Start by marking “Make It In America - The Case for Reinventing the Economy” as Want to Read:
Make It In America - The Case for Reinventing the Economy

Make It In America - The Case for Reinventing the Economy

The case for revolutionizing the U.S. economy, from a leading CEO America used to define itself by the things we built. We designed and produced the world's most important innovations, and in doing so, created a vibrant manufacturing sector that established the middle class. We manufactured our way to the top and became the undisputed economic leader of the world. But over ...more
Published January 4th 2011 by John Wiley & Sons (first published December 16th 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about Make It In America - The Case for Reinventing the Economy

Helen
Mar 09, 2017 Helen rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Adults.
Although this is clearly a slickly-written book, and easy and fast to read, it is in the end terribly dull, plus I do not agree with the author's central thesis (that only manufactured goods - concrete things - generate value) and that's why I had to give Mr. Liveris only two stars for his book.

This book interested me because I thought it might hold a clue to Trump's "philosophy" of reviving manufacturing in the Rust Belt. There are some things in "Make It In America" that seem similar to what
Upom
This book makes me angry, but not because of the writing. It makes me angry, because it reminds what a shit world and legacy the baby boomers have left us to fix. A stagnant and eroding economy, lack of social mobility, and a broken infrastructure are all challenges that face us as Americans. What's worse, most leaders understand what the problems are and what the start for potential solutions are, but a mangled political system continues to hemorrhage the country's strength and future.
These
Marks54
Oct 24, 2011 Marks54 rated it liked it
This is a brief trade book by the CEO of Dow Chemical arguing for a renewal of manufacturing in America and against outsourcing. The key argument is that by outsourcing manufacturing, one is also outsourcing the related businesses in the value chain/vertical chain (suppliers, buyers, etc.) and thus losing lots more jobs than just the manufacturing jobs alone. Moreover, Liveris argues that manufacturing and R&D are often strongly linked, so getting rid of manufacturing will also harm innovati ...more
Sep 06, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
This isn’t a book that only an economics major would find interesting! The author, the CEO of Dow, provides a lot of eye opening information about the state of manufacturing around the world today and his ideas about what can be done to make America a world leader in manufacturing again. I think this is a very timely book to read, given the elections coming up in a year. The author makes the case for how both government and business could and should work together.
David Glad
Feb 25, 2013 David Glad rated it really liked it
Good book for what it was, but unlikely most (or possibly any) of his suggestions would be adopted.

Topics discussed:
Economic incentives. Singapore hugely entices companies to move there. China surprisingly has some crazy green incentives where it would cover as much as 50% of the upfront cost of a plant, offering low-interest loans, and other benefits.

Uniform regulations versus state level. Some regulations, especially reactionary on children's toys, impose restrictions varying at the state leve
Jon
Apr 14, 2013 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm in two minds about this book. The main message of the Andrew Livers (CEO of DOW Chemicals) is not new: That manufacturing cannot be separated from research and innovation and by outsourcing manufacturing you will also indirectly outsource innovation and research. No place else is constant improvement being made than in manufacturing processes.

On the one hand this message needs to be reiterated again and again until countries acknowledge that they will lose the companies and the expertise and
Robert Rich
This book was probably obsolete when it was published, and is certainly so today. The author bemoans a loss of manufacturing in the United States, but now the trend has begun to reverse thanks to cheap domestic natural gas. Surprising that a chemical CEO would not mention such factors. Also, he didn't articulate the U.S. strengths in manufacturing clearly and specifically.

I was disappointed that he also tended to focus only on liberal policy prescriptions and celebrate only Democratic politician
Mark
Dec 06, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing
I debated between 4 and 5 stars and decided it barely made five. A great book by a CEO with moderate balanced political views. It is hard to find someone who isn't politically charged to take a cold hard look at when the government is success and not so success at interacting with the market. I believe Andrew did a great job of explaining when government interaction is positive and in some cases desperately needed. I was convinced by the end of the book that manufacturing is important to the US ...more
Vaughn
A call to action for partnership between government and business on key, strategic initiatives that will transform the US into a once again thriving environment of innovation. But as Mr. Liveris says, American citizens have a responsibility; specifically, to make our voice heard.

I wish we had a presidential candidate that would act and deliver on a platform such as the one described in these pages.
Nicole
Aug 13, 2011 Nicole rated it it was ok
This was an interesting read. It was a clearly crafted call to action. I don't know enough of the economic climate or complicated relationships to give a true critique of the message, but it made sense in many place and was at least a hopeful message and motivated action instead of just passive acceptance.
Charles
Feb 15, 2012 Charles rated it really liked it
Should manufacturing be a major part of the US economy? This book makes the case that it should, but will require help. This is an issue near and dear to my heart so this book should be interesting.
Ross
May 05, 2013 Ross rated it really liked it
Dow's CEO Andrew Liveris has given Americans a must read book on the need for an industrial policy in the U.S. to create/revive an advanced manufacturing sector in the U.S. The book is a concise and well-written blueprint for how to do that.
Larry
May 03, 2014 Larry rated it really liked it
the author discusses the lost of manufacturing jobs to foreign countries and real solutions. I feel ambivalent about giving manufacturing business huge tax breaks and land to bing manufacturing back to the united states.
Ryan
Apr 02, 2011 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pr, economic
Obviously, it is all about lobby thing, but written with extraodrinary rhetoric skills, it also became very attractive and resonable, every jounalists and PR practitioners should read and learn from it.
Hadrian
Mar 26, 2011 Hadrian rated it really liked it
Stop eating my reviews ;_;

Good book, sensible economic policies about manufacturing, business-govt. cooperation, education, immigration. Shame they're being passed over.
Charles Stahl
Apr 19, 2011 Charles Stahl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EVERYONE should read this book - these are must-follow steps to make the US a leader again in cutting-edge manufacturing...
Cchsu
Mar 18, 2013 Cchsu rated it liked it
Easy read.
Reinforces the knowledge of manufacturing basis : raw material / energy; markets; politics and People.
Kim
Aug 02, 2013 Kim rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
major disappointment
Brent
Brent rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Michael Knolla
Michael Knolla rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2017
Soyeun
Soyeun rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Tanya
Tanya rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2011
Dave Lum
Dave Lum rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2012
Duang
Duang rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2011
Luis
Luis rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2011
Sherrie Aycock
Sherrie Aycock rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Dana Duffy Backs
Dana Duffy Backs rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2011
Irene
Irene rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2017
Anthony
Anthony rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Nation of Takers: America’s Entitlement Epidemic
  • Big Data Now: 2012 Edition
  • Overhaul: An Insider's Account of the Obama Administration's Emergency Rescue of the Auto Industry
  • Bailout Nation: How Greed and Easy Money Corrupted Wall Street and Shook the World Economy
  • China Airborne
  • Simone Weil
  • Biopunk: Kitchen-Counter Scientists Hack the Software of Life
  • As China Goes, So Goes the World: How Chinese Consumers Are Transforming Everything
  • A Man and His Ship: America's Greatest Naval Architect and His Quest to Build the S.S. United States
  • The Next Convergence: The Future of Economic Growth in a Multispeed World
  • A Shortcut Through Time: The Path to the Quantum Computer
  • Time to Start Thinking: America in the Age of Descent
  • Masters of Enterprise: Giants of American Business from John Jacob Astor and J.P. Morgan to Bill Gates and Oprah Winfrey
  • Remix: Making Art and Commerce Thrive in the Hybrid Economy