Start by marking “Make It In America - The Case for Reinventing the Economy” as Want to Read:
Make It In America - The Case for Reinventing the Economy

Make It In America - The Case for Reinventing the Economy

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  17 reviews
America used to define itself by the things it built. We designed and produced the world's most important innovations, and in doing so, created a vibrant manufacturing sector that built the middle class. We manufactured our way to the top and became the undisputed economic leader among all nations.
Published January 4th 2011 by John Wiley & Sons (first published December 16th 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about Make It In America - The Case for Reinventing the Economy

Upom
This book makes me angry, but not because of the writing. It makes me angry, because it reminds what a shit world and legacy the baby boomers have left us to fix. A stagnant and eroding economy, lack of social mobility, and a broken infrastructure are all challenges that face us as Americans. What's worse, most leaders understand what the problems are and what the start for potential solutions are, but a mangled political system continues to hemorrhage the country's strength and future.
These
Marks54
This is a brief trade book by the CEO of Dow Chemical arguing for a renewal of manufacturing in America and against outsourcing. The key argument is that by outsourcing manufacturing, one is also outsourcing the related businesses in the value chain/vertical chain (suppliers, buyers, etc.) and thus losing lots more jobs than just the manufacturing jobs alone. Moreover, Liveris argues that manufacturing and R&D are often strongly linked, so getting rid of manufacturing will also harm innovati ...more
This isn’t a book that only an economics major would find interesting! The author, the CEO of Dow, provides a lot of eye opening information about the state of manufacturing around the world today and his ideas about what can be done to make America a world leader in manufacturing again. I think this is a very timely book to read, given the elections coming up in a year. The author makes the case for how both government and business could and should work together.
David Glad
Good book for what it was, but unlikely most (or possibly any) of his suggestions would be adopted.

Topics discussed:
Economic incentives. Singapore hugely entices companies to move there. China surprisingly has some crazy green incentives where it would cover as much as 50% of the upfront cost of a plant, offering low-interest loans, and other benefits.

Uniform regulations versus state level. Some regulations, especially reactionary on children's toys, impose restrictions varying at the state leve
Jon
I'm in two minds about this book. The main message of the Andrew Livers (CEO of DOW Chemicals) is not new: That manufacturing cannot be separated from research and innovation and by outsourcing manufacturing you will also indirectly outsource innovation and research. No place else is constant improvement being made than in manufacturing processes.

On the one hand this message needs to be reiterated again and again until countries acknowledge that they will lose the companies and the expertise and
Robert Rich
This book was probably obsolete when it was published, and is certainly so today. The author bemoans a loss of manufacturing in the United States, but now the trend has begun to reverse thanks to cheap domestic natural gas. Surprising that a chemical CEO would not mention such factors. Also, he didn't articulate the U.S. strengths in manufacturing clearly and specifically.

I was disappointed that he also tended to focus only on liberal policy prescriptions and celebrate only Democratic politician
Larry
the author discusses the lost of manufacturing jobs to foreign countries and real solutions. I feel ambivalent about giving manufacturing business huge tax breaks and land to bing manufacturing back to the united states.
Mark
I debated between 4 and 5 stars and decided it barely made five. A great book by a CEO with moderate balanced political views. It is hard to find someone who isn't politically charged to take a cold hard look at when the government is success and not so success at interacting with the market. I believe Andrew did a great job of explaining when government interaction is positive and in some cases desperately needed. I was convinced by the end of the book that manufacturing is important to the US ...more
Vaughn
A call to action for partnership between government and business on key, strategic initiatives that will transform the US into a once again thriving environment of innovation. But as Mr. Liveris says, American citizens have a responsibility; specifically, to make our voice heard.

I wish we had a presidential candidate that would act and deliver on a platform such as the one described in these pages.
Nicole
This was an interesting read. It was a clearly crafted call to action. I don't know enough of the economic climate or complicated relationships to give a true critique of the message, but it made sense in many place and was at least a hopeful message and motivated action instead of just passive acceptance.
Ross
Dow's CEO Andrew Liveris has given Americans a must read book on the need for an industrial policy in the U.S. to create/revive an advanced manufacturing sector in the U.S. The book is a concise and well-written blueprint for how to do that.
Ryan
Obviously, it is all about lobby thing, but written with extraodrinary rhetoric skills, it also became very attractive and resonable, every jounalists and PR practitioners should read and learn from it.
Charles
Should manufacturing be a major part of the US economy? This book makes the case that it should, but will require help. This is an issue near and dear to my heart so this book should be interesting.
Hadrian
Stop eating my reviews ;_;

Good book, sensible economic policies about manufacturing, business-govt. cooperation, education, immigration. Shame they're being passed over.
Charles Stahl
EVERYONE should read this book - these are must-follow steps to make the US a leader again in cutting-edge manufacturing...
Cchsu
Easy read.
Reinforces the knowledge of manufacturing basis : raw material / energy; markets; politics and People.
Kim
major disappointment
Phillip.ray11
Phillip.ray11 marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Andrés H.
Andrés H. marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Griffith Thomas
Griffith Thomas marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Victor Mihalcea
Victor Mihalcea marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Tudor
Tudor marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Ram Venkar
Ram Venkar marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Justinas Rakita
Justinas Rakita marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Marian Suwono
Marian Suwono marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015