Start by marking “Bear Daughter” as Want to Read:
Bear Daughter

Bear Daughter

When a twelve-year-old wakes up as a human girl-instead of a bear-one cloudy morning, she embarks on a thrilling journey through both mortal and immortal mend her past, face her fears, and save all of the realms in which she treads.
Published November 28th 2006 by Ace Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bear Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear Daughter

Elizabeth Anne
Mar 31, 2007 Elizabeth Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans
Shelves: booksread
Cloud has spent the first twelve years of her life as a bear, the happy daughter of a human woman called Thrush, and a bear father, called Lord Stink, who is one of the First People. The book opens at some point after her stepfather, Lord Rumble, has killed, and eaten the heart of, her father, and taken her mother for his woman.

A lot of people are surprised that Cloud became human. No one expected it. Cloud's lost her memories, too. The only things she remembers are glimpsed in dreams and images
Oct 25, 2007 Melinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know this may be an odd thing to say - but one of the things that I LOVED about this book - is that it sort of read like a video game. What do I mean by that? The way that you begin in one location, learn and experience things there, then move on to other locations. When you come back to the original location, you see it in a completely new way - remembering how you pictured it when you first saw it - but now see it through a more mature lens. That may make sense to no one but me - but it was ...more
Cena Keegan
Aug 05, 2007 Cena Keegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who love's fantasy.
It was a very tasteful action pack, romantic (though not much, Intesnse book. I recomend it to anyone who like's fantasy.
Sep 09, 2007 Brownbetty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bear Daughter is quite obviously set among pre-contact west-coast natives. Berman is an anthropologist specializing in west-coast natives, but I was a bit uneasy reading something so saturated in native folklore written by a white woman. However, at no point did I feel that she presumed, although obviously, I am not an expert. I was also reassured by reading the author's essay on her struggle not to appropriate. []. It's a thoughtful essay, and one which ...more
Aug 21, 2007 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant weaving of Native American myths into a coherent fantasy-scape. Luminous prose, masterful plotting, and a believable herione.
Oct 01, 2007 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A novel that in some respects is as raw as its protagonist. Riddled throughout with emotion, adventure, toil, tricksome spirits, and bodily fluids of all varieties. Fans of fantasy that draws on Native American traditions will especially enjoy the themes and imagery.
Feb 19, 2009 Roxanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I was so pleasantly surprised by this book. The heroine, Cloud, got on my nerves at times, but she grew and changed over the course of the book. It's a coming-of-age story, a story about learning to accept responsibility and fulfill obligations, a story about wanting and giving. Most of all I think Cloud comes to know herself--she looks back at her past mistakes and wants to do better. Recommended.
Cathy rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2009
Leena rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2009
Sep 07, 2009 Tani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a chance find. I went to the library looking for books for the Fall Challenge at the Seasonal Reading Challenge Group, and while I was browsing the fantasy books, my eyes happened to fall on this one. And what a stroke of good fortune that was!

I'll admit, the book started a little slow, by which I mean I spent the first half thinking it would be 4 stars instead of 5. Sometimes, Cloud was hard to empathize with, and sometimes her self-pity was annoying. Mostly, it was an understandable
Apr 28, 2010 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one--I thought it was going one way, and the story totally went in a different direction. I did feel that the heroine was a little suspicious about Black Fin's motives, but considering her background & previous treatment by her step-father, it makes sense. I think a sequel would be fun, but I don't want to create a spoiler so I won't say who I would like to hear more about. : ) Hope to see more novels from this author.
Kelly Flanagan
Jun 01, 2010 Kelly Flanagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, mostly teen/young female adults
Mar 04, 2013 Rosie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely a fantasy adventure novel. At around the age of 8 or so, Cloud, the heroine, turns from a bear into a human girl. She's born into a community with an evil king. Her mom is the queen, of course. The only way to rid the community of evil is for Cloud to go find her bear father's bones and send them onto the next world. While she is doing this, she goes on all kinds of adventures to different lands and stuff happens. It's a lot more violent than I thought it was going to be. I ha ...more
Lila (formerly Jalilah)
After reading Bear Daughter for the second time, I still feel it merits 5 stars. It is no wonder that Terri Wendling, the author and founder of the Endicott studio, praised it so highly and put it on her Mythic Fiction list. I was told it is out of print when I wanted to buy my own copy. I guess it did not sell well. This is unfortunate because it is really an amazing novel! I think some of it may have to do with the cover. I read that the author was also not happy with it calling it “problemat ...more
David Marshall
Feb 14, 2011 David Marshall rated it did not like it
The phrase that comes to mind is, "ghastly beyond belief". Even the girl on the cover looks as sick as a parrot. It's rare for me to find a book so awful. Perhaps it's my time of the month.
Matt Larkin
Matt Larkin rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2011
Nov 19, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this story. Non-typical setting--similar to the Northwest coast (pre-European)--interesting exploration of a Haida-like, folkloric-type story. Interesting character development, and a mature, non-cliche resolution.
Erin rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2011
Tessa Tallulah
Tessa Tallulah rated it really liked it
May 30, 2012
Nov 01, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such an unusual book! I loved how the native mythology was used to create this wonderful fantasy setting. Every twist was a surprise, nothing happened as I expected it.
The characters were vibrant and realistic, the language easy to follow, but still descriptive and imaginative. Overall an unexpected, pleasant read.
Apr 05, 2013 S.L. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued by the concept of the story, but ultimately, I set it aside. It may be because I didn't read it all in one sitting but read it in pieces over a long stretch, but it never fully engaged me. I'm not intrigued enough to give it another try.
Confusing as this book can sometimes be,the writing is strong and confident,like bear daughter herself,most of the time. This mythological tale does not pretend to be an authentic retelling,but as an original fantasy it is nevertheless evocative of native tribal ways,long ago when the borders between worlds were more fluid.Like the original myths,this one too has a moral that we can apply to our own lives with less difficulty than the plucky heroine,who faces the ultimate of identity crises.

It i
Pam rated it it was ok
Mar 01, 2014
Stephanie Matthews
Stephanie Matthews rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2014
Oct 27, 2014 Aelvana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's about a bear who wakes up a girl one morning and has to try to become human, though there's really a lot more to it than that. It's got a very nice setting; the people remind me somewhat of Indians, but they have their own distinct and vivid culture. The prose was nice and easy to read, but the content was at times a bit disturbing. The main character nearly gets raped once (by her step-father, no less), and an awful lot of gore. Neutral because of the vast amount of violence.
Jun 19, 2015 Jiagemented rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like fairytales or fantasy coming-of-age stories
I think this book is seriously underrated; it was definitely one of the most unique and intriguing books I've read in a while.

I would call it a "realistic epic fairytale." The fairytale part is obvious: it's full of robes that allow someone to change shape, magical boxes and tools, houses located at the edge of the world, trips to the underworld, and monsters that lure people away to eat them. Although the mythology is apparently based on Canadian First Nations/Native American folklore (I actua
Book content warnings:
sexual assault

I stumbled across this book completely by chance in a used bookstore. I hesitated to get it because of the (obviously) white girl on the cover, but after seeing this interview by the author that other reviewers provided, I decided to grab it. Judith Berman talks about cultural appropriation, the research that went into the book, and her displeasure with the cover.

Bear Daughter is a book set in an alternate world, based on the cultures of the Northwest Coast N
Sep 03, 2015 Se_Ing rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shenwei rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
One day a bear wakes up as a 12-year-old girl, and her life is changed.

Cloud is the human Thrush's daughter, but also Lord Stink's--the bear king. When she awakens as a girl Thrush's current husband Rumble ostracizes her, and her Aunt Glory takes her into her own home and teaches her how to be human. But when Rumble killed Lord Stink and Cloud's brothers, he took on some of Lord Stink's power, and that power is corrupting him and the human world.

Haunted by dreams of her ghost brothers, Cloud mus
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Into the Forest: Bear Daughter by Judith Berman 23 15 Jul 01, 2016 06:58PM
Endicott Mythic F...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Bear Daughter by Judith Berman - discussion 13 40 Apr 22, 2015 12:25PM
was thrush madly in love with cloud's father? 1 1 Mar 24, 2015 08:10AM
  • The Afterlife of Stars
  • A Smuggler's Bible
  • Linger Awhile
  • The Starseed Transmissions
  • Puss in Boots (Timeless Fairy Tales, #6)
  • The Radiant City
  • With or Without God: Why the Way We Live is More Important than What We Believe
  • In the Courtyard of the Kabbalist
  • Broken Prince (The Broken Ones, #2)
  • Deshoras