Bear Daughter

Bear Daughter

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  17 reviews
When a twelve-year-old wakes up as a human girl-instead of a bear-one cloudy morning, she embarks on a thrilling journey through both mortal and immortal worlds...to mend her past, face her fears, and save all of the realms in which she treads.
Published November 28th 2006 by Ace Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bear Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear Daughter

Brownbetty
Bear Daughter is quite obviously set among pre-contact west-coast natives. Berman is an anthropologist specializing in west-coast natives, but I was a bit uneasy reading something so saturated in native folklore written by a white woman. However, at no point did I feel that she presumed, although obviously, I am not an expert. I was also reassured by reading the author's essay on her struggle not to appropriate. [http://www.vectormagazine.co.uk/artic...]. It's a thoughtful essay, and one which...more
Jalilah
After reading Bear Daughter for the second time, I still feel it merits 5 stars. It is no wonder that Terri Wendling, the author and founder of the Endicott studio, praised it so highly and put it on her Mythic Fiction list. I was told it is out of print when I wanted to buy my own copy. I guess it did not sell well. This is unfortunate because it is really an amazing novel! I think some of it may have to do with the cover. I read that the author was also not happy with it calling it “problemat...more
Magdelanye
Confusing as this book can sometimes be,the writing is strong and confident,like bear daughter herself,most of the time. This mythological tale does not pretend to be an authentic retelling,but as an original fantasy it is nevertheless evocative of native tribal ways,long ago when the borders between worlds were more fluid.Like the original myths,this one too has a moral that we can apply to our own lives with less difficulty than the plucky heroine,who faces the ultimate of identity crises.

It i...more
Kelly Flanagan
Jun 01, 2010 Kelly Flanagan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, mostly teen/young female adults
Tani
This was a chance find. I went to the library looking for books for the Fall Challenge at the Seasonal Reading Challenge Group, and while I was browsing the fantasy books, my eyes happened to fall on this one. And what a stroke of good fortune that was!

I'll admit, the book started a little slow, by which I mean I spent the first half thinking it would be 4 stars instead of 5. Sometimes, Cloud was hard to empathize with, and sometimes her self-pity was annoying. Mostly, it was an understandable...more
Elizabeth Anne
Mar 31, 2007 Elizabeth Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans
Shelves: booksread
Cloud has spent the first twelve years of her life as a bear, the happy daughter of a human woman called Thrush, and a bear father, called Lord Stink, who is one of the First People. The book opens at some point after her stepfather, Lord Rumble, has killed, and eaten the heart of, her father, and taken her mother for his woman.

A lot of people are surprised that Cloud became human. No one expected it. Cloud's lost her memories, too. The only things she remembers are glimpsed in dreams and images...more
Rosie
This is definitely a fantasy adventure novel. At around the age of 8 or so, Cloud, the heroine, turns from a bear into a human girl. She's born into a community with an evil king. Her mom is the queen, of course. The only way to rid the community of evil is for Cloud to go find her bear father's bones and send them onto the next world. While she is doing this, she goes on all kinds of adventures to different lands and stuff happens. It's a lot more violent than I thought it was going to be. I ha...more
Melinda
I know this may be an odd thing to say - but one of the things that I LOVED about this book - is that it sort of read like a video game. What do I mean by that? The way that you begin in one location, learn and experience things there, then move on to other locations. When you come back to the original location, you see it in a completely new way - remembering how you pictured it when you first saw it - but now see it through a more mature lens. That may make sense to no one but me - but it was...more
Lauren
I really enjoyed this one--I thought it was going one way, and the story totally went in a different direction. I did feel that the heroine was a little suspicious about Black Fin's motives, but considering her background & previous treatment by her step-father, it makes sense. I think a sequel would be fun, but I don't want to create a spoiler so I won't say who I would like to hear more about. : ) Hope to see more novels from this author.
Roxanne
I was so pleasantly surprised by this book. The heroine, Cloud, got on my nerves at times, but she grew and changed over the course of the book. It's a coming-of-age story, a story about learning to accept responsibility and fulfill obligations, a story about wanting and giving. Most of all I think Cloud comes to know herself--she looks back at her past mistakes and wants to do better. Recommended.
Angela
Such an unusual book! I loved how the native mythology was used to create this wonderful fantasy setting. Every twist was a surprise, nothing happened as I expected it.
The characters were vibrant and realistic, the language easy to follow, but still descriptive and imaginative. Overall an unexpected, pleasant read.
David Marshall
The phrase that comes to mind is, "ghastly beyond belief". Even the girl on the cover looks as sick as a parrot. It's rare for me to find a book so awful. Perhaps it's my time of the month.

Peter
A novel that in some respects is as raw as its protagonist. Riddled throughout with emotion, adventure, toil, tricksome spirits, and bodily fluids of all varieties. Fans of fantasy that draws on Native American traditions will especially enjoy the themes and imagery.
S.L.
I was intrigued by the concept of the story, but ultimately, I set it aside. It may be because I didn't read it all in one sitting but read it in pieces over a long stretch, but it never fully engaged me. I'm not intrigued enough to give it another try.
Anna
I really loved this story. Non-typical setting--similar to the Northwest coast (pre-European)--interesting exploration of a Haida-like, folkloric-type story. Interesting character development, and a mature, non-cliche resolution.
Craig
Brilliant weaving of Native American myths into a coherent fantasy-scape. Luminous prose, masterful plotting, and a believable herione.
Cena Keegan
Aug 05, 2007 Cena Keegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who love's fantasy.
It was a very tasteful action pack, romantic (though not much, Intesnse book. I recomend it to anyone who like's fantasy.
xmido
xmido marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Myra
Myra marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Qwarten
Qwarten marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Tabitha
Tabitha marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Endicott Mythic F...: Bear Daughter by Judith Berman - discussion 11 34 Feb 10, 2013 08:31AM
Topics in the Clausal Syntax of German Deutsche Syntax: Ein Arbeitsbuch (Narr Studienbücher) Deutsche Und Franz Sische Syntax Im Formalismus Der Lfg The Bank Of Montreal Building On Place D'armes, 1845 1901 Deutsche Syntax (German Edition)