Start by marking “The Vampire Tapestry: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Vampire Tapestry: A Novel

The Vampire Tapestry: A Novel

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  1,249 ratings  ·  132 reviews
Hailed by Stephen King as “scary and suspenseful” and “unputdownable,” and by Peter Beagle, author of The Last Unicorn, as “The best vampire novel I have ever read,” The Vampire Tapestry examines the classic monster as a biological, rather than supernatural, predator who awakens from hibernation every few decades needing to relearn human culture.

After years of secret effor
Published (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Vampire Tapestry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vampire Tapestry

Tanja
So this book is divided into 5 novellas, some with ludicrous names.
I'll review them one by one if I get through them all... There may be mild spoilers...

The ancient mind at work:

Well... The protagonist was really annoying. As other reviewers have noted she has a ridiculous world view. There's a serial rapist loose on campus, her thoughts are: Women with sense don't get raped.
She's South African and has this weird race thing going on, where she randomly trusts black people, but spends a lot of t
Christopher Buehlman
The Vampire Tapestry is unlike any book I have yet read or expect to read. I owe a debt of thanks to Book People in Austin, Texas, for displaying it prominently above a glowing staff review, thus mining this gem from its relative and wholly undeserved obscurity. Suzy McKee Charnas has gifted us with the most credible vampire in the entire canon, a creature that would be more at home in The Scientific American than Weird Tales. We see Dr. Edward Weyland through the eyes of various satellite chara ...more
Fangs for the Fantasy
Our hunt for new series to read is ongoing and often on our blogs, or the podcast we request new titles. We are especially looking for books that are progressive and have good representations of marginalized people. Because all of our blogs are social justice related we have a tendency to trust the recommendations. The following is the recommendation that we received for the Vampire Tapestry

“I also recommend The Vampire Tapestry by Suzy McKee Charnas for vampire fiction fans. I read it years ago
Jennifer Lane
What an interesting vampire book. I'm not very familiar with the genre (Twilight is my only reference) and The Vampire Tapestry is quite different from the Twilight series. There are five novellas featuring Dr. Edward Lewis Weyland: a tall, suave, gray-haired, slightly stooped vampire. (This book was published in 1980 and due to the name "Edward Lewis" I kept picturing a taller version of Richard Gere from "Pretty Woman"!)

Dr. Weyland scoffs at those who believe vampires have fangs (his method f
Kate
vampires are publishing gold right now, what with the fallout from Twilight, Anita Blake and True Blood. When publishers have a 'vampire Romance' section on their website, you know the purchasing power a literary fad has got to be considerable indeed.

Some folks are ok with chewing through every vampire romance book under the sun in their lust to sake their vamp fixation. If you are one of those people looking for a demon lover/fang banging action, this is NOT the book for you.

The Vampire Tapest
Kitty
Ugh. Got to the part where the main character starts to blame the victim for being raped on campus by saying "no real woman" would let that happen to her and got so disgusted I couldn't finish. This followed by her saying another character was all but a bleeding hippy for wanting to save the ozone layer and then she slips into some weird fantasy right after where she's remembering hunting endangered big cats in Africa during her youth. I think I'll take my vampire novels without Ilsa, She Wolf o ...more
Will Byrnes
Andrew
I have to say that Ms. Charnas has taken a very clever and new look at the vampire. This isn't at all the Dracula, Anne Rice hero, or any of the brooding young guys on television or the movies. I wasn't immediately engaged in the book, but after a couple of chapters I just gave into the story being told. I accepted the perameters that she had set for her vampire and gave up all other notions. I believe this is what allowed me to become deeply engaged with the book. Her writing is exquisite and t ...more
Steph
The Vampire Tapestry is the type of vampire book I'd find prior to all the PNR/UF books out now.

The books consists of five novellas that run chronologically to form a full length novel when read together. The first three are all written from the POV of three people who cross paths with Dr. Edward Weyland and recognize him for what he is, vampire.

The final story is told from Dr. Weyland’s perspective where he realizes the consequences of living too closely with his prey and the effects it has
Julie Paugh
Charnas is a capable writer but this book really, really SUCKED. I read about 3/4 of it and I just couldn't bear to read anymore. I can't imagine how anyone could take a vampire and make him so completely and unbearably dull. This vampire didn't even have fangs-he had a probiscus under his tongue and used his tongue to suck blood from arms. The vampire was older and ran a sleep-study program at a university which was profoundly fitting since he put me to sleep every time I tried to read about hi ...more
Christina
Despite the "Scary" endorsement from Stephen King on the front cover, this wasn't, really. And despite the title and the presence of a human-shaped blood-drinker, it really wasn't about vampires. More a stately exploration of questions like, What does it mean to be human? What is Art and why/how does it affect the observer, human or otherwise? What does it mean to be a predator? To have/want/use power?

Oddly, this make me think about The Sparrow, which is really nothing like this except possib
Peggy
No capes. No bats. No fangs. Charnas takes an almost anthropological look at what a predator whose main prey is man might realy be like, and the picture is amazing and haunting and sad.
Dean
I love this book,it never talks down to the reader,and tells the story without being stupid.
It's a must for the lover of the vampire tale.
Just damn well done.
Elke
Another one of those books I purchased years ago and then forgot about... Reading everywhere what a great book this is, I finally picked it up for reading with high hopes. Unfortunately, this book did not meet my expectations, though I really wanted to like it.

The story consists of several episodes in the life of Edward Weyland, Vampire. Dr. Weyland is not your usual vampire, for once missing the expected vampire teeth and instead feeding through a needle-like tube protruding from his tongue. An
Hind
Creepy, psycho-analytical thriller

Mythology: No fangs, immortality (inter-spaced between Rip Van Winkle-like states), highly intelligent and adaptable, no special superpowers, needs blood to survive; venom numbs victims, can walk about in daylight.
Bella Scale: -100 Bellas. Dr. Wayland could have James for lunch and probably would intimidate even the Volturi. He’s thoughtful, strong, willful, charming and a survivor to the last. Bella, who?

Written in 1980, this is a history of the vampire, Dr. Ed
Laura Leane
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Πολύ ενδιαφέρον βιβλίο, με πολύ έξυπνες ιδέες. Οι χαρακτήρες είναι κρυστάλλινα αληθινοί, η πρόζα στιβαρή. Εκτός από το σημείο με την όπερα, που το βρήκα μάλλον τραβηγμένο για το ρόλο που παίζει στην εξέλιξη, όπως και για το μάλλον μοιρολατρικό τέλος, που μουτζούρωσε λιγάκι την ιδέα που είχα για τον πρωταγωνιστή.
Jennifer D. Munro
I expected to be blown away by this pre-AIDS vampire novel but I was not. The characters too easily believed that this man was a vampire on not much evidence, particularly the therapist. In half a second the characters figure out that he's really a vampire. How much more interesting if the therapist had continued trying to treat a man with "delusions" of being a vampire, all the while not knowing that he really was one. Still, an interesting read, with the beginning sections more compelling than ...more
I guess this book deserves around 2.5 stars. It was better then ok but not really good either. I thought the vampire (Weyland)was kind of interesting because he was so different from any vampire in a book out there. He's in his fifties, he has no fangs but a proboscis under his tongue, he is a university professor, sleeps for decades on end when he's done pretending he's human, has no real idea how he came to be or how old he is, or any of his past relationships. Although stronger than a human h ...more
Fábio Fernandes
This is one of the best vampire books I ever read - comparable to Lucius Shepard's The Golden, albeit in a very different tone. In The Vampire Tapestry, Suzy McKee Charnas keep it simple - and at the same time incredibly complex. There is only one vampire in the world (as far as he - and us - know), and he is old and very lonely. Although he's no monster, he's not quite human - but he has more things in common with us than he's willing to admit. That's why (easy, no spoilers here, this is in the ...more
Naomi
Excellent vampire story. No romance, just a bleak look at life on the fringes. It' not really a horror more a look at the human condition, almost all the character's in this book are sad and slightly pathetic. Nicely written.
It probably won't appeal to readers who enjoy urban/paranormal (Twilight ect), but as a long look at people it's pretty good.
Elizabeth
Angela
Quote from the back cover: "Brilliant, charming anthropologist, Dr. Edward Weyland is living one of his lifetimes in the quick-paced complex world of 20th century America -- where a vampire must adapt quickly if he is to hunt freely...to feed his insatiable hunger on the soft white necks of beautiful women..."

This is a fabulous vampire novel. The story is told in five sections. Weyland has a "normal" life which is turned upside down by the discovery of his secret. He has an apparent mental break
DoctorM
Forget Anne Rice. Forget the 'Twilight' books. This is the best vampire novel I've ever read--- austere, cold, intellectual. And Dr. Edward Weyland is to Robert Pattinson what 25-year Tomintoul single-malt is to cheap malt liquor. Read this. Full stop. Read it.
Ellen Maze
WOW! We should go back in time and read these classic and original vampire tales. I was mesmerized by this book in my late teens, and now reading it again 20 years later, I am still enthralled with Dr. Weyland. Wow. Just... Wow.
Marian
This book is unlike any currently popular "vampire" novel. There is nothing romantic about the vampire, who is almost clinical in his assessment of his nature and that of his prey. Interesting reading.
Jennifer Lauren Collins
Intensely clever and original, this will stand as one of my favorite vampire novels along with Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire and Jonathan Nasaw's The World on Blood. Charnas' work has all of the play and suspense you might expect of a novel built around a vampire, but moves forward with more humanity and introspection that you'd usually find, and paces itself with such surprise that it's a wonderfully unique and surprising read.

I'll admit: it starts out slowly, so slowly in fact that I
Terence
One of the better novels from the "vampire" phase of my reading career.
Estelle
Excellent take on the vampire mythos in a modern setting
Tanya Patrice
There are five novellas featuring the vampire Dr. Weyland, but they're interconnected and represent different periods of his life during this recent awakening (he hibernates for long periods of time, and when he wakes up, he uusally doesn't remember his past). This was an intriguing concept, but the book was a slog to get through most of the time.

The first story, The Ancient Mind at Work, features a female character who "discovers" that Weyland is a vampire. This revelation is utterly unbelievab
  • The Golden
  • Vampire Junction
  • Renfield: Slave of Dracula
  • Sunglasses After Dark (Sonja Blue, #1)
  • Fourth Mansions
  • Half Past Human
  • Mina
  • Lord Of The Dead
  • I, Vampire: The Confessions of a Vampire - His Life, His Loves, His Strangest Desires ...
  • Kiss of the Vampire (Creed, #1)
  • The Hunger (Hunger, #1)
  • Deserted Cities of the Heart
  • Blood Alone (Austra Family, #2)
  • The Dracula Tape (Dracula Series, #1)
  • Assemblers of Infinity
  • Some of Your Blood
  • The Dream Years
  • The Book of Common Dread: A Novel of the Infernal (Vincent DeVilbiss, #1)
Suzy McKee Charnas was born and educated in New York City, attending Barnard College as an Economic History major (1961) and, after a two-year stint in Nigeria with the Peace Corps, New York University (MAT, 1965). She taught at the New Lincoln School in New York until Flower Fifth Avenue Hospital hired her away as a curriculum consultant for their high school drug-abuse treatment program. In 1969 ...more
More about Suzy McKee Charnas...
Walk to the End of the World Motherlines (Holdfast Chronicles, #2) The Furies (The Holdfast Chronicles, #3) The Slave and The Free: Books 1 and 2 of 'The Holdfast Chronicles': 'Walk to the End of the World' and 'Motherlines' The Conqueror's Child (Holdfast Chronicles, #4)

“Creatures stalking each other over time grew a bond from mind to mind.” 2 likes