Start by marking “Ultimate Comics X: Origins” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Comics X: Origins

Ultimate Comics X: Origins (Coleccionable Ultimate #55)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  35 reviews

Who-or what-is Ultimate X? The answers and even more secrets arrive in the all new ULTIMATE X series from the superstar dream team of JEPH LOEB and ART ADAMS. Wolverine is dead. Captain America is a fugitive. The Fantastic Four disbanded. Lives have been destroyed and nothing can ever be the same-is there any hope left? It all begins with a search for a brand new character

Published November 9th 2011 by Marvel (first published December 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Comics X, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Comics X

I didn't think it was possible for Jeph Loeb to redeem himself. Some of the stuff he's written? Pure crap.
However, this was fun!
Yes, most of the original characters are dead, but since it's the Ultimate Universe...well, I guess that's ok.
So what we have here are pretty cool introductions to some of the new X-Men. Sons or daughters of the original characters, a few surviving original characters, and then some new guys. Oh yeah, and the Hulk.
Trust me. It's the coolest part.

If you hate the
Yes, Ultimatum was terrible and Who Killed the Scarlet Witch was, too, but Thor Reborn was merely tepid. Loeb is slowly showing me he can create a narrative without shitting all over everything I once liked about characters he uses. And he's showing me that the story can even reach the low bar of coherency that I expect from my superhero comics.

I guess I'm having a hard time saying this...but, good job Jeph. You didn't fuck up.

The X-Men were the reason I started reading Ultimate Comics in the fi
Holden Attradies
My initial reaction to this had been pretty positive. But as I was reading other Goodreads reviews before writing this (as I normally do) I came to realize I only thought it was good because my bar of expectations from a Jeph Loeb story was so incredibly low. I feel the best I can say was, yeah, it wasn't utter shit.

The narration during each issue was something I really didn't like. What was being said was good, but the way it was paced out over every panel just didn't fit what was going on. It
Excellent group of characters all handled (and "introduced") very well and even handedly, with superb illustration from Arthur Adams!
If they keep Loeb and Adams together on this it could be very fun indeed!
Sean Brennan
Enjoyable! Hulk in the X-men?.
Ultimate Comics X: Origins by Jeph Loeb takes place shortly after the events in Ultimate X-men where the deaths of most of the X-Men take place and mutants go into hiding. Normally this would be a terrific opportunity to bring new characters into the fray, much as what happened when Marvel released its 2099 line a few years back. And with Jeph Loeb at the helm you would expect the stories themselves to be strong and emotionally gripping.

They're not. There is actually very little about this comi
I normally have zero interest in the "ultimate" universe. I once tried to read the Spider-Man comic and it was awful. I don't even like the name; it implies that there's something lesser about the original universe.

But this book was drawn by Arthur Adams. So...

Magneto and Charles Xavier are both dead. Mutants are now considered terrorists and are arrested or shot on sight. Now, two new brotherhoods are forming, each following in the footsteps of their mentor, and each believing they are doing th
Federiken Masters
Gratísima sorpresa, mitad mérito del genial dibujo de Adams, y mitad mérito del guion de un Loeb bastante inspirado, casi irreconocible con respecto al pochoclo con patas que fue Ultimatum. Me gusta cómo presenta a los personajes nuevos, me gusta cómo "esconde" y replantea a los viejos, y me gusta el desarrollo general. ¡Hasta me dejó con ganas de leer más! Otra buena muestra de que cuando Jeph Loeb tiene ganas de divertir y divertirse puede llegar a niveles más que dignos.
Cameron Johnson
Although I have not read many of the X-Men comics, I know a fair bit about their story arcs. The events this one relates back to is something I was aware of, so I did not feel lost. Though the stakes are set high, the tension is never really there after each mutant is retrieved. If anything, I tended to feel more for the families than the actual mutants. The one exception to this is Karen, who has to live with the past she tried to run from.

To be honest, I never really heard about this story-li
La Revistería Comics
¿Quién (o qué) es X? La respuesta, junto con unos cuantos secretos que llegarán de las manos del dream team formado por Jeph Loeb y Arthur Adams, está en estas páginas. En un mundo en el que Lobezno ha muerto, el Capitán América es un fugitivo, Los 4 Fantásticos se han separado e incontables héroes han caído, ¿cuál es la última esperanza? Cuando lo descubras, tendrás que recoger tu mandíbula para volverla a colocar en su sitio.

En el apartado gráfico hay que destacar la labor de Arthur Adams
Back in my high school days anything drawn by Art Adams was not only far and few between, but also a complete joy to witness. Thankfully, Art Adams still has it and has never lost his magic touch. I knew going in this was supposed to be a popular tale because it took 2-3 years of waiting for the trade-paperback. It annoys me how publishers will slow to a crawl releasing good material in many formats as the story was collected in HC first, a year ago. While I enjoyed the complete package, ie., th ...more
With the destruction of the X-Men, the world now hunts all mutants. Scattered, and without purpose many are in hiding, while others are unaware of what they are. In this introductory volume, the next generation of mutant heroes are brought together by "Karen", better known as Jean Gray, who after the fall of the X-Men finds herself in anguish and alone. Most of the others are new to the universe, although several are descended from the original bunch. Depth is given to each of them through the n ...more
John White
This is a very good run of stories it reintroduces and re-envisions the X-Men team dynamic. It is a solid piece of writing and picks up the pieces from a very hard place. It is closer to what marvel wanted when they first commissioned the Ultimate universe, tell new interesting stories without the weight of a long continuity. It's not perfect but it is very good.

The art work is again to a very high standard.

Can't wait to see where this series goes.
DeLace Munger
There were several things about this little foray into the Ultimate universe that I found enjoyable.

1) I liked pretty much everything about the Hulk and the story surrounding him. His appearance and origin both interested me more than the original. There's also a great scene where he beats the crap out of Sabretooth and that was just entertaining.

2) I didn't hate Jean Grey's character even though I've never cared for her in any of the other series. Maybe it was the change in her hair color, mayb
Matt Anderson
This was a pretty enjoyable read, with an intriguing new beginning for the Ultimate Universe X-Men. In this world, after the events in Ultimatum, the X-Men have disbanded, and are no longer viewed as heroes by the world. Instead, all mutants are now considered terrorists, and are killed on sight. In the midst of this chaos, a new X team is being put together (made up of some familiar faces, and some interesting, new characters). This hardcover is made up of the first five issues of what was supp ...more
Can't remember this last time I read a book that was cover to cover Arthur Adams artwork. Nice little, tasty treat.
With Jeph Loeb's writing being more miss than hit over the past few years, this was a nice surprise. Feeling more like his Batman Long Halloween work and thankfully less like his Wolverine work, or his X-Sanction work, or Ultimates, or Ultimatum, or a lot of other stuff. Initially I was picking this up strictly for Art Adams... well art, which as always is perfect. The man is a master of his craft. This book turned out to be a great read and felt surprisingly short. Functioning primarily as setu ...more
A fun little comic by Jeph Loeb. I really liked where the first five issues were taking the comic. It was a good intro to the characters and a fun little story. I'm not sure why this comic only had one volume either. Arthur Adams art was great and Loeb's story was interesting. I want to know what happens next. I really liked how they included the Hulk in this story. The Hulk was smarter than Hulk Smash, like the grey hulk of the 80's. All in all the comic was fun and a great intro to the charact ...more
Luke Samuels
Looking forward to the next...
The ending is a bit of a head-scratcher, otherwise fine.
Ketan Shah
Jeph Loeb received a lot of criticism with his handling of Ultimatum,but here in Ultimate X origins he proves that he is capable of writing good stories.Art Adams delivers detailed expressive art .if you like this you'd probably like Brian K Vaughn's Runaways.Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 1
An interesting story line was being developed. Not sure where it will go but it will be interesting to see where. The art is well done (as expected of marvel). If you enjoy comics I would recommend meeting the new generation of heroes here.
Shannon Appelcline
Generally, an OK story of a gathering of new individuals that’s somewhat anticlimaxed by the series suddenly petering out. There’s still good plot here, but Loeb does a terrible job with the narrative boxes which are largely forgettable.
Bob Parks
This was fun.
Taking the X book back to it's roots -- outsiders, hunted by the lay, feared by humanity, blah, blah, blah. All that plus Nick Fury.
Looking forward to seeing what happens post Fallout.
5 stars for art, 1 star for writing = round it up to 3 stars. With so little Art Adams art being produced, why do we have to see 5 gorgeous issues wasted on Jeph Loeb? Argh.
Bill Williams
Love the art by Adams, but the story is just so-so. What happens to Kitty after the first issue? that and other questions never get resolved.
Arthur Adams deserves a 5-star review for his beautiful art, but Jeph Loeb's 2-star story drags it down to a 3-star review.
John Ekleberry
This was fairly enjoyable... leaps and bounds better than Loeb's other work for the Ultimate Marvel U.
Art Adams that's enough for me. Loved Longshot. Lived his other stuff. Story was fine.
  • Ultimate Comics X-Men, Volume 1
  • Ultimate Comics Avengers: Next Generation
  • Ultimate Comics Captain America
  • Ultimate Comics Thor
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 22: Ultimatum
  • X-Force, Vol. 3: Not Forgotten
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 11: The Most Dangerous Game
Joseph "Jeph" Loeb III is an Emmy and WGA nominated American film and television writer, producer and award-winning comic book writer. Loeb was a Co-Executive Producer on the NBC hit show Heroes, and formerly a producer/writer on the TV series Smallville and Lost.

A four-time Eisner Award winner and five-time Wizard Fan Awards winner (see below), Loeb's comic book career includes work on many major
More about Jeph Loeb...

Coleccionable Ultimate (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility