Start by marking “In Stitches: The Highs and Lows of Life as an AandE Doctor” as Want to Read:
In Stitches: The Highs and Lows of Life as an AandE Doctor

In Stitches: The Highs and Lows of Life as an AandE Doctor

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  922 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews

The true story of an A&E doctor that became a huge word-of-mouth hit - now revised and updated.

FROM THE PUBLISHER THAT BROUGHT YOU CONFESSIONS OF A GP.

Forget what you have seen on Casualty or Holby City, this is what it is really like to be working in A&E.

Dr Nick Edwards writes with shocking honesty about life as an A&E doctor. He lifts the lid on government ta

Published (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about In Stitches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Stitches

Ryan
Nov 28, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medicine
As a pre-medical student, an aspiring doctor about to study medicine, I was hoping this would give me some idea what it would be like to be a doctor. I can't say it has - Or at least in the way I imagined of knowing what it's like in emergency medicine day-to-day. But it has opened me and perhaps prepared me for the the various problems doctors face, particularly the target culture. It would be interesting to read what he thinks of the NHS reforms currently being implemented by the Coalition gov ...more
Emy
Sep 02, 2012 Emy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, confessions
In Stitches was a collection of short anecdotes from the author's time as an Accident and Emergency (A&E) doctor in the UK.

I have mixed feelings about this book. At some points, it was funny, life-affirming and interesting; at others, it made me question why the hell I want to work for the National Health Service (NHS).

The fact is, Dr Nick Edwards complains way too much about the state of the NHS. Normally, I wouldn't mind that much - most of his complaints were valid, interesting and eye-op
Dominic
Jan 15, 2016 Dominic rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern
I am an NHS doctor and recognise a great deal of the anecdotes in this books; it certainly is a reasonable representation of the frustrations, highs and lows of working in the NHS. However, while at times this book is amusing, my overall feeling upon reading it was a sense of annoyance. Two factors make this an irritating read: the disjointed nature of the prose and the constant whinging contained within.

The disjointed prose is perhaps a necessity; it is a series of short vignettes and so will b
Brian
Feb 19, 2012 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A slightly interesting read into the real world of an A&E Doctor. However you can only take so much of Nick Edwards moaning and ranting without thinking that if he is that frustrated with the poor management & bureaucracy of the NHS then what is he trying to do personally to change it? For example there are no stories of him arguing with management only Nick Edwards raging on what the Government should be doing & how pathetic for example that money is wasted on new signs for the X-ra ...more
nicola
Feb 24, 2016 nicola rated it it was amazing
Fab

Loved this book,it really is a true take on a and e . Real insight into how hard working our NHS staff are.*******
Patricia
Jun 20, 2009 Patricia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I generally like these kinds of books - I find the concept of an A&E doctor's life very interesting. But this guy, who wrote the book as a way to whinge and relieve his day-to-day stress without completely annoying his wife and colleagues, just ended up annoying me. I agree with him - the NHS is a mess today compared to what it was when it started 60 years ago, and it is and was a wonderful service in concept - but there is so much more to writing than complaining. It could have a been a fab ...more
Mikki
Apr 20, 2012 Mikki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had hoped that this book would provide amusing, funny and good stories about life as an ER doctor. Although the author did address that there were issues with the NHS system, it was also mentioned that the books was meant to be light-hearted. Almost all of the stories were "okay" in content but the main point of the stories was almost always how and why the hospital system was faulty. I was disappointed.
Nannette
Jul 27, 2015 Nannette rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, medical
At first I was entertained by the anecdotal stories and rather bored with the NHS rants. But then I started to realise the stuff of these rants make up a large part of this A&E doctors' job. Stupid rules make it almost impossible to do his job properly. So I started paying more attention to the 'rants'. I'm not British but I can fully relate to the stupid rules and regulations as the health system in my country does not differ that much from the British. I thank Nick Edwards for writing this ...more
Jenni
Dec 09, 2014 Jenni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Stitches: The highs and lows of life as an A&E doctor by Nick Edwards is an autobiographical account of a doctor's life in a busy A&E department. The hospital is representative of any number of A&E's up and down the country and Dr Edwards uses a journal style to deliver a series of humorous snapshots of what life is like. It is full of tongue-in-cheek humour and sarcasm, especially directed at the ever increasing bureaucracy, as well as touching moments such as allowing a elderly ...more
Dani
This was a very interesting read. It follows Dr. Nick Edwards as he works in A&E, and includes a lot of great stories. Some of them were funny enough to have me laughing out loud, and others gave a great insight into the NHS and the lives of medical staff and other people who work within the hospital.

The layout was good because it was episodic, in chapters that lasted one or two pages, and therefore it was easy to pick up and put down again, and the fast pace kept it constantly interesting.
Peter
I wouldn't say this is a great book by any means, but if you're interested in seeing part of the NHS from an insider's perspective then it may be worth a look. "In Stitches" is written as a collection of fairly short (and mostly independent) anecdotes. This makes it quite easy to work through at your own pace, although the lack of a progressive thread running through it might put some readers off.

On the whole, the actual incidents described (i.e. patients and their health problems, or lack there
Hannah Bristow
Aug 28, 2012 Hannah Bristow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not entirely what I expected having bought it on Kindle when it was very cheap/free. Instead of one story, it is a collection of very short (2-4 pages) anecdotes focusing on the life of an A&E doctor, all based on the author's experiences in the department. Although I enjoyed the more humorous anecdotes a little more than the serious ones, it is important to say that the author's message was clear and well explained - there have been many changed made to A&E departments that ...more
Sam Still Reading
Oct 23, 2012 Sam Still Reading rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of real life A&E stories
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: I enjoy reading books about A&E
I really enjoy the sort of books that take a real-life, blood-guts-warts-n-all look at the health system (as well as anything in the Babylon series). I found this book when looking at the ‘other people who viewed these items’ section on a website. (In case you’re interested, I was looking at Max Pemberton’s fantastic books on life as a junior doctor).

So as you’ve already deduced, this book is a reality check on hospitals, medicine and the National Health Service in the UK. The author, Dr Nick E
Julie Haigh
Dec 30, 2013 Julie Haigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of medical true life stories/ humorous and gritty
Recommended to Julie by: Recommended in Benjamin Daniels' book 'Confessions of a GP'
A good insight into working in accident and emergency.

I came across this book after reading Benjamin Daniels' 'Confessions of a GP'. He mentioned this book as another possible that his readers might be interested in. I think he said he is a friend of Nick Edwards? Anyway, after enjoying one compilation of real-life medical stories I started this one eagerly. It wasn't always as expected. There was one bit where it started to get a bit political-government targets etc. and I will admit I left thi
Keris
May 08, 2008 Keris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed by Sue Haasler

I picked In Stitches up by chance - I love reading about other people's lives, and as I'm a huge fan of TV medical dramas I couldn't resist. However, any hope of buckets of blood and lashings of torrid linen-cupboard action are dispelled in the introduction: "It is a bit like what you see in TV programmes such as ER," the author says, "but with less sex and more paper work."

The book started out as a blog to vent his frustrations and Dr Edwards (not his real name) hopes the
Jim
Nov 13, 2010 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
This was my first ever Kindle electronic book. Will I look back one day and say, "It started then. The demise of the printed word"? Anyway, this was quite good to dip in and out of on the Kindle, but lacked a certain punch given the subject matter. Sometimes it felt like the doctor was too interested in moaning on about the NHS to think about what was going on around him. And where do they get the time to write all this stuff anyway, when they're so overworked and stressed? Yet again the book ma ...more
Vanessa
Nov 02, 2014 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, engrossed and read it in two days (I never make a weekend free just to read any more)! Honest, funny, and sad in places too - I will be dropping chocolates into my A&E department. Only one thing is that Dr Nick is of course and quite rightly passionate about policy, and of course the book is a good few years old now. So it slightly distracts as you try to remember this stuff - but if you've got a better memory than me (most have) it won't bother you!
Victoria
Another on of those "memoirs" of someone in a specific job where, using short vignettes, they want to try and show the public what their job is really like. This one, written by an A&E doctor, was interesting, insightful and funny. Even when ranting (something he calls his hobby), Dr. Edwards doesn't come across as an angry shouty man, but someone who cares about his patients and the way management and the NHS make his job harder.

But please, someone, get this man a proofreader, stat! Mistake
Allison White
Aug 29, 2014 Allison White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A humorous account from a grounded doctor. There were examples I could relate to of terminal illness and found myself saying "so true".

The author is v witty which was concentrated at the start, but did unfortunately pitter out. More humour towards the middle/end part of the book too would have been exceedingly welcomed as I enjoyed such anecdotes.
Kim D
A British ER doctor's take on emergency care and NHS operations. For those who regard the British standard as "gold" for how healthcare should operate, read this perspective on its bureaucracy, and know the scrubs aren't necessarily greener on the other side of the Atlantic.
Mary Corwin
Jan 03, 2016 Mary Corwin rated it it was amazing
Funny and Entertaining

I laughed a lot,learned a few new words and was just overall entertained by this book. Info on the NHS was interesting, too, especially when compared with the U.S. system.
Deborah
Jan 20, 2016 Deborah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy reading about the politics behind the goings on of hospitals then you might like this book. The author does little more than complain. Not my idea of a good read.
Ursula
Oct 17, 2015 Ursula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
K.B. Walker
Jan 31, 2014 K.B. Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun and informative read about the trials and tribulations of working in A&E.. I found it particularly interesting because my son is an A&E doctor.
Rosemarie Short
You get what it says on the tin. After a stretch of these books of 'memoirs from public service jobs' (as I am calling them) I found this to be the best. Taking a job I had no experience with or affinity with (apart from being treated - I've never been or wanted to be a doctor!) and making me more and more interested. Again, as with others like this, I could have been drawn further in by more anecdotes and less fact and figures. But what's the point of writing something like this without a messa ...more
Steph Burgess
If you like politics, humour, gory and unbelievable stories about a&e, this is a book for you. I found i laughed through the majority of it, getting some rather strange looks on the bus and train! It gives a great insight into what its like to be an a&e doctor and now that i have more understanding i will try to be more patient. It has sad bits, funny bits, impossible to make-up bits, a mix. Politicians need to read it, it might help them clean up our NHS! Well worth a read!
Lyn
Feb 02, 2014 Lyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real-life
Very interesting material written by a clearly nice bloke and decent doctor who regrettably is not a gifted writer. I enjoyed this but only moderately.
Maddie
Jul 22, 2016 Maddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly enjoyable read for something that is not a novel.
Carole
Jul 05, 2011 Carole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not sure weather to rate it 3 or 4 but will err towards 4 stars.
Interesting enough book, but a lot of rants and insights as to how so much is so wrong within the system and preventing it from working efficiently .
I felt cross when reading at at the stupid way the system was ran by managers who hadn't a clue about nursing , nor care about patient welfare .
It was just about targets .

There targets and managers have/ are destroying our NHS
Anita
Aug 06, 2010 Anita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a good whinge (being a grumpy-old-woman), and I enjoy reading other people's whinges. "In Stitches" is an interesting and often amusing book of anecdotes by an A&E doctor annoyed about lots of things, particularly the state of the NHS. I wish the prime Minister would sit down with Nick Edwards for a good long chat about how to get the health system on track (or at the very least, read this book) .... for everyone's sake.
  • Confessions of a GP
  • The Inner History of Devices
  • Between Expectations: Lessons from a Pediatric Residency
  • White Coat: Becoming A Doctor At Harvard Medical School
  • My Own Medicine: A Doctor's Life as a Patient
  • Divorced, Beheaded, Died: The History of Britain's Kings and Queens in Bite-sized Chunks
  • Stories from a Theme Park Insider
  • How Not to Die: Surprising Lessons on Living Longer, Safer, and Healthier from America's Favorite Medical Examiner
  • Suckers: How Alternative Medicine Makes Fools of Us All