Start by marking “In Stitches” as Want to Read:
In Stitches
Preview

In Stitches

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  615 ratings  ·  59 reviews

The true story of an A&E doctor that became a huge word-of-mouth hit - now revised and updated.

FROM THE PUBLISHER THAT BROUGHT YOU CONFESSIONS OF A GP.

Forget what you have seen on Casualty or Holby City, this is what it is really like to be working in A&E.

Dr Nick Edwards writes with shocking honesty about life as an A&E doctor. He lifts the lid on government ta

Published (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about In Stitches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Stitches

Emy
In Stitches was a collection of short anecdotes from the author's time as an Accident and Emergency (A&E) doctor in the UK.

I have mixed feelings about this book. At some points, it was funny, life-affirming and interesting; at others, it made me question why the hell I want to work for the National Health Service (NHS).

The fact is, Dr Nick Edwards complains way too much about the state of the NHS. Normally, I wouldn't mind that much - most of his complaints were valid, interesting and eye-op
Ryan
As a pre-medical student, an aspiring doctor about to study medicine, I was hoping this would give me some idea what it would be like to be a doctor. I can't say it has - Or at least in the way I imagined of knowing what it's like in emergency medicine day-to-day. But it has opened me and perhaps prepared me for the the various problems doctors face, particularly the target culture. It would be interesting to read what he thinks of the NHS reforms currently being implemented by the Coalition gov ...more
Brian
A slightly interesting read into the real world of an A&E Doctor. However you can only take so much of Nick Edwards moaning and ranting without thinking that if he is that frustrated with the poor management & bureaucracy of the NHS then what is he trying to do personally to change it? For example there are no stories of him arguing with management only Nick Edwards raging on what the Government should be doing & how pathetic for example that money is wasted on new signs for the X-ra ...more
Patricia
I generally like these kinds of books - I find the concept of an A&E doctor's life very interesting. But this guy, who wrote the book as a way to whinge and relieve his day-to-day stress without completely annoying his wife and colleagues, just ended up annoying me. I agree with him - the NHS is a mess today compared to what it was when it started 60 years ago, and it is and was a wonderful service in concept - but there is so much more to writing than complaining. It could have a been a fab ...more
Dominic
I am an NHS doctor and recognise a great deal of the anecdotes in this books; it certainly is a reasonable representation of the frustrations, highs and lows of working in the NHS. However, while at times this book is amusing, my overall feeling upon reading it was a sense of annoyance. Two factors make this an irritating read: the disjointed nature of the prose and the constant whinging contained within.

The disjointed prose is perhaps a necessity; it is a series of short vignettes and so will b
Mikki
I had hoped that this book would provide amusing, funny and good stories about life as an ER doctor. Although the author did address that there were issues with the NHS system, it was also mentioned that the books was meant to be light-hearted. Almost all of the stories were "okay" in content but the main point of the stories was almost always how and why the hospital system was faulty. I was disappointed.
Jenni
In Stitches: The highs and lows of life as an A&E doctor by Nick Edwards is an autobiographical account of a doctor's life in a busy A&E department. The hospital is representative of any number of A&E's up and down the country and Dr Edwards uses a journal style to deliver a series of humorous snapshots of what life is like. It is full of tongue-in-cheek humour and sarcasm, especially directed at the ever increasing bureaucracy, as well as touching moments such as allowing a elderly ...more
Dani
This was a very interesting read. It follows Dr. Nick Edwards as he works in A&E, and includes a lot of great stories. Some of them were funny enough to have me laughing out loud, and others gave a great insight into the NHS and the lives of medical staff and other people who work within the hospital.

The layout was good because it was episodic, in chapters that lasted one or two pages, and therefore it was easy to pick up and put down again, and the fast pace kept it constantly interesting.
Tome
Peter
I wouldn't say this is a great book by any means, but if you're interested in seeing part of the NHS from an insider's perspective then it may be worth a look. "In Stitches" is written as a collection of fairly short (and mostly independent) anecdotes. This makes it quite easy to work through at your own pace, although the lack of a progressive thread running through it might put some readers off.

On the whole, the actual incidents described (i.e. patients and their health problems, or lack there
Hannah Bristow
This book is not entirely what I expected having bought it on Kindle when it was very cheap/free. Instead of one story, it is a collection of very short (2-4 pages) anecdotes focusing on the life of an A&E doctor, all based on the author's experiences in the department. Although I enjoyed the more humorous anecdotes a little more than the serious ones, it is important to say that the author's message was clear and well explained - there have been many changed made to A&E departments that ...more
Sam Still Reading
Oct 23, 2012 Sam Still Reading rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of real life A&E stories
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: I enjoy reading books about A&E
I really enjoy the sort of books that take a real-life, blood-guts-warts-n-all look at the health system (as well as anything in the Babylon series). I found this book when looking at the ‘other people who viewed these items’ section on a website. (In case you’re interested, I was looking at Max Pemberton’s fantastic books on life as a junior doctor).

So as you’ve already deduced, this book is a reality check on hospitals, medicine and the National Health Service in the UK. The author, Dr Nick E
Julie Haigh
Dec 30, 2013 Julie Haigh rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of medical true life stories/ humorous and gritty
Recommended to Julie by: Recommended in Benjamin Daniels' book 'Confessions of a GP'
A good insight into working in accident and emergency.

I came across this book after reading Benjamin Daniels' 'Confessions of a GP'. He mentioned this book as another possible that his readers might be interested in. I think he said he is a friend of Nick Edwards? Anyway, after enjoying one compilation of real-life medical stories I started this one eagerly. It wasn't always as expected. There was one bit where it started to get a bit political-government targets etc. and I will admit I left thi
Keris
Reviewed by Sue Haasler

I picked In Stitches up by chance - I love reading about other people's lives, and as I'm a huge fan of TV medical dramas I couldn't resist. However, any hope of buckets of blood and lashings of torrid linen-cupboard action are dispelled in the introduction: "It is a bit like what you see in TV programmes such as ER," the author says, "but with less sex and more paper work."

The book started out as a blog to vent his frustrations and Dr Edwards (not his real name) hopes the
Jim
This was my first ever Kindle electronic book. Will I look back one day and say, "It started then. The demise of the printed word"? Anyway, this was quite good to dip in and out of on the Kindle, but lacked a certain punch given the subject matter. Sometimes it felt like the doctor was too interested in moaning on about the NHS to think about what was going on around him. And where do they get the time to write all this stuff anyway, when they're so overworked and stressed? Yet again the book ma ...more
Vanessa
Great book, engrossed and read it in two days (I never make a weekend free just to read any more)! Honest, funny, and sad in places too - I will be dropping chocolates into my A&E department. Only one thing is that Dr Nick is of course and quite rightly passionate about policy, and of course the book is a good few years old now. So it slightly distracts as you try to remember this stuff - but if you've got a better memory than me (most have) it won't bother you!
Victoria
Another on of those "memoirs" of someone in a specific job where, using short vignettes, they want to try and show the public what their job is really like. This one, written by an A&E doctor, was interesting, insightful and funny. Even when ranting (something he calls his hobby), Dr. Edwards doesn't come across as an angry shouty man, but someone who cares about his patients and the way management and the NHS make his job harder.

But please, someone, get this man a proofreader, stat! Mistake
Allison White
A humorous account from a grounded doctor. There were examples I could relate to of terminal illness and found myself saying "so true".

The author is v witty which was concentrated at the start, but did unfortunately pitter out. More humour towards the middle/end part of the book too would have been exceedingly welcomed as I enjoyed such anecdotes.
Kim D
A British ER doctor's take on emergency care and NHS operations. For those who regard the British standard as "gold" for how healthcare should operate, read this perspective on its bureaucracy, and know the scrubs aren't necessarily greener on the other side of the Atlantic.
K.B. Walker
This was a fun and informative read about the trials and tribulations of working in A&E.. I found it particularly interesting because my son is an A&E doctor.
Rosemarie Short
You get what it says on the tin. After a stretch of these books of 'memoirs from public service jobs' (as I am calling them) I found this to be the best. Taking a job I had no experience with or affinity with (apart from being treated - I've never been or wanted to be a doctor!) and making me more and more interested. Again, as with others like this, I could have been drawn further in by more anecdotes and less fact and figures. But what's the point of writing something like this without a messa ...more
Steph Burgess
If you like politics, humour, gory and unbelievable stories about a&e, this is a book for you. I found i laughed through the majority of it, getting some rather strange looks on the bus and train! It gives a great insight into what its like to be an a&e doctor and now that i have more understanding i will try to be more patient. It has sad bits, funny bits, impossible to make-up bits, a mix. Politicians need to read it, it might help them clean up our NHS! Well worth a read!
Lyn
Very interesting material written by a clearly nice bloke and decent doctor who regrettably is not a gifted writer. I enjoyed this but only moderately.
Carole
not sure weather to rate it 3 or 4 but will err towards 4 stars.
Interesting enough book, but a lot of rants and insights as to how so much is so wrong within the system and preventing it from working efficiently .
I felt cross when reading at at the stupid way the system was ran by managers who hadn't a clue about nursing , nor care about patient welfare .
It was just about targets .

There targets and managers have/ are destroying our NHS
Anita
I love a good whinge (being a grumpy-old-woman), and I enjoy reading other people's whinges. "In Stitches" is an interesting and often amusing book of anecdotes by an A&E doctor annoyed about lots of things, particularly the state of the NHS. I wish the prime Minister would sit down with Nick Edwards for a good long chat about how to get the health system on track (or at the very least, read this book) .... for everyone's sake.
Patrick Carroll
Most Drs "think" in anecdote so tend to naturally fall into that type of structure, the challenge in any real life book is I suppose to anonymise the individuals without losing their uniqueness. I think this gives a fair description of what it is like inside part of the NHS and whilst the a & E problems aren't unique to the UK it should make people think twice before using emergency as the default first point of contact.
Hettie
Feb 15, 2011 Hettie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All who use the NHS
I enoyed this book. It was an easy read and the stories were both amusing and enlightening. Many of the comments that Nick made on the organisation (or lack of) in the NHS was interesting. Some of it was not new to me as I have worked in healthcare myself but was still worth a read.

It should be read by all as it shows what misuse of the service causes and the problems that the current trends of society are causing.
Gemma Ward
"In Stitches" is written by an A&E doctor. It is simply a series of incidents and cases from his working life, ranging from the funny to the heart-rending. Along the way, the author shares his personal opinions on patients, staff and the NHS itself. Although a little-over-the-top at times, this book is both entertaining and thought-provoking - a must-read for anyone wanting to know how the NHS really operates.
Anna
Another book that could have been very good. But like so many books based on blogs, it was simply a listing of events, and a brief overview of how the author felt (happy/ sad/ ranty etc).

Very similar to Blood Sweat and Tea, so much so in fact I wondered if they had been written by the same author.

The two stars overlook the poor copy-editing. *sigh*
Heather
I found this an interesting & fascinating insight into the thoughts of an A&E doctor! It had me chuckling in places, wanting to cry and also wanting to scream!!

My step sister is a Dr, so some of the stories & sittuations I could imagine her in, especially with the talk of escaping to Australia, as that's where she's currently working!!
  • Confessions of a GP
  • It's Your Time You're Wasting: A Teacher's Tales Of Classroom Hell
  • Further Confessions of a GP
  • Checkout Girl My Life on the Supermarket Conveyor Belt
  • Just Here Trying to Save a Few Lives: Tales of Life and Death from the ER
  • Divorced, Beheaded, Died: The History of Britain's Kings and Queens in Bite-sized Chunks
  • In Rude Health: The funniest and most explicit stories from the NHS
  • White Coat: Becoming A Doctor At Harvard Medical School
  • Medical Ethics: A Very Short Introduction
  • Wasting Police Time: The Crazy World of the War on Crime
  • Stress-Proof Your Life (52 Brilliant Ideas)
  • How Not to Die: Surprising Lessons on Living Longer, Safer, and Healthier from America's Favorite Medical Examiner
  • Life in a Victorian Household
  • 30-Second Psychology: The 50 Most Thought-provoking Psychology Theories, Each Explained in Half a Minute
The Rough Guide to San Francisco & the Bay Area Dinopopolous The Rough Guide to the USA The Rough Guide to San Francisco The Rough Guide to California (Rough Guide to...)