Start by marking “Essays on Suicide and the Immortality of the Soul with Remarks by the Editor to Which Are Added Two Letters on Suicide” as Want to Read:

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Throughout history, some books have changed the world. They have transformed the way we see ourselves and each other. They have inspired debate, dissent, war and revolution. They have enlightened, outraged, provoked and comforted. They have enriched lives and destroyed them. Now Penguin brings you the works of the great thinkers, pioneers, radicals and visionaries whose id ...more
Paperback, new, 136 pages
Published June 24th 2010 by Gale Ecco, Print Editions (first published 1775)

Be the first to ask a question about Essays on Suicide and the Immortality of the Soul with Remarks by the Editor to Which Are Added Two Letters on Suicide

“I believe that no man ever threw away life, while it was worth keeping”
He's such a brilliant debater, and his arguments against suicide being immoral are awesome--until the very end when in a frenzy of Enlightenment rationalism he goes so far as to claim that no one who has ever committed suicide was mistaken in doing so. That...not so much. Mental illness, Hume. It existed even in the Age of Reason.
Blai Felip
Un libro que tiene el encanto de la brevedad y de la aparente sencillez con que Hume argumenta las cosas. El opúsculo agrupa un conjunto de artículos que destacan por la claridad de pensamiento y por la sencillez y precisión con que utiliza el lenguaje. Ya se advierte en la introducción, y se puede apreciar en la lectura, que Hume era una persona especialmente dotada para la escritura.
Sin duda alguna, el escrito que trata sobre el suicidio es el más importante de todos y por ello no debe sorpren
Cliff Watt
Hume never lived to see the full
Impact this work had on society. His paper caused an outrage at the time and Humes publishers had to print retracted versions, versions with preferences which totally distanced themselves from the author and so on. And the more moral outrage about the heresy that hume had committed, the more the paper was in demand.
What Hume did, though neither his intention or desire, was to force society to separate suicide from theology enough to allow proper public discussion
Allison Boyer
This tiny book had a few good sections of Hume's thoughts on life in general. I like Penguin's Great Ideas mini books, they are all a nice tiny peek into a writers general ideas. Although Hume specifically had a pretty boring and commonplace reason to continue a life: hope for a better future.

عبارة عن خليط من براهين منطقية مبنية على افتراضات شخصية جدا، وبراهين مبنية على عقائد دينية مثل العناية الإلهية، وأخرى على مقارنات بين الإنسان والحيوان!

اختلط علي في غير مرة تعليقات المحرّر مع أفكار هيوم.. ربماأعود لقراءته مرّة أخرى.

John Yelverton
There is no one who loves to spout off his self-proclaimed intelligence more than David Hume. This book was an intellectual travesty as he gnarls the Bible, logic and even common sense to spout his support for suicide.
"หากชีวิตมิไดเปนของขาพเจา ยอมเปนอาชญากรรมหากทำใหมันตกอยูในอันตราย เชนเดียวกันการกำจัดมันทิง; (เชนนัน) ไมมีมนุษยผูใดสมควรแกสมญาวาวีรบุรุษ ผูซึงความรุงโรจนและมิตรภาพของเขาลำเลียงไปสูอันตรายอันใหญหลวงทีสุด ขณะทีผูอืน สมควรแกการประณามในฐานะผูตำชาและนอกรีต ผูปลิดชีพตนเอง ดวยแรงจูงใจทีเหมือนหรือคลายคลึงกัน "- David Hume ...more
Andrew Donnachie
"I believe that no man ever threw away life while it was worth keeping."
The quotation sets the theme for one of Hume's more provocative 'pensées' concerning meaning derivatives within the milieu of human experience. For a volatile subject about which few will speak with open clarity, this little gem makes for a close friend and confidant.
May 08, 2007 hweichyi is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Given my dislike for philosophy, it is no surprise that, one year on, I am still reading this book. Crawling through the book on the train is a tricky business cos it attracts sideways glances and raised eyebrows. And in the wake of the London train bombings, it is not a good choice for rush-hour reading material.
Zhang Qingning
The man who justified suicide.
I have read a fair share of philosophical works but hit a block here. It was really tough reading, and I guess it went against my positive grain...but I will definitely challenge again. I don't think the cover helped put a good view on Hume from the start.
I expected something more but the essay is fine. The quote 'I believe that no man ever threw away life while it was worth keeping' looks very cynical outside of the context, but in the text it's used in a completely different way than it may seem.
Aug 27, 2007 Abbey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves philosophy
So far I've read the essays that I'm able to understand, although I'm not educated in philosophy so I found some sections difficult to understand. However, from what I could understand from it, I enjoyed. Definitely worth picking up.
محمد الهاشمي
Struggled with understanding the point sometimes. But this has to be the most influential book about suicide ever was.
Read Hume's essays. Didn't see any need to read much of the other stuff.
Sophie marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Mohamed marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Maja marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Y marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Netopyr marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
مصطفي سليمان
مصطفي سليمان marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Angharad marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
rhein marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Qofar marked it as to-read
Pijus Valiukenas
Pijus Valiukenas marked it as to-read
Thanainan Rajkitwanich
Thanainan Rajkitwanich marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
  • Of Empire
  • Of Man
  • An Attack on an Enemy of Freedom
  • On the Suffering of the World (Penguin Great Ideas)
  • How to Achieve True Greatness
  • The First Ten Books (Penguin Great Ideas)
  • The Inner Life
  • Where I Lived, and What I Lived For
  • On Friendship
  • Travels in the Land of Kubilai Khan (Penguin Great Ideas)
  • Miracles and Idolatry
  • Eichmann and the Holocaust
  • Conspicuous Consumption
  • The Christians and the Fall of Rome (Great Ideas)
  • On Art and Life
  • The Fastidious Assassins
  • Useful Work versus Useless Toil
  • An Appeal to the Toiling, Oppressed & Exhausted Peoples of Europe
David Hume (/ˈhjuːm/; 7 May 1711 NS (26 April 1711 OS) – 25 August 1776) was a Scottish historian, philosopher, economist, diplomat and essayist known today especially for his radical philosophical empiricism and scepticism.

In light of Hume's central role in the Scottish Enlightenment, and in the history of Western philosophy, Bryan Magee judged him as a philosopher "widely regarded as the greates
More about David Hume...
An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding A Treatise of Human Nature An Enquiry Concerning the Principles of Morals Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion/The Natural History of Religion (Oxford World's Classics)

“No man ever threw away life while it was worth keeping.” 188 likes
“The life of man is of no greater importance to the universe than that of an oyster.” 57 likes