Start by marking “The Vision” as Want to Read:
The Vision

The Vision

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  10,179 Ratings  ·  220 Reviews

Published 1991 by Headline (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Vision, please sign up.

Mike Marsbergen Guessed it as soon as Alan pissed me off with his anti-Max stuff. So chapter 2, I think. Thought it would've been better if we knew right off the bat…moreGuessed it as soon as Alan pissed me off with his anti-Max stuff. So chapter 2, I think. Thought it would've been better if we knew right off the bat that Alan was the bad guy, instead of the lame, obvious attempt at keeping the reader guessing.(less)

Edward Lorn
Apr 12, 2016 Edward Lorn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of jazz and sleep
Shelves: paperbacks
Koontz-Alert Checklist (Every Dean Koontz book has at least one of the following ten things.)

1. Blond lead/love interest - Nope
2. Dog(s) - Nope (Unless you count the figurines)
3. Government conspiracy - Nope
4. Aliens - Nope
5. Serial Killer - Yup
6. Bougainvillea plant - Yup
7. Sodium-vapor streetlight - Yup
8. Precocious child - Nope
9. Town gone crazy - Nope
10. Psychic(s) - Yup

So four out of ten. Not bad, not bad. And that's my overall judgment of this book. "Not bad." Of course this one gets two p
Delee
Apr 12, 2016 Delee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense

2.5

Review to come.....soooooomedaaaay. :D
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 27, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, thriller, stalker
Every move you make, every breath you take, he'll be watching you...

Jesus christ this book was creepy! I have yet to read a book that has scared me, but The Vision was certainly eerie enough and disturbing enough to make me wonder about it days after finishing it. Koontz' work is well-written, full of vibrant characters and a gripping plot. Excellent book, I highly recommend it.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
"Gloves of Blood" - opening line of The Vision

A blue giraffe standing in the center of a giant custard pie - The Vision, Chapter 5

Bloody little footprints of a cat all across the light tan carpet. - The Vision, Chapter 17

"I wrote The Vision while living in Las Vegas, when I was young and stupid." - Dean Koontz, Afterword

There are a few good parts throughout the book, but the best payoff is in the ending. The Vision is worth reading as one of Dean's early novels, but not among his best - not by
Julie Powell
Jan 27, 2014 Julie Powell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always like stories by Dean Koontz and this was no exception. It was cleverly psychological and kept me guessing 'whodunit' although I did suspect the killer and I was right.

Well written, great characters, descriptions, suspense and plot.

Recommended read.
Uriah
Apr 16, 2011 Uriah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mary is a talented clairvoyant who's found her calling in helping police across the country solve cases despite having no leads. Aided and guided by her devoted husband and doting brother, she's led a seemingly simple life. Until her visions change, and a dark, preternatural force seems to enter her life. Where are these visions coming from? Will she be able to solve this new case and find her answers before it's too late for her and those she loves?

Far from one of Koontz's best works, this is s
Tiffany Bates
I think this could have been a 4 if I hadn't read such a fast paced novel right before this. Maybe. Going to this book after a fast pace book made it seem very slow at times and I was thinking 'get on with it'. I predicted who the killer was going to be really early on as well, but hoped all the way through that I was going to be wrong and that would make it great for fooling me. But alas it didn't unfortunately. The premise was interesting, and it would still make a good read for anyone looking ...more
David Brian
three-and-a-half stars.
This was an okay read about Mary Bergen, a psychic who suffered a catastrophic assault during her childhood. Now, with help from her brother Alan, and husband Max, Mary uses her gifts to help the police solve serious crimes. The activities of a serial killer threaten to drag up the events of Mary's childhood.
Like I said, a decent read, but the twist ending was sooooo(!) predictable.
Mackenzie Petermeier
A book that I would recommend is The Vision by Dean Koontz. This book is a thriller that keeps your mind going. The Vision is suspenseful and also quite slow in spots and quite predictable, but for the reader who wants a thriller without too much gore this could be a perfect choice. Mary Bergen is the main character, which has a gifted clairvoyant. Her psychic ability and haunting visions to aide the police in solving both past and future crimes, but who must also deal with the stress of not hav ...more
Suzana Vuksanovic
Jun 17, 2010 Suzana Vuksanovic rated it liked it
Somewhat better than the previous book by Koontz that I had finished reading immediately before commencing this one (Voice Of The Night).
The story is about a psychic woman who has "visions" of soon-to-be committed murders and helps the police to catch the perpetrators. She can never prevent the murders in her visions, she can only hope to prevent future homicides by the same person.
She is at the apex of an uncomfortable triangle with her adored and charming brother on one side and her husband of
Martin Maher
Sep 21, 2009 Martin Maher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dean-koontz, thriller
`The Vision`is a story about a woman by the name of Mary Bergen who has clairvoyant abilities & uses those abilities to help police officers & detectives in their investigations. When we meet Mary at the start of this story, she`s tracking down a killer, & although she`s done this on many occasions in the past, this time something is different, something that triggers memories of her past, which she has buried since her childhood.

I bought this novel in a local bookshop because I had
Kaustubh
Jul 04, 2014 Kaustubh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was my 4th book by Dean Koontz. Earlier beings 'The Bad Place', 'Winter Moon' and 'Velocity'. A few readers mentioned here that it was a bit slow in spots, but i tend to disagree. In fact, i felt the plot was perfectly paced. I read 281 pages edition, of which 8-10 pages were left blank.
Anyways, the book did hold my interest throughut. I hadn't had many expectations from the book to begin with for his previous book that i read (winter moon ) was a bit letdown. That was slow, not this.
One of
Christine (KizzieReads)
The story was fast paced. I guessed who the killer was pretty early on, but I never guessed the extent of the story. It was pretty good, but I think the characters could have been a little better developed. Not as scary as expected either, but overall, a good book.
Denis
Oct 22, 2015 Denis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: do-not-own
In short, this book is not very good. Bad actually. Yet, unfortunate, because Koontz was, even back in 1977, a capable writer.
Melissa Hatcher
Sep 26, 2016 Melissa Hatcher rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Worst Koontz book I've yet read.

I was having a bad day.
It is the worst Koontz book I've yet read, but it wasn't a waste of time.
Pablos
Jul 23, 2016 Pablos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
W posłowiu do Wizji Koontz z rozbrajającą szczerością stwierdza, że gdyby stale pisał takie powieści, nigdy nie trafiłby na listy bestsellerów. Ale jednocześnie decyduje się książkę wznowić, bo mimo wszystko uważa ją za rzecz sympatyczną, czytaj: rozrywkę odrobinę mroczną. I jest to doskonałe podsumowanie tej pozycji, faktycznie stworzonej raczej do zabijania czasu w poczekalni u dentysty, albo lektury podczas podróży pociągiem, która z nóg nie zwali, ale wydaje mi się, że ogromna większość czyt ...more
Eve Nolon
Overall the story is pretty good. I enjoyed the suspense and most of the characters were interesting, especially the newspaper dude in King's Point (Koontz would later use the same character with a different name in THE TAKING, and that's about the only positive thing I can say about that book). However, THE VISION is also a product of its time and often painful because of it. Mary is supposedly the main character but she is so ridiculously overwrought and actively annoying that her husband Max ...more
Kara
Aug 22, 2016 Kara rated it really liked it
Another superb book by Dean Koontz.

Paranormal events plague this story. With clairvoyants, ouija boards, poltergeists and telekinesis alongside a mysterious murder; this tale is packed with suspense and drama. It's fast pace holds with Koontz stereotypical style although missing some rather common Koontz themes (sorry, no dogs in this story), resulting in a thrilling yet somewhat different story telling by one of America's modern master horror writers.

The story itself centres on a battle between
Nicole
Jan 15, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it
The Vision is yet another of Koontz's novels that you can fall in love with. Mary Bergen is a clairvoyant, she can see visions of things that have already taken place and she uses that ability to solve crimes with the police. She can seek out the last memories of a victim and can see through the eyes of a killer. Every case is different but this one is more personally and more terrifying than anything Mary has ever encountered before.

Plagued by visions that come to her unwillingly, Mary is deter
Michelle
Jan 01, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all of Dean Koontz's books, they never fail to entertain and thrill and shock me. But The Vision, even though the plot is good and the imagery is incomparable, seriously disturbed me.

I don't think I would be able to read it again. And it's books like this that really make me wonder how Dean Koontz thinks of these things (the sick, twisted plots that make the novels so hard to put down).
Shawnee Bowlin
Jan 05, 2016 Shawnee Bowlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The twist at the end to reveal the real criminal was almost unexpected. I caught a few hints earlier in the story that made me wonder about the character chosen for the criminal, but the joy of reading another Dean Koontz book overrode any desire to flip to the end to reveal the true killer.
I was a little confused about Mary at times. Not sure I can believe that someone could ever totally block something so entirely significant from their memory and become paranormally gifted to move things upon
Tara Chevrestt
Dec 13, 2009 Tara Chevrestt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was one of Koontz's more disturbing. The woman is a psychic who has some issues with her mentally sick brother. Some of the sexual scenes were a bit distasteful, causing the four star rating despite the adrenaline pumping excitement and horror. A quick read too.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Javed Hayat
Jul 12, 2011 Javed Hayat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Only If you Enjoy Literary Insults Like Twilight etc...
Without wanting to sound too harsh, Dean Koontz, along with John Saul and couple of others, is one of the worst possible writers I have ever read. Koontz is a classic case of 'right ideas in (extremely) wrong hands'!!!
Bandit
Nov 12, 2010 Bandit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of his first and nastiest works. If you're only familiar with his later work from the recent decade or so, this book will be a shocker.
Jenny
Dec 09, 2007 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was probably too young to read this when i did considering what the out come was. I think i was 12 or 13...first book i read from koontz
Shirley
Aug 29, 2015 Shirley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Page 191)
"She poured herself a brandy. "If I'm going to have the all-seeing eye of a god, then dammit, I should have the power of a god, too. I should be able to reach out with that power right this minute and find the man we're after. I should be able to squeeze his heart in a vise of power until it bursts. But I'm not a god. I'm not even a complete mechanism. I'm like half a radio set. I can receive, but I can't transmit. I can be affected, but I can't cause an effect." She drank the brandy a
Amy Sherman
This audiobook was good for relatively mindless listening while multitasking. Although it is a suspense thriller, I found it to be pretty predictable, which is not what I enjoy in a book. It did try to give some other alternatives along the way than what the real answer was, but it wasn't enough to take the reader completely off the track of who the mystery person was. There was love and romance, but it wasn't laid on quite as thickly as it is in some other Dean Koontz novels. I prefer when the ...more
Gloria Piper
Mary's clairvoyance seems to stem from a childhood trauma she can't completely recall. If only her visions were pleasant, but they are gruesome and always show a murder she can't prevent. Who is the serial killer? Is it someone she knows? Is she on the killer's list?

This seems to be one of Koontz's earlier novels. The point of view gets a bit shaky, and we have some scenes that remind me of Alfred Hitchcock movies. There are interesting twists and a satisfying ending. I'm glad my favorite chara
Bettie☯
Description: Mary Bergen is a clairvoyant, able to forsee murders that will happen in the near future, but unable to prevent them from taking place. And now she is up against a power that is stronger than her own, a power that is taking her over, a power that is trying to kill her before she can identify it...

Opening: 'GLOVES OF BLOOD.'
The woman raised her hands and stared at them, stared through them.
Her voice was soft but tense. 'Blood on his hands.' Her own hands were clean and pale.
Her husba
  • Texas by the Tail
  • Dean Koontz: A Writer's Biography
  • The Presence

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...