Start by marking “The War Within: A Novel of the Civil War” as Want to Read:
The War Within: A Novel of the Civil War

The War Within: A Novel of the Civil War

Holly Springs, Mississippi, 1862
Hannah Green can't believe what happens to her family after the war breaks out. First, her sister Joanna falls in love with a Union soldier -- an enemy. Next, the same soldier tells Hannah and her family about General Grant's General Order #11, which commands all Jews to evacuate the territory for violating trade regulations. The Greens es
Published September 1st 2002 by Aladdin (first published May 1st 2001)

Jessie
Nov 07, 2012 Jessie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa
What I found interesting about this novel was that, unlike other Civil War books, the perspective is told from a 13-year-old girl that doesn't see what is wrong with slavery. That perspective alone made this a pretty good historical book for preteens.
Rebecca
Feb 28, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thirteen-year-old Hannah Green and her family are Jews living in Holly Springs, Mississippi, in 1863. The Civil War is raging, and the Green family are Southern supporters. Hannah's father has always gone along with the Southern way of life, including owning slaves, because he was so relieved to be accepted in Holly Springs, unlike back in Germany. For many years, the Greens have peacefully run their store, but now the war is changing everything. General Grant passes Order #11, which expels all ...more
Anne Osterlund
Jun 28, 2016 Anne Osterlund rated it liked it
Hannah is focused on become a mature young Southern lady. Not always easy when your town is occupied by Union soldiers, your brothers and Pa are off fighting for the Confederacy, your sister is falling in love with a Yankee, and your little brother is sneaking and reading your diary.

But Hannah knows what is right. She knows it’s her job to support the South, to do her part working at the store, and to keep the house slave, Jule, in line.

Then General Grant issues a new order. That all Jewish fami
Crystalin
Apr 25, 2008 Crystalin rated it it was ok
I read this book because I thought this subject could really be interesting. It deals with a little-known fact that General Grant issued an order for all Jews in his territory to be expelled(during the Civil War). I'm afraid the subject was just too much for this author to take on. It's a young adult book, but she oversimplifies the characters. It feels like she has some important points she wants to make, and she hangs the story around them. I was disappointed in this book, but I'd be curious ...more
Mrs. G
Jun 02, 2010 Mrs. G rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-teaching
I really loved this book. It talks about how Grant pushed the Jews out during the Civil War, which is not something that is really talked about. I can see using this book with my students during a Civil War unit.
Katie
May 06, 2014 Katie rated it it was ok
I had to read this for school… I didn't really enjoy it and found it unrealistic.
Sarah Crawford
Feb 02, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing
This is a book about the Civil War in Mississippi in late 1862 and early 1963. The main character is Hannah who is totally pro-South and pro-slavery. She and her family are Jewish, and they have a store in the town. There is apparently no trouble with the other people in town about their religion, and they all fit in quite well.

The first main problem is that the Yankees have taken command of the city, and Hannah's sister Joanna has fallen in love with one of them. Joanna also adopts an anti-sla
Rafael
May 01, 2012 Rafael rated it really liked it
This book is a valuable aide to teachers introducing literature to 13 year olds (7th or 8th graders) that takes place in the Civil War. Not only will students learn historical facts but they will come face to face with key questions regarding equality of races and religions and can see through the eyes of Hannah their own prejudices and how to overcome them. Hanna's family is Jewish and when the Civil War happens, they are forced out of their beloved Southern home. Hanna sees first hand that ...more
Helen
I read this book as I was going back and reading some younger books I had had for years but never read. This was definitely an interesting story and I did end up learning about the situation of Jews in America during the Civil War - something I hadn't known or even really ever thought about as an issue before. So, in that sense, the book was good. However, the writing style was quite flat and really only driven by the intense plot. The depth of characters or writing style or even explanations ...more
Samantha
May 19, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it
I didn't feel as if this book was amazing in any way, but it wasn't bad either, focusing on a little known aspect of the Civil War.

This novel was less about the events that were happening and more about how confusing a war would be when it spilts families apart, and how confusing owning slaves is when the Jews were once slaves themselves.

I really loved getting into the main character's head and seeing her own confusion and mixed feelings about what was going on around her and what was happening
Kelly
May 03, 2016 Kelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: written-by-women
A mildly interesting book about a little-known, very interesting event. This was really bogged down by the irritating main character of Hannah, abrupt ending, unfulfilled plots, and lightning-fast character development. I understand it's aimed at a much younger reader than I am, but this is one of the weaker young YA books I've read.

Last line:

(view spoiler)
Kali
Aug 15, 2008 Kali rated it liked it
While this book was EXTREMELY predictable and not quite as realistic as I would have enjoyed, it is a good tool to use in the classroom. Less experienced readers would appreciate the perspective from the South (although it doesn't go deep or comprehensive in a Southern view of the Civil War) and the straightforward perspective from several participants in our history.
Lauren
Feb 17, 2009 Lauren rated it it was ok
The truth about this book is that it was one of those books I got from a book swap that i probably would not have bought if i was at a store. Well, after ignoring it for years, i finally read it and it wasn't very good. Let's just say a little boring...
Kasey
Sep 27, 2012 Kasey rated it liked it
I thought that is was an interesting story although it took me a while to really get into it. For a juvenile fiction I was surprised at how many thought provoking questions it brought up and how deep it actually was.
Sep 18, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
I thought this was a well written book designed to engage young readers in a moral debate over slavery. It was worth the read.
Cecy
Jul 27, 2016 Cecy rated it liked it
I found this book in my Middle School it was on the floor. Well, after ignoring it for years, I finally read it and the book wasn’t that bad. This is definitely a good book for a younger reader.
Corene Richards
Dec 02, 2010 Corene Richards rated it really liked it
This was a really good book, not real long. It was about a family during Civil War times. The sisters did not get along real well but learned to depend and take care of each other.
Jax Shenkel
Sep 20, 2013 Jax Shenkel rated it liked it
It was a good novel bur kind of bored me. The overall rating is good for someone who enjoys historical stories though.
Marie Swanson
Marie Swanson rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Lissywolf
Lissywolf rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2012
Jonathon Gallaher
Jonathon Gallaher rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Olivia
Olivia rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2009
Rose Clubok
Rose Clubok rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Jodymac
Jodymac rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2010
Renaissance
Renaissance rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2010
Carlea
Carlea rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2010
Anna Banana
Anna Banana rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2009
Diana S
Diana S rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Catharine
Catharine rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Evvy's Civil War
  • Numbering All the Bones
  • Red Moon at Sharpsburg
  • Selling Hope
  • Candlelight for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #3)
  • How I Found the Strong
  • Bull Run
  • War Comes to Willy Freeman (Arabus Family Saga, #1)
  • Hear the Wind Blow
  • Ghost Soldier
  • Charley Skedaddle
  • Stealing South: A Story of the Underground Railroad
  • The Journal of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier: Virginia, 1863 (My Name is America #)
  • Mr. Lincoln's High-tech War
  • My Brother's Keeper (My America: Virginia's Civil War Diary, #1)
  • Fields of Fury