30 Days to a Well-Mannered Dog: The Loved Dog Method

30 Days to a Well-Mannered Dog: The Loved Dog Method

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Widely regarded as the anti-Cesar Millan by dog owners and experts, Tamar Geller's nonaggressive approach to dog training is based on love, play, and mutual respect between dog and owner—much like how a wolf plays with its young. Using a combination of child psychology and animal behavior science, Geller revolutionized the way Americans train their dogs and has won the app...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published October 12th 2010 by Tantor Media

An inconsistent blend of common sense, traditional instructions and milder forms of correction. The corrections she does choose to present are ones I do not object to, though other reviews have, however, one has to question the means by which the author makes the decision which to approve and which to pooh-pooh. It really is kind of a puzzle what she opts to promote and (in most cases) what she opts to speak out against. She's got it all wrong when it comes to defining terms like "alpha", "domin...more
Liz
This book is wonderful.

I've read a lot of dog training books, including a few by Cesar Millan and the Monks of New Skete, and this would be the one I'd recommend. I think it's really important that Tamar's methods are 99% positive reinforcement. Those are the kinds I've had the most success with, both in terms of dog behavior and bonding with my dog. Pat Miller's books are also great, but the organization of this one is just fantastic. It's also well-written and an easy read.

In this book Tamar...more
Nancy
There was a lot of good information on positive ways to interact with and train your dog in this book. I like that. However, the frequent name-dropping of Hollywood clients, such as Oprah, got more than a little tiresome. Also, the narrator’s cloyingly sweet tone in the audiobook became annoying quickly.

I believe in positive training methods, I really do. However, this trainer implied that changing aggressive and troublesome canine behavior was simply a matter of getting your dog to love you th...more
Susan Sullivan
This book would be better titled "30 WEEKS to a Well-Mannered Dog," but that probably wouldn't sell as many books since people these days want the magic bullet to instant results.

However, I've been incorporating some of the philosophy with my impossible dog, Goober, and have gotten fantastic results. I've even taught him how to speak on command, something I've never even attempted before. He's coming when I call him much better from out in the yard (Goober is a devout backyard hunter) and he's q...more
Ashley Treadway
I plan to use this book, along with Cesar Millan's "How to Raise the Perfect Dog" to train my new puppy. Geller says that you don't need to force your dog into submission, you want to win him over by fulfilling all of his needs and making him want to do what you want because he loves you so very much...like children want to make the right decisions to appease their parents.

She recommends "making a party" for your dog when he does something well at first--giving him a "jackpot" of treats and giv...more
Cyndie
Was really impressed with this book and it's recommendations until I got to about Day 27. Ms. Geller would hate for someone who wasn't an expert in her field to start giving training advice. Yet, she gives potentially dangerous veterinary medical advice. It is hard enough teaching my clients that raw diets are potentially dangerous to them and their pet and have no proven benefits. It is especially hard convincing them that recipes that have not actually been reviewed by veterinary nutritionists...more
Karen Gemind
I volunteer with a national cairn terrier rescue group and frequently recommend this book to adopting families. Especially since rescued animals who are starting a new life must know that being loved is possible. That love means loving discipline, long walks, treats, belly rub, car rides, just being with their person. Tamar Geller talks about all of that in such an endearing way - so very memorable. Read it, then love your pet!
AmblingBooks
From the New York Times bestselling author of The Loved Dog comes a groundbreaking thirty-day plan for training dogs--young or old--to become housebroken, happy, and well-behaved within one month.

Listen to 30 Days to a Well-Mannered Dog on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
Elizabeth Ruston
I love this whole method of training dogs. It really does work. Yesterday puppy Moose turned 10 weeks old. I've had him 3 weeks now, and I think I can safely say he's house trained. He rings the bell to go out, which is great, since yesterday he ate something unauthorized and ended up going out a LOT. Training this way makes it fun for him and for me--it's all play. Thank you, Tamar Geller!
Jim Johnson
I did learn a few things but there was something irritating about the author. I don't think she was correct about some things and she came off a little too preachy. This might have been better in a hard cover or paperback format so I could go through each of the 30 days one day at a time. It would also work as a training reference manual than just reading it straight through.
Peri Kinder
I LOVE my dog. Ringo the Dog is a half lab/half border collie weighing in at 80 pounds, who thinks he's a lap dog.

In her book, Tamar gives some great ideas for positive training and reinforcement. I've tried many of the exercises with Ringo, and he's really had fun.

It's always fun to teach your pet something new--and they enjoy it, too.
Cult
If you want to train your dog to be a great companion, loyal, obedient, loving... you know... all the things your X wasn't, this is the perfect book. Hell, send one to your X. Might help them too.

(I've read several dog training books. This one is one of the best)
Cynthia
I loved this book and will be looking for my own copy. I found her emphasis on positive training very encouraging, and the steps very clear. We used the directions in the book to teach our adopted dog "sit" "down" and her new name. So far, so good.
Nickie
Yes, my dog's manners are slightly improved ... and yes I am growing to love my dog more ... and yes my dog LOVES me (treats are a great way to a dog's heart) ... I just wish the dog would love the kids more! :-)
Sam
I didn't always agree with the author, but for the most part this is a very positive dog training book. I would recommend it, especially to new dog owners.
This is a thoughtful and logical alternative to Cesar Milan. I like Geller's methods and have been using them with some success on our dear calamity Jane :)
Cathy
It was pretty good, although there were a few things she said I didn't agree with. I do, however, agree on positive reinforcement without negative.
Caitlinleah
This is the one i ended up buying. now 30 days into dog ownership he is certainly not well-mannered, but he is on his way.
Fullfaun
this is great book. Started using her techniques immediately. Dog was very happy to no longer bored.
Pernilla Nathan
If you have a dog, this should be added to your library of learning to understand dogs and work with them.
Jerry
My new puppy ate the lower right hand corner of this book! Let you know in 30 days if it works or not.
Lori
My dog still isn't well mannered but could be if I would have done everything this author teaches.
Voracious
I liked this enough I returned the library copy and bought my own. Some stuff's already helped.
Gina
Excellent book with excellent information! Easy step-by-step guide.
Erin
This booked solved a lot of problems! Highly recommended.
Daria Intheskyy
Daria Intheskyy marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Meghan Mccormack
Meghan Mccormack marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014