Start by marking “Devil's Mistress” as Want to Read:
Devil's Mistress

Devil's Mistress

HE IS A MAN POSSESSED—BY A WOMAN WHOSE BEAUTY DRIVES MEN TO MADNESS.

Bewitched by Brianna Ma
Published July 1st 1986 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Devil's Mistress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil's Mistress

Elis Madison

James II’s Scotland, and the witch hunt is on. Pegeen MacCardle has been taken up by a fanatical witchfinder named Matthews. Brianna, her niece, ignores the advice of friends and neighbors and comes to the town square, where Pegeen is to burn. Brianna's cry of grief grabs Matthews' attention. Stunned by the perfection of her face and form, he cries "witch" yet again.

In mindless grief and terror, Brianna weaves through the streets of her small harbor town until she stumbles into a tavern. A patro
Kelli
This one surprised me - there were points when i wanted to bang the heroines head against a wall to try to knock some sence into her head it must be said - but over all I really did like her.

This book has sooo many ups and downs and plot twist It travels across different countries over many years. Its a beautiful story of love - (diffent types of love - all just as beautiful), it travels through European Witch Trials and even The Salem Witch trials which I found very interesting.

I highlt recomme
LibraryDanielle
Mar 29, 2013 LibraryDanielle rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
oh my freaking god, was brianna annoying as all hell. ok, so shes had a terrible experience seeing her aunt burned as a witch, but really. she acts like an idiot for the. whole. book. any time she thinks something isn't going her way she throws a hissy fit, yelling, screaming, threatening and hitting sloane. (or trying to) not that he's a perfect gentleman, but he's not so glaringly stupid he made me want to throw nook 42 across the room like she did.

Oh, and apparently she's trying to suffocate
Carrie Olguin
Oct 26, 2012 Carrie Olguin rated it it was ok
A story about witch hunts and persecution in history, including the Salem witch trials from a fictional point of view.

I would have enjoyed the story if I had liked the heroine. Before using common sense, intelligence or good manners, she'd lose her temper, beat on the hero and thro a hissy fit. She was the only woman in the book who behvaed so irrationally. For example, the hero breaks into jail to rescue her and other men and women acused of witchcraft. While all of the others leave without he
MomRocks!
Jan 15, 2017 MomRocks! rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
Kate Crowe
Jan 02, 2017 Kate Crowe added it
Shelves: dnf
Pat aka Tygyr
Aug 26, 2014 Pat aka Tygyr rated it really liked it
Brianna MacCardle is a young woman living in the woods with her aunt. Her aunt is arrested and burned to death as a witch. Brianna was there and screamed. Now she is on the list. She runs and finds herself at the waterfront. She runs into a tavern and slips into a booth, not realizing that it is occupied. Sloan - Lord Treveryan and ship's Captain - mistakes her for the whore he was promised. Being polite he offers a meal. She eats heartily. When someone comes in saying there are witch hunters ab ...more
Bespectacledreader
Jun 24, 2014 Bespectacledreader rated it liked it
I like Heather Graham for her work Bride of the Wind so I am interested to read this however as I read, I found out that this is not one of her best work.

The start is quite interesting - with all the witch hunt and the way Brianna and Sloan met. I was also happy that a character such as Matthew was included. Matthew is the embodiment of hypocrisy and lunacy at its finest. It shows that the two traits are considered to be part of politics and religion ever since the world began.

WHY 3 stars and
Jenny Q
Mar 26, 2011 Jenny Q rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This one started out well, very exciting with Brianna running from witchcraft accusations in Scotland and finding safety and the delicious Sloan onboard his ship. They get hot and heavy right away, but Sloan's keeping something from Brianna. I guessed his secret early on, but it was still a good, angsty plot twist. And then another twist follows soon after and Brianna runs away to America. But then she discovers that Salem, Massachusetts wasn't the wisest place for an accused witch to ...more
Eilla
Mar 13, 2013 Eilla rated it liked it
This book took me back to the period of when witches were forced forward and burned or hung alive by the government. It began in Scotland and a girl was accused of being a witch when she screamed and witnessed her aunt being burned alive.

She met a captain of the Seahawk when she was running for her life. He took her in against her will to save her life.

Brianna was grateful but annoyed when Sloan took her back to his ship and locked her in. Sloan did everything to save her life from a death sen
Heather
Aug 06, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, kindle
Not a good description. Very much about the Salem witch trials and too much torture detail for me. Sort of a dark bodice ripper.

From Goodreads: If there was ever a devil who could lure and seduce the innocent, Lord Sloan Treveryan is that man. Captain of the Sea Hawk and bound to the king’s business, Treveryan may be a lord but he is no gentleman. Yet even he cannot ignore a lady in distress—or the temptation she provides.

Bewitched by Brianna MacCardle’s beauty, Scottish inquisitors have called
Cindy Woods
Jan 07, 2016 Cindy Woods rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good read

I liked this book very much. There is a lot of interesting history in the background. I wasn't too crazy about Brianna at times....she seemed to be ungrateful much of the time. The times were turbulent with the witch hunts and religious fervor, so I can see how she continually got herself in trouble. I think she could have been a bit more careful, though, knowing what could happen if she spoke out. She has a son to protect and a sick husband, but she just keeps losing her temper
Annette
Feb 03, 2013 Annette rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I'm very near the end of this book. I've skipped through a bit of it. Their constant disagreements, fights and never knowing if the other one loves them is enough to drive me nuts.

They've declared their love to each other over and over, yet, once again she is going to leave him and 'run away'..grow up gal. I'm going to try and finish it, but really have to skip over some of her stupid thinking about how he constantly doesn't love her and she can't be with him.

January 3 2013
I picked this book up
Debra
Nov 13, 2013 Debra rated it really liked it
This review is from: Devil's Mistress (Kindle Edition)
The beginning of the book was very exciting with the event of a witch hunt. From that point, until about half-way into the book, it reminded me of a typical Regency novel, which was not very exciting.

After that, Ms Graham pulled out all the stops, and showed what a great writer she truly can be. She came up with twists an turns that were real surprises, and from that point on, I loved the book.

My point is that if you love regency that's fine
Bobbie
Apr 03, 2012 Bobbie rated it liked it
Much like the love story thrown in the middle of Titanic, I found this love story thrown in the middle of the Salem Witch Trials to be a bit weird. I don't expect historical stories to be set apart from the history during which they take place, but I found the connections between the made up characters and the actual players in the witch trials to be weak. While I generally like Graham's writing, I felt this book woud have been better ended at the halfway mark.
Tanya Jenkins
Oct 18, 2013 Tanya Jenkins rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down and read it in two days. I really enjoyed this book. The author did amazingly well. I loved everything from the history to the old language. I fell in love with all of the characters. The back and forth between the two main characters was funny to say the least. It was a perfect blend of ups and downs. I am quite pleased with this author and I am going to google her other books. She has earned my trust.
April
Sep 12, 2007 April rated it liked it
Brianna meets Sloan while trying to escape the witch hunters out to capture her. She leads Sloan into believing she is his for the evening, even though she is innocent in the ways of love. After the two escape the hunters, love begins to rule the two character, however Brianna learns that Sloan cannot marry and her only choice is to become his mistress.
Thays M. Tejada
Dec 12, 2013 Thays M. Tejada rated it really liked it
I actually liked the book a lot what I didn't like so much at time was Brianna. She was so dumb I wanted to smack her a few times. Sloan had all her best interest at heart even though he had kept a big secret from her but still she acted without thought and got in a lot of messes because of it but she won me at the end. Finally she opened her eyes.
Joanne
Mar 09, 2014 Joanne rated it really liked it
Brianna is accused of being a witch and is running from witch hunters when she stumbles into Lord Sloan Treveryan, the Capt. of the Sea Hawk. He takes her on his ship to get away from the people hunting her. While onboard he falls in love with her and has to put his life on the one numerous times to protect her.
Payal
Jun 10, 2016 Payal rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
Good grief with the editing! Please, please don't torture your readers with so many misspellings, grammatical errors, and downright missing words.

The story could have been compelling, though the characters were flat and one-dimensional. There was a bit of heat, sure, being a romance novel. But enough boring details and tedious exchanges of dialogue that it fell rather flat.
Una
Dec 17, 2012 Una rated it it was amazing
got it as a present from my mom when about fourteen - it was perfect for this age! dreams a young girl might have mixed with a good pinch of bitter, execrative reality, with a touch of 'be honest, never give up, you don't know what luck might appear in future'...

I loved it sooooo much!! :-)
Jen
Jun 09, 2012 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Did not care for this. The slightly different setting/time period with the Salem Witch Trials was briefly interesting, then tedious. But had a sneaking suspicion this was a reissue of an early romance. And I was right.
Helidth Ravenholm
Sep 02, 2013 Helidth Ravenholm rated it it was ok
While Graham manages to skirt around the potential consent issues fairly well, the book deserves two stars for the thematic at least, even if I would otherwise have been a bit more hesitant about how many stars because of potential consent issues.
Cheryl
I really did like this book but the turmoil between Brianna and Sloan was heartbreaking. I loved the history of the witch trials and the part the characters played in it. Unfortunately I found myself dreading reading this book and wanting the end to come more quickly than it did.
Bambi Unbridled
This book was not what I expected. I loved Sloan, but I hated Brianna. She was annoying to the point that it almost ruined the book for me. This was, however, a good representation of the witch hunts and trials through Scotland, England and Salem though.
Megan
Apr 25, 2009 Megan rated it liked it
Read this a while ago. From what I remember, it was just okay, not one of Heather Graham/Shannon Drake's best.
Suzanne Marble
Jan 16, 2014 Suzanne Marble rated it it was amazing
This book was good from start to finish! It told of how love can save one person and hurt another. Although she sacrificed so much, she also gained so much by not losing her life.
Apr 02, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Great historical romance! I've bought the book twice, read it twice and lent it out twice. I'd like to read it again but hate the idea of buying it for a third time!
L.   (Carl, that kills people!)
Brianna MacCardle keeps getting accused of being a witch. Sloan Treveryan keeps saving her ass. I'm giving this book 2.5 stars for the bromance between Sloan and Robert. I felt the luv.
Julie
May 14, 2012 Julie rated it it was ok
Though I finished this book I have to say Brianna was bipolar, manipulative,and selfish. I really disliked her when she interacted with Sloan.
  • No Gentle Love
  • Crimson Rapture
  • Bride of the Wind
  • Lady Vixen (Louisiana, #5)
  • Lovesong (Song, #1)
  • The Taming (Cameron, #1)
  • Island Flame (Pirates, #1)
  • Velvet Chains
  • Embrace and Conquer
  • The Copeland Bride
  • Lady Of Fire (Fire, #1)
  • Wild Bells to the Wild Sky
  • Captive Mistress
  • Never Call It Love
  • Desert Hostage
  • Captive Passions (Captive, #1)
  • Tell Me Lies
Also published as Heather Graham Pozzessere and Shannon Drake.

New York Times and USA Today best-selling author Heather Graham majored in theater arts at the University of South Florida. After a stint of several years in dinner theater, back-up vocals, and bartending, she stayed home after the birth of her third child and began to write, working on short horror stories and romances. After some tria
More about Heather Graham...