Start by marking “Welfare Wifeys: A Hood Rat Novel” as Want to Read:
Welfare Wifeys: A Hood Rat Novel

Welfare Wifeys: A Hood Rat Novel

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  1,094 ratings  ·  33 reviews
After the deaths and arrests of his entire crew and an informant-fueled investigation into his past, the man known on the streets as Animal relocates to Texas and finds fame and stardom as the newest act signed to the notorious Big Dawg Entertainment. His girlfriend, Gucci, is thrilled when she gets the news that he's coming back to New York on a promotional tour, but when ...more
Published September 28th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Welfare Wifeys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welfare Wifeys

Diana
Well... this book is mainly about a guy named Animal and his urge to kill everyone to avenge the death of someone close to him. Then you have the "Welfare Wifeys" who are broke but sleep around with ballers. I don't quite understand this logic, because even one of their Grandma's is like, how in the hell are you giving it away but always broke. Once again, the females are always played stupid while the men have all the cash. Lame. Also, I really didn't like how K'Wan felt the need to give himsel ...more
Rakia
I enjoyed the read but I was 75% done with the book before I could figure out who was who and what was what. There were too many side characters and seperate stories. It would have been better if the story had just focused on Animal and Malika.
Sistar Tea
The Music Don’t Stop

With the latest installment of “The Hood Rat Series” K’wan went back to his fast-paced roots. While I enjoyed the slower pace of “Section 8” the readers had mixed feelings and K’wan listened and took it up several notches in this banger. I love how with each book we keep up with past main characters and new ones take the helm. In this one Animal and Gucci step up to bat.

Newest rap sensation Animal has to come back to NY and wants to stay under the radar. Is that possible with
Shanae
I am tempted not to write this review because I have a strong feeling that I might not have been interested in this book for reasons most people would not mind. But anyway, here goes it: This is the first novel K’wan has written that I just did not like…it must be me because there are so many other positive reviews that rave about the story. K’wan’s Hood Rat novels have too many characters and the plot is far too intricate to handle the narratives of such simple-minded characters. I read a lot o ...more
dianne budd
i have no idea how to rate this book. it was suggested to me as a good example of hip-hop, street-lit, urban fiction. Absolutely urban.
It is well written but so full of violence, self-hate and misogyny that it was often painful to read. Despite characters that commit heinous, totally unconscionable acts, somehow K'wan makes them human; quite the gift. When they cross lines that would normally define (for me) a limit of my (disbelief-suspended) compassion - i still want to know what happens to th
Monique
Gucci, Jada, Tionna and Malika are all home girls from the projects. Life had given them all different hands to play in the same game. They all opened their hearts to men of the streets and now were reaping the consequences. Animal, Cutty, Don. B and every other man in the projects had their eyes on these ladies. Animal is an up and coming rapper for Don. B but can’t seem to cut his ties to the streets so he can live the life of a superstar. The police are hot on their trail but dead bodies keep ...more
Krystal White
Loving Animal

Awesome
book. I have read them out of sequence but love them! Can't wait for the next one
You have made a fan out of me!
Vanessa
blAh

I liked the end that's all. Too much characters where is yoshi and everybody else from the first book blAh
Shakeisha Williams
K'Wan has showed his skills with this one! Very good plot and stories of the hood, but it seemed more of the stories were focused on the men instead of the "welfare wifeys". My biggest dislike was the introduction so many characters I had to remember who was who and how they were connected. The ending was great, I have to know what happens to Animal. I love his menacing character, and that sweet side of him when it came to his woman. He was definitely a beast in the streets, but knew how to love ...more
Diane Rembert
Welfare Wifeys is the fourth installment in the Hood Rat series. Gucci and Animal return to NYC for business and, but at whose expense? Don B is still claiming to be the King of the town, but whose coming for his crown? In true K'wan fashion, there were many twists and turns, but the ending took the cake!! I'm strapping on my seatbelt for Eviction Notice,because I know it's gonna be a ride!

Yolanda Knight
AWESOME.....As Jay-Z would say
On To The Next One
Dr. Nic
Page Turner! I still consider myself new to Kwan’s books having read only two. The first took me a while to get used to but this one didn’t. It was pretty good; the Hood Rat series is a hawt mess. I still think that there are way too many unnecessary characters. I would find that sometimes I would forget who certain people were because there were just too many to keep track of.
I’m ready for the next book in the series!
Monica
I think it is safe to say I am not into the urban fiction. For me everything seemed so over the top. There were so many characters I could not keep up (well I could but it was extremely difficult). I felt there was no real plot and no surprises or twist. I found I had to force myself to finish this book. Maybe if this style of writing was my type I would have liked it more. Not my cup of tea.
Quan
K'wan is a talented dude. Everything that he writes is a banger! Animal is the dude. Them two detectives got on my nerve so I am glad that they are gone. I love Ms. Pat, she was funny as hell. I can't wait to read Eviction Notice because I want to see what's going to happen with Jada and Cutty and Animal and Gucci.
Marquita George
This was an amazing read!! After reading this, I had to read Animal because I wanted to know what happened after this was written. I really wish Animal had made it in the music industry though, giving him and Gucci a life to look forward to. From reading this book, I could really tell growing up in the hood is a true struggle.
Deszion Nasir
Another fast-paced book about the life and times of women trying to make it, some confused, some devious, with an underlying plot cleverly masked within the plot. One thing I love about K'wan is you HAVE to pay attention. There may be a lot of characters, but they're all important later. Busy, busy busy book!
Angie
Really good writing style. Book had a bit too much going on though. I wasn't even sure of the point of the book until I was about 2/3 in, which made for a very long read considering I couldn't really get into it until then.
Danita Brown
K'wan has not disappoint me when reading his books. Welfare wife's is no different. I'm sorry they got Animal but some1 saved his ass, I hope. And I hope him and Gucci hang in there. On 2 part 5.
Ciara Whayne
This book series is AWESOME from line one to line none it's hands down a MUSTREAD series I cannot wait until the next one comes out BOSS DIVAS awill be in my cart pre-ordered honey !
Mz.moccaa
This was good from beginning to end. K'wan is no joke when it come to the book game.
I'm waiting for Eviction to come out so, I find find out what happened to animal.
Mz.moccaa
I DIDN'T GET TO FINISH IT YET ,BUT K'WAN IS A VERY TALENTED WRITER. HE COMES OUT WITH HIT AFTER
HIT. I BET IF YOU READ IT YOU WOULD SAY THE SAME.......
Belinda
As I stated earlier I am adire heart K'wan fan. I love his books. This is the second of A Hood Rat Novel. I am getting ready to start reading Eviction Notice.
Rashondra Bradford
Loved this book from start to finish, can''t wait to see what happens to Animail, Cutty, Jada, Gucci and Ashanti!
Charmain
I love anything Kwan puts out. Its something about the way the stories are put, real shit
Shantel Andeveryoneinit
I love this author his books never disappoints me I loved this book !!!!!!!
Philly
Can't wait to read the continuation.
SlimmGoodie
Great book! His writing is so real!!!
Kim
I couldn't get past disc 1.
Delonya
Final Rating 5 Stars
Shonds
This was a good read
  • Heist
  • Snapped
  • The Golden Hustla
  • Superstar
  • The Dopefiend (The Dopeman, #2)
  • Guilty Gucci
  • Material Girl
  • Desperate Hoodwives
  • Cartier Cartel
  • The Glamorous Life
In 2002 K'wan hit the scene with his debut novel Gangsta, under Triple Crown Publications. It was the first novel released by the budding house and would eventually become the building block for what is now a multimillion dollar company. What started as a therapeutic release went on to become a part of urban-lit history and an Essence bestseller, as well as drawing rave reviews overseas.
After pen
More about K'wan...
Hood Rat Section 8 Animal Still Hood: A HoodRat Novel Eviction Notice: A Hood Rat Novel