Start by marking “The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon, #5)

The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon #5)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  31,777 Ratings  ·  254 Reviews
BOOK 5 OF THE MALLOREON, the worldwide bestselling fantasy series by one of the godfathers of the tradition. Discover the epic stories that inspired generations of fantasy writers - from Raymond Feist's The Riftwar Cycle to George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones.

The final choice: darkness or light

The last clue has been found. It will lead Garion and his friends t
Paperback
Published November 14th 1991 by Bantam Books (Transworld Publishers a division of the Random House Group) (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Seeress of Kell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seeress of Kell

Simon
Apr 16, 2009 Simon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
By the time I got to the end of this series, I realised David Eddings wasn't for me anymore.
Darth
Sep 30, 2008 Darth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I REALLY loved the Belgariad series, and I so looked forward to this follow up series. I had hoped it would be similar but with new story lines, and adventures.

Instead it was a bad rehash of the same story, but with the extra addition of some pretty ludicrous twists, that caused enough discontinuity with the original series, as to make it hardly worth reading.

You always hear about series that were continued in the blind search to squeeze more money out of fans of the original, and usually I thin
Lel
This is the last book in the Malloreon series and the end was definitely reading through the series if the characters have a special place in your heart. As much as I love the characters and the world that the story is set in I can't help but feel a little short changed with this series. It feels very much the same as the Belgariad series, just rehashed. To the point that the characters are commenting that so much that happens in this adventure mirrors the plot in the Belgaraid just with place n ...more
Kristalia
Final rating: 5/5 stars
Final rating - for the whole series ( Belgariad universe): 5/5 stars

I started this series when i first bought first series The Belgariad, but it wasn't my favorite series back then.

I knew there was a sequel series, but i didn't rush to buy it (until all copies were almost sold, then i went into panic and bought the sequel as well). Reading the sequel series, The Malloreon, was unique experience.

The books were much longer, with more interesting story, and it was interes
David Sarkies
Oct 27, 2014 David Sarkies rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody really
Recommended to David by: My auntie
Shelves: fantasy
The final book in the pentology, or so we thought
31 August 2012

Well, I have now come to the end of another pointless series of books that does very little to add to the collection of human literature that is pounding our vision these days. A lot of people do seem to have liked these books and I must admit that when I was a teenager I was one of them, but these days I hope that books like these will end up being confined to the dust bin of history and forgotten like the many other books that hav
Andrew Leon
Mar 26, 2011 Andrew Leon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's great to re-visit the characters from The Belgariad and see them in action again; unfortunately, that's the best thing that can be said about the series. It's not that it's bad; it's a completely enjoyable read. However, Eddings fails to move forward with his writing and, instead, gives us what is essentially the same plot from The Belgariad over again. If you've read The Belgariad and loved it, you should certainly read The Mallorean, as well. If you're hoping for something new, though, mo ...more
Jonel Boyko
May 24, 2016 Jonel Boyko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rlftci-2016
What a fantastic ending to a great series. The plot of the entire series comes to a head with shocking clarity. The way that all of the different parts of the story are wrapped up was rewarding. At the same time, the forward progression of the tale and the intricate world building never ceases.

The dynamic between the members of the group is so well defined by this point in the series that I felt as if I were part of it. Each individual has captured a piece of my heart throughout the series yet
Nate
Feb 21, 2015 Nate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A fun conclusion to a series that I've read over and over again. However, I have one specific problem with this book, which will be in Spoiler tags:

(view spoiler)
Mollie Clarke
Jul 17, 2014 Mollie Clarke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now, what to say about the final book?! Reading this series has opened me up to a whole new thinking of fantasy, I liked it before hand but not now I just love reading it! A lot happens in this book and none of it is boring. You will be gripped when reading this book and will both want to continue reading and not read it at the same time. I found myself struggling between needing to know what would happen and not wanting to finish it too quickly. When I did finish, I felt very empty, I hadn't re ...more
Matt Braymiller
Mar 26, 2016 Matt Braymiller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-reread
And so it ends, another re-read of this splendid series of books. The hardcovers are once more put away. I will revisit them in another three or four years and once more journey with Garion and his friends on their various adventures.

Everyone is familiar with the concept of comfort foods. I think these are on the list of my comfort books. Comfort foods make us feel happy and are almost always associated with joyful memories. So too with these books.

The final third of this novel deal with wrappin
Alex
Jul 05, 2015 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my review of both the Belgariad and the Malloreon. I read both through because I'm a sucker for a series about a long quest. However, it was nearly impossible to ignore the blatant misogyny and racism that permeated each and every book. He goes to needless lengths to make sure all his female characters - even the "strong" ones - are shown to be weak and "feminine" at least once or twice. And don't get me started on his description of non-white ethnicities.

The white male characters are a
Amanda
Sep 15, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series became a proper slog towards the end, with plotholes you could drive a bus through and a repetitive nature with the first series that was hand-waved away airily by the authors through some tenuous discussions between their characters. Glad I'm done, to be honest. Nostalgia is the only thing not reducing this to a two star read.
Sam
Jul 29, 2015 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
This is the fifth and final in the Malloreon series and finds all the separate threads being brought together in an intense and epic finale that is worthy of the series as a whole. Every character faces their own challenges with Garion is deceived into wasting precious time following red herrings set by Naradas and Cyradis having to face the choice between Light and Dark without the aid of her trusted Toth, risking everything in the process. Once again Eddings grips us with his characters and ev ...more
Gimena
Jan 23, 2015 Gimena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro de fantasía que me encantó, me pareció muy entretenido. La vidente de Kell es un libro (en este caso dos volúmenes) que integran la serie Crónicas de Mallorea. Yo los encontré muy baratos en una librería y me los traje. La verdad que al leerlos no supe si había algo antes o después de estos dos libros, me imaginé que sí pero la verdad que la historia es bastante clara si uno no sabe que es parte de una saga y lee las historias por separado.
Esta info la saqué de wikipedia y aclara todo:
Josh
Dec 02, 2014 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVED this book! I started reading the Belgariad a couple years ago, along with the Malloreon, and I have read them multiple times since then. These books are one of my favorite book series of all time, and I absolutely loved them! :)

#grumpypython

Michael Murdoch
Apr 30, 2014 Michael Murdoch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Now in the final stages of their quest for his son, Garion and his companions travel to Kell to consult the only undamaged copy of the Malloreon Gospels. For centuries the Seers have guarded this book from the Grolims and even had their wizards put a curse of blindness on any Grolim who tried to enter Kell. So, as proclaimed in Guardians of the West, Belgarion the Godslayer sets out with those who must join him: the Eternal Man, the Guide, the Man with Two Lives, the Bearer of the Orb and the Si

Charles Harrison
It has been a long time since I started this series and this book on its own makes the entire series worthwhile. After a little mimbrate silliness the climax of the quest is every bit as epic as you might expect with all the main characters getting to show their abilities. The evil characters are pleasingly evil and are overcome and the final victory is at hand. At this point you realise that despite having a 5 chapter final confrontation you are still only halfway through the book.
At this point
Jeffrey
Sep 14, 2010 Jeffrey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Eddings fans
Shelves: fantasy
the problem for me with this series is number 1 its practically a retelling of the Belgariad, #2 practically every character is the same, #3, I think the middle three books are just a bunch of chatter for chatter sake b/c Eddings is very good at dialogue and characters ad we love the characters but these would have been a whole lot better if the series was 3 books than 5. There is just too little plot advancement in the middle frew books.
Ruth ☆☽
A very satisfying if somewhat predictable ending to this mammoth double epic. I particularly liked the fact that we aren't left wondering what happened to all the characters but are treated to a couple of chapters tying up loose ends and giving us an overview of how their lives continue on, after the final cataclysmic episode.
Christopher
Well, it's finally over. This series was still overlong and never quite had the narrative thrust of the Belgariad. It was always frustrating to me that despite the plot being the recovery of Garion's kidnapped son, there was never a sense of urgency about it.

Also, by the last two books in the series, the traveling party had grown so unwieldy that Eddings actually had several sections of one group simply trying, and failing, to catch up to the main group. There was no danger in this, just annoya
Gabriel Salter
Nov 07, 2014 Gabriel Salter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comedy
The concept behind this series, that a warp in time is causing the main characters to repeat things they did in the last series "The Belgariad," is still not well thought through enough and feels like a disguise to hide a derivative book. But it's still an interesting concept, and in this final book Eddings finally takes it and uses it to bring something original to the series.

Is The Mallorean still inferior to The Belgariad? Oh yes.

Did this series need to be thought through and conceived a lit
Nathan
Jan 11, 2014 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
And so they all head to the conclusion and the inevitable success and homecoming (no spoiler there, it is not one of those fantasy series).

It is unfortunate that there could be absolutely no doubt to the outcome of the Final Choice, since the Fate of the World deserves some pathos, and the entire structure and tone of this series drove it resolutely towards but one conclusion. So while there was a climax, it was not a Climax. Even the question of which character would die w an obvious one, since
Vinay Keerthi
I know the others give this book a bad rating, but nostalgia, and the wonderful ending deserves five stars. I will miss walking alongside Belgarath, and I am glad that I had these books to fall back on in this stage in my life. I have not read fantasy in years, and I thought I'd had enough of the genre. I have not. It's time to read more.
I'll miss this universe, I recommend this to anyone who's not prejudiced against clichéd storylines. Eddings wrote in a time where to imitate Tolkien was the be
Feb 26, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to wait until I read the series before reviewing it. If you read the Belgariad, then you really should read this. All of the characters from that series are back, just a few years older.
I enjoyed this series on the same level as Wheel of Time and the Deverry books. Eddings creates a detailed world and fills it with characters that you want to know more about...you want just one more book. I love a series that is extensive, that I can immerse myself in.
I will not write a chapter by c
Mayank Agarwal
The only book I liked from the 5 book series Malloreon, it is better written and at last things were happening, just knowing it’s the end made it more enjoyable. The plot is still pointless with the conclusion already foretold. Read it for the journey and friendly banter. Also there is a lot of fan service or happy ending given to the characters we have come to know (this being the 10th book in the Belgariad universe with the same characters).

I didn't like the series but this book was enjoyable
Dan Voyce
Jun 16, 2015 Dan Voyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid 4.5*

I didn't bother doing a review of the last 3 books in this series, they should basically be merged into a single volume in my opinion as they are so tightly coupled following one storyline that a single review will do.

I don't really see any difference between this series and The Belgeriad, it seems a bit of a cop out that the stories were basically the same - but I loved the way that Eddings poignantly makes it part of the story that things are repeating (one could almost attest to i
Werehare
Mar 21, 2015 Werehare rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantatrash
2/10

[Recensione dell'intera serie]
Non è attivamente demente come tanti altri suoi colleghi, e questa è la fine dei suoi pregi. Solito polpettone rimasticato fino alla nausea, straripante di dei e mostri puzzoni e palle di fuoco ed eroi maschi bianchi etero cis come neanche una partita di D&D, tenuto insieme da una prosa goffa e inforigurgitosa (pur se non mancano momenti ironici), zeppa di virgole tra soggetto e verbo. Garion è il classico Gary Stue che insegna a tutti a fare tutto, Ce'Nedra
Brecht Denijs
Jun 29, 2014 Brecht Denijs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Nooooooo! I didn't want this to end! :(
By the gods, what can I say about this/these book(s) that I haven't said already? I love them. I don't think I've enjoyed a series this much since Lord of the Rings. Granted, the story line is a little basic at times, it's not the most innovating of plots, if you're a seasoned fantasy reader, you're not in for too many surprises (the flip side is this would be ideal if you want to try fantasy for the first time though) but the characters, the dialogue, the
Susan
I am writing the same review for the entire Malloreon as it is nearly impossible to pick out each book from the series as if it were a stand alone novel; they all tie together and build on one another.

For me, this series was not as good as the Belgariad. In part, I think, the opinion is a function of the fact that I was several years older reading the Malloreon than reading the Belgariad. However, even as I re-read occasionally as an adult I think the first series was better than the second.

Gene
Marilag
All good things come to an end, and this overly long journey finally closes its story in The Mallorean. I can't say anything I wanted was kept loose, all the strings were tied well enough, too well in fact that I'm heavily surprised anyone could come up with alternate fanfics on the characters.

The situation with the inevitable Choice was actually much more interesting than the battle against Torak in The Belgariad, but the story of this second series itself felt a little repetitive, with an addi
The Nerd Herd: The Seeress of Kell 1 5 Feb 22, 2014 01:57PM
  • Prince of the Blood (Krondor's Sons, #1)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • The Dragon Token (Dragon Star, #2)
  • The Seventh Gate (The Death Gate Cycle, #7)
  • Winds of Fury (Valdemar: Mage Winds #3)
  • Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #1)
  • The Eye of the Hunter (Mithgar, #14)
  • The King's Justice (The Histories of King Kelson, #2)
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he achie
More about David Eddings...

The Malloreon (5 books)
  • Guardians of the West (The Malloreon, #1)
  • King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)
  • Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon, #3)
  • Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon, #4)

“Consistency is the defense of a small mind” 94 likes
“It's one of the advantages of being a woman. I get to do all sorts of unfair things, and you have to accept them because you're too polite not to.
--Polgara”