Infoquake (The Jump 225 Trilogy, #1)

Infoquake (The Jump 225 Trilogy #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  976 ratings  ·  120 reviews
How far should you go to make a profit?

Infoquake, the debut novel by David Louis Edelman, takes speculative fiction into alien territory: the corporate boardroom of the far future. It's a stunning trip through the trenches of a technological war fought with product demos, press releases, and sales pitches.

Natch is a master of bio/logics, the programming of the human body....more
Published July 11th 2006 by Pyr (first published July 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Infoquake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infoquake

Neuromancer by William GibsonSnow Crash by Neal StephensonThe Diamond Age by Neal StephensonAltered Carbon by Richard K. MorganDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
Best of Cyberpunk
55th out of 186 books — 755 voters
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickSnow Crash by Neal StephensonThe Martian Chronicles by Ray BradburyNeuromancer by William GibsonFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Sword and Laser Sci-Fi list
124th out of 354 books — 881 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason Pettus
(Much longer full review can be found at the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com].)

Regular readers of the CCLaP website know that I am a fan of science-fiction; and when it comes to what I like most about the genre, I have to admit that for me it mostly boils down to the concepts, to the grand ideas on display versus the author's writing style or other technical issues. And this of course is something else that regular readers already know, that I see the actual mechan...more
Eoghann Irving
A remarkable work of future world building. The biotech is very convincing as is the future history that Edelman has constructed. The world may in fact be the most complex and compelling character in the book.

It's surprisingly engrossing for a novel in which (when you boil it down) relatively few things actually happen. I spent most of the time waiting for the inevitable revelation of what was really going on and I had to keep reading to find out.

Hard to avoid the feeling that the whole thing is...more
Chris
Infoquake has a few interesting ideas - "fiefcorps" as the future of entrepreneurial ventures, "bio/logics" software paired up with nanotech to help people modify or amplify their bodily functions, vestigial government entities reduced to marketing their sign-on promotions and benefits packages to attract clientele. The majority of the novel seems to be a rather long read with little actual content, however.

The main character is the largest problem for the author, as he tries to portray some so...more
Daniel Roy
Bleh. And this one had so much promise. The setting is fantastic: it's a futuristic world of cutthroat corporations, and there are some sort of nano-machines in everyone's blood that allows them to run programs on their very body. It's like a software version of cyberpunk augmentations. And there's Primo's, kind of like a futuristic app store, and there's Natch, a rebel CEO who hungers for the top spot.

Sounds pretty great, right? Unfortunately, this book is the poster child for novels not living...more
Jakub Nowak
Interesting and complex world, great protagonist (though an arrogant bastard) and a bit too much of 'first tome' syndrome. That's Infoquake in a nutshell. The pace is pretty slow (plus a lengthy retrospective) but there is enough happening too keep one interested. Definitely waiting for part two.
Chris Wilson
If you like the writings of William Gibson or Neal Stephenson, don't overlook this book! Edelman's vision of the future is so complex and rewarding that you'll feel instantly immersed.

As this is book one in a trilogy, there is not much in the way of a grand resolution at the end. But since all three books are out now, that's not much of an issue. You really need to read all three, and by the end of this book, you'll certainly want to! Multireal and Geosynchron flesh out Edelman's world in even g...more
Liam
I'm a big fan of cyberpunk as a genre and as a general concept; some of my favourite books, video games and media in general have been set in cyberpunk worlds, often dystopian. Typically, they revolve around cyber-warfare, oppression and incredible technology.

The world of Infoquake is interesting in that it while it definitely includes the latter of those three, it isn't dystopian. Well it is, slightly, but the distinction is that the novel isn't based on that at all. It's more a general thing t...more
Wendy
I just finished Infoquake and am trying to decide how I feel about it. On the one hand, it has a very unique worldview, which is what got me interested in the first place. The book is set in a futuristic world where programmers work on code for tiny, ability-enhancing machines inside the human body. The book is filled with a ton of other ideas which were often PKD-like in their presentation - mentioned with limited explanation, very interesting in their own right, yet relegated to lesser importa...more
Marta
David Louis Edelman, programista z Kalifornii, zadebiutował w 2008 roku powieścią „Infoszok”, pierwszą częścią trylogii „Skok 225”. Nie jest to książka ani do końca dobra, ani też całkowicie kiepska; z potencjałem i kilkoma ciekawie zarysowanymi koncepcjami, a zarazem niewystarczająco doszlifowana i naznaczona piętnem zarówno tomu otwierającego cykl, jak i pierwszego dokonania literackiego autora.

Zaczyna się całkiem obiecująco, najmocniejszymi punktami, jakie oferuje czytelnikom proza Edelmana....more
Lit Bug

I had a hard time deciding what I feel about this book. Giving a conservative 3.5 stars, despite liking the novel overall.

I just love this work immensely for proving them all wrong - NO, CYBERPUNK ISN'T DEAD! This is the closest any modern novel has ever come to cyberpunk. It not only employs most standard cyberpunk tropes – that of a loner, alienated white male, a low-brow making it big with his virtual skills against the giant mega-corporations - but truly surpasses the outdated genre...more
Iosephus
Infoquake is set in a future where the human body is entirely programmable. Everyone has nanomachines in their bodies, and the market for human programs (called bio/logic in the novel) is immensely profitable. The story centers around Natch and his plot to take his nascent bio/logic corporation to the top of the big leagues.

Sadly, the author's narration is extremely inconsistent. Events and organizations are mentioned without much explanation, as if those reading were a part of the world, but th...more
James Williams
I read this book a couple of years ago (I think I got it roughly after the paperback dropped) and have been intending to read the other two books in the Jump 225 trilogy since then, but I never got around to it. There have always been other books on my stack.

Then, a few weeks ago, I finished Stephen Baxter's Time (or is it Manifold: Time? I'm honestly not too clear l on it) which reminded me a lot of Infoquake. So I wanted to read the rest of that series. But first, I needed to re-familiarize m...more
Ryun
Movie money is creating a dark place in the science fiction publishing world. While this cash allows writers to quit their day jobs and write full time, it has also inspired a terrible rash of “cinematic” science fiction that isn’t really science fiction at all. Pyr Books has emerged as the antidote to this sickness, and the latest example of this is David Louis Edelman’s INFOQUAKE.

INFOQUAKE is a triumph of speculation. Edelman has foreseen a nanotech future of warring corporations and stock mar...more
Stuart Reid
In the future the new era began with the works of Sheldon Surina and his progeny, which kickstarted Nanotechnology, the Multinetwork, a unified theory that released unlimited power and bandwidth, and even teleportation. Everything is mostly capitalist here, and in the main cities people tend to live and work via Multi Projection - a hybrid of the physical and cyber worlds.

Most humans are fully impregnated with nanobots and software known as bio/logics are widely available to customise yourself....more
Tamahome
May 18, 2010 Tamahome rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: worldbuilding hounds, business minded

It's ok. I was ready to have my mind f'd by the MultiReal, but that's been put off for the next book. The ending of the book is 2 dudes chatting in a room. It's kind of a 'business thriller'. The highlight was looking up a word in the glossary, and discovering a cool feature of the world.

worldbuilding: 9
plot: 3
characters: 7

penalties:
introspection: -5
flashback: -5
Milele
This book is a little blatant in its presentation of cool ideas and cool scenarios, like the description of how programmers manipulate 3D programs with their control bars, or how government might run if taken over by political action groups. Some plot ends aren't entirely tied up. But if you can enjoy the ideas as loosely tied together by a wild plot, then it's a fun read.
Sean Randall
“I've tackled a lot of tough problems in my life, but I can't remember a single time I said to myself, You could fix this if you just had a few alternate realities.”

Wow. The first bit was superbly irritating because the world seems so impenetrable and almost too futuristic to be real. But after we see a little history in the shortest initiation I was raring to read the rest. It's a boldly painted world with Humanity on a rough, hard, diamond edge, not a relaxed tome or a pretty futuristic depict...more
Eddie
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Great sci-fi, but the focus is more on the "business" end of things. The author has created a rich, detailed world of the future -- it's easy to see that he put a lot of thought and research into his world-building.

This isn't an action-oriented sci-fi novel; it's much more cerebral/psychological, and as I already mentioned, the story revolves around business/entrepreneurship.

A fascinating and entertaining read. My only complaint is that the plot was somew...more
Yvonne
Jul 18, 2008 Yvonne added it
I can't give this book a rating, since I didn't finish it. I had no interest in the characters.
Tavis
"It was ok" and yet I immediately started reading part two...
Joey O'Donnell
This was a reread for me, as I somehow never got around to reading the second and third books in this trilogy when they came out a number of years ago. I've finally gotten my hands on them, so back to the beginning for a refresh.

I tore through this one in about two days. It's one of those easy-reading, futuristic corporate dramas, which in and of itself sounds a little odd. At its essence, it's the story of a small band of software developers (in this case, software is any program that alters ho...more
Paul Weimer
Bursting with ideas, set in an undefined medium term science fiction future, in some ways, Infoquake, a first novel by David Louis Edelman, is very much in the classic mode of science fiction. It also has strong elements of the corporate thriller, post-cyberpunk and even post-failed-singularity science fiction.

Oh, and it all takes in a hypercapitalist future.

Some several hundred years after some very bad history for humanity, the world of Infoquake is at once very familiar, with its undeniably...more
Dennis Fischman
My favorite movie reviewers at the Video Hound have a system. They rate movies not in some absolute terms--how would you compare Blade Runner, The Lion in Winter, and Young Frankenstein?--but against others of the same type or genre.

If Goodreads had a similar system, I'd give Infoquake 4-5 stars in the "hard science fiction" category. Imagine that the planet had got so dependent on artificially intelligent machines that they started to rule our lives. Then people revolted and reacted so hard aga...more
Tensy
This is an unusual science fiction book that reads more like a Wall Street memoir. Very detailed world that describes a post-apocalyptic future where bio/logics programs run our bodies. Interesting characters which are multi-dimensional and flawed, yet you keep rooting for them to succeed. The plot resonates with issues we are now confronting about uncontrolled greed in business, politics and unchecked technological advances, and what this means for humanity as a whole. This book was written in...more
Army of Penguins
I liked this book. No hate, but also no love.

The good: Impressive worldbuilding! The author clearly did a lot of work coming up with the history of this future society, and the tech feels believable most of the time.

The bad: The protagonist. At best, I can't relate to him and don't care about his fate. At worst, I want to punch him in the face. The secondary characters are more likable, but they unfortunately don't get a chance to really develop next to the jerk/idiot who is our protagonist.

The...more
Ben Babcock
Imagine, if you will, that your body was home to thousands of nanotechnological devices. These devices are the hardware platform for software that controls anything from your heartbeat to your eye colour—the miraculous field known as bio/logics. With the right programming, you can enhance your senses, expand your memory, or cripple your body.

What if Apple decided which bio/logics programs you could run in your body?

That's the question I couldn't get out of my mind as I read Infoquake. David Loui...more
Michael
Aug 04, 2008 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
A relatively fast-paced far-future science fiction tale that some are going to feel the need to pigeon-hole into a genre with the suffix "-punk."

Edelman does several things right here: his technology is original and flavorful (though I found its capabilities and limitations somewhat disbelief-stretching), his story moves quickly, and his characters are involved in trying to sell a product on a fast-paced market, rather than descending to gunplay to keep the excitement up.

On the other hand, the w...more
David
A fresh and exciting branch on the cyberpunk tree.

Edelman draws the reader into the world of Natch, Jara, Horvil and his many enemies with such ease that it is easy to imagine the wonders of a Bio/Logic, the Multi Network and even the exquisite creation of MultiReal, a collaborative technology that allows one person to create the reality that the desire while the rest of the world subconsciously agrees to it.

The protagonist, Natch, is not a nice guy. He will do anything it takes to get ahead, ta...more
Nigel
There’s nothing like a slick, smart, well-written science fiction thriller to set the mind buzzing and racing with strange new ideas and brilliant, imaginative, logical leaps into the future. The reader is plunged into a world that is utterly strange and yet oddly familiar, as the old human passions and drives and desires play their old games in this future funhouse.

The future funhouse of Infoquake, gives us a world where technology is literally built into people, turning them into walking iP...more
Paul
This book takes place many years after the collapse of civilization. A group of sentient computers called the Autonomous Minds rebelled against mankind in the Autonomous Revolt. Now, Earth is dominated by bio/logics, the science of programming the human body.

The programs have names like Eyemorph 1.0, DeMirage 24.5, Poker Face 83.4b and AntiSleepStim 124.7. The average person has thousands of such programs in their bodies, courtesy of microscopic robots placed at or before birth. Natch is a maste...more
  • Mirrored Heavens (Autumn Rain #1)
  • Implied Spaces
  • The Quiet War
  • Omnitopia: Dawn (Omnitopia, #1)
  • Spin Control
  • Ventus
  • Recursion (AI Trilogy #1)
  • The Electric Church (Avery Cates, #1)
  • Counting Heads (Counting Heads, #1)
  • Stealing Light (The Shoal Sequence, #1)
  • A World Too Near (Entire and the Rose, #2)
  • Yarn
  • KOP (Juno Mozambe Mystery #1)
  • Prophets (Apotheosis, #1)
  • Maul
  • The Execution Channel
  • Brasyl
  • Eclipse 1: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
David Louis Edelman's first novel Infoquake was called "the love child of Donald Trump and Vernor Vinge" by Barnes & Noble Explorations and later named their Top SF Novel of 2006. Infoquake was also nominated for the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Best Novel, and he has been nominated for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer in 2008.

His second novel, MultiReal (the sequel to Inf...more
More about David Louis Edelman...
MultiReal (The Jump 225 Trilogy, #2) Geosynchron (The Jump 225 Trilogy, #3) Multireal Multirzeczywistość Geosynchron (Volume III of the Jump 225 Trilogy)