Black Order: A Sigma Force Novel

Black Order: A Sigma Force Novel (Sigma Force #3)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  15,610 ratings  ·  599 reviews

In Copenhagen . . .

a suspicious bookstore fire propels Commander Gray Pierce on a relentless hunt across four continents—and into a terrifying mystery sur-rounding horrific experiments once performed in a now-abandoned laboratory buried in a hollowed-out mountain in Poland.

In the mountains of Nepal . . .

in a remote monastery, Buddhist monks inexplicably turn to canni...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Harpercollins (first published June 1st 2006)

Stephen
4.0 stars. Having just finished book three of the Sigma Force series, I can certainly say I am a fan. I love the premise which is basically special forces agents with PhDs in multiple sciences working for a secret arm of DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) hunting down rogue technology and terrorists. Great action, smart, slick plots and a bunch of real "good guy" characters. Certainly the literary equivalent of junk food but it really tastes good.
Jean
"The truth is too beautiful to die and too monstrous to set free."

It sounded like a melodramatic statement on the part of a doomed Nazi scientist at first, but when I actually got to the ending of the book... I felt that these words, repeated throughout the second half of the book, were truly appropriate for the conclusion of the book.

Black Order felt a little different than Rollins' other books. It seemed a little less frantic, but also a little less coherent; I attribute this to the fact that...more
Pam (E.P. Scott)

Black Order is exciting, engaging and educational (don’t let the ‘educational’ scare you – it was beautifully orchestrated and will be unforgettable).

The short:
Black Order takes the reader on a wild adventure from the Himalayas to South Africa, Copenhagen, Germany and Washington. With Nazi Germany, eugenics, evolution, Darwin and God, Rollins tells the tale of mysterious illnesses, dark secrets, the perfect race, a madman’s agenda for a new order and a glimpse into what make us…us.

The Long (bu...more
Elii Vela
Datos históricos verídicos:
En los últimos meses de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, con la caída de Alemania; británicos, americanos, rusos y franceses se dedicaron a saquear la tecnología de los científicos nazis. Muchos científicos fueron asesinados, otros reclutados por Estados Unidos, laboratorios destruidos, proyectos ocultados con triple chapa ;) todo con tal de evitar que el conocimiento que ellos habían conseguido, fuese robado por otras naciones. Uno de esos proyectos de investigación tenía e...more
Jacquelyn
Curse you James Rollins! You kept me up until nearly two a.m. on a school night because I had to finish this book.

As with any author, Mr. Rollins has a distinctive style of writing, that leads me to know somewhat how the story will unfold. Because of this, I can only read one of his books every couple of months. Here's what I like about Mr. Rollins's books:
1. They fit directly into their genre
2. No One is precious (if you read him, I think you'll understand this a bit more)
3. The characters are...more
Angela
I picked up James Rollins' Black Order on another impulse buy, half-certain that it was going to suck after I'd gotten burned on my last attempt to impulse-buy a thriller. This time around I didn't get a spectacular read, but it turned out to be not half-bad. I did have the disadvantage of coming in partway into a series, which meant several character relationships had been established before the start of this particular story... but it didn't hinder the telling of this one too much.

Turns out th...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Well, I guess I'll never be a Rollins fan. I feel a bit bad about this as I have friends here who really like his work. bear that in mind and realize that my review is subjective...it's how I liked the book.

This one is better (imo) than the other I read by Mr. Rollins (The Judas Strain), but still it lost me. I mean you'd think a book with Nazi scientists, mutant horrors, a chemical/biological threat, daring rescues, harrowing escapes, action...and an/the answer to the ultimate evolutionary ques...more
Meika
I generally compare all secret-society/illuminati/techno-conspiracy novels against Foucault's Pendulum, and against Da Vinci Code. DVC is a 1, FP is a 5.
The characters started out like the usual stock characters... black ops guy, hawt female doc doing research, German engineers with Nazi allegiances... etc ad yawn. But then there was some actual character development! I mean, more than I hoped for from a mass market techno-thriller. They're developed along fairly predictable dimensions (the cha...more
Chris
The best Sigma Force novel by far (I've also read no. 5). I always learn so much about Science, Technology and History whenever I read a a Rollins that my head spins! However, the science behind this novel is fascinating, for some they may find it a little hard to grasp, but his characters always explain it so well. The evolutionary bits were amazing, and I find evolution so boring at school - not any more thanks to Physics!

As for the history - there was clearly more to the Nazis than I thought....more
Skies
Guess it just wasnt my style. The dialog was predictable, trite, and read like a script to a mediocre summer action movie. It didnt give enough credit to the readers, since instead of developing plot and story through understandable events and reactions, the characters stated obvious or unasked-for details to each other. Couldnt get into it.
On the plus side, it talked a little about some ideas about evolution and intelligent design in a somewhat creative way, but even this was washed out by laz...more
Magiccats
Absolutely loved this book. One of the best mystery, action adventure novels I have read. The author pulled me in with his mystery of the Bell and the quantum theory behind the experiments. The characters were genuine with all their strengths and weaknesses. Just a thoroughly enjoyable book.
Jupiter9 Schmitz
A basic potboiler.

The kind where every sentence is a new paragraph.

Because it fills up the pages. And sounds emphatic.

But it's supposed to involve Nazis, science and "quantum mechanics." I can't wait to see how they do it.

Updated to say I don't even remember if I finished the book.
Janey
Really enjoyed this book and the 3 different story arcs set in South Africa, Denmark and the Himalayas and how it all came together at the end of the book. Looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
Sharon
What would you expect from James Rollins, but another exiting thrill-ride. It was great to revisit Painter Crowe, Gray Pierce, Monk and Kat - and none of these characters disappointed. As usual, there was nonstop adventure all over the world, as well as a few surprises toward the end. My only complaint is that it's quite a feat juggling all the scenarios and the ample major/minor characters. A little harder than usual this time (hence the four stars) but I managed, and by the book's end, was roo...more
Steve Opperman
James Rollins again delivers a terrific story spanning the full range of excitement, suspense, emotion,and all the other elements that go together to make a great novel. This story, however, takes some giant leaps in the realm of believable story lines. In his previous novels, Rollins made a point of sticking to the realm of the possible. This story leaps right out of the starting gate from the very first chapter, delving into the atrocities of the Nazi regime from World War II and brings it rig...more
Michelle♥
Dlora
Black Order is the third in the Sigma Force novels and I liked this one better than the last one. Again it is a blend of historical fact and science wrapped up in fast adventure and action. In this case the history follows the Nazis' technological race for discoveries to advance the war and to develop the perfect master race. After World War II, the Allies madly scrambled to possess Nazi research while the Nazis sought to destroy or hide it. Our fictional characters race from the Himalayas to So...more
Melody
Jul 30, 2008 Melody rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mature audience wanting non-stop action combined with quantum physics
Recommended to Melody by: my sister
I have for several years been interested in quantum physics and the double slit experiment. But I've never heard it put across the way James Rollins did in this book, Black Order.

This the second Sigma Force novel I have read. I think I am working backwards through the series, and I appreciate that he wrote them in such a way that I am able to do that.

I loved how he can draw you into sympathy with the characters in the story and how the people you think are the "bad guys" have hidden depths. The...more
Abigail
This book was good, a bit weird and far-fetched, but good.

My favourite thing about the book was that when a character spoke in German or Dutch, the author wrote out the German and the Dutch (with a translation or a paraphrase afterwards). It was a comforting sign that I understood all of the German and it was fun testing my Dutch skills (they're weak, in case you're wondering).

I was originally a bit annoyed that the book was about Germans and about the Nazis because the only reason Germans eve...more
Radostina
This is by far the best James Rollins book I've read so far. Demonstrating his impressive scope of vision and imagintion, he pulls together science, history and the occult into a plot that grabs you and holds you tight until the last page.

While I found some other books by this author quite readable but still sadly shallow and lacking feasibility, "Black Order" has no such flaw. The opening of the book takes place in post World War II Germany, which I think will hook many European readers as myse...more
N Mursidi
Mengungkap Warisan Terakhir Adolf hitler
Jurnal Nasional, Minggu 20 april 2008

Judul buku : Black Mission
Pengarang : James Rollins
Penerbit : Dastanbook, Jakarta
Cetakan : Pertama, Nov 2007
Tebal buku : 668 halaman

KEKALAHAN Jerman pada Perang Dunia II, ternyata tak menjadikan sekutu menyia-nyiakan warisan berharga Nazi seperti tanah, sumber daya, riset bahkan telnologi Jerman untuk dijarah. Tak salah, jika Inggris, Amerika, Prancis dan Rusia bersaing memperebutkan "warisan" tersebut. Meski sejumlah p...more
Kevin Rubin
Sort of a James Bond meets Angels and Demons thing here... But faster paced than either of them.

Some of this is straight from James Bond... We have the bad guys in their mountain fortress, including its own internal railway system. We have the hero at an auction for a rare item, although in this case it's his companion who, with nimble fingers, swaps the real item for a fake and tells the hero that if he'd won it "I would've said it was a fake".

Another scene right out of Star Wars. Our captured...more
Dipanjan
See the problem with a James Rollins novel is that you CANNOT slow read it. You cannot savor them over a longer period of time. And that is because, HE DOESN’T LET the pace drop!! He insists on racing you through his stories. With James Rollins, speed is the only stability.

It was so GODDAMN hard to slow read this book. It’s helter-skelter in every word, every sentence, every page. Himalayas to Copenhagen to Washington to South Africa. Jesus Christ. SLOW DOWN Mr. Rollins. For God’s sake!!

I can’t...more
Talentlesstroll
While I did enjoy the book, there are a few things that irked me. The main thing is the scientists not really knowing science. Dr. Lisa Cummings is a medical doctor, but she doesn't know about particle wave duality? You learn that in Gen Chemistry. There's no way she wouldn't have known about it. I'll give the benefit of the doubt that it was a way to explain it to the reader, but it really killed a bit of the immersion in my opinion.

While Gray is starting to grow on me, he's just not as cool a...more
Barbara ★
Gray and Monk are in Copenhagen working on a minor US DARPA mission involving an international auction where very important WWII German scientist documents are being scooped up by one group. Something goes wrong and Gray and Monk are basically chased out of town and following a lead end up in Germany.

Painter and Lisa are in Nepal. Painter is the head of SIGMA's DARPA group and is investigating strange happenings and mysterious deaths. Lisa is a doctor who basically gets kidnapped off Mt Everest...more
Donna
I really enjoy the "24 hours to save the world" type of adventure story. And James Rollins does them very well, plenty of danger and suspense, and this one has Nazis!!
Sigma Force are back in action, with Gray Pierce investigating who is buying up old books at European auctions, one of which is a Bible owned by Charles Darwin. Meanwhile Painter Crowe is in the Himalayas after a cry for help from a monastery high up in the mountains where monks and nearby villagers are dying of a mystery illness....more
Cody Ray
Charity
I wrote in another review THE LAST ORACLE how I discovered the Sigma force books. I loved every second of this book. Fast paced and it sucks you right in until the end, and at the end, your left hanging a bit for the next book. There are almost 3 stories in one here that all come together at the end. I like books like this because they're a bit like a soap opera. You go from one story to "...mean while back at the ranch..." and then they all tie together. Excellent Read!
Rainer Süss
3 stars for a decent read, 1 star for sloppy research. I mean, you know what you get when you read a Rollins book. Fast-paced action/adventure, wacky science. I don’t read his books for stark realism; at some stage his plots go over the top. I can live with that. It’s escapism I’m after. What I struggle with though is sloppiness. His depiction of post-’94 South Africa is laughable. And then you have crooks running around speaking and shouting in Dutch; Dutchmen that belongs to a company that has...more
Haley
I enjoyed this book. If I had seen this book in a bookstore, I might have put it back on the shelf, dismissing it as a "man novel" (a tad chauvinistic, I know, but hey, I might as well be honest). This book was on the required reading list for the book club that I'm a part of, and I was pleasantly surprised at how engrossed I became in this world. In the mystery/thrillers that I do read, there tend to be one or two main characters, with a few likeable supporting characters peppered in for flavor...more
What order? 2 22 Aug 17, 2013 05:31PM
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • The Cult Of Osiris (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #5)
  • The Venetian Betrayal (Cotton Malone, #3)
  • Scarecrow (Shane Schofield, #3)
  • Crusader Gold (Jack Howard, #2)
  • Legend (Event Group Adventure, #2)
  • The Shadow Project (Ben Hope, #5)
  • The Vault (Tyler Locke, #2)
JAMES ROLLINS is the New York Times bestselling author of international thrillers that have been translated into more than forty languages. Known for unveiling unseen worlds, scientific breakthroughs, and historical secrets, Rollins' knack for breakneck pacing and stunning originality has been hailed by critics and embraced by scores of millions of readers around the world.
More about James Rollins...
Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2) The Last Oracle (Sigma Force, #5) Sandstorm (Sigma Force, #1) The Judas Strain (Sigma Force, #4) Amazonia

“Often-times it's madness, not genius that moves the world forward. Who else but the mad would reach so far, stretching for the impossible and, in so doing, prove the impossible possible!” 39 likes
“Wringin' your hands only stops you from rollin' up your sleeves.” 15 likes