Start by marking “Captive of the Labyrinth: Sarah L. Winchester, Heiress to the Rifle Fortune” as Want to Read:
Captive of the Labyrinth: Sarah L. Winchester, Heiress to the Rifle Fortune

Captive of the Labyrinth: Sarah L. Winchester, Heiress to the Rifle Fortune

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  17 reviews

Since her death in 1922, Sarah Winchester has been perceived as a mysterious, haunted figure. After inheriting a vast fortune upon the death of her husband in 1881, Sarah purchased a simple farmhouse in San José, California. She began building additions to the house and continued construction on it for the next twenty years. A hostile press cast Sarah as the conscience of
Published December 6th 2010 by University of Missouri (first published October 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Captive of the Labyrinth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captive of the Labyrinth

Captive of the Labyrinth by Mary Jo IgnoffoThe Inscrutable Mrs. Winchester and Her Mysterious Mansion by Lisa L. SelbyWinchester Mystery House by Cynthia AndersonLady of Mystery by Ralph RamboThere Is No Lovely End by Patty Templeton
Sarah Winchester Books
1st out of 6 books — 1 voter
Lost City Radio by Daniel AlarcónTraffic by Tom VanderbiltWild Ones by Jon MooallemNo Nails, No Lumber by Jeffrey HeadAll the Buildings in New York by James Gulliver Hancock
99% Invisible books
57th out of 59 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Meg
Very detailed historical account of the life and doings of Sarah Winchester. It focused so much on portraying Winchester in an accurate light (i.e. she was NOT a haunted, crazy, spiritualist) that I found myself longing for the excitement and mystery of the embellished modern day perception of the matron of the Winchester "Mystery House." I suppose I don't need the myth of the woman as much as I crave more details and photos of the actual house and its construction. Ignoffo seemed to want to deb ...more
Mairi
Well then.

Let's try this: Think about everything you know about Sarah Winchester. Good.

Now, think about everything you know about Britney Spears, Oprah Winfrey, Hillary Clinton, Princess Di, any other woman in the public eye. How much of it that did not come from their own words do you believe? Better: How much of it that did not come from their own words do you trust?

I found it a bit dry at times but enjoyed it nonetheless. Sarah Winchester was not the unhinged obsessive that the popular narr
Robin
It is so rare to find anyone challenging the accepted view of things, that I delighted in the very idea of a writer/researcher asking "how do you know that?" and going right to primary sources. I celebrated when she discovered that the treasure trove of a crazy old widow's papers where not lost to time (or worse, non-existent) but in the hands of her attorney. No one had bothered to look.
At the base, this is simply a thoroughly good biography. Where Ignoffo consistently debunks the haziest of my
Mary
I grew up just miles from The Winchester Mystery House, totally accepting the local lore of Sarah Winchester being a crazy old bat. I loved learning the truth about the quirky house, the history of the Santa Clara valley, and how the negative public perception of Sarah Winchester came about. Sarah was well-loved and respected by those in her inner circle, as well as her employees. She was a generous philanthropist and savvy business woman. All of the reports of her superstitions and spiritualism ...more
Marie Everett
This seemed dry as dust to me. It was basically a long winded account of her life from birth to grave with no real substance in between. The author spent so much time telling us why the Winchester legacy is not supernatural, that any romance, mystery or awe of Sarah's house is snuffed out. I was highly disappointed.
Meg
I have visited the Winchester House and found this book interesting in parts. Sometimes the author got too bogged down with too much family history and repeating facts that were already stated. There were some interesting facts about Stanford University and the real personality of Sarah Winchester.
Arianna
I found this book to be quite informative about Sarah "Sallie" Winchester and the Winchester House. It told interesting facts that are not told in great detail anywhere else. This helped me a lot for my research, so I would recommend this to people who want to know more about the Winchester House or Sarah Winchester for a research project. I would also recommend this to people who like knowing about history or like knowing about landmarks. I do not recommend this book to anyone that is young and ...more
Linda Hooper
Everything you know about Sarah Winchester is wrong.
Ignoffo's book is a great example of how local history should be done. Some readers have criticized the book for being repetitive, but it is obvious that the chapters have been published separately as journal articles. I appreciate how each chapter stands alone, and explores different themes, although they progress temporally. There were many widows living in the SF Bay area at the turn of the century in huge Victorian Mansions. Most of them w
Juli Cady Ryan
Got this book because I was fascinated by the Winchester house, but once I began the book I realized Sarah herself was the more fascinating of the two! Enjoyed reading about her life and the times she lived in.
Mj
Apr 28, 2011 Mj added it
This book caught my attention at our midwest city library. I had visited the Winchester house while on vacation years ago with my sister because she had heard of the unusual structure. This compilation of facts and stories was interesting and informative about the history of New Haven and the California areas where Sarah Winchester lived. Thank you to the author and all who contributed to give a factual accounting of a woman who made a difference in the lives of many people.
Teresa
Fascinating. I've loved the Winchester Mystery House all my life, and this book exposed the real truth behind the enchanting but misleading legend. The real Sarah Winchester was an intriguing local figure in her own right. If you've ever visited the house, it's time to treat yourself to the truth.
Babs
I stuck with this book to the bitter end afraid I might miss something. I guess I was hoping for a more personal look at Sarah Winchester, but after reading this account I realized her desire was to be anonymous for her own reasons.
Mary Ignoffo gave such an accounting of her life it left no room for the mysterious rumors that surrounded her up to her death in 1922 and on into our present day.
Candace
Jun 05, 2011 Candace rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Katy Little, Amelia Mugele
A little academic in tone, it was good to hear the truth of Sarah Winchester. I think if I ever went to see the house, which I would like to for the architecture, I would want to set the record straight. Unfortunately, Mrs. Winchester couldn't set the record straight when she was alive.
Sherilyn
I really enjoyed this biography on the woman who inherited the Winchester gun fortune. The first half of the book describes the history of the rifle...the second half covers her life after the death of her husband and what she did with all the money.
Sensibly Sassy

17 book of 2012

This book not only shed some light on the real Sarah Winchester but it also educated me on the early days of California and the big players of that time (think James Lick and the Stanford family)
Good biography of Sarah Winchester. Dispelled many of the myths surrounding Sarah and the Winchester Mystery House. Having been fascinated with the house since I was a kid I'm not sure I like that, but interesting nonetheless.
ninamo
Thoroughly researched and fascinating.
Keri West
Keri West marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Jenna Gurka
Jenna Gurka marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Lindsay Mertes
Lindsay Mertes marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Sara
Sara added it
Jul 17, 2015
Caleb Coy
Caleb Coy marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Joan
Joan is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2015
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
trina
trina marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Lathis
Lathis marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Elspeth G. Perkin
Elspeth G. Perkin marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Roxanne
Roxanne marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Mary Jo Ignoffo, author of Captive of the Labyrinth: Sarah L. Winchester, Heiress to the Rifle Fortune, available from the University of Missouri Press, is a historian committed to reaching beyond academia to present history to the public through exhibits, books, articles, lectures and forums.

The Chicago-born, Los Angeles-raised, longtime resident of the San Francisco Bay Area has spent much of th
More about Mary Jo Ignoffo...
Milestones: A History Of Mountain View, California Sunnyvale: From the City of Destiny to the Heart of the Silicon Valley (Local History Studies : Vol 35) Gold Rush Politics: California's First Legislature A Meeting of the Minds: A Retrospective of the to Kalon Club of San Jose, California, 1903-2003 La Verdad: A Witness to the Salvadoran Martyrs