Captive of the Labyrinth: Sarah L. Winchester, Heiress to the Rifle Fortune

Captive of the Labyrinth: Sarah L. Winchester, Heiress to the Rifle Fortune

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  12 reviews

Since her death in 1922, Sarah Winchester has been perceived as a mysterious, haunted figure. After inheriting a vast fortune upon the death of her husband in 1881, Sarah purchased a simple farmhouse in San José, California. She began building additions to the house and continued construction on it for the next twenty years. A hostile press cast Sarah as the conscience of...more
Published December 6th 2010 by University of Missouri (first published October 30th 2010)

Meg
Very detailed historical account of the life and doings of Sarah Winchester. It focused so much on portraying Winchester in an accurate light (i.e. she was NOT a haunted, crazy, spiritualist) that I found myself longing for the excitement and mystery of the embellished modern day perception of the matron of the Winchester "Mystery House." I suppose I don't need the myth of the woman as much as I crave more details and photos of the actual house and its construction. Ignoffo seemed to want to deb...more
Mairi
Well then.

Let's try this: Think about everything you know about Sarah Winchester. Good.

Now, think about everything you know about Britney Spears, Oprah Winfrey, Hillary Clinton, Princess Di, any other woman in the public eye. How much of it that did not come from their own words do you believe? Better: How much of it that did not come from their own words do you trust?

I found it a bit dry at times but enjoyed it nonetheless. Sarah Winchester was not the unhinged obsessive that the popular narr...more
Mary
I grew up just miles from The Winchester Mystery House, totally accepting the local lore of Sarah Winchester being a crazy old bat. I loved learning the truth about the quirky house, the history of the Santa Clara valley, and how the negative public perception of Sarah Winchester came about. Sarah was well-loved and respected by those in her inner circle, as well as her employees. She was a generous philanthropist and savvy business woman. All of the reports of her superstitions and spiritualism...more
Marie Everett
This seemed dry as dust to me. It was basically a long winded account of her life from birth to grave with no real substance in between. The author spent so much time telling us why the Winchester legacy is not supernatural, that any romance, mystery or awe of Sarah's house is snuffed out. I was highly disappointed.
Arianna
I found this book to be quite informative about Sarah "Sallie" Winchester and the Winchester House. It told interesting facts that are not told in great detail anywhere else. This helped me a lot for my research, so I would recommend this to people who want to know more about the Winchester House or Sarah Winchester for a research project. I would also recommend this to people who like knowing about history or like knowing about landmarks. I do not recommend this book to anyone that is young and...more
Linda Rosewood
Everything you know about Sarah Winchester is wrong.
Ignoffo's book is a great example of how local history should be done. Some readers have criticized the book for being repetitive, but it is obvious that the chapters have been published separately as journal articles. I appreciate how each chapter stands alone, and explores different themes, although they progress temporally. There were many widows living in the SF Bay area at the turn of the century in huge Victorian Mansions. Most of them w...more
Mj
Apr 28, 2011 Mj added it
This book caught my attention at our midwest city library. I had visited the Winchester house while on vacation years ago with my sister because she had heard of the unusual structure. This compilation of facts and stories was interesting and informative about the history of New Haven and the California areas where Sarah Winchester lived. Thank you to the author and all who contributed to give a factual accounting of a woman who made a difference in the lives of many people.
Babs
I stuck with this book to the bitter end afraid I might miss something. I guess I was hoping for a more personal look at Sarah Winchester, but after reading this account I realized her desire was to be anonymous for her own reasons.
Mary Ignoffo gave such an accounting of her life it left no room for the mysterious rumors that surrounded her up to her death in 1922 and on into our present day.
Candace
Jun 05, 2011 Candace rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Katy Little, Amelia Mugele
A little academic in tone, it was good to hear the truth of Sarah Winchester. I think if I ever went to see the house, which I would like to for the architecture, I would want to set the record straight. Unfortunately, Mrs. Winchester couldn't set the record straight when she was alive.
Sherilyn
I really enjoyed this biography on the woman who inherited the Winchester gun fortune. The first half of the book describes the history of the rifle...the second half covers her life after the death of her husband and what she did with all the money.
Sensibly Sassy

17 book of 2012

This book not only shed some light on the real Sarah Winchester but it also educated me on the early days of California and the big players of that time (think James Lick and the Stanford family)
ninamo
Thoroughly researched and fascinating.
Juli Cady Ryan
Juli Cady Ryan is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Apr 04, 2014
Vicki Zahn
Vicki Zahn marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Hoosier
Hoosier marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Stacy
Stacy added it
Feb 17, 2014
Mandy Payne
Mandy Payne marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Cesar Bedolla
Cesar Bedolla marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Sallee
Sallee marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Felicia Velia
Felicia Velia marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Ashley Newton
Ashley Newton marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Mary Jo Ignoffo, author of Captive of the Labyrinth: Sarah L. Winchester, Heiress to the Rifle Fortune, available from the University of Missouri Press, is a historian committed to reaching beyond academia to present history to the public through exhibits, books, articles, lectures and forums.

The Chicago-born, Los Angeles-raised, longtime resident of the San Francisco Bay Area has spent much of th...more
More about Mary Ignoffo...