Start by marking “Romanus (Midsummer's Nightmare)” as Want to Read:
Romanus (Midsummer's Nightmare)

Romanus (Romanus #1)

3.53  ·  Rating Details ·  1,350 Ratings  ·  147 Reviews
Stopping to offer help one sultry summer night, Mason James is unprepared for the change that this simple act of kindness will bring. After giving an old man a ride home, Mason discovers a new, magical, and even dangerous world he cannot hope to understand. But he also finds Luc Toussaint and is intoxicated at first sight... and even the secret Luc protects won't be enough ...more
Published June 26th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press (first published June 1st 2010)

SheReadsALot
Audiobook Review - 3.75 Hearts--Well hello Mr. Greg Tremblay!

I've read so many testaments that this narrator is one of the elite. And being an audiobook neophyte, I didn't pay attention much. I didn't know.

I figured why not try this narrator out with a book I've already read and written by an author I enjoy.

Tremblay made the book an even better experience.

This is gargoyles, Calmes style! And she even followed up with a new story, Chevalier this year. (Which I definitely will be reading)

To be
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Might contain spoilers*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Mason “Mace' James and Luc Toussaint met, and Mace is totally mesmerized by the man. He can't stop looking. Even though he's so tired he could fall asleep standing, he just want to look at Luc. Luc's not human, he's a goji—gargoyle, and apparently Mace has goji blood in him and he is a Romanus (a seer). Overall, the story is a story of insta-love and apparently not freaking out when it turns out your lover is a gargoyle — Mace just smiled. Alrighty then. I f
Jenni Lea

Still 3.5 stars but this time I'm rounding up instead of down.

Because reasons.

*****************************

Susan
Aug 14, 2016 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shifters, mm
The perfect narration of Greg Tremblay was the only reason I didn’t DNF this one.

I can do shifter stories, but this gargoyle story was confusing and just plain weird.

Firefighter Mason encounters a naked old man in the streets. He gets the man to get into his truck and takes him home. He gets taken to a house in a clearing, where it seems like a bunch of naked people are sitting around a bonfire.

The people there are acting very strange and the only reason Mason stays is because he is struck by t
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
3.5 to 4 stars.

I enjoyed the story and really Liked Mason and Luc all though it was also really confusing for a lot of it, to me other people might understand the paranormal aspect better than I did.

I do not understand how Mason could possibly continue to be friends with Eli after Eli sleeps with all of Mason's dates and then just walks into Mason's room and starts touching his date while the date is sleeping naked in mason's bed.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Jun 27, 2015 Jennifer☠Pher☠ rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Of course, as is normal with a Mary book, not nearly enough. I always want more.

This just wrapped up way too quickly for my liking. There is the potential for so much more story! I need more story!

Looks like in May 2016 I will get my wish. Thank goodness!

I love, love, love gargoyles and can't wait to dig more into this world.

Amy
May 24, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***Audiobook***Narrated by Greg Tremblay***Very interesting. Not my normal read. My first gargoyles, in fact. I will definitely read or listen to the sequel. I need to know what happens with Mace and Luc!
BWT (Belen)
Belens Audio Book Review

Greg Tremblay gives such good audio. *sighs*

When firefighter Mason "Mace" James stops to help a naked old man on the side of the road one late night he doesn't expect his good Samaritan duty to change his life forever. Coming off a double shift, he's exhausted and the strange people and sights when he returns the old man home are just plain weird. When he ends up agreeing to stay the night, it's mainly because he meets Luc Toussaint and is intoxicated at first sight.

When things get a little more
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
As much as I adore Mary Calmes, I've come to the conclusion that her paranormal isn't for me. No rating.
Serena Yates
Jan 27, 2016 Serena Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, shifters
A new, magical, and even dangerous world discovered by hunky, kindhearted firefighter Mason? Sign me up! This story starts harmlessly enough, not a trace of the supernatural. It sucked me in, curious for the “big reveal” Mason was about to unearth, but what I got instead was a most delicious gradual unveiling with small mystery after small mystery pointing in the direction of “something is going on here” – but no clarity about the details until almost the last possible moment. Masterfully done!

M
Bookwatcher
The plot

Mason James, a firemen, in the middle of the night, going back home after work see a naked and frightened old guy running
He stop, help him, and taking him home (the old guy point a direction, and Mason take him there) will be stunned by his "friends", almost all naked. There he will know Luc Toussaint, a incredible gorgeous guy that seems not be very certain about how much he is handsome, and why Mason like him so much.

I'll not spoil telling what Luc and all his friends are. The myst
Serena Yates
Jun 26, 2010 Serena Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
I really liked this unexpected story of riddles. I was glued to the pages as I followed Mace in his discovery who the people really are that he accidentally ran into when he saved an old man from being run over on a road. Luc is a bit of a mystery at first, though his attraction to Mace isn't. I would love to find out more about those two. The world building and sense of background history let me hope for a sequel.
MishyJo
Oct 12, 2016 MishyJo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty close to 5 stars.

Why the hell hadn't I ever heard of this book before? It was just what I needed. Short but complete and HOT as hell. Greg Tremblay, as always, gave a near flawless performance.
Makhda
Re- read. Before getting into the next book. Because I'm forgetful like that.

This is gargoyle shifter story. Very original. Not like I have ever read before. I really liked the chemistry between them. If it's PNR, I welcome insta-love all the way. Yum!
Jason Bradley
Jun 01, 2010 Jason Bradley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, ebook, horror, a-list
This was a great read!
Maya
Oct 18, 2010 Maya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiodick
Audible Edition
Camille
Mary, you know...
Meggie
I'm so glad this series continues on, I mean AMAZING!!
I had a pleasure to enjoy this novella in an audiobook edition, YAY!
Great short work!! Recommended series

2011/December/13 - 4 star rating
Damn this story is definitely to short. Even if I'm re-reading it two or three times, I feel the same. Why was it so short? I want more, more, more from this plotted world.
Seriously now, I really liked this story. It was short, sure, but really good. The plot was comical and animalistic, if we consider th
CrabbyPatty
Well ...... that was ........ different. Didn't do it for me, although it appears that everyone else liked it. To each his own .....
V
Jun 24, 2016 V rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one weird story
Sara

I’m just going to take a few minutes to stare at this cover. Now that I’ve read the book and get it, this cover is gorgeous.

Romanus was a crazy kinda read and it being Mary Calmes it was extra crazy but if you are like me, all that means is this book was ridiculously fun.

Told from the POV of Fireman Mason James, we meet him as he helps an old man on the road. As Mason draws near the mans home, he meets a group of folk who like to run around in their birthday suits but insist they aren’t naked. O
The Novel Approach Reviews
Well, there is a lot of information packed into this one hour and fifty-seven minutes. It was hard to keep up, so I ended up buying the eBook just so I could keep my facts straight.

Having said that, I have to say I loved the story. It was sexy, dark and raw. The scene between Mason and Luc were very intense, hold your breath intense. A favorite part of the book, besides the sex scenes, was when Luc said to Mason, “You astound me. You have joined with a beast,” and then goes on to say, “By joinin
❂ Endless
Apr 28, 2011 ❂ Endless rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotic-m-m
I think after reading Change of Heart, Trusted Bond, The Warder series and this one i've got the Mary Calmes formula down pat!

Everyone is drawn to the main character unconditionally in the book and the MC goes through a whole lot of physical torture or is short on sleep/exhausted... The 2 MCs persistently explain that they are disease free and insist on showing "the paper" to prove it...before they engage in unprotected sex. The MC's boyfriend or partner-to-be is nothing short of drop dead gorge
Jacq
Apr 03, 2012 Jacq rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG This love story was wicked funny and totally fun... Loved it! I am soooooo ready to read it again.
Tj
Oct 05, 2010 Tj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
A sweet story. Not very deep but that could be because of the length. I enjoyed the story and the twist on the shifters. I loved the idea of gargoyle shifters:) I really hope there is a follow up since there seems to be a lot left to be said and revealed.
Melanie
Dec 02, 2013 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, shifters-other
Oh this was different, I really enjoyed it. I would love something a little longer, never read Gargoyles before.
Susan65
May 02, 2016 Susan65 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, that was...different. But still interesting enough that I am moving onto book two.
Lila Hunter
The story starts right into the action described in the blurb. We get Mason finding the old man–Fabron–and giving him a ride home when the man refuses to get to the hospital. For some reason, Mason doesn’t consider the man’s hands curled into claws, growls, and the change in his eyes strange.

By the time they made it to the man’s house, Mason is fighting with sleep since he just finished a double shift as a firefighter. Everyone at the house seems to recognized Mason as a Romanus, but the reader
Phaney
May 09, 2013 Phaney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Not terribly deep or complex; then again it’s a story that feels shorter than it is. To enjoy this it’s also important to remember not to take anything too seriously.

I’m not sure exactly why, but Mace being so shy about other people’s nudity amuses me.

Mace’s reaction (when he finally “sees”) is funny as hell. It might be more than unlikely but I just love the way he’s entirely unfazed. It’s entertaining, particularly the way he abbreviates the entire story by filling in all the usual elements on
  • Creature Feature (Creature Feature #1)
  • A Brush of Wings
  • A Boy and His Dragon (Beings in Love #2)
  • Three Fates
  • Covenant in Blood (Partnership in Blood, #2)
  • Adel's Purr (Elements of Love, #1)
  • Shy Cowboy (Uncommon Cowboys, #3)
  • Heart's Home
  • Infected: Bloodlines (Infected, #2)
  • Chaos Magic (Gods and Chaos, #1)
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords Book 2)
  • Blood Signs (Blood, Moon and Sun #1)
  • The Last Bite
  • Twin Flames (Sumeria's Sons, #1)
  • Cursed (Cursed #1)
  • Apocalypse (Wolfman #1)
  • Crying For The Moon
  • Skin Deep (Fae, #1)
Mary Calmes believes in romance, happily ever afters, and the faith it takes for her characters to get there. She bleeds coffee, thinks chocolate should be its own food group, and currently lives in Kentucky with a five-pound furry ninja that protects her from baby birds, spiders and the neighbor’s dogs. To stay up to date on her ponderings and pandemonium (as well as the adventures of the ninja) ...more
More about Mary Calmes...

Romanus (2 books)
  • Chevalier (Romanus, #2)