Start by marking “Romanus” as Want to Read:
Romanus

Romanus (Midsummer's Nightmare)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  822 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Stopping to offer help one sultry summer night, Mason James is unprepared for the change that this simple act of kindness will bring. After giving an old man a ride home, Mason discovers a new, magical, and even dangerous world he cannot hope to understand. But he also finds Luc Toussaint and is intoxicated at first sight... and even the secret Luc protects won't be enough ...more
Published June 26th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press (first published June 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Romanus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Romanus

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
3.5 to 4 stars.

I enjoyed the story and really Liked Mason and Luc all though it was also really confusing for a lot of it, to me other people might understand the paranormal aspect better than I did.

I do not understand how Mason could possibly continue to be friends with Eli after Eli sleeps with all of Mason's dates and then just walks into Mason's room and starts touching his date while the date is sleeping naked in mason's bed.
Bookwatcher
The plot

Mason James, a firemen, in the middle of the night, going back home after work see a naked and frightened old guy running
He stop, help him, and taking him home (the old guy point a direction, and Mason take him there) will be stunned by his "friends", almost all naked. There he will know Luc Toussaint, a incredible gorgeous guy that seems not be very certain about how much he is handsome, and why Mason like him so much.

I'll not spoil telling what Luc and all his friends are. The myst
Serena Yates
I really liked this unexpected story of riddles. I was glued to the pages as I followed Mace in his discovery who the people really are that he accidentally ran into when he saved an old man from being run over on a road. Luc is a bit of a mystery at first, though his attraction to Mace isn't. I would love to find out more about those two. The world building and sense of background history let me hope for a sequel.
Meggie
Damn this story is definitely to short. Even if I'm re-reading it two or three times, I feel the same. Why was it so short? I want more, more, more from this plotted world. Seriously now, I really liked this story. It was short, sure, but really good. The plot was comical and animalistic, if we consider the sex. I Hope someday we will get some new stories from this plotted world.
❂ Endless
I think after reading Change of Heart, Trusted Bond, The Warder series and this one i've got the Mary Calmes formula down pat!

Everyone is drawn to the main character unconditionally in the book and the MC goes through a whole lot of physical torture or is short on sleep/exhausted... The 2 MCs persistently explain that they are disease free and insist on showing "the paper" to prove it...before they engage in unprotected sex. The MC's boyfriend or partner-to-be is nothing short of drop dead gorge
SheReadsALot
THREE & A HALF STARS-- *smacks lips*

Just what I needed, a solid paranormal Mary Calmes story featuring a sexy alpha gargoyle named Luc and an average main character named Mason. I felt the length hindered the quality of the story...it felt rushed at times. The ending left me wanting more and I enjoyed the gargoyle mythology introduced.

This author seriously has the gift of creating characters you just want more of or secondary characters you wish to have their own book too.

I really liked Mas
Tj
A sweet story. Not very deep but that could be because of the length. I enjoyed the story and the twist on the shifters. I loved the idea of gargoyle shifters:) I really hope there is a follow up since there seems to be a lot left to be said and revealed.
Melanie
Oh this was different, I really enjoyed it. I would love something a little longer, never read Gargoyles before.
Maya
A very good story that could have been great if it were about 50 pages longer.
Phaney
Not terribly deep or complex; then again it’s a story that feels shorter than it is. To enjoy this it’s also important to remember not to take anything too seriously.

I’m not sure exactly why, but Mace being so shy about other people’s nudity amuses me.

Mace’s reaction (when he finally “sees”) is funny as hell. It might be more than unlikely but I just love the way he’s entirely unfazed. It’s entertaining, particularly the way he abbreviates the entire story by filling in all the usual elements on
Gwengwel
Jimmy Hanson
A unique take on things, yes, but a bit shallow in the execution. The whole idea of a Romanus - and Mason's reaction to it and what all it meant - wasn't explained very well, more kind of rushed over. And Luc's sudden connection to him, sudden almost-devotion, is a bit off-setting. Not much conflict there, when I expected there to be at least a little given their different natures.

I still am aggravated by Luc's insistance that he's ugly and unworthy of attentions or love. I wanted to knock him a
Elizabetta

Mason: “Are you gay?”
Luc: “The word is trite--I love who I please.”

Oh, yeah.

What has Mason James stumbled upon? This remote enclave of people, living isolated, by their own rules, out in the woods. Mysterious and kinda off… some of them don’t think it odd at all to wander around naked.

Again, it’s about the meet-up. Calmes does it so well. When Mason and Luc lock eyes for the first time, they only see each other. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Hot.

But, clenching channels and flut
Gail
A very entertaining story about a man who gives someone a ride home late at night, and the whole thing becomes a very surreal experience. It was quite enjoyable, wasn't predictable, and my only complaint is that it was too short--I wanted more.
Jacqueline
OMG This love story was wicked funny and totally fun... Loved it! I am soooooo ready to read it again.
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
I adored this story. Mason and Luc have just made it onto my Top 5 Cutest Couples list. Sequel, please.

❧Gwen❤❦
Cute fluffy, read, that offer's bits of chuckles ❤
Ana
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

Mace is a firefighter, who after a double shift is on his way home when he almost runs over an old man wandering in the middle of the Kentucky mountain road. After stopping and getting the man into his truck to get to help, he can't help but notice that something about the old man isn't quite right, and against his better judgement allows the old man to insist he be taken home instead of the hospital. When he finds the place the old man says he lives, it seem
Jj Nightsong
Cover - really quite good in terms of artistry, and evocative of the idea.

MC's - Mason (call me Mace) - a firefighter. Luc - is it a spoiler to say he's a gargoyle, given the cover image? POV is Mason's third person.

This story was too short, and gave the impression that it was written in a hurry, to fully realize the unique paranormal world Calmes was trying to build.

Too many confusing elements left me unsatisfied, but the biggest problem I had was when Mace found out what Luc was, when he saw h
Brett
Jaime
I think what attracts me most to this author is her original world-building. In Chang of Heart, it was cats. And it was not just cats as placeholders for the more common werewolves. She built a unique society with laws, rules of etiquette and a social hierarchy. It was imaginative and fun, and gave the underlying gay romance a lot of depth. Here we have another unique shifter race, and the hint of another such original society. It is only a hint because this is a novella, not a novel.

When Mason
Joanna
This was really cute. I love love Mason so much and his so what attitude and Luc...is just Luc. The only reason why it is not a full 5 is that I feel like there could have been more building up ne on the relationship. I don't it was a bit sudden. I don't mind...but I would have love it if they didn't go straight to being horny. Besides that I really liked it.

Those two are precious.
Grace Duncan
I adored these two. I really like the idea of a gargoyle shifter instead of the typical wolf (though Mary has certainly showed she doesn't stick to anything typical with her shifters). The only thing I can say is that I wanted more. I would have liked to see their relationship go a bit further until Luc got what he really wanted (not going to spoil).

Erichae
I have a bone to pick with Calmes, this is treason. The story was so perfectly set up, the plot had so much to offer and she completely dismissed it. It doesn't deserve a 2 based on context, but it is just too short, it is like 1/8 of the length it should be, nothing was explained, no elaboration, no building of characters, NOTHING. It was like reading a plot diagram. Honestly, I think she needs to have a ghost writer, because she can only offer plots, but lacks talent in writing stories. Honest ...more
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
2.95

I didn't quite enjoy this as much as I have her other works, however it was a relatively sweet and mindless read.

At first I found the whole concept very confusing, but it also helped me to connect with the main character, who also had no idea. I very much like how we learnt this new world that was being introduced to the main character at the same time and pace that he did.

Though I liked these very strange world that was introduced, I felt that the storyline itself was lacking, so I assume t
L-D
About 2.5 stars

Mason James is a firefighter coming off a double shift. He is almost too tired to stop for the old man he sees doddering across the road, but his good Samaritan instincts kick in and he takes the man home. What he discovers turns his world upside down.

This was a cute short story but I think there were a few gaps and unanswered questions and the book lacked overall development. While the old man does introduce him to a new fantastical world, it's never really explained who the man
Amanda
I'm going with one star because honestly this is way too short. it almost reads like a story arc for a novel. the premise is quite good and deserved to be given more time and attention.
  • Mind Magic  (Triad, #1)
  • A Boy and His Dragon (Beings in Love #2)
  • A Brush of Wings
  • Ulrich (Highland Wolves, #1)
  • Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts (Claimings #1)
  • Lone
  • Litha's Constant Whim (Green's Hill, #1)
  • Skin Deep (Fae, #1)
  • Blood Howl (Sanguis Noctis, #1)
  • Apocalypse (Wolfman, #1)
  • Adel's Purr (Elements of Love, #1)
  • Crying For The Moon
  • Reparation in Blood (Partnership in Blood, #4)
  • The Wounds in the Walls
  • Levi (Leopard's Spots, #1)
  • Heart's Home
  • Cursed (Cursed #1)
  • Bloodlines (Infected, #2)
Mary Calmes lives in Lexington, Kentucky, with her husband and two children and loves all the seasons except summer. She graduated from the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California, with a bachelor's degree in English literature. Due to the fact that it is English lit and not English grammar, do not ask her to point out a clause for you, as it will so not happen. She loves writing, becomi ...more
More about Mary Calmes...
Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1) A Matter of Time (A Matter of Time #1) Timing (Timing, #1) Frog A Matter of Time (A Matter of Time #2)