Start by marking “Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement” as Want to Read:

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,232 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
This is a perfect resource for all educators seeking research on the best strategies for raising student achievement through classroom instruction. A guide for educators of students in K-12, readers will find a wealth of research evidence, statistical data, and case studies. Nine categories of instructional strategies that maximize student learning are introduced, along wi ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Prentice Hall (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Classroom Instruction That Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classroom Instruction That Works

My First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisTeach Like a Champion by Doug LemovEducating Esmé by Esmé Raji CodellThe First Days Of School by Harry K. WongSavage Inequalities by Jonathan Kozol
Books every teacher should read
67th out of 163 books — 177 voters
The Daily Five (Second Edition) by Gail BousheyClassroom Instruction That Works by Robert J. MarzanoNico How Do We Get There? by FingerprintsEngaging Students with Poverty in Mind by Eric JensenWhat High School Didn't Teach Me by Rajat Bhageria
An Ideal Classroom
2nd out of 24 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Yzobelle
Jun 08, 2011 Yzobelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
For a non-fiction book, this is truly enlightening and inspiring. It stirred up some of my dormant research ideas. Perfect timing!

This book emphasizes the need to support major decisions with factual data from careful study and research. It is written in a very light mood as if Robert Marzano is just conversing with me.
Michael Heneghan
Mar 11, 2014 Michael Heneghan rated it really liked it
This book is a prime candidate for 3.5 stars if it existed on here.

From bigwig Marzano and friends, this outlines nine different instructional techniques that have the heft of scientific research behind their effectiveness. Most are things that good teachers do already, like encourage note-taking or using visual organizers, but I, for one, like knowing that certain things work better than others, and that you should use what has the most bang for your buck.

A brief, convenient read for any busy t
Irene McHugh
Feb 22, 2012 Irene McHugh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Marzano" has been a buzz word in education for years now. Funny how we forget that he did his research with two women. Pickering and Pollock. Not that the ladies made the book any more interesting to read. This research is dry. If it wasn't helpful, I would have given up.

The nine research-based strategies highlighted in this book are effective, particularly for the educator artists who understand the nuances of the strategies, and push their own lesson planning to incorporate these approaches.
Jeri Walker
Apr 05, 2012 Jeri Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When it comes to the never-ending debate of how to reform our nation’s failing public school system, the most viable solution can be found in adopting research-based teaching strategies. Sounds simple, right? But it’s not an easy task when politicians, parents, administrators, and teachers can’t seem to agree on what it means to incorporate research-based strategies into the classroom.

One text that should be adopted in the school-reform movement is Classroom Instruction that Works by Marzano, P
C. Derick
Oct 03, 2015 C. Derick rated it really liked it
This book has had many editions and the most current one is not the Marzano, Pickering, and Pollock book. This review pertains only to this edition as I have not yet read the Ceri B. Dean, Elizabeth Ross Hubbell, and Howard Pitler revision of the book. While I have not always loved the direction the states have gone with Marzano's work, and some of the narrative about data-driven and research-based strategies overlooks that some of the research methodologies around "Best Practices" in education ...more
Gretchen
Apr 03, 2010 Gretchen rated it liked it
I really enjoyed reading some of the strategies and how they affect student learning immediately and over time. Some of the strategies are reminders some are newer.

One aspect I wish some educational books would take into consideration is subject area. Certain subject areas are easier to work with some of the strategies than others. Examples from the more difficult areas would have been more beneficial to me.
Valerie
Mar 13, 2010 Valerie rated it liked it
Recommended to Valerie by: NTP
I read this book for my New Teacher Project, like all books of this type 1 or 2 good ideas, cleverly hidden in a morass of stuff I already knew or suspected.
Quinton
Oct 01, 2014 Quinton rated it it was amazing
This is the most useful book I've ever read on teaching.

This book is full of practical, specific strategies on classroom instruction. It's not about how to run a classroom or how to deal with unruly students or any of that crazy stuff. It's just straight up how to design instructional content for maximum effectiveness. I'm not even a teacher, but I read this for fun and it's really interesting. I can see how you could use this even if you're not a teacher (e.g. if you have to give a presentation
Jessica
Feb 28, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teachers
Recommended to Jessica by: another teacher
Shelves: 2012, 2013
This book puts the RESEARCH in research-based teaching strategies. I would have just preferred the strategies though. If you're looking for more strategies, you may want to see A Handbook for Classroom Instruction That Works, which is a companion book to this one. Unfortunately, there was almost too much data given and made it harder to read. Overall, though, it had some great practical strategies that can easily be translated to the classroom. Obviously, Marzano knows his stuff.

If you are inter
Gretchen Mary
Jun 25, 2014 Gretchen Mary rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of ideas and instructional strategies that can be used in the classroom. It is a bit more difficult to read than some of the other straight forward books. Marzano explains the research in the book which is probably something I could have skipped. If you tell me it's research based I will take your word for it.
Fawn
Oct 16, 2011 Fawn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all educators
Recommended to Fawn by: The New Teacher Project
Marzano details 9 strategies that will engage students, differentiate learning, and help students retain knowledge. I found it an easy read, and yes, some of the 9 are common sense and simply remind us of some of the things we already know we should be doing. But if you currently teach, you need to read this, because more and more schools have adopted Marzano as the underlying source for their professional development and their evaluation of teacher performance. Therefore it is important to know ...more
Julie Connor
Apr 07, 2014 Julie Connor rated it really liked it
Marzano offers clear steps rooted in solid researched-based data and strategies that help teachers drive successful instruction in the classroom.
Mark Valentine
Mar 12, 2016 Mark Valentine rated it really liked it
I found this book invaluable as a research source and manual for instruction. It resides on my desktop for quick reference and support.
Nicole Marcelis klinger
Aug 09, 2014 Nicole Marcelis klinger rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love Marzano? This book is great. Marzano's name itself gives it the credit its due. Instrumental teaching theory.
Katherine Hebert
Jun 18, 2014 Katherine Hebert rated it really liked it
Probably my 10th time through. Always good, usable stuff.
Julie
Aug 10, 2009 Julie rated it liked it
Marzano and his co-authors go through 9 teaching strategies that have been proven to increase student learning (...as the title would imply). With each strategy, they talk a little bit about the research behind it, and then go into how to use it in the classroom. A lot of the strategies are things many teachers already do but it's nice to read about why they're effective and the little things to think about as you're using them. The book's a little dry at times but very informative.
Patrice
Dec 16, 2010 Patrice rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent resource. It details some teaching strategies that research supports as effective across all subject areas. For each strategy it gives background information and research on the strategy before discussing practical applications of that strategy in the classroom. This book will make an excellent addition to my library. I'm interested in other teaching materials by Marzano.
Norbert
Apr 28, 2011 Norbert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Truly awful. Much of the data was collected when I was in grade school. Half of the chapters were nothing more than lessons in the obvious (with aged research to back it up of course). There was next to nothing that I could utilize in either my teaching or apply to my philosophy of education. It was simply a colossal waste of time.
Whitney
Apr 16, 2008 Whitney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit I am a Marzano groupie when it comes to research based practices for the classroom. Marzano has done great research and has pulled together everything into a user friendly format. Everything in teaching can fit into his "9". If teachers don't know the "9", they should. It will only make them better for it.
Steve Bennett
Aug 26, 2013 Steve Bennett rated it liked it
Shelves: ebt
Supposed to be seminal but I found it difficult to be inspired by, Professor Hattie and Geoff Petty are more compelling authors. The message 'though is undeniable and an evidence based approach will eventually penetrate all tiers of education, won't it?
Devin
May 22, 2013 Devin rated it it was amazing
Awesome book for any educator, especially one that is just getting into the field (that's me!) Not only does Marzano give you great instructional strategies, but he breaks it down to specifics and then gives examples on how you can use it in your classroom!!
CMT325
Feb 16, 2010 CMT325 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graduate-school
This book presents nine strategies that all teachers should use in the classroom for the best possible results in teaching. We had a movie that went along with it, where the writers discussed several of these strategies in detail, so it was interesting.
Jen
Jan 04, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I can't say that this book provided any groundbreaking strategies that I'd never considered, but it did provide a gentle reminder of the variety of strategies that teachers need to employ in order to reach the maximum number of learners.
Suzanne
Feb 24, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Very helpful mix of theory and practice with excellent examples. Well written, easy to digest, easy to find information and refresh my memory. Highly recommend for any teacher wanting to improve their practice.
Sara
Mar 31, 2008 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for a Continuing Education class. It was filled with tons of different ideas that will help me in the classroom. I won't blog too much on this, but as a teacher I found it helpful and interesting.
Colin Kemmis
Really great. Pretty much all the proven teaching practices and why we use them. Some new stuff I didn't know too. I can't wait for them to figure out more specific stuff for my age/stage of teaching.
Liz
Jan 20, 2009 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
The book is a little dry as it is all research-based. It is, however, a powerful reinforcer of those strategies we're already using and a refresher for those we should be using more.
Marsha Jones
Apr 22, 2010 Marsha Jones rated it it was amazing
This meta-analysis reminds us of the incredible increases we will see if teachers use these strategies on a daily basis. The percentile gains are what keep me coming back for more!!
Carole
Oct 31, 2010 Carole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for a book study for graduate credit. Since it's based on meta-analysis of research (the study of studies), it's shallow on information and deep in absolutes.
Siobhan
Jul 10, 2011 Siobhan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teacher-books
Nothing terribly special, but good reminders of what good teaching is. Beware the teacher who considers this groundbreaking- they probably are new, naive, or out of touch.
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • Differentiated Classroom: Responding to the Need of All Learners
  • Understanding by Design
  • Do I Really Have to Teach Reading?: Content Comprehension, Grades 6-12
  • Words, Words, Words: Teaching Vocabulary in Grades 4-12
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • When Kids Can't Read-What Teachers Can Do: A Guide for Teachers 6-12
  • Deeper Reading: Comprehending Challenging Texts, 4-12
  • Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most
  • Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning
  • Whatever It Takes: How Professional Learning Communities Respond When Kids Don't Learn
  • In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning
  • Teaching with the Brain in Mind
  • Understanding by Design Professional Development Workbook
  • The English Teacher's Companion: A Complete Guide to Classroom, Curriculum, and the Profession
  • Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching