Start by marking “The Patrian Transgression (Star Trek: The Original Series)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Patrian Transgression

Simon Hawke

The Patrian Transgression (Star Trek: The Original Series #69)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The Patrian Transgression
The U.S.S. Enterprise is sent to Patria I to discuss that world's application for federation membership. But Captain Kirk and his landing party soon discover that the Patrians have a strict system of laws -- laws that are enforced by a telepathic police force.
In the midst of this startling revelation, the crew finds themselves in the middle of
Published (first published April 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Patrian Transgression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Patrian Transgression

A
After reading a handful of TNG books, It strikes me in TOS novels that Kirk is kind of an idiot sometimes. Thank God for Spock or he'd never solve any mysteries~

This book was pretty good though, albeit this is a concept I've seen & read about a hundred times before, ie 'Thoughtcrimes'. The hypocrisy and politics in this story were so frustrating that I actually had to put the book down and take a breath. In that respect, the book did it's job given that i 'cared' enough to even be annoyed.

Ki
Paul Lunger
From April 1994, Simon Hawke gives us a story that at times tries to do too much too quickly & at times not enough. The story revolves around the Patrians who have invited the Federation in to consider them for admission & also to help put down a rebel revolt. The race itself has stumbled onto the outside community on their own despite being unable to solve the majority of issues that would normally lead to interstellar travel. Hawke's portrayal of the Patrians themselves comes off fine ...more
Andrew
Another of a seemingly never ending supply of Trek books I picked up at a charity shop but so far the best of the bunch.
The characterisation as usual doesn't stray that far from the TV series which ultimately saves a lot of time...we know McCoy is a touch Techy..Spock is a Vulcan Sherlock Holmes and James T Kirk has an eye for the ladies(though in this one it's another crew member who gets the girl)and as such we don't have to invest much brain power getting into the characters...luckily this is
J.D.
Not a fav novel of mine, but a nice TOS read. The book could make a better impact if the problematic of Mind unit could be written in a few books not just one. Good idea, wrong format. The characters, thankfully, true to themselves. I did not like Jordan.
ral
Decent book- compared to some published Star Trek fiction. It gives a little more interest, and was easy to complete in the two hours that I did complete it in.
Stephen Fender
This was an interesting twist on the "mind reading cops" and the people that fear them story line. The supporting players were well rounded, but not as three dimension as I'd like to have seen. The Enterprise crew was well represented, and it was nice to see McCoy get a little action this time instead of Kirk. The dynamic between Leonard and Kim--while FAR from being the center of the story--was done very well and felt 'real'. Two thumbs up for this fine Trek adventure.
Phillip
This was a pretty good "Original Series" story. I did spot one typo in the beginning of the book (they called a ship by one name, then called it by a completely different name one page later). But I've found some Star Trek novels that do not follow proper characterization ... but this one did a pretty good job. I found the story engaging and interesting. If you are looking for a nice and cheap TOS novel, this will do the job. It's not the greatest, but it's good.
Wendy
This was okay, but pretty predictable. As with so many ST novels, there's nothing to really pinpoint to dislike it, but it's not the greatest in literature ever. Just some forgettable fun, a guilty pleasure of sorts.

This one is no different than the others. Read it or leave it, it's just a fun little jaunt into the ST universe and back out. It's not the greatest, but it's not the worst, either.
Kreg
Certainly one of the top 10-15 best TOS books I've read. A bit heavy-handed in places (mainly dealing with the 'diplomats' and telepaths), but characterizations were well done. Plot was excellent and held my interest throughout the book.
Helen
classic Trek, mind crimes, prime dir, started slow but picked up
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
GD Trekkie
GD Trekkie marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Lydia Thomas
Lydia Thomas marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
George
George marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
  • From the Depths
  • Crossroad
  • The Final Nexus
  • The Starship Trap
  • Recovery (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #4)
  • Shell Game
  • Faces of Fire
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Timetrap
aka J.D. Masters, Nicholas V. Yermakov

He was born Nicholas Valentin Yermakov, but began writing as Simon Hawke in 1984 and later changed his legal name to Hawke. He has also written near future adventure novels under the penname "J. D. Masters" and a series of humorous mystery novels.
More about Simon Hawke...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26) The Outcast (Dark Sun: Tribe of One, #1) The Nomad (Dark Sun: Tribe of One, #3) The Seeker (Dark Sun: Tribe of One, #2) The Ivanhoe Gambit (Time Wars, #1)