Shall We Dance?

Shall We Dance?

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Loulou Landers, London's undisputed Queen of Vintage Fashion, meets a man on the eve of her dreaded forty-ninth birthday. He's kind, he's sensitive, he's divinely handsome and he carries a designer suit like George Clooney. Unfortunately, he's barely half her age, and Loulou's just not ready to 'go cougar'.

Then there is Loulou's 21-year-old daughter, Theo, who won't get a...more
Published October 2010 by Penguin Books Australia

Penni Pappas
Look. It didn't take me 6 months to read this book. I lost it on the bus, found it, gave it back to the library, had to wait ages for it to be on the shelves again and huzzah! Reborrowed the book last week. I started it again from the beginning because let's be honest 'Shall We Dance?' isn't a book at makes an impact to stay in your memory retention part of brain. Au contraire, it's a book that keeps you company on these horrid winter nights. It's a fun filler book, between hard reads.

And it wa...more
The completely unrealistic voice of the twenty-one year old ruined this for me. Theo sounds like an unpleasant fifteen year old. Didn't buy the end - all too neat.
is mee... kissa
Dec 13, 2010 is mee... kissa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to is mee... kissa by: mum's friend
i'm kind of surprised that i enjoyed this book... i didn't really expect to, but it was given to me for a burrowed read so i decided to try it out.

Not bad... not bad at all, i've never read a book by Maggie Alderson, let alone heard of her, but although i wouldn't pursue any of her books, i must admit that i did have a certain liking for this book.

Shall we Dance is basically about a mother and her daughter. The main person in this would probably be the mother but the book has the POV's of both...more
Sam Still Reading
Jan 29, 2011 Sam Still Reading rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: wannabe cougars
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: read other books by same author
Shall We Dance? is a bit of a departure from Maggie Alderson’s other novels – the protagonist, Loulou Landers is -gasp!- almost 49 with an adult daughter. I’m not sure who this book is targeted to – ladies in that age range or the age range of her daughter. It took me a while to get used to, reading about a character that is not much younger than my mum. Theo, Loulou’s daughter is 21 and obsessed with chain store shopping, which really didn’t fit in with me either.

Happily, Alderson’s characters...more
Sallyann Van leeuwen
Blah, Maggie Alderson, what were you thinking? Generic characters, extremely annoying daughter, storylines that just peter out. Lulu Landers, vintage clothes queen is turning 49. Maybe she is having a mid life crisis, but suddenly she has feelings for someone who is inappropriate for her. The story follows her dilemma and her choices she makes Her bratty daughter, Theo is a self centered disrespectful whiner, with no redeeming qualities. This means that even when she does something relatively ni...more
Bronwyn Rykiert
I was disappointed with this book. The storyline was fine but the characters let me down.

LouLou Landers is the Queen of Vintage Fashion in London and as she is about to turn 49 and not liking the idea she meets a young man who was interested in her but she does not know how to handle him. She has 2 best friends Chard, an aging rock star and Keith, a gay insurance man. The friends were great. Theo who drove me crazy as she was so rude to her mother and her friends and I really did not like LouLou...more
Kate
Readers may be most familiar with Maggie Alderson through her (now discontinued) column in The Age newspaper’s Good Weekend magazine – it ran for her over a decade and was an unrivalled combination of humour, fashion and modern etiquette. I was very cross when it was canned (and made sure I told The Age) – the weekend newspaper is not the same without Maggie. Thankfully for her fans, Alderson keeps a blog, writes novels and is also what I consider Twitter gold – she tweets in the way one should...more
Lyn Richards
I loved this book of a lovely eccentric 49 year old lady who has an up and down relationship with her daughter. This life, coupled with a career doing something she loves and the enduring strength she draws from her ever present friends.....such a good read.....fun and easy to read.
Nicki
May 08, 2014 Nicki added it
Shelves: gave-up
Nope. Giving up. I just can't with this book anymore.
PindanPrincess
Another good read from Maggie. Even though they can be cliched and the characters always seem to live in a perfect world with slight hiccups that you know are going to work out at the end. I do love getting lost - in this case in the world of vingage fashion, and english chic. I liked the fact that this book had two herioines, mother and daughter with two different point of views. Very enternaining.
Jane Thomas
Great company for afternoon on-the-couch reads during Christmas and New Year. What a hoot: NW1, vintage fashion, lots of fuss about family and friends, festival glamping culminating in a wedding in Hello! mag. Strictly for those in need of a light hearted read...
Emily
It was slow to start off with but picked up towards then end.
Theo yhroughly annoyed me at the start with her attitude and I disliked reading her chapters. Luckily she was better as the book progressed and was quite likeable at the end.
To bad you can't give half stars.
ChingyPingy
This was enjoyable - a definite improvement on her last book "How to break your own heart". The characters were fun and even though I usually find books about fashion a bit boring, this time it was interesting because rather than obsessing about labels, this focussed on vintage.
Katie Q
Ok. I have really really tried-hard to get into this book. I just cannot stand the Theo character and the dialogue style. Yes I do realise that the dialogue is part of Theo's character however, it is incredibly annoying and making the whole book an unpleasant read.
Melissa Saxton
I started this book with such high hopes but the teenage daughter seemed so unrealistic that I had to put it down. I may try to read it again but at the moment I don't think I have the right mindset to enjoy it.
Jody
A light and airy very quick read. Engaged me and held my interest. Set against the Vintage Fashion world it is a slightly cliched but utterly enjoyable read. Perfect Summer Reading.
Leanne
Loved Lola - really want to visit her shop ! had a hard time putting up with her daughter but other than that a lovely read !
Alys
Oct 07, 2011 Alys added it
I really enjoyed this. Agree its not great literature but it's fun and well told.
Sharmini
The first of Alderson's books that I've read ... and I must say I've enjoyed it.
Renae
Another predictable M.Alderson. It was an easy read, enjoyable, but predictable.
Liz
Just wonderful, a real star read.
Jill
Very enjoyable chic lit.
Elizabeth Smith
Elizabeth Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Jessica Meddick
Jessica Meddick marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Kathryn Hughes
Kathryn Hughes marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Hello I was born in London, brought up in Staffordshire and educated at the University of St Andrews.

I have edited four magazines: British ELLE and ES (I was Editor of the Year for that – get me) in London, then Cleo (acting editor) and Mode in Sydney. I also worked on the Evening Standard and the Sydney Morning Herald.

Newspapers are my spiritual home. My column in Good Weekend magazine has been...more
More about Maggie Alderson...
Mad About The Boy Pants On Fire Cents And Sensibility Handbags and Gladrags How To Break Your Own Heart