Start by marking “Shall We Dance?” as Want to Read:
Shall We Dance?

Shall We Dance?

Loulou Landers, London's undisputed Queen of Vintage Fashion, meets a man on the eve of her dreaded forty-ninth birthday. He's kind, he's sensitive, he's divinely handsome and he carries a designer suit like George Clooney. Unfortunately, he's barely half her age, and Loulou's just not ready to 'go cougar'.

Then there is Loulou's 21-year-old daughter, Theo, who won't get a
Published October 2010 by Penguin Books Australia

To ask other readers questions about Shall We Dance?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shall We Dance?

Penni Pappas
Jul 29, 2011 Penni Pappas rated it liked it
Look. It didn't take me 6 months to read this book. I lost it on the bus, found it, gave it back to the library, had to wait ages for it to be on the shelves again and huzzah! Reborrowed the book last week. I started it again from the beginning because let's be honest 'Shall We Dance?' isn't a book at makes an impact to stay in your memory retention part of brain. Au contraire, it's a book that keeps you company on these horrid winter nights. It's a fun filler book, between hard reads.

And it wa
Nov 23, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was ok
The completely unrealistic voice of the twenty-one year old ruined this for me. Theo sounds like an unpleasant fifteen year old. Didn't buy the end - all too neat.
Kate Loughman
Oct 06, 2014 Kate Loughman rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book & found it hard to put down. It combined the romance & gorgeous vintage clothes. Maggie Alderson has a way of writing that really lets you see the characters & the settings where their lives play out.
Katie Q
Jan 07, 2013 Katie Q rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-books
Ok. I have really really tried-hard to get into this book. I just cannot stand the Theo character and the dialogue style. Yes I do realise that the dialogue is part of Theo's character however, it is incredibly annoying and making the whole book an unpleasant read.
Sam Still Reading
Jan 29, 2011 Sam Still Reading rated it liked it
Recommends it for: wannabe cougars
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: read other books by same author
Shall We Dance? is a bit of a departure from Maggie Alderson’s other novels – the protagonist, Loulou Landers is -gasp!- almost 49 with an adult daughter. I’m not sure who this book is targeted to – ladies in that age range or the age range of her daughter. It took me a while to get used to, reading about a character that is not much younger than my mum. Theo, Loulou’s daughter is 21 and obsessed with chain store shopping, which really didn’t fit in with me either.

Happily, Alderson’s characters
is mee... kissa
Dec 13, 2010 is mee... kissa rated it liked it
Recommended to is mee... kissa by: mum's friend
i'm kind of surprised that i enjoyed this book... i didn't really expect to, but it was given to me for a burrowed read so i decided to try it out.

Not bad... not bad at all, i've never read a book by Maggie Alderson, let alone heard of her, but although i wouldn't pursue any of her books, i must admit that i did have a certain liking for this book.

Shall we Dance is basically about a mother and her daughter. The main person in this would probably be the mother but the book has the POV's of both
Bronwyn Rykiert
I was disappointed with this book. The storyline was fine but the characters let me down.

LouLou Landers is the Queen of Vintage Fashion in London and as she is about to turn 49 and not liking the idea she meets a young man who was interested in her but she does not know how to handle him. She has 2 best friends Chard, an aging rock star and Keith, a gay insurance man. The friends were great. Theo who drove me crazy as she was so rude to her mother and her friends and I really did not like LouLou
Sallyann Van leeuwen
Feb 21, 2014 Sallyann Van leeuwen rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit, audio
Blah, Maggie Alderson, what were you thinking? Generic characters, extremely annoying daughter, storylines that just peter out. Lulu Landers, vintage clothes queen is turning 49. Maybe she is having a mid life crisis, but suddenly she has feelings for someone who is inappropriate for her. The story follows her dilemma and her choices she makes Her bratty daughter, Theo is a self centered disrespectful whiner, with no redeeming qualities. This means that even when she does something relatively ni ...more
Jul 04, 2012 Kate rated it liked it
Readers may be most familiar with Maggie Alderson through her (now discontinued) column in The Age newspaper’s Good Weekend magazine – it ran for her over a decade and was an unrivalled combination of humour, fashion and modern etiquette. I was very cross when it was canned (and made sure I told The Age) – the weekend newspaper is not the same without Maggie. Thankfully for her fans, Alderson keeps a blog, writes novels and is also what I consider Twitter gold – she tweets in the way one should ...more
Nov 28, 2010 PindanPrincess rated it liked it
Another good read from Maggie. Even though they can be cliched and the characters always seem to live in a perfect world with slight hiccups that you know are going to work out at the end. I do love getting lost - in this case in the world of vingage fashion, and english chic. I liked the fact that this book had two herioines, mother and daughter with two different point of views. Very enternaining.
Feb 11, 2015 Diana rated it really liked it
Theo had to be the most annoying and selfish daughter ever! The one thing that kept me from giving this a 5 star rating is that it wrapped at the end (in a tidy little package) and just a few pages....not realistic. Other than that, I really enjoyed the book and will ready more by Maggie Alderson in the future.
Lyn Richards
Mar 22, 2014 Lyn Richards rated it it was amazing
I loved this book of a lovely eccentric 49 year old lady who has an up and down relationship with her daughter. This life, coupled with a career doing something she loves and the enduring strength she draws from her ever present friends.....such a good and easy to read.
Jane Thomas
Jan 02, 2014 Jane Thomas rated it really liked it
Great company for afternoon on-the-couch reads during Christmas and New Year. What a hoot: NW1, vintage fashion, lots of fuss about family and friends, festival glamping culminating in a wedding in Hello! mag. Strictly for those in need of a light hearted read...
Melissa Saxton
I started this book with such high hopes but the teenage daughter seemed so unrealistic that I had to put it down. I may try to read it again but at the moment I don't think I have the right mindset to enjoy it.
Dec 15, 2010 Emily rated it liked it
It was slow to start off with but picked up towards then end.
Theo yhroughly annoyed me at the start with her attitude and I disliked reading her chapters. Luckily she was better as the book progressed and was quite likeable at the end.
To bad you can't give half stars.
Nov 16, 2010 ChingyPingy rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
This was enjoyable - a definite improvement on her last book "How to break your own heart". The characters were fun and even though I usually find books about fashion a bit boring, this time it was interesting because rather than obsessing about labels, this focussed on vintage.
Chris Bell
Aug 03, 2015 Chris Bell rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it made me laugh out loud at times even on public transport and I even
shed a few tears.
Well worth reading
Nov 24, 2010 Jody rated it liked it
A light and airy very quick read. Engaged me and held my interest. Set against the Vintage Fashion world it is a slightly cliched but utterly enjoyable read. Perfect Summer Reading.
Jul 17, 2013 Leanne rated it liked it
Loved Lola - really want to visit her shop ! had a hard time putting up with her daughter but other than that a lovely read !
Vilakazi rated it liked it
May 05, 2012
Kay rated it it was ok
Mar 14, 2015
Robyn Letourneau
Robyn Letourneau rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Ximena Iglesias
Ximena Iglesias rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Barbara rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Narelle rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2012
Sep 21, 2011 Liz rated it really liked it
Just wonderful, a real star read.
Fiona Armstrong
Fiona Armstrong rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Megan rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Shelly Heaton
Shelly Heaton rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2014
Bella George
Bella George rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2012
  • The Secret Ingredient
  • Hit (Makedde Vanderwall, #4)
  • Exodus Code (Torchwood, #19)
  • The Honey Queen
  • Bad Behaviour
  • Cat and Jemima J
  • Roadside Sisters
  • Private Lives
  • House of the Rising Son (The Entire Dark-Hunterverse, #28)
  • The Devil You Know
  • The Wish List
  • Air Kisses
  • Becoming Scarlett
  • Diary of a Married Call Girl (Nancy Chan, #2)
  • Murder Can Cool Off Your Affair (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #9)
  • Blue Skies
  • Flatmates
  • The Last Year of Being Married
Hello I was born in London, brought up in Staffordshire and educated at the University of St Andrews.

I have edited four magazines: British ELLE and ES (I was Editor of the Year for that – get me) in London, then Cleo (acting editor) and Mode in Sydney. I also worked on the Evening Standard and the Sydney Morning Herald.

Newspapers are my spiritual home. My column in Good Weekend magazine has been
More about Maggie Alderson...