Start by marking “The Apple: Crimson Petal Stories” as Want to Read:
The Apple: Crimson Petal Stories

The Apple: Crimson Petal Stories

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  1,791 ratings  ·  178 reviews
Enjoy more Sugar. Join Clara at the rat pit. Relax with Mr Bodley as he is lulled to sleep by Mrs Tremain and her girls. Find out what became of Sophie.

Michel Faber revisits the world of his bestselling novel The Crimson Petal and the White, conjuring tantalising glimpses of its characters, their lives before we first met them and their intriguing futures. You'll be desper
Kindle Edition, Kindle
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Apple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Apple

Paul Bryant
In 2003 The Crimson Petal and the White was published to much acclaim. I read it and awarded it five plump wobbly stars. But other readers had other reactions. In his forward to this slender collection of short stories, Mr Faber says that he gets letters from his readers and he keeps them in a box. So that’s surprising right there – who writes to authors? I would never have the nerve. I mean, what would you say to Shakespeare? Dear Bard, I must say that I thought The Tempest was a wonderful note ...more
Despite the 2*, this is not exactly a bad book, merely opportunistic, frustrating and hugely disappointing after the wonderfully rich novel which it relates to, The Crimson Petal and the White (, “TCP”.

There’s little point reading this collection unless you have read TCP, but huge disappointment if you have. I really wouldn’t advise anyone to read it.

Where TCP was a luxuriously long, deep novel, this is half a dozen very short stories, jumping on that ba
This is nowhere near as good or as rich as The Crimson Petal and the White. I knew it wouldn't be, but I did expect more subtext from this author. Don't let the 199 page-count fool you either. The physical pages are short, the font is fairly big and it reads quickly. I bought it for a pittance at a library sale, so I'm fine with that, and it is a pretty little book with its own ribbon marker.

The stories are technically standalones (a point Faber makes in his foreword), but I wonder how much inte
The Apple is a collection of new crimson petal stories that would appeal to readers who have enjoyed Faber’s Victorian epic, The Crimson Petal and the White. I was glad to be once again in the company of Sugar (intellectual whore turned governess) Sophie (Perfumer William Rackham’s little girl abducted by her governess), Clara (the maid who’d been dismissed from the Rackham household), Dr Curlew (the Rackham family physician) and his horse-face daughter (Emmeline Fox who survived consumption), B ...more
I enjoyed reading some of the stories. It has been a few years since I read the Crimson Petal and the White, and it was fun to recognize names. I matched a few characters up to the wrong names and forgot some characters entirely, but none of that affected my understanding of the stories. Had it not been for one particular quote that I really, really liked, I could have gone without reading this collection. In my mind, I knew how Sugar would turn out. The ending of The Crimson Petal and the White ...more
Ok folks, first things first. If you haven’t read The Crimson Petal and The White, then please don’t read this collection of short stories. It is worthless. Thankfully, Amazon will give you a discount on a group purchase.

Secondly, following the bestseller success of The Crimson Petal, Cannongate have made the commercial decision to let Faber treat us to some literary nuggets and allow us back into the lives of the central characters from the first book with glimpses into both the past and the fu
Jul 29, 2008 Martine rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of <i>The Crimson Petal and the White</i>
The Apple is a hard book to rate. On the one hand, I enjoyed the seven stories contained in it for the additional glimpse they provide into the lives of the characters of The Crimson Petal and the White, one of the best novels I've read this year. On the other hand, they don't provide nearly enough glimpses for my liking, and I doubt they'll appeal much to people who haven't read The Crimson Petal. So. Yeah. Conundrum!

Three of the stories in The Apple are set before the events of The Crimson Pet
I was desperate to read this, to find out more. I still feel like I don't know everything I need to know about these wonderful characters.

I enjoyed the format of the book, the short stories of each person. I did raise my eyebrow a couple if Times whilst reading this but in a good way.

I need more. I doubt we'll ever get more but I will live in hope. In the meantime, I will grieve.

On a side note, I spent my Sunday watching the TV series, which I can, hand on heart say, was pretty spectacular. U
Aug 16, 2007 Clare rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the short story
The back of my book states that Faber is a "master" of no less than two items - "his subject" AND "the short story form". Glowing praise but I was unsure that such a slim volume could stand up to it. However, I'd loved the first book so gave this a go.

Quite a number of writers have seemed to want to delve further into fictional worlds and characters they have already created recently. For example, Susannah Clarke and "The Ladies of Grace Adieu" and this collection. This is basically a return to
Ben Hart
Pointless extension of The Crimson Petal and the White, picking up major and minor characters after or before events from the original book. Well written, but the more rigid chapters lack the fluidity of the main book and I didn't feel like these were stories that were desperate to be told.

Like watching a great 3 hour film then having 30 minutes of deleted scenes/alternate endings - its nice to still be in that world but they don't really add anything to the characters or original story. Definit
Kvítek byl pro mě skorem zjevení, nadchl mě ten svět, postavy, jazyk, kterým byl psán (a přeložen), takže jsem se na další příběhy těšila. A čtou se krásně, některé povídky jsou jen střípky či střípečky, které klidně mohly vypadnout při ořezu dokonalého okna "Kvítku", v tom příběhu mohly být a nerušily by. V této povídkové sbírce si je můžeme zasadit do kontextu a rozhodně nepořežou. Akorát jsou ty střípky někdy hodně titěrné a hladový čtenář by je chtěl malinko větší, tak je lačný po oblíbených ...more
This is a very good, but very brief, prequel/sequel to Faber's masterpiece The Crimson Petal and the White. That novel is better than anything Dickens ever wrote and almost as good as Middlemarch. Sugar and the Rackhams are some of the most well-developed fully fleshed characters in modern literature and the chance to see what came after the close of the novel, at least glimpses of that life for a few of the characters, is what drew me to this story collection.

If you haven't read The Crimson Pet
Helen Maltby
"I do understand how maddening it is to only get so far, and not know what happened next. I wouldn't do that to you!"

So writes a character in one of the short stories that add to the reader's understanding of Michel Faber's earlier book, "The Crimson Petal and the White".

Well, yes, Mr Faber. It IS maddening. I don't know a single person who felt satisfied when they reached the end of "Crimson Petal". We all want to know what happened next. What REALLY happened to Agnes? Where did Sugar and Sophi
Christy B
A delightful collection of seven short stories from the world of The Crimson Petal and the White. I had loved that novel so, that when I found out there were more glimpses into the Crimson Petal world, I just had to get it.

The stories here are nothing spectacular and they don't reveal anything major about the characters. With the way the original novel ended, I'm sure people thought these stories would be a nice little wrap-up, as it were. They are not. They are, however, a sort of revisit of ol
Lindsay Seddon
If you have read the Crismon Petal and the White, I highy reccomend this book. It is a collection of short stories about a few of the characters from Crimson Petal, some act as a prequel, some a sequel.

The foreword by Michael faber is interesting, so don't skip it, he includes a few letters from readers about their approval/disapproval of the ending and begging for another installment. In it he mentions that he wrote the book so that it could be enjoyed seperately from The Crimson Petal, that y
Elizabeth K.
Short stories about the characters from The Crimson Petal and the White, some which take place prior to the events of that book, and some after. We shall take the high quality of Faber's writing as a given, and beyond that, I had a mixed reaction. I was a little more intrigued with the stories of things that happened before, for the most part. Finding out, even remotely, what happened after made things feel too pat. And a lot of the happenings are things you might have guessed anyway, so it wasn ...more
Paz Alonso
Obviously the stories here weren't as rich and developed as The Crimson Petal and I'm really surprised anyone would expect otherwise. They're supposed to be vignettes, not a novel and definitely not a sequel, neither in length nor content. I loved reading about some of the characters again in this almost fanfictionesque format.
What I really liked about this volume is the author's Forward. I appreciated the attention he paid to the readers' letters he received --- and saved. Since I thought that The Crimson Petal and the White was a really Dickensian book, what could be better than the fan letters that expressed deep interest and concern for the lives and fortunes of the characters? Dickens got loads of letters, too, I believe.

Perhaps, the letters influenced Dickens to make plot changes or alter details as the periodi
Διηγήματα τοποθετημένα στην Αγγλία του 18ου αιώνα.Όπως διαβάζω πρόκειται για συνέχεια του ογκωδέστατου βιβλίου ''Το άλικο και το λευκό'' που είχε προηγηθεί.Ο συγγραφέας όπως δηλώνει στον πρόλογο,δεν σκόπευε να τα εκδώσει,αλλά η απήχηση(παραθέτονται αποσπάσματα από γράμματα αναγνωστών) που είχε στο κοινό και η αγωνία για την τύχη ορισμένων ηρώων του προηγούμενου βιβλίου,τον οδήγησε σε αυτήν την απόφαση.Καλώς ή κακώς;Σε αυτό δεν μπορώ να απαντήσω.Εφόσον δεν έχω διαβάσει το προαναφερθέν μυθιστόρημα ...more
This collection of (very) short stories follows some of the characters from The Crimson Petal And The White, both before and after that novel. Each story was interesting in its own way, but none of it was satisfactory and some of them, I could have done without. I'd gladly have traded in the stories about Clara and Mr. Bodley for a lengthier version of the final story. Although I do have to admit that the story about Clara had an ending which truly made me want to know how it'd go further.

The f
Patrick Limcaco
Jessica Zafra’s negative review of Michel Faber’s The Crimson Petal & The White in Flip, a magazine that, sadly, lived for only one fruitful year, is the only explanation for The Crimson Petal & The White’s existence in my life. I don’t necessarily think that Sugar is the best prostitute in all of literature, but she’s a fun girl to read about. To be clear, I don’t recall the Sugar character as being fun, but prostitute with an attitude? Yes, please.

In the novel, Sugar welcomes the reade
I'm not usually a fan of short stories but I loved these. Tantalising glimpses into the lives of the Crimson Petal characters - both before and after the events depicted in the novel - and we find out what happened to Sugar and Sophie. A beautifully written glimpse into the darker side of life in Victorian London.
Stefanie Lubkowski
The Apple stories were all very engaging, and very well written, just like the novel. Some light is shed on what happened to Sugar and Sophie, but not so much that as to dispel the mystery of the the original novel. If anything, these stories make me want to read The Crimson Petal all over again.
The Crimson Petal and the White is my favourite work of historical fiction and has been for years. I have never read another work of historical fiction, yet, that compares to Faber's ability to pull the reader into another world. It is a long time since I first read The Crimson Petal and the White and as soon as I started reading The Apple I felt like I was being reacquainted with a long lost friend. Despite several years between reading the two I instantly recognised Faber's style of writing an ...more
Laura Simpson
3/4 stars

I would of like to have gone into this after reading the novel that comes before this, but I am reading this for uni, so didn't have much choice. Which is rather annoying considering I think I would of benefitted much more from having the previous book as context to this one, I think I would have connected to the characters more that way. So apart from that these short stories collection was intriguing and a unique historical fiction. I was quite shocked at parts, knowing nothing about
It was good to be back with old friends in this book. The stories themselves are a bit mixed. The one with Clara isn't nearly as good as the last one, but it's interesting to see where everyone went.
I'd recommend it to anyone who loved Crimson.
I enjoyed this "sequel" or collection of stories relating to "The Crimson Petal and the White" which was one of the most captivating novels I've read in recent years.

Picking up on some of the most loved and rememberable characters in the novel, this collection of short stories revisits some of them - in both "earlier" and later years in comparison of when the events in the novel took place.

As some have already commented, these stories are possibly more worth to the person who has read the novel,
Josh Ang
This collection of stories offers another glimpse of the much-loved characters of Faber's Victorian novel The Crimson Petal and the White.

In that novel, the fates of main character Sugar and her charge Sophie were inconclusive and many fans of the novel hoped for a sequel. However, Faber ruled out that possibility, perhaps in an effort to preserve the definitive status of that sprawling novel.

The Sugar that appears in two of the stories in this collection, including the titular story, is still
It was enjoyable to read more of Faber’s work set in ‘The Crimson’ period. A total of seven stories with four of the stories taking place in the future from ‘The Crimson’, not necessarily containing the characters fans of ‘The Crimson’ probably would have liked, while the other three are set in the past fleshing out characters already known to readers of 'The Crimson'.

I enjoyed some stories more than others, a few were a nice addition to the main story such as ‘The fly and it’s effect upon Mr Bo
Carole Tyrrell
This is a slim volume containing 8 short stories in which some of the main characters in The Crimson Petal and The White have their fates revealed. This is for everyone who, like me, finished the original book and thought ‘But what happened next to Sugar, Sophie, William…;’
The Apple doesn’t have all the answers but it does have some as we meet an older Sophie, Clare, her mother’s maid who’s fallen on hard times and become a prostitute, and Miss Sugar appears tantalisingly in the background.
And W
Short stories based on characters from his novel 1 4 Apr 10, 2014 11:15AM
  • Little Gods
  • The Gods Are Thirsty: A Novel of the French Revolution
  • The Crimson Ribbon
  • The Best Short Stories by Black Writers: 1899 - 1967
  • Ratcatcher (Matthew Hawkwood, #1)
  • Put Out the Fires
  • The Collected Stories of Katherine Mansfield
  • Dark Shadows: Angélique's Descent
  • The Pillow Boy of the Lady Onogoro
  • The Great Stink
Michel Faber (born 13 April 1960) is a Dutch writer of English-language fiction.

Faber was born in The Hague, The Netherlands. He and his parents emigrated to Australia in 1967. He attended primary and secondary school in the Melbourne suburbs of Boronia and Bayswater, then attended the University Of Melbourne, studying Dutch, Philosophy, Rhetoric, English Language (a course involving translation a
More about Michel Faber...