Start by marking “How to Survive Anything: Shark Attack, Lightning, Embarrassing Parents, Pop Quizzes, and Other Perilous Situations” as Want to Read:

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Let's face it. With school pressures, social pressures, parental pressures...the teenage years are tough. Your best friend is with you one day, dating your crush the next. But it could be worse! You could be face-to-face with an angry grizzly, or chest-deep in quicksand. Never fear, National Geographic has the solution! In this hilariously informative take on surviving the ...more
Published April 12th 2011 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Survive Anything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Survive Anything

Jack Lembeck
Nov 21, 2014 Jack Lembeck rated it really liked it

How to Survive Anything by Rachel Buchholz is a how to book that describes ways to get out of bad situations. Each section is two to four pages, has big font, and many graphics and pictures. This book has how to information on surviving natural disasters like hurricanes and volcano eruptions. This book also includes help with social situations like being the new kid, having embarrassing parents, and how to throw a party. I enjoyed this book, but I didn't love it. It was a quick read and I expec
Chrissy
Jun 08, 2014 Chrissy rated it liked it
Shelves: libs-678
I found this title on the Quick Picks list. It was full of eye-catching, colorful pictures and text. The tips were written with humor and geared towards teenagers (e.g. "How to Survive Embarrassing Parents" and "How to Survive A Mean Teacher.") Some of the scenarios seemed a little unlikely for anyone to encounter (e.g. How to Survive an Erupting Volcano) but others were applicable almost every teen (How to Survive Cyber-bullying or a How to Survive a Break-Up). I'd recommend this book to Freshm ...more
Jessi
Apr 18, 2011 Jessi rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This is another book that I know my students will love. It's another one that will have to be place on my "special" shelf to insure that no one steals it. I expect it to soon show evidence of much love as have my other National Geographic titles. With interesting pictures and a magazine-like layout that draws the eye, it is a great book for students to grab and instantly become engaged in after finishing work or just for fun on their own.

It showcases thirty-one situations that kids/teens might e
Rebecca
Jan 30, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Very funny and filled with lots of great tips. Has ways to survive everything from hurricanes and wildfires to tests and bullies. Designed for preteens but some teens might even find this book amusing and helpful.
Henry
Jan 16, 2014 Henry rated it it was ok
Ok, get to the point. This book is "tell me almost everything". It had 16 parts, each part telling me about something different. The cover gave me 75% of all the topics. It was a 2 stars because it told me correct information about the few situation. Don't read this book, go read the boy scout handbook, that gives me 400% more information.
Josiphine
Jun 12, 2015 Josiphine rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Eh. I did laugh at the right/wrong pictures but if you followed all the instructions in this book you would live a pretty dull life.
Lora
Nov 17, 2011 Lora rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious, yet filled with TONS of helpful information! I've watched enough "I Shouldn't Be Alive" to know what NOT to do in certain situations, but this book takes it to the next level and even discusses what to do to survive an embarrassing moment, a breakup, being the new kid, and other normal everyday stuff that kids deal with.

A great nonfiction title that is super easy to booktalk (for TONS of ages) because it's one of those books where you don't need to read it cover to cover
Emyrose8
May 14, 2015 Emyrose8 rated it really liked it
Very helpful book! Love the illustrations. Good, practical advice for teens.
James
Nov 14, 2013 James rated it liked it
How to Survive Anything is a book that talks about common problems and how to get through them. This book is very interesting because it gives you information about stuff you wouldn't have known about otherwise. Some of the things you will learn from this book is useless but some are things you may actually use one day. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to learn or likes fun facts.
Ann
Jun 09, 2011 Ann rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Loved the chapters on "how to survive embarrassing parents"(my dad totally used to sing in the elevator and belch in the parking lot) and "how to survive popularity contest". ahh those were the days. The book was colorful with fun tips and trivia.
Jamison
Jun 05, 2011 Jamison rated it liked it
Funny and easy to breeze through. Probably best for younger teens, I think the cheesy jokes might be a turn-off for older YA readers. Several copy editing errors - not bad enough to obscure the meaning, but more than enough to drive me crazy!
Autumn
Aug 29, 2011 Autumn rated it it was amazing
Brilliant combo of "Coping With..." and SHARK ATTACK! Great design and illustrations, solid advice on bullying, internet safety etc. and a concept that makes this about 1000% more appealing than the typical teen safety/advice book.
Gregory Sullivan
Feb 25, 2014 Gregory Sullivan rated it liked it
really helps as teaches step to survive almost anything
Holly Thompson
Jun 22, 2012 Holly Thompson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5th-grade, 6th-grade
So I skimmed this one too, but the facts in here are pretty helpful. It will tell you how to survive something as scary as an earthquake... or 6th grade...
Elsa
May 17, 2011 Elsa rated it really liked it
Shelves: qp-2012
How to survive embarrassing parents-my favorite chapter. I now have more ammo for my own kids who still find me astonishingly embarrassing!
Heather
Aug 17, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: qp-2012
How to survive embarrassing parents really struck a chord with me. I have the matching family photos to prove it
Jasmine
Very informative book, it is surely recommended to everyone
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Bryn
Bryn marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Noelle
Noelle marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Isaac
Isaac marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Sharif
Sharif added it
Jan 26, 2016
HipEntree03
HipEntree03 rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2015
Mindi
Mindi marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015