How to Survive Anything: Shark Attack, Lightning, Embarrassing Parents, Pop Quizzes, and Other Perilous Situations

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Let's face it. With school pressures, social pressures, parental pressures...the teenage years are tough. Your best friend is with you one day, dating your crush the next. But it could be worse! You could be face-to-face with an angry grizzly, or chest-deep in quicksand. Never fear, National Geographic has the solution! In this hilariously informative take on surviving the...more
Published April 12th 2011 by National Geographic Children's Books

Chrissy
I found this title on the Quick Picks list. It was full of eye-catching, colorful pictures and text. The tips were written with humor and geared towards teenagers (e.g. "How to Survive Embarrassing Parents" and "How to Survive A Mean Teacher.") Some of the scenarios seemed a little unlikely for anyone to encounter (e.g. How to Survive an Erupting Volcano) but others were applicable almost every teen (How to Survive Cyber-bullying or a How to Survive a Break-Up). I'd recommend this book to Freshm...more
J.
This is another book that I know my students will love. It's another one that will have to be place on my "special" shelf to insure that no one steals it. I expect it to soon show evidence of much love as have my other National Geographic titles. With interesting pictures and a magazine-like layout that draws the eye, it is a great book for students to grab and instantly become engaged in after finishing work or just for fun on their own.

It showcases thirty-one situations that kids/teens might e...more
Henry
Ok, get to the point. This book is "tell me almost everything". It had 16 parts, each part telling me about something different. The cover gave me 75% of all the topics. It was a 2 stars because it told me correct information about the few situation. Don't read this book, go read the boy scout handbook, that gives me 400% more information.
Lora
This book is hilarious, yet filled with TONS of helpful information! I've watched enough "I Shouldn't Be Alive" to know what NOT to do in certain situations, but this book takes it to the next level and even discusses what to do to survive an embarrassing moment, a breakup, being the new kid, and other normal everyday stuff that kids deal with.

A great nonfiction title that is super easy to booktalk (for TONS of ages) because it's one of those books where you don't need to read it cover to cover...more
James
How to Survive Anything is a book that talks about common problems and how to get through them. This book is very interesting because it gives you information about stuff you wouldn't have known about otherwise. Some of the things you will learn from this book is useless but some are things you may actually use one day. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to learn or likes fun facts.
Ann
I really enjoyed this book. Loved the chapters on "how to survive embarrassing parents"(my dad totally used to sing in the elevator and belch in the parking lot) and "how to survive popularity contest". ahh those were the days. The book was colorful with fun tips and trivia.
Jamison
Funny and easy to breeze through. Probably best for younger teens, I think the cheesy jokes might be a turn-off for older YA readers. Several copy editing errors - not bad enough to obscure the meaning, but more than enough to drive me crazy!
Autumn
Brilliant combo of "Coping With..." and SHARK ATTACK! Great design and illustrations, solid advice on bullying, internet safety etc. and a concept that makes this about 1000% more appealing than the typical teen safety/advice book.
Gregory Sullivan
really helps as teaches step to survive almost anything
Holly Thompson
So I skimmed this one too, but the facts in here are pretty helpful. It will tell you how to survive something as scary as an earthquake... or 6th grade...
Elsa
How to survive embarrassing parents-my favorite chapter. I now have more ammo for my own kids who still find me astonishingly embarrassing!
Heather
How to survive embarrassing parents really struck a chord with me. I have the matching family photos to prove it
Jasmine
Very informative book, it is surely recommended to everyone
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Chun Yin
Chun Yin marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Laura added it
May 24, 2014
RPLCD
RPLCD added it
May 04, 2014
Mightyguy
Mightyguy marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Susan B
Susan B marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Ethan
Ethan added it
Nov 23, 2013
Adaeze
Adaeze marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
True Love: 24 Surprising Stories of Animal Affection The World Awaits: Wisdom and Stories to Celebrate Life's Big Moments