The Heir (Regency, #2)

The Heir (Regency #2)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  1,215 ratings  ·  37 reviews
A revamped regency from the #1 New York Times bestselling author

When a marriage is arranged between a shrewd and strong earl and his equally matched cousin, they set off fireworks, both in their anger and in their passion.
Published May 1st 2002 by Signet (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Heir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heir

Noelle
The only reason I didn't give this one a full 5* is because some of the diolog was hard to follow. I know most of it was supose to be sarcastic but I think that the author didn't quite make it work for, at least for me.

I've listed this on my 'rape by hero' shelf though some might not see it as rape. Justin (H) said him self that it wasn't rape however even though it was thier wedding night, Arabella (h) could tell he was in a rage (over a HUGE missunderstanding) and fought him, asked him not to...more
Judith
I usually like Coulter's romances, but her books are either great or terrible. I have to say that this is the worst one I have ever read. The story line was completely obvious, with no suspense or mystery. The book had very little action but mostly lifeless, stilted dialogue. Very little romance at all, the main characters are not compelling and its hard to see where the attraction is; the main love scene is a brutal rape. If you are a fan of Coulter I advise you to avoid this novel.
Patricia
I've read a lot of Coulter, but this one stood out for me. I do like this author for lighter reading of fluff and mostly enjoy her modern "mysteries."

This historical romance disects the reasons that sometimes a "small thing" gets blown out of proportion and causes estrangement between people. I thought that reading this book might help someone in real life come to their senses. There are many who won't give a "second chance" or who won't forgive and become rigid.

The story may be hard to take, bu...more
tacitus
Why not 5 Stars? The ending....

I really liked this one and thought it was much better than the first in this series, The Rebel Bride. The story was narrower and more detailed, whereas The Rebel Bride had far too much going on. That being said, the ending is quite disappointing. I will try not to give away SPOILERS!!!!, but the ending is rather...um...ignorant. It's like the author chose to just ignore the realities of Regency culture and act like everything was going to be okay now, la-di-da.

No...more
Maureen Feeney
Krissy
It's official. I am not a Catherine Coulter fan. What a pity because a lot of her books SOUND good. But yet when I start them I quickly find my mind wandering. **what shall I make for dinner?* *did I give my daughter lunch money today?* *got to remember to pay my cell phone bill* and so on and so forth. This is the 3rd book by Ms Coulter that I have tried with the same results. Time to put her away and give up. Moving on....
Jennifer Marie
OH MY WORD! This book drove me nutty with the headhopping. I couldn't keep track of whose head I was in half the time. The characters were likable enough, the plot not bad (for a romance), but goodness I couldn't take the headhopping. I read it because someone gave me the book for free. It did keep me reading despite also driving me nuts...
Roub
this was a huge disappointment ! it began so well wid arabella, lady of the manor, spoiled n arrogant beyond words! she was a lil termagant, no less ! justin was patient n wanted 2 do his best bcoz he had promised a dying man he wud look after his cherished daughter. yet, he killed her spirit due 2 baseless doubts. he raped her brutally. he did not regret it even now he had proof of her virginity, he still wud believe her sluttish. he thought maybe she had been going 4 things like anal sex or or...more
Kathryn
This could be really confusing to follow if you dont pay close attention to the dialogue, but that is not why i scored the book so low to me personally the family relations were just to close for me it made me uneasy and creeped me out when the hero and heroine of the novel described each other as (paraphrasing here) mirror images or the male/female version of themselves a couple of times the heroine even believed the hero to be her father as for her half sister urgh no to many inter family rela...more
Tasha
I really like Coulter, this was not her best for me but it's still worth the read. I would have maybe gone 2.5 stars. The story was a little slow for me and there was one particular aspect of this book that I didn't really care for at all. It made it hard for me to like Justin. Basically, you have the daughter who wants her family home (no male heirs) but the father knowing that the land would go to his daughters husband selected the husband for her before his death. If they don't marry neither...more
Twiggy
I had forgotten how stereotypical, facile and uncomfortably sexist catherine coulter's books can be.
The heroine was really annoying from the outset. she appeared to be totally self absorbed and was simply oblivious to her mother's plight.

The hero starts off as not that bad, but is very patronising to the heroine, before he turns violent on their wedding night and rapes her
he is not over apologetic thereafter.
The side plot with the French cousin and his affair with the Half sister was tawdry...more
Annette Meier
This Regency was more emotional than some of the others - gave it a different feeling and tone.
Katheline Schmitt
wonderful!!!
Brandi
This is my second time reading this book. I loved it the first time around (a long time ago) but this reading left me wanting. As much as I love Catherine Coulter's books , I think that I need to stick with the more recetn additons of her collection, the FBI series. I'm giving this book 4 stars for the great time I had reading it the first time and the mediocre reaction that I had this time around.
Stephanie
I would have loved to give it 5 stars had not some of the paragraphs and points of views run together so much. This book is one of Coulter's better works. I enjoyed reading this dramatic romance immensely. All the characters were well writ and eventhough their personalities could be frustrating at times things were resolved in ways that made the frustrating moments bearable.
Naomi
The Earl of Strafford dies in battle and is daughter is forced to marry the heir to the estate if she wants to stay in her childhood home. This is a historical romance with the usual elements of struggle between the lovers. This book has been rewritten by the author but I don't think it was done very well in that regard. Escapism, which is fun sometimes.
Krista Pressey
Arabella was a strong heroine for this book and so I found some of the things that she did strange. Why would she all of a sudden back down to the Earl. Gervaise was utter slime and I was happy to see him die. Not a book that I would typically pick for myself...I was given some from a friend. We shall see if they are all the same scenario.
Susan
Jan 14, 2014 Susan added it
Is that Michael Jackson on the cover?
Amyhougardy
It's been quite a while but I have read a handful of Catherine Coulter novels and I don't remember any of them being as unentertaining as this book. I admit to liking a bit of fluff romance from time to time but this book lacked an interesting plot or characters you really cared about.
Heather
I was extremely irritated almost the entire book. The author repeated herself CONSTANTLY. And the way she wrote made me grind my teeth.
The plot was good, if this had been someone (who wrote better) else's idea...it would have been a pretty good story.
Jelena
I couldnt finish this book. This book is awful, something between bodice ripper and humorous (parody). The hero was a blind jerk. I always read books to the end, but this was so stupid and bored.. I never read anything worse.
Mariah
The hier was a GREAT book! A mystery-Romance novle. Was filled with True love, sex, lust, greed, Violence and Mystery. It was thrilling kind of scary and sick. Funny and charming in some parts. A MUST READ! An awesome read.
Cindy
This is a mess of a story! I was halfway liking it when a misunderstanding occurs & ends up with the heroine being raped ( repeatedly) by the male lead (not a hero!). There's also a side story about incest. Ick!!
Mary
More of a Victorian Romance Novel than a who done it, again not really my kind of book, but did have a bit of mystery to it, and enough to keep me interested, so finished book.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
One of the earlier stories I read by Ms. Coulter. It was a bit darker than expected for a historical romance but I liked it. Not too memorable though.
Lisa Weber
Pretty corny, at times rather frustrating, but a mystery twist I didn't expect, so it was altogether not bad. I might try another Coulter just to see.
Deborah
One star for the wedding night rape scene, which the husband claimed wasn't rape because he used his "cream" on her. I'd no star it if I could.
Mary
Drat! This is book 2.
Also, unless Arabella gets more likeable I am not going to finish this...
Saral
Really bad characters. Couldn't stomach the fact that she forgave him his rape of her.
  • Baby of Shame
  • The Italian's Revenge (Modern Romance, #18)
  • The Price of Pleasure
  • His Wicked Promise (McKay, #2)
  • Innocent Secretary...Accidentally Pregnant
  • A Fire in the Heart
  • Bought: The Greek's Baby (Harlequin Presents, #2895)
  • The Heir from Nowhere
  • Savage Surrender
  • Lost Lady (Lady, #2)
  • Desired
  • The Greek's Pregnant Lover (Traditional Greek Husbands #2 & Greek Tycoons #7)
  • Surrender My Love (Haardrad Viking Family, #3)
  • Rocky Mountain Freedom (Six Pack Ranch, #6)
  • Vanity (V, #7)
  • Beguiled (Clan Mackenzie, #4)
The Cove (FBI Thriller, #1) The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2) Split Second (FBI Thriller, #15) Point Blank (FBI Thriller #10) Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7)