Start by marking “The Heir (Regency, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Heir (Regency, #3)

The Heir (Regency #3)

3.59  ·  Rating Details ·  1,496 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
A revamped regency from the #1 New York Times bestselling author

When a marriage is arranged between a shrewd and strong earl and his equally matched cousin, they set off fireworks, both in their anger and in their passion.
Published May 1st 2002 by Signet (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Heir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heir

The only reason I didn't give this one a full 5* is because some of the diolog was hard to follow. I know most of it was supose to be sarcastic but I think that the author didn't quite make it work for, at least for me.

I've listed this on my 'rape by hero' shelf though some might not see it as rape. Justin (H) said him self that it wasn't rape however even though it was thier wedding night, Arabella (h) could tell he was in a rage (over a HUGE missunderstanding) and fought him, asked him not to
Jun 27, 2016 Lizzy rated it did not like it
DNF@ 30%.
Jul 20, 2012 Judith rated it it was ok
I usually like Coulter's romances, but her books are either great or terrible. I have to say that this is the worst one I have ever read. The story line was completely obvious, with no suspense or mystery. The book had very little action but mostly lifeless, stilted dialogue. Very little romance at all, the main characters are not compelling and its hard to see where the attraction is; the main love scene is a brutal rape. If you are a fan of Coulter I advise you to avoid this novel.
Liked it quite a bit. However, I did dislike the fact then hero and heroine looked so damned similar to eachother. I don't think that's right. They should look different, or at least different colour eyes! But oh well. I hated her character. Full stop. I did however, like his. When the comte turned up, I was like: "OOOH damn! beef's going down now!" as soon as the whole scenario broke at with Justin assuming Arabella and the comte were lovers because he "saw them" coming out of the barn after ma ...more
Mar 25, 2014 tacitus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-book
Why not 5 Stars? The ending....

I really liked this one and thought it was much better than the first in this series, The Rebel Bride. The story was narrower and more detailed, whereas The Rebel Bride had far too much going on. That being said, the ending is quite disappointing. I will try not to give away SPOILERS!!!!, but the ending is It's like the author chose to just ignore the realities of Regency culture and act like everything was going to be okay now, la-di-da.

Mar 01, 2010 Patricia rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I've read a lot of Coulter, but this one stood out for me. I do like this author for lighter reading of fluff and mostly enjoy her modern "mysteries."

This historical romance disects the reasons that sometimes a "small thing" gets blown out of proportion and causes estrangement between people. I thought that reading this book might help someone in real life come to their senses. There are many who won't give a "second chance" or who won't forgive and become rigid.

The story may be hard to take, bu
Read some of the reviews and let me tell you that some weren't pleasant,of course we know that Catherine Coulter write gothic or dramatic stories that's her style, yes there's some topics that are gruesome but at the end she has the happy ending. Here are some highlights from the book:

"Lady Arabella. You are perhaps more arrogant than your father, though that is a very close call. You are damnably proud, but still, I am sorry for it"

"Though I can easily picture some ferocious fights between them
Maureen Feeney
Feb 09, 2010 Maureen Feeney rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2015 Krissy rated it did not like it
Shelves: pgs-300-399
It's official. I am not a Catherine Coulter fan. What a pity because a lot of her books SOUND good. But yet when I start them I quickly find my mind wandering. **what shall I make for dinner?* *did I give my daughter lunch money today?* *got to remember to pay my cell phone bill* and so on and so forth. This is the 3rd book by Ms Coulter that I have tried with the same results. Time to put her away and give up. Moving on....
Jennifer Marie
OH MY WORD! This book drove me nutty with the headhopping. I couldn't keep track of whose head I was in half the time. The characters were likable enough, the plot not bad (for a romance), but goodness I couldn't take the headhopping. I read it because someone gave me the book for free. It did keep me reading despite also driving me nuts...
Apr 06, 2014 Roub rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this was a huge disappointment ! it began so well wid arabella, lady of the manor, spoiled n arrogant beyond words! she was a lil termagant, no less ! justin was patient n wanted 2 do his best bcoz he had promised a dying man he wud look after his cherished daughter. yet, he killed her spirit due 2 baseless doubts. he raped her brutally. he did not regret it even now he had proof of her virginity, he still wud believe her sluttish. he thought maybe she had been going 4 things like anal sex or or ...more
Oct 13, 2012 Kathryn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-england
This could be really confusing to follow if you dont pay close attention to the dialogue, but that is not why i scored the book so low to me personally the family relations were just to close for me it made me uneasy and creeped me out when the hero and heroine of the novel described each other as (paraphrasing here) mirror images or the male/female version of themselves a couple of times the heroine even believed the hero to be her father as for her half sister urgh no to many inter family rela ...more
Feb 21, 2011 Tasha rated it it was ok
Shelves: he-loves-me
I really like Coulter, this was not her best for me but it's still worth the read. I would have maybe gone 2.5 stars. The story was a little slow for me and there was one particular aspect of this book that I didn't really care for at all. It made it hard for me to like Justin. Basically, you have the daughter who wants her family home (no male heirs) but the father knowing that the land would go to his daughters husband selected the husband for her before his death. If they don't marry neither ...more
I had forgotten how stereotypical, facile and uncomfortably sexist catherine coulter's books can be.
The heroine was really annoying from the outset. she appeared to be totally self absorbed and was simply oblivious to her mother's plight.

The hero starts off as not that bad, but is very patronising to the heroine, before he turns violent on their wedding night and rapes her
he is not over apologetic thereafter.
The side plot with the French cousin and his affair with the Half sister was tawdry
Jan 28, 2016 Faith rated it really liked it
I listened to the audiobook. Very good. Although, I'm not sure how the 1st wife thought she would get away or how that man came to be at the manor to begin with.
Dec 16, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Strong stubborn characters, flawed but completely in love. I spent much of the book just wishing I could clear their misundertandings up, but that is how most romances tend to go.
Blaze King
Nov 12, 2015 Blaze King rated it did not like it

Unlikable characters, both the hero and the heroine.
Annette Meier
Apr 22, 2014 Annette Meier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Regency was more emotional than some of the others - gave it a different feeling and tone.
S Miller
Used - Good - binding worn
Boring and meh.
Nov 02, 2012 Brandi rated it really liked it
This is my second time reading this book. I loved it the first time around (a long time ago) but this reading left me wanting. As much as I love Catherine Coulter's books , I think that I need to stick with the more recetn additons of her collection, the FBI series. I'm giving this book 4 stars for the great time I had reading it the first time and the mediocre reaction that I had this time around.
Jan 25, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I would have loved to give it 5 stars had not some of the paragraphs and points of views run together so much. This book is one of Coulter's better works. I enjoyed reading this dramatic romance immensely. All the characters were well writ and eventhough their personalities could be frustrating at times things were resolved in ways that made the frustrating moments bearable.
Apr 18, 2012 Naomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Earl of Strafford dies in battle and is daughter is forced to marry the heir to the estate if she wants to stay in her childhood home. This is a historical romance with the usual elements of struggle between the lovers. This book has been rewritten by the author but I don't think it was done very well in that regard. Escapism, which is fun sometimes.
Krista Pressey
Jun 24, 2009 Krista Pressey rated it it was ok
Arabella was a strong heroine for this book and so I found some of the things that she did strange. Why would she all of a sudden back down to the Earl. Gervaise was utter slime and I was happy to see him die. Not a book that I would typically pick for myself...I was given some from a friend. We shall see if they are all the same scenario.
Susan (the other Susan)
Is that Michael Jackson on the cover?
May 18, 2012 Amyhougardy rated it did not like it
It's been quite a while but I have read a handful of Catherine Coulter novels and I don't remember any of them being as unentertaining as this book. I admit to liking a bit of fluff romance from time to time but this book lacked an interesting plot or characters you really cared about.
Nov 07, 2015 Horsegirl275 rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2011 Heather rated it it was ok
I was extremely irritated almost the entire book. The author repeated herself CONSTANTLY. And the way she wrote made me grind my teeth.
The plot was good, if this had been someone (who wrote better) else's would have been a pretty good story.
Apr 08, 2011 Jelena rated it did not like it
I couldnt finish this book. This book is awful, something between bodice ripper and humorous (parody). The hero was a blind jerk. I always read books to the end, but this was so stupid and bored.. I never read anything worse.
  • The Italian's Revenge
  • Baby of Shame
  • The Price of Pleasure
  • Innocent Secretary...Accidentally Pregnant
  • His Wicked Promise (MacKay, #2)
  • Bought: The Greek's Baby (Harlequin Presents, #2895)
  • The Heir from Nowhere
  • A Fire in the Heart
  • Dream Lover
  • Savage Surrender
  • The Enforcer (Untamed Hearts, #3)
  • The Greek's Pregnant Lover (Traditional Greek Husbands #2; Greek Tycoons #7)
  • Vanity (V, #7)
  • Lost Lady (Lady, #2)
  • The Marcelli Bride (Marcelli, #4)
  • Beguiled (Clan Mackenzie, #4)
  • Rocky Mountain Freedom (Six Pack Ranch, #6)
  • The Man She Loves To Hate (The Eligible Bachelors, #1)

Regency (5 books)
  • The Countess (Regency, #1)
  • The Rebel Bride (Regency, #2)
  • The Duke (Regency, #4)
  • Lord Harry (Regency, #5)