All Cats Are Gray

All Cats Are Gray

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Under normal conditions a whole person has a decided advantage over a handicapped one. But out in deep space the normal may be reversed--for humans at any rate.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published August 1953)

To ask other readers questions about All Cats Are Gray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Cats Are Gray

Stephen
1.0 stars. A pretty pointless short story about a person with a very minor handicap (if you even consider color-blindness a handicap) whose unique view "saves the day" in a most uninteresting fashion. The best thing I can say about it is that it was very, very short (under 10 pages).
Dj
A short, in fact it qualifies more as a short story than most anything else, quick read. Interestingly enough, the fact that all Cats are gray has nothing to do with the color of the cat, but the fact that they see in gray scale. Still it was a wonderfully fun read and is going to lead me to reading more by the author, who somehow I overlooked growing up.

Would talk more about the book itself, but to do so would be to spoil any of the surprises that the author put forward in the book. And that w...more
Steve Nelson
I read this one from a free ePub download. It's the first work by Andre Norton that I've read and I guess I was expecting more.

This is a short story but has an interesting premise that I think could have been expanded into something more intriguing.

I liked it enough to try other works by Norton, but not enough to keep this on my iPad for re-reading.
Ralph McEwen
Salvage of a space hulk that no one could accomplish.

Audio Book MP3 downloaded from

Public Domain stories from Project Gutenberg, that are read by volunteers.
I listen to these short stories while walking to and from work.

Play Duration: 00:15:34
Read By: Gregg Margarite
Kelley
One of my favorite short shorts stories by one of my favorite authors. Quite different for its time period with a knowledgeable female protagonist and her grey cat. This is one story I wish she had expanded. There is not much detail or background but it encapsulates a beautiful little tale.
Keith
A short story by Andre Norton. Original story from Fantistic Universe Science Fiction, August - September 1953. I read it at gutenberg.org/etext/29019.
I read many Andre Norton books when I was young. This is a short introduction to her writing. A pleasant read.
Natalien
Straight-forward very short story; very sci-fi with space and special powers; not life changing or entertaining much. It might have been written as a 'confidence boost' piece for someone with (view spoiler).
Brenda Mengeling
Very short, short story with an interesting premise. The writing was snappy, and I liked the cat. It could have easily been expanded, but I don't think anything crucial is missing from the story.
Julie
My first Andre Norton story. It definitely has that "old-school sci-fi" feel - gritty and not really driven by emotion. It was good, though; I will definitely read more of her stuff.
Kat
This story had a cool idea, but I wish it had been longer. I wouuld have liked to see it fleshed out a bit more.
Uriah
An early Andre Norton story. A short story, it is an easy read and interesting. The premise could have been expanded.
Chris
What if Alien had cats?

You would get this tale.

Love this story. Short, sweet, very well written.
Clytie Siddall
As a disabled person, I love the way this story questions our definition of "able".
Lindsay
A quick read on my kindle, and quite a nice story.
Andrea
A quick, classic Norton.
Alejandra
The title caught my eye, but as soon as I was finished with page 2 I was done with this book...

It completely failed to keep my attention and I couldn't bother to read the rest of it (even though it's only 10 pages)...

My main dislike was that the story is too space-related and too little description to give youself an idea of what's really going on in there and immerse youself in the panorama, plus I didn't get to like any of the characters... *sigh* it's such a pitty because it was so promisin...more
Jen
I really liked this one. It's short, sweet and to the point. I think what I liked the most about it is the thought of a derelict pleasure craft that none could salvage because of a mystery that caused those who boarded her to vanish or flee unable to communicate what they experienced. A fortune that no one could access. Kind of romantic in a buried, cursed treasure sort of way. Also, one of the characters is a cat. What's not to love? Thank you Project Guttenburg!
Kaethe
A derelict spaceship is floating around out there, a fabulous treasure for the lucky sod who manages to capture it. What happened to the crew and passengers? What happened to those who've tried to salvage it over the years?

It reminds me of Asimov's scifi mysteries, which I dearly loved back in the day. Of course, in '53 this would have been notable for having a smart, capable, unattractive female in a starring role. And a cat.

Fun.
Anya
Freadizt
5/10. Invisible shades of gray.
Genevieve
Short story, downloaded from Project Gutenberg.
Daniel Draney
eh, it was interesting, but way too short.
CV Rick
A quick, easy read. It's the classic 50's sci-fi short with a mystery, a female protagonist (quite a step for that time), and a cat. I liked it, but felt that it needed to be longer - that there was a lot of material that remained to work with.
Henry
Fun little book, but only when you can get in the mindset of the 1950s. There are a lot of things that more modern readers will recognize as the world doesn't work that way.
Brian
A Norton short story from 1953 - with nothing to recommend it as far as I can see. It's free to download, but probably not worth your time.
John
A short story I sucked up on the Kindle. Really great Norton.
glitrbug
Feb 16, 2010 glitrbug marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Kindle
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male"...more
More about Andre Norton...
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)