Start by marking “Liquid Smoke (Noah Braddock, #3)” as Want to Read:
Liquid Smoke (Noah Braddock, #3)

Liquid Smoke (Noah Braddock #3)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  30 reviews

Private eye Noah Braddock has finally found peace in his once tumultuous relationship with Detective Liz Santangelo and has called a tentative truce with his alcoholic mother, Carolina. So when lawyer Darcy Gill demands that he look into a hopeless death row case, he's more interested in catching some waves before San Diego's rare winter weather takes hold. Then Darcy pla

Published September 6th 2011 by Tyrus Books (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Liquid Smoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liquid Smoke

Ed
Surfer dude/P.I. Noah Braddock of San Diego is approached by a defense attorney who represents his absentee father who is on death row, his execution imminent. This is the intriguing set up for a nifty hardboiled private detective yarn. Great snappy dialogue, wicked twists, and cinematic pacing also add to its considerable appeal. A new fan, I will be following the series.
Jeffrey Higgins
Absolutely the best!!
Mike
"Liquid Smoke", by Jeff Shelby, is a suspenseful novel with a Private Investigator by the name of Noah Braddock, as it's main character. Braddock is approached by Darcy Gill an attorney representing a soon to be executed Death Row Inmate in San Quentin. She, Darcy, is attempting to recruit Braddock into assisting her, but Braddock is not overly committed to helping a man convicted of murdering two men.
What Braddock finally learns after turning down the case several times is that this convicted...more
Kelly
OMG NO WAI! Did you read that ending? I was all O.O And then I was all ...but, but, but... whyyyyyyyyyy? How did this.... I just.... I... I... *catatonic silence* Seriously, guys, the entire last 3rd of the book was an emotional roller coaster ride. I was shocked, disgusted, shocked again, heart broken and otherwise thrown for a loop by the twists and turns. Well played, Jeff Shelby. Well played.

Coming into this book with no background on what had come before, I found Noah and his crew to be int...more
Tina
Noah Braddock and his girlfriend Liz Santangelo have settled into a normal life. When Noah gets an unexpected visit from a lawyer wanting his insight on a death row case, his immediate response is to turn it down. Learning that the death row inmate is the father he never met causes conflict for Noah as he decides what to do.

I was hooked immediately on "Liquid Smoke" whereas other books can take a while to reel me in. Most chapters end with some sort of cliffhanger, leaving you saying “just one m...more
Jen Rothmeyer
Noah Braddock is a gritty private investigator located out of San Diego. He has a tenuous (and apparently new) relationship with his alcoholic mother and no relationship with his absentee father whom he’s never known. Liz, his girlfriend who is a detective with the police force, and he have recently overcome some of their differences and Noah has realized how important she is to him. They’re hanging out on his patio, stalling together, when a girl catches their eye. Darcy Gill, the girl, is a la...more
Melodie
I needed to think about this one for a bit before I did any kind of review. I've really missed Noah & Carter and was glad to get another chance to read about them. But this book is very dark. Noah finds out who is father is in a way he didn't want to find out. Very bad things happen in this book and not much good happens, but this was a truly engrossing read. It's a fast read, less than 280 pages, and it feels shorter than that because it moves so fast. The other Noah Braddock books had a da...more
Richard Philbrick
How would you feel if you were told that your father, who you've never met, was about to be executed for murder? That's the dilemma facing Noah Braddock, a private investigator in San Diego. I didn't get into the book when I first picked it up. Read a couple of chapters and put it aside. When I picked it up again, being bored out of my mind, the book grabbed me. I'm not going to get into a review that might reveal spoilers so I'll just say I enjoyed the main character and his sidekick. The bad g...more
Paula Oliver
This book was definitely addicting following Noah Braddock as he goes to meet a father he never knew and end up a pawn in a deadly game of bad guys doing very bad things. Noah wants little to do with his father, but he’s been dragged in so deep because of Lawyer Darcy Gill he has no choice but continue through to the end. And it left with a questionable ending of what happened next, and where did Noah go to? What a thrilling ride of a book. Definitely enjoyed it!
Colleen Collins
I finished reading this book in San Diego, the setting of the story. I sat on the beach with my Ipad and occasionally looked out at the surfers while reading about surfers and San Diego and private eyes and investigations. I thought the story rocked. Loved the characters, the pacing, the nitty-gritty world of private eyes and murder. The ending wasn't a total surprise, but that doesn't stop me from giving this 5 stars. Can't wait for the next Noah Braddock book.
Wayne
Really enjoyed it. Found another author who I'll continue to read. Without giving anything away, not your typical no harm to the good guys story.
Oddmonster
A fittingly bleak third piece to the Noah Braddock story. Really, really hoping there's going to be another in this series.
Linda
Oct 20, 2011 Linda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery lovers adult
Recommended to Linda by: good read
Relationships and how they change as we become aware of circumstances.
A book about love,murder and hidden emotions
Anna
My favorite Noah Braddock story yet!
Lisa Cox
I'm going to really try hard not to let a spoiler slip into this review, but the events in the book are still gripping my mind, so I bet it takes a few rewrites to make sure.

This is the 3rd book by Jeff Shelby that I've read, and I continue to be impressed. This book is really powerful and takes the reader through very intense emotions. I am actually glad I read Drifting Away before I read this book because that little bit of fore-knowledge blunted the edges of the emotions that I'm not perfectl...more
Gina
Noah Braddock is a surfer living in San Diego. He is also a PI with a homicide detective girlfriend. He is drawn into a case involving a death row inmate, who happens to be his father. Searching for background on the crime his father committed brings him into danger. This is an entertaining, fast moving mystery.
Cheryl, The Book Contessa
A book with some shocking twists & turns I did not expect. Noah, the P.I. protagonist, makes some tough calls & tough choices. He is trying to remain a hardened surfer dude; however his life & events rip through Noah like a tornado. Exciting, angry, sad and challenging. 4 stars.
james
It's good but not great: a west coast mystery, my third in a row. The ending is quite weird in that the min character is forced to flee his home turf for a while. I wonder if there will be any more.
Martin Maenza
For my review please visit my blog: Martin's View: Liquid Smoke.
Jim
Aug 26, 2012 Jim added it
like that he keeps plot and characters fairly simple - not quite one-dimensional but close - easy to read fun - hard not to like Noah and Carter
LizH
Excellent series, loved the characters and am very sad to seem them go. Is this the actual end of the series, or will there more??
Bobbi
an easy read and a good detective story. keep my interest throughout and is a good selection for a short but entertaining story.
Harvey
2.5

Hard to write about this without spoilers so I think I (at least for now) won't try.
Nick
No real complaints, just lots and lots of other writers doing the same thing much better.
Paula
I did not like this book. I didn't like the language or the ending.
Candy
goo fun! Great read on the bus!
Martha

Disappointing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Penumbra
  • Double Exposure
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)
  • The Bluejay Shaman
  • The Trouble With Green
  • The Deputy
  • Innocent Monster (Moe Prager, #6)
  • Late Rain
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • Diagnosis Death (Prescription for Trouble, #3)
  • Legwork
  • County Line
  • Commune of Women
  • Getting Sassy
  • The Witch of Agnesi (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Gamble (A Charlie Parker Mystery #1)
  • Scared Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #2)
  • Revelations (Jane Perry #3)
Jeff Shelby grew up around the beaches of Southern California and graduated from the University of California at Irvine. He is the author of the bestselling Noah Braddock series (Killer Swell, Wicked Break, Liquid Smoke), the stand alone thriller Thread of Hope, and the Deuce Winters series (Stay At Home Dead), written under the name Jeffrey Allen. He lives in Dallas, TX.
More about Jeff Shelby...
Thread of Hope (The Joe Tyler Series, #1) Killer Swell (Noah Braddock, #1) Thread of Suspicion (The Joe Tyler Series, #2) Wicked Break (Noah Braddock, #2) Drift Away (Noah Braddock, #4)