Start by marking “Blood Bonds (City of Dragons, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood Bonds (City of Dragons, #1)

Blood Bonds (City of Dragons #1)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Living with Humans is never easy. They don’t do scent exchange, they don’t lick palms, and they have this thing called “personal space”.

As the first and only Kin Agent for the Center of Folk and Kin Relations, Haley Night’s job is to help keep the public safe by helping keep the peace. But after an interview with serial man-eater Niles Fury goes terribly wrong, Haley finds
Published February 16th 2012 by Gray Zone Publishing (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Bonds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Bonds

Ronda  Tutt
BRILLIANTLY AND CREATIVELY WRITTEN!!!

What an amazing draconian world Adrienne Wilder has created. The overpowering action scenes will leave you breathless and on the edge of your seat with intense excitement.

This story is not your average dragon tale full of fun filling fantasy; No however, it’s a tale between the dragons and the humans force of survival of the viciousness and cruel inhumane side that these two dangerous species create towards each other as they struggle to coexist in today’s w
Bookwatcher
Violent... cruel... heartless... shocking... inhuman... that's how I can describe the dragons in this world... and that's why I love all of them so much

In my view, 5 motives to give my full vote to this book

1)The plot is amazing

In a world were humans and dragons coexist nothing can be easy... and isn't.
Kin are feral creatures. They don't follow human (aka Chetrah in their slang) laws, they are dragons. Proud of their heritage and wild nature no Kin, aka a full blood dragon, can be be bent... ca
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
I finally finished this book this morning. I realized I was so close to the end that it would only take me an hour to finish. If you read any of my updates (I know, you all just sit around eagerly waiting my updates..NOT), you know I stopped and started this book over and over again. This would seem to be a bad thing. However, it wasn't. I just was in a book funk this past week and books with intense world building, didn't hold my interest.

And this book has very intense world building. It has a
SubterraneanCatalyst -Censorship is for the Weak
I had a hard time giving this only 4 stars! This book was far better than I expected it to be.

The things I loved:

1- World building was excellent in my opinion. Wilder doesn't give you infodump after infodump and you just learn things along the way and this is the way I prefer it.
2- Her Dragons are different- interesting- horrific, sexual and man eating.
3- In this universe the Female Dragons..or Kin are the dominant. That in itself is unusual to run across unless you're looking at specific ero
Alyssa
There's a review on GR somewhere that said this book felt more like it's about aliens than dragons, and that's exactly how I felt. There's a lot of violence and gore: flesh eating hatchling dragons, gang rape of M/M, rough/bleeding type of sex....and here I thought I was reading a stock standard PNR!

The world building is quite heavy, it's set in an alternate world where dragons mix with the human race although they take human form. Their behaviour is very reptilian, alien like (not that I know h
Absynthe
Fantastic book. Many original concepts, I love the world building. The characters are complex and fascinating. I really loved this book. And the second one was even better!!!

The way the dragons are written is unlike any other book I've read, which was a big draw for me as far as tis author goes.
Joy
An absolutely fantastic book!
I rewarded myself 25 pages each time I finished a chore. It made me want to get the housework done.

YES it is THAT good.

Can’t wait to read more from this author.
Elizabeth
This is Adrienne Wilder's first novel, and it will knock you out of your chair. It's dark urban fantasy - heavy on the dark - with a generous serving of erotic on the side. She makes it completely believable that there's a hidden part of Atlanta where dragons (or Kin) walk around in human form but without the personal and social boundaries of your average human. The main character, Haley Night, is one of those Kin, and as an agent in the Center for Kin and Folk Relations she has her work cut out ...more
Denise
The author of this book has a true gift for taking you into the world she's created and drawing you into it. While it can be a frightening and unpredictable world at times, you won't want to leave it!

This world is just like the one we live in with one catch. Major cities across the United States (and hopefully across the world in the books to come!) have areas in them that have 'dens' which house a dragon queen and her hatchery located in the seedy underbelly of the dens.

The star of the show i
Vanessa theJeepDiva
This book both shocked and amazed me. I LOVE the world that Wilder created for her Kin (dragons.) This book is so different and so unique in everything that you are left craving more of this complex world and all of its characters. This book will suck any reader in from page 1 and leave you wanting more at the words “the end.” This book has some very graphic feeding scenes, erotically hot sex, mild male on male sexual moments and dragon tearing apart another dragon in some intense fighting. The ...more
Jamie

Blood Bonds focuses on Kin, or dragons. Kin take a human form and must be "fed" regularly, in both a literal and metaphysical way. Food and sex have blurry lines in this world. Haley Night is a Kin that has been raised by humans and had "impressed" many human traits. She doesn't feel 100 percent comfortable around Kin, yet she's not human, either. She works for a government agency and is an agent who questions non-human subjects. Farley is another Kin that works with her as an informant
This book was surprisingly good. I was a little sketchy about it, but I am super glad I read it. Haley is a dragon, and it's one of those 'I'm going to be super powerful and everyone fears me.' book, kinda. Haley is soo outrageously normal. She cries, she makes bad decisions, the whole bunch. Now one thing to consider is that the dragons are relatively free with their bodies, this isn't a romance book, touch is extraordinarily important to them, you do the math. I was really glad I read it, and ...more
Rochelle
I heard so many awesome reviews about this book and how different/interesting it was, and it was different and interesting. Yet... I didnt really enjoy it, there was something missing for me, but I cant for the life of me say what it is. I dont think I really identified with the main character much, she annoyed me, she was so naive and I kept waiting for her to do something epic and stop being a victim... and the switching perspectives annoyed me too. I dont think I actually liked any of the cha ...more
Renee Rearden
Dragons have always fallen into the fantasy realm for me, and I don't usually read straight fantasy books (the whole sorcerers, wizards and magic rules are too restrictive for me). So, I rarely choose a book with dragons.

I am soooo glad I picked up Blood bonds. I fell in love with Ms. Wilder's voice (I will read every paranormal book she writes!) and the characters she creates.

Haley is a strong heroine. Though she is a dragon, she was raised by a human woman. By imprinting (bonding) with a human
Meg
Nov 10, 2010 Meg rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adult sci/fi erotic readers
This book never disappointed me. It held me and kept me wanting more. Kin are introduced and the action begins. This author, Adrienne Wilder, has more tricks up her sleeve than I've seen in a long time, and thank goodness she has only just begun her career in this genre, though it seems she is a seasoned veteran. I can't wait for more books from her and will anxiously wait for what her nimble mind brings us.
Book Sniffers Anonymous
This is a whole new take on Dragons and I thought it was perfect. Most of the dragonkin books I've read the dragons seem domesticated but short tempered. Adrienne Wilder takes a whole different spin on them though that was extremely interesting. The dragons don't act, look or behave like humans. Their way of greeting is by licking palms. Since there are very few Females every Male that Haley comes across waits for permission to touch her and when it is granted they lick her palm and always try t ...more
Kate
This book was mildly entertaining but I just didn't find it realistic enough. There was too much woo-woo magic crap used to explain everything. Don't get me wrong, I like woo-woo magic crap but only if it has boundaries, limitations and consequences. In this book, the boundaries seemed to bounce all over the place and the reasons behind personal power/dominance was a little wishy-washy. What made one Male stronger than another? I have no idea. I know age played a factor but not always. For examp ...more
NList
I am not completely sure how to rate this book. I am torn. I should start by saying this book is a little out of the norm for me, but I do like trying new things. I will also say that the plot was well thought out and VERY interesting. The characters were also fleshed out (yes, a pun) very well. They struggled...both Human and Kin. No one was really all good or bad...except the villain.

I guess I had a hard time being sympathetic towards the Kin...most are brutal/violent/sociopathic. Also, their
Lisa
Very interesting world building. good character development. well paced plot.
Karen
I liked the story. It was well-written and interesting with good characters, though there was only tiny bit of romance. On the whole, it was too gory and bloody for my tastes; limbs getting torn off everywhere, people being eaten left, right and center...

It is also a good thing there was a glossary at the beginning. Keeping track of what all the special words meant was a bit difficult.
Jen
Jul 17, 2012 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: dragons
I liked the role reversal in this one. The male love interest was as far from an alpha male as he could get, but the romance was a good one, and it gave the heroine room to be the strong one and save the dragon-y day.

I'm about to dive into the sequel. There were layout errors in the e-copy on my Kindle, so I'm hoping those aren't so prevalent in this book.
I really enjoyed this book. It's quite gritty and the take on dragons is definitely quite different to anything else I have read. The book has a lot of steamy sex scenes in it but it's definitely not a romance, so if you are looking for a happily ever after then this probably isn't for you.
Bari
I found this book to be to technical and felt like I was reading a medical book or the equivalent. This is a Kindle book that I got for free on Amazon. I managed to get through 25% of it before giving up. City of Dragons just wasn't for me.
Fraser
In most books the sex is rather gratuitous. here at least the author makes an attempt to make the sex not gratuitous, and it's an interesting take on dragons in modern times. Good characters, although they can be a little stereotypical.
Colette
3.5 - I liked this book - I already bought the next book in the series. I like the highly original take on Dragons here - these are definitely not warm fuzzy creatures, they are alien, different from humans and scary, very scary.
Lovelee
3.5* Interesting read. Female dominant Dragons. MC is not a Mary-sue, has her moments but overall not whiney. I liked that it seemed to be several stories tied into one?
*typos and missing words - needs some editing
MarieJane
Just got bored halfway through and could not carry on reading plus an over usage of the word metaphysical was starting to grate (a kindle search found the word 96 times and it felt like even more!)
Gladys
LOVED IT !! Would love to see this made into a movie with all the graphics...would blow Twilight/True Blood out of the water. I'm sooo ready for more Haley and Farley....bring it on Ms. Wilder !
Deoro
I was disappointed with the story. A lot of the writing dealt with the dragon sex but focused on the physiology which was more alien than animal. Anyway it wasn't interesting for me.
Terah Edun
I stumbled upon this book on Amazon and I'm SO GLAD I did. Fucking amazing. It's like Laurell K. Hamilton with dragons instead of Sidhe. Sequel here I come!
  • The Princess's Dragon
  • True of Heart (The Draegan Lords, #1)
  • Immortal Coil (Dragon Spirit, #1)
  • Dragon Blues
  • Dragon's Blood (Cruentus Dragons, #1)
  • Never Deal with Dragons (Never Deal with Dragons, #1)
  • Dragon Warrior
  • Size Matters (Lovers on the Fringe, #1)
  • Chosen by Blood (Para-Ops, #1)
  • Blood Moons (The Blood Series, #1)
  • Ascension (Dark Breed, #1)
  • Heartsong (Fae, #2)
  • Spectrum Skies (Spectrum Skies, #1)
  • Dragon Lust
  • Burn (Dragon Souls, #2)
  • Black Dog Blues (Kai Gracen, #1)
  • Dragon Down Under (Dragon Down Under, #1)
  • Eternal Breath of Darkness (Breath of Darkness, #1)
Georgia born and bred, I am an artist, a writer, and a general pain in the ass.
I spend most of my days working on my next book or designing cover art for other writers. For stress relief I do olympic lifting and occasionally run (but hate it). I have been in love with writing since I was very young but it wasn't until recently that I decided to pursue it as a profession.

I have experimented in se
More about Adrienne Wilder...
Seven (The Others Project, #1) Complementary Colors The First Three Rules (My Brother's Keeper, #1) Rule Four and Five (My Brother's Keeper, #2) Pain (Darwin's Theory, #1)