Seven Scary Monsters

Seven Scary Monsters

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Best-selling illustrator Howard Fine teams up with Mary Beth Lundgren to create a not-too-scary bedtime book about monsters. When the lights go off and seven scary monsters come out to make mischief, a young boy uses his imagination to eliminate them, one by one. Using monster-zapping inventions made from objects in his room, the boy finds the confidence to conquer what fr...more
Published August 18th 2003 by Clarion Books

Ina
The illustrations were dark, but my young storytime audience didn't find them scary. The text was a bit ragged, and I found it a bit difficult to get a rhythm going. The chorus of "Rick! Rack! Wrinkleshack! - Don't you (ever) dare come back! ( I had to add the ever, for rhythm) was a little too unwieldy for my audience to chime in on. Which is too bad, because kids love to be able to join in! The young boy in the story uses all sorts of creative methods of removing the monsters from his room, on...more
Romelle
A countdown of bedtime monsters told in rhyme with a refrain that is fun to read aloud: "Rick! Rack! Wrinkleshack! Don't you dare come back!" But the rhyming text wasn't a smooth read for me. Not a book I'd read over and over again. Young readers, however, may enjoy how the main character gets rid of his monsters with gadgets and things around his room. The MC cleverly uses his imagination to zap, suck...the monsters away.
Dolly
Apr 08, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
While perusing the stacks at the library, I came across this book. It looked interesting and had a short, but colorful and engaging story. But I'm not sure how my 5 year old would react and decided not to bring it home. Probably best suited for schoolage boys.
Julee
Wonderful math concept book for an interactive read aloud lesson. This one is so terrific that kids go home and retell the story to their families. When parents can quote their child quoting me, I know it is a successful read aloud lesson.
Becky
Jul 20, 2009 Becky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool and up
Cute rhyming countdown book with a twist ending -- would be good for monster storytime. Did you know that today's monsters in your bedroom get into mischief such as crashing your computer? Tsk, tsk.
Katie Casey
Checked this out at the library and it has quickly become one of Micah's favorites... currently, we have to read this at least twice a day... might have to buy this one!
Megan
Piper loved the clever rhymes and the repetition. I enjoyed the ironic twist at the end. Not such a big fan of the illustrations.
Mary
Cute and creative!
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Jorge Espada
Jorge Espada marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Penny Klostermann
Penny Klostermann marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Houses
Houses marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2012