Start by marking “Seven Scary Monsters” as Want to Read:
Seven Scary Monsters

Seven Scary Monsters

Best-selling illustrator Howard Fine teams up with Mary Beth Lundgren to create a not-too-scary bedtime book about monsters. When the lights go off and seven scary monsters come out to make mischief, a young boy uses his imagination to eliminate them, one by one. Using monster-zapping inventions made from objects in his room, the boy finds the confidence to conquer what fr ...more
Published August 18th 2003 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Seven Scary Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Scary Monsters

Savannah
Nov 06, 2016 Savannah rated it it was amazing
Seven Scary Monsters is a cute book for young and old readers. Great counting book that counts down the monsters leaving his room. He has different contraptions that lock away the monsters one at a time. But once all the monsters are gone, won't the boy be lonely?
There are many characteristics in this book for poetry. There is rhyming at the end of the lines. And there are repeated phrases that rhyme as well. Also, the story is very imaginative. A book about a boy and monsters, how can it get b
Ina
Oct 23, 2013 Ina rated it liked it
The illustrations were dark, but my young storytime audience didn't find them scary. The text was a bit ragged, and I found it a bit difficult to get a rhythm going. The chorus of "Rick! Rack! Wrinkleshack! - Don't you (ever) dare come back! ( I had to add the ever, for rhythm) was a little too unwieldy for my audience to chime in on. Which is too bad, because kids love to be able to join in! The young boy in the story uses all sorts of creative methods of removing the monsters from his room, on ...more
Romelle
Oct 03, 2013 Romelle rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
A countdown of bedtime monsters told in rhyme with a refrain that is fun to read aloud: "Rick! Rack! Wrinkleshack! Don't you dare come back!" But the rhyming text wasn't a smooth read for me. Not a book I'd read over and over again. Young readers, however, may enjoy how the main character gets rid of his monsters with gadgets and things around his room. The MC cleverly uses his imagination to zap, suck...the monsters away.
Dolly
Apr 08, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
While perusing the stacks at the library, I came across this book. It looked interesting and had a short, but colorful and engaging story. But I'm not sure how my 5 year old would react and decided not to bring it home. Probably best suited for schoolage boys.
Julee
Wonderful math concept book for an interactive read aloud lesson. This one is so terrific that kids go home and retell the story to their families. When parents can quote their child quoting me, I know it is a successful read aloud lesson.
Morgan
I was absolutely uninterested in this book. It is about a boy who tires to get rid of all the monsters out of his room at night. The book was not scary, it was not interesting, and it is abrupt. I would not recommend this for any read aloud for classroom use.
Megan
Piper loved the clever rhymes and the repetition. I enjoyed the ironic twist at the end. Not such a big fan of the illustrations.
Rebecca
Jul 20, 2009 Rebecca rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preschool and up
Cute rhyming countdown book with a twist ending -- would be good for monster storytime. Did you know that today's monsters in your bedroom get into mischief such as crashing your computer? Tsk, tsk.
Katie Casey
Oct 24, 2012 Katie Casey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-kids
Checked this out at the library and it has quickly become one of Micah's favorites... currently, we have to read this at least twice a day... might have to buy this one!
Nancy Pants
Nancy Pants rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Kerry
Kerry rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Andréa
Andréa rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2015
Jennifer Foeller
Jennifer Foeller rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2007
Bryce Wiedeman
Bryce Wiedeman rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2014
Tabi Lancina
Tabi Lancina rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2014
Jean
Jean rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2008
Kristi Swenson
Kristi Swenson rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2013
Layla
Layla rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2014
Kairi In Florida
Kairi In Florida rated it liked it
May 14, 2016
Christine Gaskins
Christine Gaskins rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2013
Maija
Maija rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Yamileth
Yamileth rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2015
Shawn Marie
Shawn Marie rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2014
Rkb 2014
Rkb 2014 rated it it was ok
May 06, 2014
Laura Komos
Laura Komos rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2012