Start by marking “Wonderful (Medieval Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wonderful (Medieval Trilogy, #1)

Wonderful (Medieval Trilogy #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  1,316 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
After too many years on the battlefield, Merrick de Beaucourt is looking forward to a simple life of peace and quiet with a docile wife at his side. But when he finally fetches his bride-to-be from a secluded English convent, he finds he needs more than his knight's spurs to bring order to his life.

When she was betrothed at fifteen to the legendary English knight she had n
Published September 1st 1997 by Pocket Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Wonderful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonderful

Blacky *Romance Addict*
This was a lovely medieval romance, a funny and yet very emotional read <3

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The story - Lady Clio has waited for six years in a convent for the return of her fiancé Lord Merrick. She kept herself busy during the years by trying to make the legendary ale that would bring strength to anyone who drank it (something like Asterix and his potion XDXD), and nursing the grudge against her bethothed who left her waiting Photobucket
Lord Merrick returns, and finds his wife to be is nothing like he expected. Well,
Booklover, Indianapolis
(Aug) 2,5* Years ago I read a short story by JB that I loved, found it hysterical. Shortly after, I bought this trilogy and the books have been languishing on my shelves ever since. When I decided to pick this up a few days ago, I was looking forward to a fun, enjoyable medieval highland read. Alas, 'twas not to be.

Lady Clio has been exiled to a convent to await her betrothed, Merrick. At first, she appears to be a quirky, strong-minded woman who will not let any man get the best of her. When h
Bark's Book Nonsense
Oct 05, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Here's another oldie but goodie I read and reviewed in 1997.

I enjoyed this book so much! WONDERFUL is enchanting, uplifting and has enough history to place you in the world she's created but not enough to feel like a boring history lesson. The details of ale making were fascinating. Her characters are lovable, and the secondary characters are well drawn and add to the fun (I can't wait for Roger's story!). Clio teaches Merrick how to laugh and love and their relationship develops slowly from one
Kerry Allen
This had the potential to be cute fluff.

Clio is a Disney Princess, complete with eccentric pet cat, eccentric pet bird, eccentric pet Druid witch, and eccentric pet worshipful orphans.

Merrick demonstrated a sense of humor that made me buy the book. ("You've never seen your bride to be? What if she has a beard?" "Then I'll teach her to shave." Good on ya, sir.)

Unfortunately, proximity to one another brought out the worst in them.

Clio becomes overwhelmed with feminine angst ("I'm a poor oppress
Cruth
Oct 13, 2013 Cruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
"It seemed that unbeknownst to her father, the lecherous bishop had chased Clio for the entire previous week and had foolishly cornered her on the staircase, where he stole a kiss and squeezed her small breasts. So when it came time to doctor him, she had smiled sweetly and stitched up his wound in the shape of three sixes, the sign of the devil." loc.204

Author: Jill Barnett
First published: 1997
Length: 4870 locations
Setting: England 1269
Sex: Reasonably explicit.

A well paced story with plenty of
Thom Swennes
Jan 24, 2017 Thom Swennes rated it really liked it
It all begins with a myth, a myth of the brew. Heather ale was reputed to make fighting lions out of all men. Long ago, before written records were kept, deep in the mountains of Wales this elixir was brewed that made the drinkers fierce and fearless. With the passing of the centuries, the formula was lost, but many tried to duplicate it; all without success.
As a very young girl, Lady Clio of Camrose is promised in marriage by King Edward I to Sir Merrick de Beaucourt, Sir Merrick, now fighting
Violet
I enjoyed a number of the more unique aspects this novel offers. The ale making, the soaps, the great descriptions. But at its heart it's kind of fluffy romance, and I didn't end up caring a whole lot about the protags. It feels like, barring the soaps and ale making, I have read this same book about a thousand times. But that's to be expected, I guess, if one reads too many historical romances. It's a very rigid genre. After awhile they do all seem to be cut and paste, and apparently them's the ...more
Barbara
I'm having trouble deciding what to rate this book. I'm sorry but I just do not agree with all the 4&5 star ratings. It was very slow starting, at about page 70 I was considering throwing it in the dnf pile. Now that I've finished it, adding that it was a quick and easy read, i'm glad that I did finish this. The good parts ; the heroine was funny and mischievous. The author did a very nice job with her.
The plot was weak, slow and the ending was not connected to the rest of the book at all.
Gaby
Jan 27, 2017 Gaby rated it liked it
It was a 3, 3.5 stars in some parts. It was mostly a fast read with some very funny dialogues and inner thoughts. I felt like the angsty part near the end did not match the most part of the book. I felt like it belonged to another book.
Emmy
Aug 21, 2012 Emmy rated it did not like it
Shelves: medieval
I'm sorry to be really critical about any book because I can imagine how a book can be a labor of love for authors, but I have to say that I did not particularly like this. I didn't hate it, but the writing was poor and I found the characters and the story inconsistent.

All of chapter 1 (granted it's only 4 pages) is used to describe Clio. I don't want to be told what a person is like, I want to learn through their actions. And then, frankly, Clio's actions throughout the book were contradictory
Mou
Feb 07, 2017 Mou rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

For me, It was a bit boring. The story was good but it was moving too slowly. Clio was one of the childish and immature heroines I have ever read. I also didn't like the ending drama, But overall it was an ok read.
This book made me feel so many things, and this is the best compliment I can give anyone EVER..!!
I could actually connect with that girl, she was so bold & courageous and yet not so sure about her worth.
However, her pride would never let her admit how scared she is, how much she wants to be appreciated, to be loved, to be held, to fit in, to be accepted the way she is.
The best part was, her character remained the same throughout the book. She didn't change just because she fell in love with
Hannah
I think "dreadful" would be more appropriate. Neither a solid historical romance nor a bodice-ripper, this book muddies around in the middle ground. Interesting historical details get lost amongst the antics of the stupid, stubborn characters and inconsistently-paced plot. I've certainly read worse books, but after this mess, I doubt I'll read anything else from this author.
♡Karlyn P♡
Started strong, but the story meandered too much. While there were a lot of cute little moments and a likable H/h, I kept waiting for the actual story to happen. I was close to giving it a four-star rating as it was entertaining despite being light on substance, but the ending felt off from the rest of the books light and humorous tone and left much unexplained. Ah well.
Erin Schneider
May 30, 2012 Erin Schneider rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-reads
This has been one of my all-time favorites for YEARS!!! My mom gave this book to me back when it first came out (1997!) - we laughed about different moments in the book, for so long! And oh, how I wished for a Merrick de Beaucourt of my own!
Love, love, LOVE this book!!!
Lori
Jul 09, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it
Just started reading it when I have a free sec on my phone. Makes me wish I had a beer in my hand.
Brookebook
Dec 07, 2015 Brookebook rated it it was amazing
Jill Barnett is the queen of light, charming romances. Her characters are always so sweet you that I just want to hug them. Wonderful is a wonderful read.
Amy
2 Stars.This story read like like a hollow impression of an actual book. There was no real depth, cardboard characters, plot elements that served no purpose and these annoying cuts away from scenes that left me wondering if a page was missing because they ended oddly, too early or right as it was going somewhere. If I had not found a free copy of this book I would have been extremely annoyed. As it is, I don't see myself trying this author again anytime soon.
Bean
Jun 29, 2017 Bean rated it liked it
Ok for a fluffy read. Started off really good, but really rushed at the end. A shame.
A.M.
Nov 13, 2016 A.M. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, e-books
Lady Clio has been languishing in a convent for six years while her knight fiance Merrick de Beaucourt fights in the Crusades. When he finally shows up to collect her she tries to make his life as difficult as possible. But he’s received a promotion after saving the King’s life in battle. He’s now an Earl and her lands have been given to him along with a budget to repair the castle. The Welsh rebels are rising and the King needs strong castles on the Welsh border.
Published September 1st 1997
***
T
Umaiya ⚡A Far Off Memory⚡
After reading this book my heart (and head) hurts too much for me to be able to sleep. That being said, it's 1:15am and I have recently taken to clonking out before 12, so imagine my distress.

I loved this book to the depths of my soul .
It made me wish so hard for a day when I no longer feel compelled to read, for a day when finally reality is so good I no longer want to escape in a story not my own.

At this very moment writing this review there is so much going inside my head, such a jumble of th
Tiffany
Mar 14, 2013 Tiffany rated it really liked it
This is actually the first book in a series. I read the third book in this series first (Wicked) by accident. It came up on a Kindle Daily Deal so I bought it. It obviously still made sense, but I think I would have enjoyed it more for knowing some of the characters better.

Summary:

Clio is the ward of the king and promised to a knight and friend of the king. He is off crusading for six long years while Clio is left waiting for him after her father dies. Their first meeting is not love at first s
Regan Walker
Oct 11, 2012 Regan Walker rated it really liked it
Delightful First in the Medieval Trilogy

This is the first in Barnett’s medieval trilogy (WILD AND WICKED follow)—and I loved it! Barnett injects humor effortlessly into a very convincing medieval tale of a stubborn, rigid knight and his innovative unorthodox lady. It wasn’t forced humor either, but naturally came out of the heroine’s personality and often the hero’s reaction. The second half of the book is more serious and looks like a more classic medieval romance. There are also some wonderful
Inka
Лейди Клео е сгодена за рицарят с прозвището Червения Лъв. Изпратена в манастир, тя трябва да чака 4 години, докато нейният годеник дойде, за да я отведе в дома й и да се омъжи за нея. След като обаче минават 6 години, и той още не е пристигнал, Клео се бои, че рицаря е забравил за съществуването й. В манастира, тя се учи как да вари ейл и смята да открие рецептата за прословутия пиренов ейл, който по рецепта на друидите е давал неземна сила на онзи, който пие от него (поне така описано си го пр ...more
Sandcastles
Sep 12, 2016 Sandcastles rated it liked it
Shelves: medieval-romance
Two and a half stars. The book is funny in a "the three stooges" kind of way... The heroine is not one of my favourites... I never like it when a hero falls in love just because of the lady's looks... I don't know what else is there to recommend Clio.. She comes across as a dumb blonde... Her head full of fluff and ideas that aren't too smart. The middle of the book is like taming of the shrew and the end like something from Nicolas Sparks books.
Linda
The secret of WONDERFUL is in its goofiness. Think of a frothy top on a whipped latte. It is not a historical romance in the true sense because of how the heroine behaved. What occurred within the pages would have most likely never have happened in 13th century Great Britain.

For Lady Clio of Camrose it was about breaking the rules. Somewhat spoiled by her widowed father, she was left orphaned at the age of fifteen. King Edward, her official guardian, betrothed her to Lord Merrick de Beaucourt.
Christa Schönmann Abbühl
This was part of a Boxed Set my cat accidentally bought while sitting down on my Kindle.
At first I was pleasantly surprised. I had a hard time with historical Romance lately, and this one at least got my interest. The heroine was rather sweet, and I liked the funny parts, and all that stuff about making ale.
I did finish the book. But. It did not really give me what I wanted. I am not entirely sure what was missing for me. Maybe it was the comparison with some of my favorite classic romances wit
Jen
Jul 28, 2014 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Clio is possibly the most childish adult in existence. I enjoy stories where the heroine is independent and self-sufficient and that's exactly what I thought would happen in this story. Clio starts off as rowdy and tomboyish with lots of fire to contrast her blonde locks. It's fun and witty at first, but when she moves in with Merrick, she turns into a spoiled brat. Merrick somehow finds this charming and lets her continue her brattish ways. Her behavior would have been redeemed and/or explained ...more
Bunga
Jul 12, 2013 Bunga rated it really liked it
Shelves: medieval
Jill Barnett ini tipe author yang bukunya kocak di awal,romantis di tengah, angsty menjelang akhir, dan di epilognya happy ending. Tiga novelnya yang saya baca (termasuk ini), saya selalu meneteskan airmata begitu mulai membaca bagian-bagian akhirnya.

Wonderful, agak terasa tipikal--seperti novel medieval pada umumnya, tapi ada beberapa hal yang membuat novel ini menyenangkan untuk dibaca.Salah satunya adalah heronya yang lebih dulu ngaku cinta ketimbang heroinenya. So sweet. Merrick di sini buk
RedRedtheycallmeRed
Dec 30, 2015 RedRedtheycallmeRed rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

I read Wicked, the third book in this trilogy, a few years ago and I really liked it. I had the same reaction to this one until the last quarter of the book. It seemed like all the exciting stuff near the end happened "off-scene" and then just sort of got explained.

I liked Clio right away. Another reviewer said that she didn't behave as a woman of that time period would, and I guess that is why I liked her. I don't want to read about some meek woman who blithely goes along with whatever
Madison Mega-Mara...: #55-56 Wonderful/Wild by Jill Barnett 1 4 Mar 02, 2015 08:22PM
  • Rough Wrangler, Tender Kisses
  • The Secret Swan
  • The Deed (Deed, #1)
  • Fairest of Them All
  • Blue Moon (The Runaways, #3)
  • Through a Dark Mist (Robin Hood, #1)
  • By Possession (Medieval #1)
  • The Marriage Prize (Medieval Plantagenet, #3)
  • The Dream Hunter
  • The Copeland Bride
  • The Rose of Blacksword
  • Golden Surrender (Viking, #1)
  • The Education of Mrs. Brimley (Chambers Trilogy, #1)
  • The Conqueror
  • Lord of Midnight (Dark Champion, #4)
  • To Ruin the Duke
  • A Knight to Remember (Blood Sword Legacy, #3.5)
  • Knight of Seduction
FACEBOOK Jill Barnett Books
Jill Barnett was born and raised in Southern California, in the kind of idyllic coastal town the Beach Boys made famous. But as a young girl she spent plenty of summers on her grandparents’ farm in Texas.

A gap in jobs in her mid-thirties sent Jill back to college and working toward her Masters degree. “I intended to finish school and teach, perhaps write college textboo
More about Jill Barnett...

Medieval Trilogy (3 books)
  • Wild (Medieval Trilogy, #2)
  • Wicked (Medieval Trilogy, #3)

“I was certain I told you the king was coming.”

She planted her hands on her hips. “You did not tell me the king was coming.”

“I remember telling you there would be only one more delay until we would marry. That day on the battlements. I remember it distinctly.”

“Aye, you did say that, but you failed to mention that the ‘one thing’ was the king of England.”

“Well, now you know,” he said casually, as if he were speaking of the time of day or the color of the sky and not something as important as a royal visit. “He is coming tomorrow,” he added. “For our wedding.”
2 likes
“It seemed that unbeknownst to her father, the lecherous bishop had chased Clio for the entire previous week and had foolishly cornered her on the staircase, where he stole a kiss and squeezed her small breasts. So when it came time to doctor him, she had smiled sweetly and stitched up his wound in the shape of three sixes, the sign of the devil.” 1 likes