The Last Treasure

The Last Treasure

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  468 ratings  ·  65 reviews
For thirteen-year-old Ellsworth, family has always been just him and his dad. That's all Ellsworth thought he wanted. But then the dreams start. Dreams of houses surrounding a beautiful green square. Suddenly a letter arrives, inviting Ellsworth to a home he doesn't remember: the Square in Smith Mills, New York. A home with a hidden treasure only a child can uncover, the l...more
Published November 18th 2004 by Scholastic Book Services (first published 2003)

Sophia
- The Last Treasure by Janet S. Anderson

- One of the main characters is Ellsworth Smith, but his dad calls him Zee, and another main character is Jess. The two of them are distant cousins and haven't met before.

- In the story The Last Treasure by Janet S. Anderson a 13-year-old boy named Ellsworth Smith lives in a old broken down motel with his dad. He receives a letter on his 13th birthday from his distant cousin Elizebeth asking him to come home to the square where the rest of the Smith famil...more
Gwen
An interesting story with likable characters. 13-year-old Ellsworth comes from a long line of Smiths from Smith Mills New York, a family with secrets, resentments, history, and love. Ellsworth goes to the Square, the ancestral home of his family, to search for the last hidden treasure. As the story unfolds, we learn about the family and why they became the way they are. Working with his distant cousin Jess, Ellsworth sets out to find the treasure and unravel the mystery of the family's estrangem...more
Susan VanKirk
My nine-year-old granddaughter thought I should read The Last Treasure because she really loved it. I haven't read a child's book for some time so I tried it. It was very good, and I had a hard time putting it down. It was a mystery that contained good lessons too...the value of family, the idea that we should help each other through this life, and how courageous we can be when we have to be. Quite a good little preteen book!
Marisa
The Last Treasure is a very well written book and i know if is something i would have loved when i was younger also.
Liora
Thirteen year old Ellsworth has strange dreams about houses surrounding a Square, and then he receives a letter from a relative asking him to come visit because they all need his help. His withdrawn father says that he unable to return to the home of his childhood, but he allows Ellsworth to go. Once there, Ellsworth meets the family who live in the 12 houses that surround the square that were all built by an ancestor named James Matthew who had 13 children. According to family legend, he hid 3...more
Ruhama
Thirteen year old Ellsworth has never had much family—he and his dad have moved around a lot—so he’s surprised when he gets a birthday card with a plea to come to Smith Mills (NY) from his aunt Elizabeth. Ellsworth’s father had left the family homestead because of a fight with his father, and resists having his son go back, but finally allows him to go. Ellsworth is needed to find the third and final treasure John Matthew Smith (family patriarch) hid many years ago. His cousin Jess joins him in...more
Amanda
This book was hard to get in to. It was a really slow read and I only finished it because I wanted to know what the treasure was. It was more about the Smith family and their history than a treasure. The story jumps from one scene to another without explanation. One chapter will be about Ellsworth, then there is a random chapter about something that happened years ago to one of the random family members. It was an interesting idea for a story but the author didn't keep the story flowing. I admit...more
Cindy
Aug 23, 2008 Cindy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Cindy by: found it at the library
Shelves: mysteries, teen, blog
Ellsworth, also known as Zee, has lived with his father ever since he can remember, moving from place to place, never settling down. But on his 13th birthday, Ellsworth gets a postcard from his aunt, like always, and this time, it contains an address and an invitation. Ellsworth want to go. It's time to get a few answers about his family and why they are alone like this. So he takes his birthday money and sets off to New York.

Once he gets there, Ellsworth is surrounded by relatives he knows litt...more
Kathryn
Nov 13, 2008 Kathryn rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tweens? Maybe?
Recommended to Kathryn by: Waidinthewater
Shelves: childrens-books
I was really excited about this book because it came with a good recommendation (sorry Becca) and I'm always looking for good children's books.

I know this book is intended for young adults of the junior high or maybe high school age, but to me even knowing that the writing is not that impressive. I won't give a synopsis of the plot because I'm sure others have, but I was disappointed by the development of the characters and the plot in this story. I don't feel that Anderson really did a good jo...more
Jodi
This was a wonderful mystery book filled with suspense and adventure. The book starts slow but wow once I got into it I read the whole thing and could not put it down. The main character hears from his father very little about his relatives. He knows that every year on his birthday he gets a birthday card from some aunt that he has never met. He gets one this year that will change his life forever. He goes to visit this aunt and learns about his past and his mother, whom his father will never ta...more
Stoltzfuslily
This is my favorite book. I love it!! It is so interesting!❤️I have read it 8 times and am on my 9 time right now. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves fiction.
LuAnn
Very different plot about a family who has lived around a square for generations in 10 houses built for the 10 living children of the original family with three other houses built for deceased children that contain treasure. Two of the youngest members, invited from distant homes to come and find the last treasure, encounter strained family relationships and Quakers, an old diary and a painting that contains the clue they need. It's interesting how the author has the kids run out on conversation...more
Katie
Very entertaining, perfect for young adult readers! Good story
Jenn
Apr 05, 2012 Jenn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I thought this book was very cute and adventurous. It gave me the impression the treasure was not going to be a physically real thing but a family orientated "Love" treasure find. It turned out to be both. Sorry, I'm not going to spill the beans on what the actual treasure is, you will have to read it to find out. It is about a 2-3 day read, unless you are a fast reader. It took me about a week to read because I have been moving into a new house within the past week. But if you want a quick fun...more
Lorena
The Last Treasure started out well, the story of the father/grandfather/son relationship had a diversity of angles that made it very interesting, the element of the treasure hunt made it gripping, unfortunately the story as it unraveled lost it's magic and neither Gabriella or I were satisfied with last third of the book. Gabriella was extremely disappointed with the nature of the treasure it self and thought the ending was a bad one. Too bad, the story could have gone to better places.
Michelle BF
Great suspense book for boys/girls. This clean read is a book I like to recommend to those kids who are reading above their age/grade level. Ellsworth and Jess team up to find their family's treasure while Ellsworth is visiting his family's home. The mystery includes a touch of fantasy and some family eccentricity. The mystery includes a puzzle so those who like Blue Balliet's mysteries (I do!) will like this as well.

Last Treasure
Anastasia
This was a cute read with a well thought out mystery story layered through multiple pseudo-historical accounts and a great sense of location. The characters don't develop much except in relation to their family members, but the narrative is more important than the characters. There's a bit of a ghost story feeling to it that never really reaches fruition, so the rare fantastical moment is just that.
Rachel
Apr 08, 2008 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Rachel by: roomie
A fiction book written about the strength of family and how knowing where we come from helps our sense of who we are.

I really enjoyed reading a book that speaks about how important family is. And doesn't do it in a preachy manner.

This book is a mystery story, that intertwines family history with familial relationships. I got spirit bumps at the end of it. SUCH a good story!

Suzi
I saw this book on my GR friend, Barbara Lovejoy's list, then came across it in the library. It was a sweet read about family and belonging, and I enjoyed it. Definitely made me want to live in a square with all my sisters and their families nearby, and have a grassy sward behind! (Sward is my new word from this book!)
Jordan
this was a good book about relationships and bridging generation gaps. It was also a good reminder of ancestors and their legacies - what they leave us how we should handle that treasure. Overcoming family feuds, grudges and finding new friendships, this was a fun book to read. It is juvenile fiction, and a quick read.
Alyn
I wish I wrote this book. There's a family tree in the front! The members of the extended Smith Family come together 3-5 generations after the original houses were built. It has a theme of family history, a dash of adventure, and a puzzle to solve. Fun book, although it is a kids book, maybe ages 8-13 or so.
Megan
this was another one of my favorite books that i had and it was very siffrent to waht i thought i would be i thought it would be a childrens book but it was very adventurous and exciting and i guess that if you think something is going to be lame and it turns out good than you kind of get shocked that.
Joni
I would give this book 3.5 stars. I thought it was a fun book about family. The names were a little confusing at times to figure out who they were talking about, but other than that, I really liked this book. Maybe fun for a family read a loud. Kind of a genealogy story.
Haley
This was a fun book, the kind that, had I read it growing up, it would probably be one of my favorite books. This is one that I think I will remember and read to my kids, or give to them to read.
I really liked it, and I would definitely recommend it to adults and kids alike.
Alex Behounek
I have read this book more than 3 times since I was a little kid until now and every time I read it I find interest in it. Somehow it keeps me interested each time I read it and it is a book everyone should read to their kids since it will entertain all age groups.
Kris Wells
Cute story with a great message but it was much wordier than it needed to be. I would have enjoyed it more if it was 100 pages shorter. Nick and I read it together and we did enjoy discussing the meaning behind the "treasure". Pleasant but not riveting.
Jenny
This was a well written book, it was a little suspenceful without being scary, it made you feel like it could get scary any minute, but it never really did. My 8 year old thought it was a fun book, we read it outloud together.
Missy
This was a truly amazing book! I highly recommend this for anyone and everyone to read. It has a little bit of everything in it - mystery, intrigue, ghosts, history... it's just a true "treasure." Possibly my new favorite book!
*JayJay*
May 17, 2008 *JayJay* rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all book lovers
Ag reat read for a long, rainy day where you can escape to the world of a fantastic treasure that you cna help find while realizing more about yourself and your life and how a little goes a long way in changing it.
Vicki
May 15, 2012 Vicki rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: teen
Ellsworth is having strange dreams. He is invited to the family estate along with his cousin Emily, they try to solve the 3rd tresasure mystered related to their great, great grandfather and the house in the estate. OK
  • Shakespeare's Spy (Shakespeare Stealer, #3)
  • My Daniel
  • Spacer and Rat
  • Shakespeare Bats Cleanup (Shakespeare Bats Cleanup, #1)
  • Jackie's Wild Seattle
  • Team Moon: How 400,000 People Landed Apollo 11 on the Moon
  • The Boy Who Saved Baseball (Cruz de la Cruz, #2)
  • The Barn
  • Overboard
  • Daphne's Book
  • Tiger, Tiger
  • Snatched (Bloodwater Mysteries, #1)
  • Bull Run
  • Converting Kate
  • Grounded
  • Conspiracy (Lady Grace Mysteries, #3)
  • The Islander
  • Playing for Keeps
Going Through the Gate The Last Treasure Sunflower Sal The Key Into Winter The Roteks (Mask Super Adventure)

“SMITH TREASURE," she read softly. "It was the kids, right? That's what they were trying to say. In the house. Everywhere. The SMITH TREASURE was the kids.” 1 likes