Start by marking “Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1)

Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,729 Ratings  ·  490 Reviews
A secret government unit is formed under the oversight of Adam Harrison, famed paranormal investigator. The six members he’s gathered know a little of the otherworldly — each has honed a psychic talent of their own.

Jackson Crow, part English, part Cheyenne, heads the group. Haunted by his experience with an ancestral ghost who saved his life as a child, and the recent murd
Audio CD, 9 pages
Published March 29th 2011 by Brilliance Audio (first published March 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Phantom Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phantom Evil

Magdalena
Jan 09, 2016 Magdalena rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, read-2015
What I was after was a lighthearted fun paranormal book, an easy book to read when you are in need of somethingfrivolous after some heavy dark books. What I got was a book that lacked any depth whatsoever. Characters that are not memorable, two main characters that at first doesn't seem to really go along, but end up in bed after a day or two. And, then they have some more sex during the book just because why the hell not. I mean they are working, trying to figure out if a woman was murdered or ...more
Ariel
Nov 25, 2011 Ariel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is primarily a romance novel. When the two main characters fall into bed within 48 hours of meeting and there are two explicit sex scenes it is easy to see what the focus is on. I wish I had realized Mira is an imprint of Harlequin before I bought it.

I picked this book up for the paranormal mystery that the blurb promises, in post Katrina New Orleans no less. There is upfront an emphasis on the Senator's wife being in a locked and security alarmed house when she supposedly jumps from her ba
Keri
I knew if I kept giving HG enough changes that eventually I would find one of her books that I liked. She writes paranormal with romance and that is a winning combination for me. Unfortunately in the past it didn't always work out. Really liked Krewe of Hunters and thought Jackson was a good fit. He came off as arrogant sometimes, but for an alpha male that isn't all bad. I think him and Angela jumped into bed a little quick, but I thought this Krewe was going to span several books, but it looks ...more
Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated"
A good story, but certainly not one of Heather's best. I'll keep with the series, though, since I really like Heather Graham.

Part of my antipathy with this book is that it was set in New Orleans. No offense to New Orleans, but I really don't think the town is a tenth of what people say it is. And, I get really tired of books set in New Orleans that read like part of it is written by the NO Tourist Board.

That being said, I really like the characters in this book. She is very good at mixing supern
The Book Maven
I wanted to like this book, I truly did. It has some great potential: a crew of ghost hunters! Set in New Orleans! But somehow, the author's matter-of-fact rendering of NOLA makes you feel as though you may as well be reading about Peoria, Illinois. Descriptions of scenery and local color are sterile, rather than evocative. The story goes too fast to build up an effective feeling of suspense. And two of the main characters hop into bed pretty quick, when frankly there was very little believable ...more
Michelle♥
So I saw this in the library under the "Hot Picks/New for May!" banner. And I picked it up. Man am I sorry I did!

Ok, so the prologue really creeped me out. Like that was just plain SCARY! And I am not one for the horror genre at all!

This kind of reminded me a little of The Shining and The Haunting, you know that moviewith Catherine Zeta-Jones? Yeah, totally cheesy, right?

So what actually drew me in was the fact that the federal government sets up this investigation team, like an advanced tech-sa
⊱ Irena ⊰
2.5

Adam Harrison, an investigator who worked for "the government where the government could not act officially", gathered a group of special individuals and formed a team whose task would be to investigate strange cases.
Angela Hawkins, Whitney Tremont, Jake Mallory, Jenna Duffy and Will Chan are part of that team and he called Jackson Crow to lead them. Crow doesn't refuse to believe in supernatural, but he would rather carefully check everything else first. Adam knows that Jackson Crow won't
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
When I got this home from the library, I noticed that it's published by a division of Harlequin. Oh dear... I read the blurb and was all "Huh. Secret government agency hunting ghosts. Could be interesting." The minute I saw who the publisher was, my estimations went downhill.

But it wasn't as bad as I expected. Sure, there was the obligatory "I've only known you 24 hours but I feel like we're soulmates, let's boff" side to it, which did very little to advance the plot. Also, there's not enough mo
Beanse
Nov 02, 2011 Beanse rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bloody-bad-books
I read this book but because I had previously read Heather Graham's "Flynn Brothers Triolgy" A series that I truly enjoyed. (Until the very end of the last book. Where it appeared to me that Ms. Graham smoked a fat one and wrote the ending. Not a true story... just a theory.) That part aside, it was fun to read.

Te plot was not interesting at all. The characters are constantly over explaining everything. And the ending was just really terrible.

When I was reading this book, I swear with my right h
Marlene
Aug 24, 2014 Marlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

After reading The Hexed last week, and loving it, I couldn’t resist going back to the beginning of this series and trying to figure out how the author got here from there.

Besides, I’m a terrible completist and it was driving me a bit nuts that I had so much fun with book 13 in a series and hadn’t gotten around to books 1-12. Now that I’ve read book 1, I can see that this series is going to be my “treat” reading for a while.

Phantom Evil is the first book in
Criticalmick
Jan 25, 2012 Criticalmick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pheeble!*

The Heather Graham who writes bestsellers may be "The Original Heather Graham," but I am willing to bet that Heather Graham the actress could toast generic white bread with more style and engagement than this sorry excuse for a thriller.

Graham has churned out an average of five novels every years for the past thirty years. How much originality is left? Imagine a high school junior staggering down Bourbon Street. "Gee whiz, I shouldn't have drank those six hand gernades. And all those sh
Bonnie

Phantom Evil is the first in a new series by Heather Graham; the Krewe of Hunters.

The Storyline
When the Louisiana state Senator’s wife is found dead after an apparent suicide, her husband requests a closer investigation of sorts when he suspects that ghosts were involved in her death. Jackson Crow heads the paranormal investigation team which consists of him and 6 other members who each have their own psychic abilities. The investigation seems to show that the Senators wife didn’t in fa
Gawelleb
Nov 05, 2015 Gawelleb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai beaucoup beaucoup beaucoup aimé!
On suit la mise en place d'une équipe du FBI chargé d'élucider les affaires entourées de paranormal. Ici, une mort non élucidée dans une maison hantée.
C'est un mélange Criminel minds et "les chemins de l'étrange" pour celles qui connaissent. La romance est anecdotique, j'ai préféré l'esprit d'équipe qui commence à se dessiner.
Carol Storm
I really tried to like this book. But I just couldn't get into it! Basically it's like a very slow and long and boring episode of SCOOBY DOO, without the humor and the Scooby Snacks.

The Nicest Ghostbusters in the World go to New Orleans, where there's a house full of Evil. The head ghost is named Melvin C. Neutron, or Milton B. Marshmallow, or something. He murdered a bunch of little kids with an axe back in the 1870's. And over the years, dozens of people have wandered into the house, slipped
Jeff Barber
Jan 18, 2012 Jeff Barber rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I hate to not like a piece of art, whether it be a book, a painting, or music. But sometimes, the art just doesn't touch me. Or worse, the piece will feel contrived, or mundane, or even feel like the artist didn't put a lot of effort into it.
I'm not going to blame Heather Graham of not putting effort into this book, but I will say that it didn't really ever grab me. From the start we get some interesting characters, but sadly, the more we learn about them the less interesting they become.
We hav
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
It’s been a long, long time since I’ve read a book that I didn’t want to put down, and then thought about when I couldn’t read it. “Phantom Evil” is that kind of book. It called to me, tempting me to stop doing those things I must and instead sit and read. I read late into the night and resented the fatigue that finally caused me to set the book aside. I was simply intrigued by this book, both by the premise and by the characters.

Ms. Graham first and foremost did a great job with her group of s
Anna
Heather Graham has been on my authors to read list for a long time now. I wish I would have started earlier than I did. Phantom Evil is an excellent story. It's a wonderful mixture of paranormal, romance and mystery. I admit the "secret government unit" almost put me off, but the Krewe is exciting mix of people. I look forward to reading more of the books. I definitely recommend this one. I know some people might be put off by how many books are in the series, but just by reading the first book ...more
Cynthia
Pass the beignets and latte please.

This a light hearted book about a grim topic…..murder. Jackson Crow heads a team of uniquely talented paranormal investigators. They head to New Orleans to solve the murder of a local senator’s wife. The local police have ruled her tumble from the upstairs balcony of their reportedly ghost infested mansion a suicide sighting her grief over the recent death of her young son. There is also a love story between Jackson and his co-worker Angela.

The book is enterta
Cruth
Author: Heather Graham
First published: 2011
Length: 4871 Kindle locations
Setting: Contemporary New Orleans
Sex: Explicit, reasonably frequent
Hero: FBI and new head of special investigative team, ghost hunters
Heroine: Police officer. Sees ghosts.
Includes: New Orleans Recipes - Jambalaya and "hurricane"

The author's thought process: Just in case I never write another book I had better make sure I add everything...
- Cults
- Ghosts
- Prescience
- Serial killers
- New Orleans history culture food
- Some roma
☆.。.:*・°☆Love2Read♡HEAs☆.。.:*・°☆ {Anne}
Rated 4.6 "Haunting" Stars

While I've read a couple of other Heather Graham books, this is my first series of hers I've begun. I have to say that I feel I'm off to a good start. Hopefully, the next few will be terrific too. Just like J.D. Robb's, In Death series, I'm getting a late start. Only 4 years, that's not too bad. I've also read quite a few of her books written as Shannon Drake and thoroughly enjoyed them.

After reading Ceremony of Death by Ms. Robb, which is all about white & black ma
Thenia
The introduction to a newly formed elite team, later dubbed the "Krewe of Hunters", who specialize in weird, possibly paranormal cases.

The leader of the team, Jackson Crow, is a skeptic, despite his talents, but is willing to be persuaded if proof is provided. His team consists of Angela Hawkins, a gifted former police officer, and "the kids", a group of youngsters with different talents each.

Their first case involves a senator and his wife's suspicious death that he wants them to investigate. (
Mara
Jun 03, 2014 Mara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
I think this is the first "romantic suspense" (or the like) I ended up liking. As I often complain, the problem with this sub-genre is that you (I) expect mysteries, crime and thrillers and you (I) get a contemp romance. Often without any serious study of the other half of the equation.

Here at least the focus of the story is really a murder (and the serial killer is basically absent!), and the romantic thread is just a part of it. I'm not saying that the investigation and the setup are problem-f
Bambi Unbridled
This is my first read from Heather Graham, and I wanted to get a book or two of hers under my belt before heading to the RT Convention next month. I saw that this series is set in New Orleans, so I knew it was a good place to start. Heather did a great job at infusing the story with the city's history, legends and customs. When done correctly, New Orleans can become a character of its own and I just love those types of settings where the city is brought to life.

So the Krewe of Hunters series is
Stormi (Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my!)
Goodness, why have I waited so long to start this series! I have wanted to read it for a long time but just kept putting it off. I am trying to read more of my own books and so I grabbed this one up and I am so glad that I did.

I was already a fan of Heather Graham before as I have read some of her other books and I am now an official Krewe of Hunters lover. :) I went out and bought the next one on ebook same day I finished this one..lol. I heard they were good on audio so I added narration to gi
Tzeni
Jan 26, 2016 Tzeni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Written for my blog, Bookworming 101**

I will begin by saying that even though this book is completely different from my usual reads I really enjoyed it, so it should be even more thrilling for the fans of the genre.

The book description does a very good job in saying what’s needed without revealing too much. A team of individuals who have somehow exprerienced the paranormal, was put together to investigate what most believed to be a suicide, but others the result of a haunting. A rather typical
I am looking forward to more books with this new team, as I do enjoy the paranormal investigator series, though I hope that the rest of the titles in the series are more like her previous works and perhaps more polished editorially.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Heather Graham, but this book had some issues. I felt like it needed one or two more visits from the copy editor before it went out to publication to make it equal to her other works. There was a major slip up midway into the book wh
Ashley Dawn
Oct 12, 2011 Ashley Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After his last case, Jack Crow expects to get a desk job with mainly paperwork pushing responsibilities. Instead, Adam Harrison gives him the task of heading a new unit, with six unique members who are to solve the murder or suicide of a senator’s wife. Jack is a skeptic and yet he has had several unexplainable experiences that have saved him and others.
The senator is convinced his wife didn’t commit suicide as the police have determined, though they recently suffered the loss of their young son
Y
Tina
A spooky Ghostbusters meets FBI crime thriller.

Jackson Crow is recruited by a powerful Gov't agent to head up an elite FBI unit. Jackson and his team are hand selected because they all have a touch of extra-sensory perception of the ghostly sort.

We meet Jackson the leader who is a skeptic even while he's had his own ghostly encounters. There is also Angela, a cop and the lone survivor or a plane crash when she was a child. She actually is a ghost magnet and also acts as a conduit to release res
Kristen
Heather Graham is a solid author, who writes entertaining, exciting books with a supernatural twist. They are dependable interesting stories with good characters and decent suspense.

This was the first in a new series by Graham about an eclectic band of ghost-hunters formed into a team by shadowy paranormal expert Adam Harrison. The team will go wherever they are needed to investigate situations that may involve paranormal happenings.

In this case, the wife of a U.S. senator, distraught over the r
  • Beneath A Blood Red Moon (Alliance Vampires #1)
  • The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen, #2)
  • Slow Burn
  • Draycott Everlasting: Christmas Knight & Moonrise (Draycott Abbey #7.5 & 6)
  • Out of Body (Court of Angels, #1)
  • Cold Ridge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1)
  • Dead and Kicking (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #3)
  • Haven (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #13)
  • Undercover Lover (Covert Attractions, #2)
  • Copper Beach (Dark Legacy, #1)
  • Love on the Range
  • Blackout
Also published as Heather Graham Pozzessere and Shannon Drake.

New York Times and USA Today best-selling author Heather Graham majored in theater arts at the University of South Florida. After a stint of several years in dinner theater, back-up vocals, and bartending, she stayed home after the birth of her third child and began to write, working on short horror stories and romances. After some tria
More about Heather Graham...

Krewe of Hunters (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Heart of Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #2)
  • Sacred Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #3)
  • The Evil Inside (Krewe of Hunters, #4)
  • The Unseen (Krewe of Hunters, #5)
  • The Unholy (Krewe of Hunters, #6)
  • The Unspoken (Krewe of Hunters, #7)
  • The Uninvited (Krewe of Hunters, #8)
  • The Night Is Watching (Krewe of Hunters, #9)
  • The Night Is Alive (Krewe of Hunters, #10)
  • The Night Is Forever (Krewe of Hunters, #11)

“I believe that there's more to life than what we see.” 6 likes