Start by marking “Born of the Sun (Dark Ages of Britain, #2)” as Want to Read:
Born of the Sun (Dark Ages of Britain, #2)

Born of the Sun (Dark Ages of Britain #2)

In this beautifully executed continuation of The Road to Avalon, her earlier depiction of sixth-century Britain, Wolf tells the story of Niniane, a Celtic princess, and Ceawlin, bastard son of the King of the West Saxons. Eighty years after the death of Arthur, the Celts are disorganized, drifting away from the cities built by the Romans. The vigorous Saxons, on the other ...more
Published March 5th 1991 by Onyx (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Born of the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born of the Sun

Misfit
Second in an excellent Trilogy. This book is absolutely outstanding. I could not put it down and wanted to read the whole thing over again as soon as I finished. This book is filled with history, love, treachery, intrigue, a truly evil villainess, battles and more. Ceawlin and Niniane are a wonderful couple -- I enjoyed the pairing of the pagen Saxon who would be high king and the Christian British Princess Niniane. Learning to make a marriage with such two opposing lifestyles and customs, the h ...more
Joanne
4.5 stars -- Wonderful mix of historical details and love, war, treachery, and relationships during the times of the Saxons (6th century). Great love story of the struggles and joys of a couple from opposing backgrounds -- Niniane, the Christian Celtic princess, and Ceawlin, the pagan Saxon prince. Loving these gems from the past.
Katrina
Jun 06, 2011 Katrina rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical, cheese
Estara
Dec 30, 2011 Estara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Estara by: one of my favourite historical romances with the emphasis on history - 6th century Britain at that.
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2012
P.
Oct 21, 2016 P. rated it it was amazing
An excellent read, very well written and plotted. The characters are good, but subsumed by the plot to a certain extent and therefore not as compelling as they, no doubt, are supposed to be. A long read, but generally rewarding.
Lorraine
Aug 06, 2014 Lorraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who are interested in Dark Age Britian.
Great book ! This, the 2nd book of the trilogy of Dark Ages of Britian, is a dynamic book. I read The Road to Avalon #1 of this trilogy. The Road to Avalon is about Arthur and how he became High King and eventually managed to produce an era of peace between the British and the Saxons. I am pretty well-versed in the Arthur stories, but after King Arthur, what takes place is a blank. Not any more is the time after Arthur a blank. Born of the Sun, the 2nd book of this trilogy, has filled in the bla ...more
M A
Aug 08, 2011 M A rated it it was amazing
This novel made a tremendous impression on me. I'm anxiously awaiting it in ebook. This is one of the few paperbacks I ever owned I ended up "reading to pieces."

This is an excellent, epic novel describing the struggles between Britons and Saxons in the years following Arthurian rule. Wolf fleshes out an intriguing world, sparkling characterization, and a touching love story between Ninian, a British princess taken captive and betrothed to the Saxon heir apparent and Ceawlin, the prince's half-br
Shwetha
Aug 21, 2014 Shwetha rated it it was amazing
amazing!!! this story stayed in my mind for days after reading it.a good story is one that makes an impact and this one did... like all joan wolf stories.
what can i say? loved the hero, loved the heoine, loved the story.wish i could get my hands on another book like this one
Kelly
Dec 15, 2007 Kelly rated it liked it
Hm -- more bodice-ripper than straight historical fiction, but I have a soft spot for Joan Wolf. Let's see -- post Arthurian time, the Saxons are taking over, oh my!
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
I started this book back in 2012 and then don't know what happened that I didn't finish it. I loved it. It is a historical romance and the second book in a trilogy, but the books are in this case 80 years after Arthur's death and the next book is several hundreds years later. This is the true dark ages of Britain which is a time where there are almost no written records (most of the people were illiterate and the monks who later recorded some history were not in Britain yet). The only records ar ...more
Favirah
Mar 14, 2017 Favirah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ancient Celtic and Anglo Saxon history

I love history and this book (though the plot is fiction) is full of it.

If you love ancient history of Britain, and romance, you'll love this book
Helen
Jun 28, 2012 Helen rated it liked it
Shelves: historical-novel
I read this when it first came out and several times since. I do not think it is as good as Road to Avalon but it is still fun. The political intrigue is interesting and it made me want to investigate the real history. Joan Wolf did not finish Ceawlin's story but I will let you find out the details for yourselves if you want. I have to say I just burst out laughing when I realised the later part of this book takes place at the same time as Dawn Wind by Rosemary Sutcliff. The atmosphere is so dif ...more
Mel
Jul 27, 2011 Mel added it
The second in the trilogy on dark ages Britain. It was very interesting novel set in a time period you don't often hear about: After Arthur, when the Saxons were expanding their territory in Britain, but before Arthur the Great, when the Saxons rule all of England and are fighting off the Danes. I liked the characters, but the book seemed never-ending. It could've happily ended a couple of times. There were 4-5 climaxes in the book and they became predictable and the book became stale and boring ...more
Gaile
Sent as a hostage to Cynric, King Of The West Saxons, Niniane falls in love with his bastard son, Ceawlin. The entire book is given over to the growth of love between these two, Ceawlin's conquest of Wessex and all of England from the western sea to Wales becoming in the end, High King. On Niniane's part, there is of course tragedy, worry, loss but Ceawlin remains her strongest rudder while her brother Coinmail seeks only revenge and disowns her as a sister. This book combines the whole scenario ...more
Debby Zigenis-Lowery
Apr 12, 2014 Debby Zigenis-Lowery rated it really liked it
As a lover of historical fiction, particularly tales set in the dark ages involving the Anglo-Saxons and the Romano-Britons, I found Born of the Sun a highly enjoyable read. It is the story of Niniane, a Romano-British princess, and her marriage to Ceawlin, the illegitimate son of the king of the West Saxons, and their struggles to unite the peoples that they love.
Diane Adam
Feb 23, 2014 Diane Adam rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book: in some ways more so than The Road to Avalon, as I knew very little about this era in history and had never heard of the main character, Cewlin. So I learnt some facts about how and why the Saxons managed to spread across England, at the same time becoming very involved with the story of Cewlin and his wife Niniane. Well-written and engaging.
Sonya
May 28, 2008 Sonya rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Not because the writing was incredibly great, but it was a story about a Bretwalda named Ceawlin. Little is known about this Bretwalda and the author weaved a story around his life with an incredible romance. Anything mixing history with fiction is great! (I picked up this book in a second hand shop while vacationing in Florida in my youth.)
Tania
May 03, 2008 Tania rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, romance
My first Joan Wolf and the one I still enjoyed the most. The story of Niniane, a princess of the Atrebates, and Ceawlin, a West Saxon prince. Not just a romance story, but also has a lot of historical details and a great plot.
Cristina Machado
Aug 15, 2010 Cristina Machado rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-ages
A stunning tale of 6th century Britain. The hero is Ceawlin, future Bretwalda of Saxon England, and the heroine, is Celtic princess Niniane, who became the great love and loyal companion of that powerful conqueror.
Ernie Flores
Feb 08, 2014 Ernie Flores rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book

Well it took me forever to finish this book, not because of the book though, but because of event in my life. Joan
Wolf did an excellent job of bringing this story to life and making this story come to life.
Tanzanite
Apr 21, 2009 Tanzanite rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written and full of detail - a fascinating look at 6th century Britain and the increasing presence of the Saxons. full review: http://shelfandstuff.blogspot.com/200...
Cindy
Jul 26, 2009 Cindy rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite authors. She writes historical novels, romances and mysteries, as well as contemporary romance. Loved this one!
Sadie
Nov 25, 2009 Sadie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
The greatest of all historic romance novels- lust, war, kidnapping, and betrayal. Honestly, could you ask for anything more.
Kay Donald
Aug 01, 2013 Kay Donald rated it it was amazing
No idea this was part of a trilogy the story stands alone and is a hefty historical fiction. There is a romance but that only makes up part of a captivating story.
Ashleigh Marks
Mar 25, 2011 Ashleigh Marks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dark Ages of Britain series by Joan Wolf has won my heart over.
Barb in Maryland
Post-Arthur, pre-Alfred England in setting. Marvelous historical fiction, romance.
Vivisection
I read this book almost 20 years ago and loved it. BUT in this reading I found this book was NOTHING like I was remembered. What a treat to reread a old favorite like it was new!
Gill
Aug 26, 2012 Gill rated it it was amazing
A good romp through the adventures of the time
Chelsea Malcolm
Jun 17, 2011 Chelsea Malcolm rated it liked it
The heroine was lacking. I liked the book but not as much as I did when I was younger...
Lesezeichen
Jul 31, 2016 Lesezeichen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5
  • The Morning Gift
  • Queen of the Summer Stars (Guinevere, #2)
  • Shadow of the King (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #3)
  • The Marsh King's Daughter
  • The Marriage of Meggotta
  • Treason
  • Bold Breathless Love
  • Circle Of Pearls
  • Once More, Miranda
  • Alinor (The Roselynde Chronicles, #2)
  • The Moon in The Water (Heron, #1)
  • Twilight of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #1)
  • Lady of the Glen: A Novel of 17th-Century Scotland and the Massacre of Glencoe
  • Zemindar
  • In Pursuit of the Green Lion (Margaret of Ashbury, #2)
Joan Wolf is a USA TODAY bestselling American writer, whose acclaimed Regency romances have earned her national recognition as a master of the genre. Her many historical and contemporary romances, some of which have been chosen as Literary Guild selections, have been highly praised by reviewers and authors alike.

Joan was born in 1951 and she grew up in the Bronx, New York. A former English teacher
More about Joan Wolf...

Dark Ages of Britain (3 books)
  • The Road to Avalon (Dark Ages of Britain, #1)
  • The Edge of Light (Dark Ages of Britain, #3)