Born of the Sun (Dark Ages of Britain, #2)

Born of the Sun (Dark Ages of Britain #2)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  209 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In this beautifully executed continuation of The Road to Avalon, her earlier depiction of sixth-century Britain, Wolf tells the story of Niniane, a Celtic princess, and Ceawlin, bastard son of the King of the West Saxons. Eighty years after the death of Arthur, the Celts are disorganized, drifting away from the cities built by the Romans. The vigorous Saxons, on the other...more
Published March 5th 1991 by Onyx (first published 1989)

Misfit
Second in an excellent Trilogy. This book is absolutely outstanding. I could not put it down and wanted to read the whole thing over again as soon as I finished. This book is filled with history, love, treachery, intrigue, a truly evil villainess, battles and more. Ceawlin and Niniane are a wonderful couple -- I enjoyed the pairing of the pagen Saxon who would be high king and the Christian British Princess Niniane. Learning to make a marriage with such two opposing lifestyles and customs, the h...more
Estara
Mar 06, 2012 Estara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Estara by: one of my favourite historical romances with the emphasis on history - 6th century Britain at that.
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2012
Katrina
Joanne
4.5 stars -- Wonderful mix of historical details and love, war, treachery, and relationships during the times of the Saxons (6th century). Great love story of the struggles and joys of a couple from opposing backgrounds -- Niniane, the Christian Celtic princess, and Ceawlin, the pagan Saxon prince. Loving these gems from the past.
M A
This novel made a tremendous impression on me. I'm anxiously awaiting it in ebook. This is one of the few paperbacks I ever owned I ended up "reading to pieces."

This is an excellent, epic novel describing the struggles between Britons and Saxons in the years following Arthurian rule. Wolf fleshes out an intriguing world, sparkling characterization, and a touching love story between Ninian, a British princess taken captive and betrothed to the Saxon heir apparent and Ceawlin, the prince's half-br...more
Helen
I read this when it first came out and several times since. I do not think it is as good as Road to Avalon but it is still fun. The political intrigue is interesting and it made me want to investigate the real history. Joan Wolf did not finish Ceawlin's story but I will let you find out the details for yourselves if you want. I have to say I just burst out laughing when I realised the later part of this book takes place at the same time as Dawn Wind by Rosemary Sutcliff. The atmosphere is so dif...more
Debby Zigenis-Lowery
As a lover of historical fiction, particularly tales set in the dark ages involving the Anglo-Saxons and the Romano-Britons, I found Born of the Sun a highly enjoyable read. It is the story of Niniane, a Romano-British princess, and her marriage to Ceawlin, the illegitimate son of the king of the West Saxons, and their struggles to unite the peoples that they love.
Gaile
Sent as a hostage to Cynric, King Of The West Saxons, Niniane falls in love with his bastard son, Ceawlin. The entire book is given over to the growth of love between these two, Ceawlin's conquest of Wessex and all of England from the western sea to Wales becoming in the end, High King. On Niniane's part, there is of course tragedy, worry, loss but Ceawlin remains her strongest rudder while her brother Coinmail seeks only revenge and disowns her as a sister. This book combines the whole scenario...more
Mel
Jul 27, 2011 Mel added it
The second in the trilogy on dark ages Britain. It was very interesting novel set in a time period you don't often hear about: After Arthur, when the Saxons were expanding their territory in Britain, but before Arthur the Great, when the Saxons rule all of England and are fighting off the Danes. I liked the characters, but the book seemed never-ending. It could've happily ended a couple of times. There were 4-5 climaxes in the book and they became predictable and the book became stale and boring...more
Diane Adam
I really enjoyed this book: in some ways more so than The Road to Avalon, as I knew very little about this era in history and had never heard of the main character, Cewlin. So I learnt some facts about how and why the Saxons managed to spread across England, at the same time becoming very involved with the story of Cewlin and his wife Niniane. Well-written and engaging.
Sonya
I love this book. Not because the writing was incredibly great but it was a story about a a Bretwalda named Ceawlin. Little is known about this Bretwalda and the author weaved a story around his life with an incredible romance. Anything mixing history with fiction is great! (I picked up this book in a second hand shop while vacationing in Florida)
Tania
My first Joan Wolf and the one I still enjoyed the most. The story of Niniane, a princess of the Atrebates, and Ceawlin, a West Saxon prince. Not just a romance story, but also has a lot of historical details and a great plot.
Tanzanite
Wonderfully written and full of detail - a fascinating look at 6th century Britain and the increasing presence of the Saxons. full review: http://shelfandstuff.blogspot.com/200...
Cristina Machado
A stunning tale of 6th century Britain. The hero is Ceawlin, future Bretwalda of Saxon England, and the heroine, is Celtic princess Niniane, who became the great love and loyal companion of that powerful conqueror.
Kelly
I read this book years ago and spent ages trying to look for it again. It was well worth the effort as this was such an enjoyable book. Romance and history tied up in a lovely story.
Vivisection
I read this book almost 20 years ago and loved it. BUT in this reading I found this book was NOTHING like I was remembered. What a treat to reread a old favorite like it was new!
Kay Donald
No idea this was part of a trilogy the story stands alone and is a hefty historical fiction. There is a romance but that only makes up part of a captivating story.
Kelly
Hm -- more bodice-ripper than straight historical fiction, but I have a soft spot for Joan Wolf. Let's see -- post Arthurian time, the Saxons are taking over, oh my!
Cindy
One of my favorite authors. She writes historical novels, romances and mysteries, as well as contemporary romance. Loved this one!
Sadie
The greatest of all historic romance novels- lust, war, kidnapping, and betrayal. Honestly, could you ask for anything more.
Chelsea Malcolm
The heroine was lacking. I liked the book but not as much as I did when I was younger...
Barbara
Post-Arthur, pre-Alfred England in setting. Marvelous historical fiction, romance.
Ashleigh Marks
The Dark Ages of Britain series by Joan Wolf has won my heart over.
Gill
A good romp through the adventures of the time
KarenB
slow paced and very tame ...
Andrea Holden
Andrea Holden marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Ginny
Ginny marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
  • Lords Of The White Castle (FitzWarin, #2)
  • Pendragon's Banner (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #2)
  • Treason
  • Zemindar
  • Queen of the Summer Stars (Guinevere, #2)
  • Lady Of The Glen: A Novel of 17Th-Century Scotland and the Massacre of Glencoe
  • Twilight of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #1)
  • Brother Cadfael: A Morbid Taste for Bones/One Corpse Too Many/Monk's Hood
  • A Bloody Field by Shrewsbury
  • Alinor (The Roselynde Chronicles, #2)
  • The Vizard Mask
  • Love Me, Marietta
  • Wintercombe (Wintercombe, #1)
  • In Pursuit of the Green Lion (Margaret of Ashbury, #2)
Joan Wolf is a USA TODAY bestselling American writer, whose acclaimed Regency romances have earned her national recognition as a master of the genre. Her many historical and contemporary romances, some of which have been chosen as Literary Guild selections, have been highly praised by reviewers and authors alike.

Joan was born in 1951 and she grew up in the Bronx, New York. A former English teacher...more
More about Joan Wolf...
The Road to Avalon (Dark Ages of Britain, #1) A Reluctant Queen: The Love Story of Esther Daughter of the Red Deer (Reindeer Hunters, #1) The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3) His Lordship's Mistress