Start by marking “The Skin Type Solution: A Revolutionary Guide to Your Best Skin Ever” as Want to Read:
The Skin Type Solution: A Revolutionary Guide to Your Best Skin Ever

The Skin Type Solution: A Revolutionary Guide to Your Best Skin Ever

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  43 reviews
REVISED AND UPDATED

FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW ABOUT WHAT’S GOOD FOR YOUR SKIN—AND LEARN THE TRUTH.

Take the simple questionnaire inside this book and within minutes discover which of the sixteen unique skin types describes your skin, which ingredients to avoid, the skin care brands that are right for you, and your new time- and money-saving regimen. In this revi
Published December 18th 2007 by Bantam (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Skin Type Solution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Skin Type Solution

Allison
This totally did not make sense. Her whole premise is that there are four facets of skin -- oily/dry, sensitive/resistant, pigmented/non-pigmented, and wrinkled/tight. So I take the quiz, and I'm oily/resistant/non-pigmented/tight. That makes sense.

But the section for that type of skin kept saying that it's the best kind to have because you don't have any skin problems! Which... I do, kind of a lot. And it talked about how people with this type of skin don't get acne, which is news to me, as I'v
Gwen
Nov 24, 2012 Gwen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gwen by: browsing at the library
Shelves: well-being
I wasn't too surprised by my "skin type" as determined by the Myers-Briggs-esque test at the beginning of the book: borderline oily/dry, sensitive, barely non-pigmented (ability to form melanin), and "tight". I read the chapters OSNT and DSNT to figure out what I should be doing.

OSNT: rosacea and adult acne. Hooray! I took the anti-inflammatory tips from this chapter (products with licochalone, feverfew, and aloe; stress mitigation (ha!)--avoidcocoa butter, parabens, peppermint oil, lactic acid
Lara
Mar 20, 2008 Lara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I've had years of trouble with my skin. This book showed me what type of skin I have and what I should be doing to take care of it. I was doing everything wrong! A week on her program and my face is looking - and feeling - so much better. The author provides lists of products suited to each skin type (and she has 16 types here, not the usual three or four). I'd have given it four stars if more of the products listed were organic or all-natural.
Delaney
Giving it a try on Tooey's recommendation.

Highly recommend this book to anyone who struggles with their skin or at all enjoys skincare. I started my regimen recommended to me through the book and in a week I have actually noticed a distinct difference in my skin tone, luminosity and clarity. This book has now been passed around to all of the girls in our group and it is magic
Adrienne
You should read this book just for the quizes. I like Bauman's theory that skin isn't just normal, dry, oily, sensitive or combination. Her product recommendations are very helpful and tell why certain products work or are detrimental for different skin types. A definite must read for those with sensitive skin.
Alyssa
Nov 30, 2007 Alyssa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants better skin
Follow her advice and your skin WILL improve. It looks like a big book, but it's really a quick read because you only have to take the test & read the part about your skin type. It's worked for 3 people I know, including myself.
Sarah Walsh
As I write this, I have once-in-a-lifetime, facial eczema. I cannot test the Author's advice given for under 40, dry, resistant, non-pigmented, wrinkled skin. Here's me, eczema, and identity encased in historically crime-d, Anglo/Irish, fair skin. Unaware until reading of course, it is simple but complex. Thankful, my type is heavily supplied by that oh so charming of beauty industry intent on shaming me/all women toward gracefully, disgracing Old. Further reading? BB creams thus eczema. No soon ...more
Colleen
This book helped me a lot. I have super sensitive skin that reacts to everything. I learned some really important stuff no one else ever explained to me, plus exactly which products to use - and which to avoid.
For example: Sensitive skin will often react to even high-quality products if they don't have all three of the body's natural moisturizing agents in the exact proportions that they're found in the skin.
Just about no manufacturers make their lotions using that formula, with the exception of
MissAnnThrope
The premise of this book is that by figuring out your exact skin type, you will be able to properly choose your skin products and have near flawless skin. The reader does this by taking a questionnaire to determine skin type (oily vs dry, sensitive vs resistant, pigmented vs non, wrinkled vs tight). You then combine the four different categories to determine your unique skin type, and then go to your appropriate chapter to read recommendations for your type.

I like Baumann's writing style because
Tien Pham
I enjoy reading this book. For once, I actually relate to a skin type description. I am a OSPW, a pretty difficult skin type. Now that I know my skin is sensitive, proned to pigmentation and wrinkles, I know better what products to get. Before that, I mostly rely on general reviews from makeupalley, and have been confused and frustrated that a product that supposedly does wonders for many other does not work for me. If anything, this book taught me to understand the right skin ingredients.
Laurel
In my ongoing quest to have non-terrible skin, I think this is a pretty useful tool. You use a fairly extensive questionnaire to "type" your skin along 4 axes (think dermatological Myers-Briggs) and then she provides specific suggestions of routines to follow, products/ingredients to use or avoid, etc. for each skin type. Learned some useful things, it's very straightforward and non-hypey (references list is also extensive), products suggested are at a broad range of price points. I appreciated ...more
Monique
I loved this book! It is very helpful in pinpointing what kind of skin I have and suggesting products and ingredients to use and avoid. My sister also read this book and we are completely different skin types. Thus we need to use completely different products. I have found the product suggestions very helpful and effective. It is a recommended read if you are having problem skin or just want to maximize your beauty! I did not read the whole book just the sections on my skin type but it does a gr ...more
Becky H
I liked a lot of the information in this book so I would've given it a 4 except for after following the regimen set out for my skin type, I'm still having issues. I also find it interesting that by a simple, subtle change of one or two of my answers in the quiz I could go from being one of the most difficult skin types to one of the easiest to maintain skin types. I do like the product she recommended for my skin type (Aveeno and Mary Kay are currently the brands I use), but I don't know how cru ...more
Kyla
Thank god I read this book! I knew I had sensitive AND dry skin, but I didn't have really any clue what to do about it beyond slathering lotion on it. This book really opened my eyes to the world of skin care. It's clear to me now that I haven't been doing enough to take care of my skin and prevent premature aging. Dr Baumann also provides product recommendations based on price-affordability. It's perfect and just what I needed. Plus I got some very very good advice from this book: "[you] dont t ...more
Heather
I will be making a few changes in my skin care routine and then can give a much better rating/review of the book. Overall it is well layed out and easy to find the information that is important for your individual skin type (and a quiz to figure out what your skin type is). I thought it seemed a bit Sales Pitchy for some different products that she recommends but still found the information easy to understand and incorporate into a new skin care regimen. I look forward to seeing a positive chang ...more
Nicki Zevola
The Skin Type Solution is a revolutionary way for patients to better understand the behaviors of their skin, as well as to discern which types of products are the best for their own skin. As Myers-Briggs personality analysis is 16 types into which some 97% of the population falls into, The Skin Type Solution is more than likely providing advice, solutions, and product recommendations for about 97% of the population. It is a tremendous, ground-breaking book for the average skin care consumer, and ...more
Janet
Apr 04, 2011 Janet marked it as books-i-didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Janet by: Siobhan
Shelves: skimmers
Man, I'm on a "books-I-didn't-finish" kick this week! I took the self-quiz in the book and then turned to the section about my skin type. Unfortunately, the description of "my" type of skin was about 50% incorrect. I read the parts that applied to me (at least based on my quiz results) and didn't get a whole lot out of it. I imagine that if the results had matched me more accurately, this would've been very helpful. A friend recommended this to me so I feel bad not having loved it or gotten some ...more
Marianna
I got some good tips. I have yet to actually try any of the products or enact a stricter routine. But I have ditched all the products that I was using that I found were bad for my skin (exfoliants and some oils). Plus I learned that steam is very bad for my skin type, which makes me sad.

I also found that some of the products recommended aren't as available any more, if at all. But the website is helpful for finding current products. The chore will be wading through options and prices.
Erin Robbins
Jun 28, 2007 Erin Robbins rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is great. It includes a test to tell you which of the 8 skin types you have. While portions were not surprising to me, others were. I did the test for both myself and my husband. But even better the author includes a list for each skin type of product suggetions that range in price from drug store brands to expensive dermatologist purchases. I was able to create a skin treat regiment from Walmart and get better results than my expensive department store products.
Great helpful tool and guide to what products you should use for your skin... there are so many out there and just because you like a face wash from one place doesn't mean the moisturizer will be the same or do you use lightening gel or eye cream??? Will have to read it a few times and make a copy of my skin type regimen, but a pretty good read for those who want to start being proactive about their skin.
Kaila
This book is great because you take a quiz and then it tells you what your skin type is. You then go to that chapter and read how to take care of your skin. She lists products that she likes that range in price. It is great if you have problems with your skin but it is also good for people who don't have problems because she talks about wrinkling and age spots. (which none of us want!)
Marisa
Pros: Definitely recommend if you want to understand why your skin does what it does - she also demystifies a lot of the anti-aging products and gives great advice as to what ingredients will work for your skin type.

Cons: The test to figure out what your skin type is wasn't that helpful - I had to figure it out on my own. Also, most of her suggestions on products are way outdated.

Lmcwil
At different times, my skin would fall into different type categories. Which makes me question the validity of her "types." But for some people this information might really help. She suggests specific products, which on the one hand might make it seem like she's trying to sell you something, but on the other hand if you really want to follow her recommendations that makes it very easy.
Aubrey
I thought this was a great, simple guide to skin care. All you do is take a quiz and then read a chapter written by a skilled dermatologist (the author) on why your skin reacts the way it does, and what products you should and shouldn't buy that are specific for your skin type. I've been looking everywhere for a book like this, and I truly wasn't disappointed.
Nicki
This book is really neat because it allows you to take a test to determine what kind of skin you have, then you can go to the chapter about your skin type and learn more about it. The author tells you exactly what products are right for your skin and are in your price range. I haven't used the products long enough to rate by results, but the info was good.
Heather
Loved the information in this book. If you've ever wondered what type of skin you have or spent a ton of time in the cleanser/moisturizer aisle this book is for you. It even gives you specific products to try for your skin in a variety of price points. I hope the products work for me since I will be replacing them once my current skin care products run out.
kayla
I guess it gave me an overview of my skin type and it did make me aware that I apparently have wrinkle-prone skin, however the moisturizer she repeatedly suggests for my skin type (which she lists as an economical choice) is $30 for a little bottle at my nearest drug store. So, I'm pretty much going to ignore this book and keep doing what feels best.
Mrs N
Dr Baumann has figured out 16 skin types, based on oily/dry, sensitive/not, pigmented/not, wrinkled/tight. The book has a questionnaire to help you figure out your skin type, then personalized recommendations (at all price points) for your skin and its particular ailments. This book really helped clarify why my skin is sometimes so annoying!
Melissa
This book isn't a riveting read, but excellent skin care quizzes and recommended regimens. This book completely changed my skin, its recommended for men and women of all ages and includes recommended skin care products from all price ranges.
Shaunta
This is like a skin bible. I checked this book out at the library, but plan to purchase it because of the valuable information that allows me to make better decisions when choosing skin care items.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Skin Rules: Trade Secrets from a Top New York Dermatologist
  • The Innocents Club
  • Plotto: The Master Book of All Plots
  • The Hatbox Baby
  • Navy Brides (Navy #1-3)
  • The Laws of Attraction (Rose Cottage Sisters, #3)
  • Fortune's Hand
  • The Big Book of Words You Should Know: Over 3,000 Words Every Person Should Be Able to Use (and a Few That You Probably Shouldn't)
  • You Can Write a Novel
  • The Miracles of Archangel Michael
  • Lights Out Tonight (KEY News, #9)
  • New Revised Standard Version New Interpreter's Study Bible: New Revised Standard Version with Apocrypha (Hardcover with Dust Jacket)
  • Jen-X: Jenny McCarthy's Open Book
  • The Writer's Block: 786 Ideas To Jump-start Your Imagination
  • The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World
  • Queer Eye for the Straight Guy : The Fab 5's Guide to Looking Better, Cooking Better, Dressing Better, Behaving Better, and Living Better
  • On the Kabbalah and Its Symbolism
  • Remediation: Understanding New Media
The Skin Type Solution: The Revolutionary Guide To Finding And Caring For Your Skin Type Cosmetic Dermatology: Principles and Practice Cosmeceuticals and Cosmetic Ingredients Cosmetic Dermatology Principles and Practice 3/E (DVD) Skin Type Solution: A Revolutionary Guide to Your Best Skin Ever