Start by marking “The Kiss Test” as Want to Read:
The Kiss Test

The Kiss Test

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Margo Gentry's life is perfect. She loves her job as a DJ for Manhattan's only country music station, and she has a great boyfriend who accepts her need to avoid marriage and tolerates her Elvis obsession--even the velvet Elvis painting in their bedroom.

But then it all falls apart. The radio station changes formats and fires all the DJs. Margo's boyfriend decides he wants
Published October 11th 2010 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about The Kiss Test, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kiss Test

Sonja
4.5 stars. I LIKED THIS SO MUCH. I've had this book on my to-read list for years and it took me a VERY long time to track it down, but I finally found the book for about $2 on the Carina Press website.

BEST FRIENDS FALLING IN LOVE.

Look, it's no secret this is my favorite trope. But it was also best friends falling in love ON A CROSS-COUNTRY ROAD TRIP!!!!!!! So basically, all I ever want from books. Super cute and tropey to the max.

I really did like everything about the story. I liked Margo's fa
Heather
The Kiss Test was such a unique story, with Margo's love for Elvis. The Elvis references could have been bothersome for a non-Elvis fan (*cough* myself), but the explanation of what he means to her adds depth to her history with the singer. When Margo feels everything is going wrong in her life - loses her job, bad breakup, Mom's getting married again - she turns to Chris, who is her best friend. Chris has created a kiss test as a way of meeting "the one," but ultimately it ends in one night sta ...more
Home. Love. Books.
To read this review and others like it check out my site at www.homelovebooks.com

I absolutely, without a doubt love this book, I think it's going to be one of my favorites for a long time. I love romances where two best friends fall in love, especially friends who have a long standing relationship like Margo and Chris have in this one, we are talking over a decade of friendship here. Friendship that has seen them through the awkward teenage years, family hardships, college, relationships, and m
Holly
The heroine really had to deal with a lot of bad shit; losing her job, losing her boyfriend, getting kicked out of her house, falling down the stairs and getting a concussion, being attacked by a swarm of mosquitoes, getting smacked in the head, busting the hand off a wax Elvis statue and almost getting arrested for it...the list goes on and on.

While some of these things were amusing, it kind of got to the point where I was rolling my eyes and thinking "jaysus, what's next?". I think the author
3 stars

POV: 1st person, Margo
Sensuality: Warm/Hot (lots of talk, one descriptive encounter)

Margo thinks her life is perfect. She has the perfect job as a morning DJ at a country radio station, the perfect boyfriend who doesn't ask for too much from her, and the perfect best friend. Her best friend, Chris, has been her BFF since she was 10. He's a ladies' man and administers "The Kiss Test" to women all the time and never lacks for a bedmate.
Then Margo's life starts to fall apart. She loses her
Book Binge
The Kiss Test is a contemporary novel written in the first person. While there are some romantic elements, because we don't get anything from the hero's pov, I would classify this more as chick-lit or women's fic.

Margo Gentry has the perfect life. She loves her job, her friends and has a boyfriend who seems to want the same things out of life that she does. Until it all falls apart. She loses her job, her man and her place to live all in one fell swoop. The only thing she still has going for he
sarcastic
A light-hearted romance that made me happy and that entertained me a lot.

Margo's seemingly perfect life changes completly when she loses her job and is dumped by her boyfriend. Margo is in need of a change so she decides to go on a road trip from New York to LA. She is hurt shortly before the trip though fortunately her best male friend Chris offers to drive with her.
Margo hopes to have a good time but she doesn't expect that this road trip will change her life even more deeply than the loss o
Susi
I really hoped I would like this book but unfortunately I couldn't. I just had too many problems with the characters and how the story unfolded. The first few pages I liked the heroine and everything sounded really promising but after the first chapter this book lost me.

Margo is an independant woman living in NYC. She's working as the morning DJ at a Country radio station and loves her life the way it is. A great job, a boyfriend who likes their relationship the easy way it is without any marria
Maldivianbookreviewer
4 Star Contemporary Romance

Margo June Gentry thinks her life to be perfect. Living with Kevin Timber, her boyfriend of almost two years who never demands more than she is willing to give and puts up with her obsession for anything Elvis there is nothing more a girl like Margo who is commitment phobic could ask for. With a job that she loves working as a DJ for the a.m. show at WKUP, a country radio station with all her close friends and Christopher Treem, her best friend of more than 20 years
Christine
I usually enjoy the 'friends-to-lovers' storylines, but I could not get into this book.
Margo is a country station DJ in New York City. She is living with her boyfriend and is happy with the way her life is, with no intention of getting married. Her best friend is Chris and they've been friends since childhood.
Then, Margo loses her job, her boyfriend and has to stay temporarily with Chris - who is basically a man-ho. Right before moving in with Chris, Margo falls down the stairs, sustaining a co
Amy
Yayyy! I'm always so happy when I can cheer on a couple when they get together at the end of the book. I loved this story because in the beginning I laughed more than a couple times, and I love it when an author is able to portray humour in a formula romance novel. I loved that she (the author) made me change my opinion of Chris and Margo (the H/h). I really hated Chris because he was such a man-whore - he would seriously just kiss and sleep with any girl and apparently all the women just trippe ...more
Leigh
I received a free galley from netgalley. I believe that the release date is 10/11/10
Carina Press:http://ebooks.carinapress.com/83B4058...

Chris and Margo have been friends for what seem like forever. He was her brother's friend and she tagged along, but when her brother withdrew into games, computer etc, their friendship stayed strong. He is perfect in every way, except he seems to think that he needs to give every women he meets the kiss test. Not that she is jealous. She is perfectly happy wi
Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile)
In all honesty, I really had no idea what to expect when I started this book. I kind of picked it because I really liked the cover and I love books where best friends realize they love each other.

So, all that being said, I really did love this book. It was different and fun and there were some super funny parts that had me laughing out loud. I don't know if all of you readers have quite figured this out yet, but I always love to add in a little bit of contemporary fiction to swerve my genre read
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at http://www.smexybooks.com/2010/10/rev...

Favorite Quote:”...if he knew how mad I was, he’d think twice about exposing to me the family jewels necessary for creating his hypothetical children”

Margo has it all. A fab job DJ-ing at a country music radio station, a boyfriend who agrees with her no marriage/no kids edict, and she just found out she won Country DJ of the year. What more could she ask for?

But when it rains it pours and with in one week she loses her job, her boyfrie
Nicole

Publisher: Carina Press
Publish Date: 10/11/10
How I got this book: NetGalley

So I picked up this book because the blurb sounded amazing, and I am a super sucker for stories of friends who realize they are in love and meant to be together. I really wish that The Kiss Test would have measured up for me, unfortunately, it was not what I was expecting.

Margo is an Elvis-obsessed morning radio DJ who life seems perfect, but quickly falls apart. She loses her job, her boyfriend, her apartment, and her s
Colleen
I’m a sucker for stories about best friends becoming lovers so Shannon McKelden’s The Kiss Test caught my eye.

Margo has the perfect life – or so she thinks. She’s living with her boyfriend of two years, Kevin in his Manhattan apartment with her Elvis collection. She has a great job as the morning DJ of New York’s only Country Radio station. And then one day everything changes.

The station is bought out and the format is switched. Suddenly Margo is out of a job. She thinks she can hide this from h
I'm on the fence about this book. I really enjoyed the ending and was entertained through most of the novel. However, I don't like first person in romances too much and I didn't really get into any of the characters. I found the idea of the kiss test off-putting in a hero (I'd be put of if a man offered such a thing to me). Also, I found the heroine to be immature--and not the things Kevin accused her of being immature for (I've got nothing against her job or Elvis obsession), but her reactions ...more
Deborah
I really enjoyed this book! As a Barnes & Noble employee, I especially loved the shout-out to my company. Ms. McKelden has one character named Ben Barnes and on the next page there's Nancy Noble! Too cool!

There were several places that I laughed out loud! Ms. McKelden is a hoot! I love the way she turns a phrase. I especially loved this sentence: "Julie asked in that vaguely breathless kind of voice that indicated a vast expanse of free air between her ears."

The romance that develops between
Ink
Christine
Loved the title, the concept of this kiss test, the last few pages (a very well written HEA), Chris, and the cover picture.

I just couldn't buy into all the Elvis stuff, the concussion and dizziness, 11 marriages, and Margo's level of cluelessness and immaturity.
Tracy
I gave this book a 5 star rating because I could not put it down. I stayed so mad at Chris throughout most of the book! When I read a story with that much emotion it is one I will remember a long time! Thanks for a great read!!
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
liked it. but didn't love it particularly.. it doesn't help that the main guy sounds like a total womanizer. I hoped that i will love this book.. but no. Its a good uniques best friends turned lovers story but not the best.
Crista McHugh
Awesome book. I normally don't read contemporary romances, but this book had me staying up late at night to get to them. It's one of those "laugh out loud" followed by "warm fuzzies" type of book.
Kerry
I loved this cute story about best friends falling in love. Well worth the money I spent, this will be going into my comfort books file on my iPad to be revisited at a later time!
Latte
Cute story. I do like these story lines of friends who realize there's more to the relationship. Although they could have gotten to that point just a wee bit sooner for me.
Joy
When a Manhattan country music dj (!) loses her job, she goes on a cross-country Elvis pilgrimage with her best friend. Road romance! Fun.
Hannah G.
i really really wanted to love this because it has one of my favourite tropes, but i just couldn't get into it at all.
Donnary
sexy, funny and smart.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Something So Right
  • Her Cinderella Complex
  • Pure Temptation (Blaze) (Harlequin Temptation, #744)
  • One Night with Prince Charming (Aristocratic Grooms, #2)
  • A Little Light Magic
  • Promoted to Wife?
  • A Love Beyond Words
  • Desert Rogues Part 2
  • The Naked Truth
  • Teaming Up (Harlequin NASCAR, #26)
  • Heat Wave: Rex on the Beach/Getting Into Trouble/Shaken and Stirred
  • Viva Las Bad Boys!
  • Wolf Trap (Wolf Moons #2)
  • NASCAR Holiday 2: Miracle Season/Season of Dreams/Taking Control/The Natural
  • CaddyGirls
  • Turn My World Upside Down: Jo's Story
  • Blazing Bedtime Stories (Once Upon A Bite / My, What A Big...You Have! / Sexily Ever After) (Harlequin Blaze #447)
  • Heating Up The Holidays (Harlequin Blaze, #435) (American Heroes: The Firefighters, #3)
Venus Envy Venus Guy Trap Bad Romance The Happy Writer: Life's Hard. Write Happy! (The Happy Writer Series) Rejection First Aid Kit (A Happy Writer book)