Start by marking “Ones and Twos” as Want to Read:
Ones and Twos

Ones and Twos

3.07 of 5 stars 3.07  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Marthe Jocelyn’s ability to present important-to-learn concepts to the very young has garnered accolades from around the world. Ones and Twos is her first book collaboration with her nineteen-year-old art student daughter, Nell, and, together, they explore numeracy, sorting, and pairing. Each brightly illustrated page invites children to identify familiar objects ranging f ...more
Published May 10th 2011 by Tundra Books

To ask other readers questions about Ones and Twos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ones and Twos

Canadian Children's Book Centre
Thus begins Ones and Twos, a most creative book that explores the relationship between singles and doubles in a delightful and engaging manner. The story centres around a day in the lives of two young girls and a nesting robin as they share a special time in a neighbourhood park. Each page extends an invitation for readers to sort and pair objects, not only those arranged within the main illustrations but also items placed inside the thematic borders running along the bottom of each page. Subjec ...more
Gianna Parisi
Ones and twos by Marthe Jocelyn is an overall good book. I give this book a three rating because I believe that the illustrations were way too loud. There is too much going on within the pages for young readers to really pay attention. On the contrary as a read aloud for kindergartner or first graders I could ask them how many of something they see on the page. The story is about two girls walking around during the day counting ones and twos of everything. I love the interracial friendship that ...more
Alice
I usually like the collage art technique but this is just over kill. Too much pattern, too much detail..just too much.

The story is cute, I like the concept of 1 and 2 and the rhymes are okay but I can't rave about this one... Sorry
Cheryl
Good math concept book
Robin
A simple, rhyming text follows, "one bird, two eggs" and "One girl, two legs" through a day of play in the park. Children will be able to spy many other one and two combinations in addition to those mentioned in the text. Though the concept is simple, the collage illustrations are pretty detailed, so these can be explored in more detail through one on one sharing.
Vanessa Grubbs
I think that this book has really wonderful illustrations. It reinforces the concept of the numbers 1 and 2 through both text and graphic illustration. This book would best serve children in the pre-K age range. I also like that children of different races we represented. Also there is a lot of good repetition for young readers.
Megan
Mar 21, 2012 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: baby-toddler
A unique counting book in that two is the highest number, but for toddlers and babies, that's just about perfect. As they get better at recognizing ones and two, they can point out single items and coupled items in the illustrations but not mentioned in the text.
Danielle Butler
The illustration in this book are what I love the most because they are so unique. Each picture is very interesting to look at and has objects most young children are familiar with. This book could be used to introduce pairing to children at a young age.
Molly
The simple text and storyline make it great for younger audiences. This would also be great as a one on one read, where you could spend more time investigating the detailed illustrations.
Cute book about things that come in ones and twos, with a cute little story.
Sarah Sammis
Sep 11, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sarah by: my daughter
A day in the life of two friends as they go to the park and share a pastry.
Becky
Cute! Nice artwork.
Bunnyjadwiga
Bunnyjadwiga marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Lindsy
Lindsy added it
Jan 17, 2015
Katie Lynn
Katie Lynn marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Canadian born
22 books published for young readers"
More about Marthe Jocelyn...
Would You Folly Mable Riley: A Reliable Record of Humdrum, Peril, and Romance What We Hide How It Happened in Peach Hill