Ardeur: 14 Writers on the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series

Ardeur: 14 Writers on the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  476 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Laurell K. Hamilton’s Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series is a literary sensation, thanks to its strong female hero, well-fleshed (both literally and literarily) characters and unabashed attitude toward sex. The world Hamilton has created is powerfully compelling and stunningly complex—and it gets deeper, richer and more perilous, with every book.

Straddling the series’ domi...more
Published (first published March 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ardeur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ardeur

Bookmom
If you are interested in this book because you believe it's about the Ardeur, you will either be vastly disappointed, or incredibly relieved, because it's NOT about the Ardeur.

Fourteen authors have written essays covering fourteen different aspects of Anita and her world. This is by no means a book touting how wonderful the Anita Blake series is. As a matter of fact, you'll find some authors that think the series lost it's value either when Anita finally had sex with Jean-Claude (no more sexual...more
Heather
After recently finishing Flirt, and while waiting for Bullet, I found Ardeur to take the edge off of my Anita Blake craving. With 18 books chronicling Anita Blake's adventures as a vampire executioner/necromancer/succubus, it was nice to read something that reflects on the series and all that it accomplishes.

Ardeur includes 14 essays on a variety of subjects, all pertaining to the Anita Blake universe. Everything from how the ardeur has helped Anita to develop and overcome personal boundaries, t...more
Mar 12, 2011 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer by: jennsicurella@verizon.net
I'm a huge fan of the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series and reading essays focusing on many different aspects of the series was a wonderful experience. While most of the contributing authors were unknown to me, all had interesting viewpoints on the series.

Having Laurell K. Hamilton herself edit the book concerned me. I felt that her involvement in the project may have caused the book to be less candid than it could have been. The Anita Blake series often invokes strong feelings, for and against...more
Larisa
Thrilled with the author forewords for each essay, and the multi-faceted insight the book gave me for the overarching character development. And development it is, not the super slut slide as bandied about on many of the book reviews. Shocked by some revelations (Olaf has a fan group? and they want Anita & Olaf to date?!)
I've read the first four to six books countless times, and still recommend them in heavy rotation to friends looking for a new read. Anita will always be my first,favorite,...more
Emily
I was disappointed with most of the essays in this book, but thankfully not all of them. "Showing the Scars," in particular, by Jacob Clifton delves into the aspects of Urban Fantasy that most interest me. He posits that the supernatural love triangle is a communal effort of our culture to cope with the myriad of sexual and gendered changes of the last 40 years. That is the heart of my research interests, there are too many patterns throughout this genre, and they sell WAY too well, for these el...more
mlady_rebecca
14 different pieces discussing the Anita Blake series. I'll review them one by one.

Unfortunately, my pc committed suicide and I'll have to get back to you with the individual reviews. (I wrote them up by hand.) Assuming, of course, that they even fit in this tiny little review space. I got rather wordy. *g*

Overall, I was rather pleased with the selection of essays. I think there were only two I absolutely hated. Another two I gave 5 stars to. The rest fell somewhere in between.

The thing that imp...more
Michelle Cristiani
I think I was just in school too long. Because I don't find it charming when academics - or writers with an academic tone -take on a decidedly non-academic subject to give it some sort of depth or gravity. For as exciting as the Anita Blake series is, this book is just boring. And not in the highbrow-writing-goes-on-and-on boring. More of that-was-obvious-before-you-said-it boring. Do you really need a book full of essays to tell you that Anita gets along better with men than women, or that the...more
Stacy
While I generally prefer my time spent in fantasy realms to be purely escapist, I certainly appreciate it more if it is intelligent, so I find myself mildly intrigued by the concept of taking one of my favorite escape destinations and putting a purely scholastic analysis to it. That being said, I am now mystified by the read that anyone can apparently put on anything, given their own method of viewing the world. I guess that says that good fiction can be everything to everyone (or at least, the...more
Margaret
The essays are kinda hit or miss, and it's interesting to be on Twitter to sort of discuss them with a friend. Generally, the essays that are in the miss column are the ones that don't even address AB:VH (Marella Sands, for example), or don't have any coherent thought to them (Heather Swain). Whereas Lilith Saintcrow can lay out her argument and use examples from the text to back up her stance, so that was refreshing to read and helped me understand why I liked certain books more than others in...more
Caitlin Trepp
There were a few essays in here that were 5-star status; I'd say about 4 of the 14. It would be well worth the purchase, but slugging through the other 10 was a bit weird. I liked the essay about why modern protagonists date monsters, and another essay that pointed out the serious problem Anita (or LKH) has with Strong Women who are not Anita. Anita really does only seem to like Strong Women when they are below her in the hierarchy, which is very interesting in itself! Also LKH writes an intro i...more
Darcy
I thought this was an interesting book to read. Whether you love or hate LKH and Anita, and I have done both, it was nice to see other perspectives. I often found myself reconsidering things due to different issues being brought up. Sometimes I didn't agree with what they were saying, but that was ok. I especially liked the new nuggets I learned from LKH, who knew originally Micah was supposed to be a bad buy and betray Anita, I can't really see it even though I don't really like him.

I think if...more
Stacey
This was pretty interesting, although I thought some essays got a bit wordy and tried to be too academic. I zoned out a bit at those. I was pleasantly surprised to fine that some were a bit critical. It was nice to see that dissenting opinions were allowed. I enjoyed the introductions to each essay by LKH, although I know at least some have appeared as blog posts before.
Poppy
The introduction by Laurell K. Hamilton prior to each essay is what I enjoyed most about this book. They gave interesting insight into the Anita Blake series as well as the author herself.

As for the essays, most were okay. A few were very good and a couple I felt were just way off base and on the boring side.

I'm glad I read it though.
Karen
I found that this book made me think more fully about what is happening in the Anita universe. While I agree with many of the essays, I find that some have no real idea of what the series is about. This can be due to the fact that they insist on viewing it narrowly as it relates to their view of the world in general.
Lyne
I'm not even going to waste my time finishing this book. It's a bunch of authors trying to make more out of a non-fiction series then it really it. Many of the commentaries sounded like authors trying to make stuff up to sell their own books or just to "hear" themselves speak. Absolutely worthless - waste of paper.
Alicia Prochnow
I read all of LKH's comments,but skipped 2 of the other author's writings. It was nice to get some background from LKH. And also nice to hear some other perspectives on why certain items exist in the series.
But this book is in no way required to read as part of the series.
Tammy
This was not what I was expecting. But I did like reading other authors' analysis of Hamilton's writing and the character of Anita Blake and her growth in this book series...or should I say development? It also contains commentary/ feedback from Hamilton as well.
Kelly
I love this nonfiction about fiction that is contemporary. I've really only ever read such about old classic works. Fun stuff, although I'm a little scared that it is shattering some delusions I've somehow harbored despite my feminist vigilance.
Irena
Every essay had a comment of one to two pages by LKH herself. She didn't say anything I hadn't heard before. The essays were by writers that most of which I have heard of or read. Nothing new here, folks, move along.
Kati
Few essays were interesting the rest were ego stroking LH. Most essays focused on the first 9 books and ignored the decline of content for the rest. Very skewed perspectives.
Hayley
I really liked seeing different perspectives on the Anita Blake series, especially the ones about Anita's relationship with Edward and the one about Anita and her necromancy. I enjoyed it!
melissa
Didn't even finish the first essay as it seemed to simply be an ego stroking regurgitation of Laurell's intro letter about showing up other authors at a signing.
Flitterkit
To be honest, I thought it was short stories, people writing about what they thought of the books had zero interest for me.
Jan
I felt like I was grading papers instead of gaining insight to the character of Anita. Disappointing.
Gina gamill
Gina gamill marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Mickey Allanson
Mickey Allanson marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Rita Lanham
Rita Lanham marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
  • True Blood and Philosophy: We Want to Think Bad Things with You
  • A Taste of True Blood: The Fangbanger's Guide
  • A New Dawn: Your Favorite Authors on Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series
  • Sherlock Holmes and Philosophy: The Footprints of a Gigantic Mind
  • Midnight Cravings
  • Seven Seasons of Buffy: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Television Show
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • A Visitor�s Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries
  • Ravens in the Library - Magic in the Bard's Name
  • The Ravening (Blood Moon, #3)
  • Reading the Vampire Slayer: The Complete, Unofficial Guide to 'Buffy' and 'Angel'
  • Fighting the Forces: What's at Stake in Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • The Undead and Philosophy: Chicken Soup for the Soulless
  • The Art of Styling Sentences
  • Tablet of Destinies (Celestial Triad, #2)
  • Bite Me!: An Unofficial Guide to the World of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • The Rosicrucian Enlightenment (Routledge Classics)
Laurell K. Hamilton is one of the leading writers of paranormal fiction. A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Hamilton writes the popular Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels and the Meredith Gentry series. She is also the creator of a bestselling comic book series based on her Anita Blake novels and published by Marvel Comics. Hamilton is a full-time writer and lives in the suburbs of St. Louis...more
More about Laurell K. Hamilton...
Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3) The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2) The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #4) Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5)