Start by marking “The Boy Next Door” as Want to Read:
The Boy Next Door

The Boy Next Door (Candy Apple #2)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,221 Ratings  ·  128 Reviews
Taryn and Jeff have been next-door neighbors and friends all of their lives but when they enter sixth grade, everything changes.
Published January 1st 2007 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Next Door, please sign up.

Aaseyah Haniff For me I am a seventh grader and I totally love this book its a little boring buff most of all taryn ands Jeff had a good chemistry

Jamika
Jan 13, 2010 Jamika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls who like the candy aplple series
Recommended to Jamika by: no one
What i've learned from this book the boy next door is that sometimes you think your friend could mabey one day become more than a friend or best friend but not with the two main characters Taryn and Jeff.they are starting sixth grade and their both really nervous.they've been friends since they were born. they were born on the same week and the same month and year.So they hung out over the summer but when Jeff joins the soccer team and Taryn joins the schools Carnival Commity they both go their ...more
Megan Lengel
Taryn and Jeff have been next-door neighbors forever. It never mattered that they were a girl and a boy - they were just friends. But when they hit sixth grade - everything changes... whether they want it to or not.
Cindy Gu
Dec 23, 2012 Cindy Gu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember seeing this in the Scholastic catalog back in like, fifth grade. I don't know why, but the title just drew me in a lot, even to be in the back of my memories until right now, when I'm 15.

So I just wanted to read this book for the sake of reading it, because I wanted to so badly like 5 years ago. So I decided to go for it, even though the genre of this book is probably for elementary school kids. So i did, and yeah, it was really kiddish. I never realized how I read these kind of books
Natilie
Jun 09, 2009 Natilie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was really weird the fact that she thought that the boy next door could be her twin was odd. And it was all because they had the same b-day and he was mean and nice. Like I have acted like a sister to one of my friends well most them anyway I just thought it was weird.
Samantha
Jul 12, 2013 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taryn and Jeff have been best friends since they were babies. it never mattered they they were boy or girl,until the start of 6th grade. then it seemed all Jeff cared about was soccer and the guys. Find out how Taryn deals with everything in The Boy Next Door, by Laura Dower.
Daisy Larco
Aug 06, 2009 Daisy Larco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The boy next door by Laura Dower is about a girl taryn and her best friend jeff who are about to enter the 6th grade. Taryn has no feeling for Jeff intill now so will she fall for Jeff.
Hannah
Jul 30, 2008 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was an amazing book and it was one of my favorite book, its about friendship mostly!
Stephanie
Nov 23, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favorites
This is the cutest book ever!! I read this book when I was eleven or twelve. I loved it, and I read the other Candy Apple books. I recently just bought this book, because I remember how much I loved it. So, this book was just sitting on my shelf, and I was in the mood to read a cute, simple book. This was the book I was looking for. The book is so short, but I needed a break from reading big books. I loved the characters, and I like how the book is about friendship. At the end, it can be conside ...more
Amanda jimenez
I think this book was great! It was very riveting ! Many kids can relate to this type of situation.
Summary- This book was about a girl named Taryn who starts to like her next door neighbor Jeff. She never really liked him like that untill the 6 th grade. thats when things start to change!Read the book to find out more!!!!!
Shanda
Feb 11, 2012 Shanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very confusing to me.First they were friends.But when middle school hits there having crushes on each other.But it was really cool since one of them played soccer.Otherwisethe whole confusion,this is a really good book.I would reccomened it to people of all ages.
Darleine
Apr 20, 2009 Darleine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really interseting, because it's about this girl Taryn and boy Jeff, trying their best to get through middle school and still be friends.
It thought me try to never forget your friends because they will always help u at a time of need.
Beka
Apr 14, 2009 Beka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this girl who is in love with her best friend they new each other forever and once they get in to middle school he get's all cool and she get's glasses and they discover that they like each other
Savannah
I really liked this book! I think who ever is reading this review right now should read it and all your friends should too. It's really cute, sweet, and I really like the plot in the story.
Qaila ross
Feb 02, 2010 Qaila ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so far it is about a girl who is going to junior high school for thgew first time and she for the first tiome is going to be in a different class and different floor.
Theresa
This is a cute story about 2 best friends who start to like each other. I didn't really enjoy it. I thought it could've been a little bit more specific.
Ally
Mar 03, 2008 Ally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i liked this book alot it was something most girls can relate to .You should totally read it!
Mrs. Bahns
Apr 17, 2009 Mrs. Bahns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: claire
This book is so cute i love it i defenitily recomend it!
Candide
Jul 30, 2011 Candide rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like how it's from Taryn and Jeff's point of views.
Lindsay
Oct 05, 2009 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish some boy could be my next door neighboor.
Noel
Sep 27, 2013 Noel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness. This book is great!:)
tree hugger
Ileana
Sep 04, 2008 Ileana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved it!!
Olivia Whitmore
Jun 02, 2009 Olivia Whitmore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love this book
Irena
May 19, 2013 Irena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good! I really enjoyed it. This book has been sitting on my shelf since I was 8 years old! I think it was about time that I read this. This book changes the point of view, from 2 people, Taryn and Jeff. They have been best friends since they were in diapers! Now it's the summer of 5th grade, right before they officially turn 6th graders! They are both really nervous to leave their elementary school and start middle school. This is gonna be their first year apart, not having ...more
Kenzie Blue
Mar 01, 2014 Kenzie Blue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
BEST BOOK EVER. I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES I USED TO READ THIS WHEN I WAS DOWN. IT DIDN'T HELP THAT I WAS GOING TO GET GLASSES, AND I WAS REALLY SELF-CONSCIOUS. UGH, IT URKS ME THAT NO ONE HAS LIKED THIS BOOK THE WAY I HAVE. I THINK IT WAS A GOD SENT GIFT. WHENEVER I TOLD MY MOM I WOULD ONLY READ NEW BOOKS, SHE FORCED ME GO TO A THRIFT SHOP AND I FOUND THIS BOOK, EVER SINCE ME AND LAURA DOWER HAVE BEEN BEST FRIENDS (WELL IN MY MIND).
Cathyl
Feb 29, 2016 Cathyl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's pretty much a story about a girl and a boy who were friends every since they were teeny tiny children. Conflicts crop up when 6th grade comes around the corner. Misunderstandings happen and argument erupt. Through thick and thin, both Taryn and Jeff make up. Good thing they became good friends again. But, for the record, Taryn does not have a crush on Jeff. She just enjoys the experiences of being with Jeff.
Lianne
I haven't read this book yet, but I am a big fan of Candy Apple Books but I haven't had a Candy Apple Book yet. My birthday is finish it was in August. I all wanted for my birthday, Christmas, New Year, Easter, Mothers Day, and Fathers Day. Was a Candy Apple Book!
Eva Meng
I think this book is weird and also funny. I also think that this book is really a great book for people who like candy books. I think this is also a good book for grown ups such as teachers,parents,or people who read newspaper or also people who like to read on the train because this a great book for a lot of people. The funny parts are in the middle and also the end for example in one of the parts Tarlyn fell on Jeff and he said your superstrength are no match for me Wonder Woman and Tarlyn sa ...more
Nana
Taryn and Jeff have been next door neighbors for as long as they can remember...but now middle school is approaching. Will their always-has-been-next-door-neighbor relationship become more?
Did you guys like it? 2 7 Sep 06, 2012 03:09AM
do you think 5 21 Jan 07, 2009 04:58PM
  • How to Be a Girly Girl in Just Ten Days (Candy Apple #4)
  • Making Waves (Candy Apple #10)
  • Totally Crushed (Candy Apple #7)
  • Miss Popularity (Miss Popularity #1; Candy Apple #3)
  • I've Got A Secret (Candy Apple #8)
  • The Babysitting Wars (Candy Apple #6)
  • The Sister Switch (Candy Apple #11)
  • Callie For President (Candy Apple #9)
  • The Sweetheart Deal (Candy Apple Special Edition, #1)
  • Juicy Gossip (Candy Apple #19)
  • Madame President
Laura Dower worked in marketing and editorial in kid’s publishing for many years before taking a big leap to the full-time life of an author. Since 2000, she has penned 90+ books–from picture books to young adult fiction and nonfiction. Along the way, she had two sons and a daughter. Laura and her groovy family of five live in Yonkers, NY.
More about Laura Dower...

Candy Apple (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • The Accidental Cheerleader (Candy Apple #1)
  • Miss Popularity (Miss Popularity #1; Candy Apple #3)
  • How to Be a Girly Girl in Just Ten Days (Candy Apple #4)
  • Drama Queen (Candy Apple #5)
  • The Babysitting Wars (Candy Apple #6)
  • Totally Crushed (Candy Apple #7)
  • I've Got A Secret (Candy Apple #8)
  • Callie For President (Candy Apple #9)
  • Making Waves (Candy Apple #10)
  • The Sister Switch (Candy Apple #11)