Start by marking “Mourn Not Your Dead (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #4)” as Want to Read:
Mourn Not Your Dead (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #4)

Mourn Not Your Dead (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #4)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  4,291 Ratings  ·  217 Reviews
An important and powerful policeman has been murdered, bludgeoned to death in his own kitchen. Few in suburban Surrey mourn the violent passing of Division Commander Alastair Gilbert, whose arrogance and cruelty were legendary in his village and in wider police circles -- which only makes the job of Scotland Yard investigators Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Sergeant Gem ...more
Published August 24th 2010 by Scribner (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Mourn Not Your Dead, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Alex is The Romance Fox
3,5 stars

In the 4th book, Mourn Not Your Dead, Sergeant Gemma James and Superintendent Duncan Kincaid are asked to help with the investigation of the murder of a high ranking police officer, Alastair Gilbert, at his home in Holmbury St Mary, who is disliked intensely by everyone in the village.

The life in the tiny village is very well depicted and the characters are so well-drawn..from the widow, Claire Gilbert and her daughter, Lucy to the locals - the local doctor, vicar, the pub keeper and hi
Jan
Jun 08, 2017 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good installment of this series. I enjoyed it.
Pat
This is the fifth book by Deborah Crombie I have read. The mysteries have been well and interestingly plotted, peopled with wonderfully drawn, original characters. But that is not to say they are simply good mysteries. They are something more. Each of them, it seems to me, uses the genre to explore central themes.

"Mourn Not Your Dead" is really a book about feminism. It visits so many of the issues and problems which surround the modern woman: spouse abuse, job discrimination, abandonment, sing
LJ
MOURN NOT YOUR DEAD (Pol Proc-Kincaid/James-England-Cont) – G+
Crombie, Deborah – 4th in series
Avon Mystery, 1996, US Paperback – ISBN: 0060789573

First Sentence: His office seemed to shrink as he paced.

Division Commander Alastair Glbert has been murdered in his own kitchen. Superintendents Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James have been called to investigate. It appears the death may be linked to a number of small burglaries which have occurred.

However, the as they investigate, they find Gilbert was no
Sheila
Jul 10, 2013 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Duncan and Gemma are sent to the country to investigate the murder of a superior police officer. There are lots of suspects since no one in the village seemed to like the victim. Duncan and Gemma are also trying to figure out what to do with their attraction to one another.
Nancy Ellis
Jun 08, 2017 Nancy Ellis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this immediately following the previous book, because there was a cliffhanger regarding Duncan and Gemma's relationship.....I had to find out what was going to happen. As much as I like this series.....and it's one of my favorites.....I was annoyed with Gemma through most of the book. She was acting like a spoiled, moody teenager, feeling sorry for herself. It took a couple of tragedies and a few corpses to snap her out of it. But it was still a really good story, and I love the ch ...more
Terri Lynn
This was not exactly my favorite of the Duncan/Gemma stories so far largely because of the way the relationship between Scotland Yard Detective Inspector Duncan Kincaid and his sergeant Gemma James was portrayed.

In the last book, Duncan, who had been divorced by his wife before the series began, had slept with, for no apparent reason, on of the suspect in a murder then turned around and for no apparent reason slept with his sergeant, single mom Gemma who had been abandoned by her toddler son To
Gail
This is a well written mystery but it did not work as well for me as the others that I have read in this series. There are many layers to this mystery that get bit tangled for me. The ending didn't feel smooth to me either,it actually felt a bit abrupt. And I feel a bit confused, did I miss out some how on who killed Jackie?

Rosa, really

A poem I did not write for Sergeant Gemma James:

The end.

Claude
Apr 05, 2015 Claude rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another interesting novel featuring Kincaid and James, maybe not quite as good as the previous one in the series, but still a very good read. Three and a half stars for this one.
Looking forward to Dreaming of the Bones.
Diana-Katry Kornis
Mulle meeldis...Crombie mõrvalood on alati natukene kurvad ja mõtlemapanevad :)
Cindy
Feb 26, 2017 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been quite a while since I read the previous book in the series, but it did not take long to get back in the groove. This was a good mystery (although the number of possible perpetrators was a bit distracting) and a good on-going development of Kincaid and James. I would recommend this book to those who love those very British mysteries and police procedurals.
Lexxi Kitty
The last book I read and reviewed by this author had me starting off my review by noting how reluctant I had been to read that book. It was the third book in a series, and there were indications that the two main characters were getting closer and closer to hooking up. To turning a mystery/police series into a romance. I’d given the first two books by this author 5 stars each. Because they were damn good books. My reluctance and lowered expectations did not lead me to being able to ‘find the goo ...more
Pauline Barlow
Feb 28, 2017 Pauline Barlow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This police procedural moves back and forth from London to the village of Holmbury St. Mary in Surrey. Crombie seems to have a great knowledge of London and small towns , the English countryside, local customs as well as police procedure. The reader should know that Crombie was born and brought up in Texas where she now lives. She did live for a while in England and Scotland. This story shows that country life is clannish as is the police force. The locals don't want to to tell the police anythi ...more
Fanficfan44
Jul 12, 2016 Fanficfan44 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book opened with some leftover business between Kincaid and Gemma from Book 3, but not so much that you couldn’t pick this one up and read it out of order. From there your are plunged right into the murder of a high ranking police official. His body was discovered in his own kitchen by his wife and step daughter. Through their investigation Kincaid and Gemma discover that the victim was not a nice man and was for the most part thoroughly disliked by everyone in the village.

The mystery take
Nancy
May 28, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in this series. Just love it. Can never figure out the murderer until it is revealed in the plot. Suspenseful, exciting....

The murder at Holmbury St Mary was not one that Superintendent Duncan Kincaid of Scotland Yard would relish investigating. A man has been beaten to death in his own home. A man who just happened to be Commander Alastair Gilbert of the Metropolitan Police... Only adding to Kincaid's problems are his tangled personal feelings for Sergeant Gemma James. And in
Donna
Oct 19, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2012
The relationship between Duncan and Gemma is put on the back burner as they solve the mystery of a police officer's death. I really like Crombie's character studies in these books. The mystery itself was well plotted until the very end when the good guys are backed in a corner and the only resolution is for the bad guy to confess. Weak, and annoying. Still, overall a good book.
Carol/Bonadie
Feb 13, 2012 Carol/Bonadie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Gemma Jones/Duncan Kincaid series continues with the team investigating the head bashing of a detective in a neighboring town. As is usual with a murder case, nothing is as it seems, and Gemma and Duncan join forces with the locals to sort out the details. Meanwhile, Gemma and Duncan try to find a way to work with (or around) their growing attraction. A satisfying read.
Apr 06, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read, well-written, with interesting characters and a plot that kept me guessing. Perhaps not as good as the one before, but I liked the ending and am looking forward to the next one.

Second reading just as good as the first. This is one of my all-time favourite series in the crime-mystery-thriller genre. I don't think I'll ever get tired of Duncan and Gemma.
Kyrie
Aug 14, 2013 Kyrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Good mystery and it kept me guessing, over and over and over. I was reduced to assuming the dog must have killed Alistair at one point.

Love the continuing relationship between Duncan and Gemma, too.
Emily
Dec 01, 2013 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detectives
Not as good as the last one, but the city v. village dynamic is pretty good. I just found out that the author of these oh-so-English book is...Texan! Huh. But she lived here for many years and makes frequent visits for research. Maybe I need to take up detective fiction...
Perhaps it was because the victim was made out to be so unlikable, but I really wasn't a fan of this story. It got to the point where I didn't care who killed- there were so many that should have. Also, Gemma's angst (real or imagined) with Duncan seemed contrived and unnecessary.
Alicia
Jun 05, 2016 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I really like this series. Not very grisly, very little bad language, and very interesting story.
CatBookMom
This series continues as more of a character study than a police procedural, and I'm really happy with Michael Deehy's narration and the voices he gives the characters. Very worthwhile.
Shannon
I think this was about 3.5 stars. The mystery was interesting and I fell into the trap of overthinking the situation. I should have figured it out sooner but I had a big conspiracy theory in my head regarding one or both of the newer characters introduced that turned out completely wrong. The book overall seemed like more of a mystery of what would happen between Kincaid and Gemma than finding the murderer, to be honest. And while I enjoyed that, I felt really sorry for Kincaid throughout most o ...more
Kathy
Jun 02, 2017 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-series
This has become my new favorite mystery series, and I'm happy to say that my library system has all of the books, so I am currently doing a marathon. Duncan and Gemma are now lovers and still partners investigating the death of Division Commander Alastair Gilbert, a cruel and arrogant man which nobody is mourning. His teenage stepdaughter hated him, his wife feared him, and Gemma knew him when she was in uniform at the Notting Hill station. Gilbert's suburban home in Surrey take Duncan and Gemma ...more
Lynn
Dec 06, 2016 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A senior police commander is found dead in his home kitchen by his wife and daughter. He has been murdered. Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James are called in to investigate along with the local police force. Even though the crime was discovered right away in the book, the beginning was slow for me. The pace picked up in the last two thirds of the book.

As the investigation gained steam, it was found that the victim was not well liked so there were many suspects. Gemma and Duncan are developing romanti
BeParticular
May 21, 2017 BeParticular rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm grateful that I continue to enjoy this series. Crombie gives her characters, even the minor ones, real presence. The sense of place (and time, since this was published in 1996) is also well done. Gemma and Duncan make an excellent team. The mystery aspect was engaging and kept me guessing. A very good read.
Sally45
Jul 05, 2017 Sally45 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good complicated plot, showing a little bit more depth to the writing. The author is moving away from the cosy fiction genre of the first few stories. The detectives lives are getting more complicated as the stories progress
Jan
Jun 04, 2017 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
  • To Darkness and to Death (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #4)
  • The Malcontenta (Brock & Kolla, #2)
  • The Dirty Duck (Richard Jury, #4)
  • Murder at the Old Vicarage (Lloyd & Hill, #2)
  • An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)
  • Playing for the Ashes (Inspector Lynley, #7)
  • Wings of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
  • The Vows of Silence (Simon Serailler, #4)
  • Dear Departed (Bill Slider, #10)
  • Ten Lords A-Leaping (Father Christmas Mystery, #3)
Deborah Crombie is the author of 15 novels featuring Scotland Yard Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Detective Inspector Gemma James. The 16th Kincaid/James novel, To Dwell in Darkness, will be released by William Morrow in September, 2014.

Crombie lives in McKinney, Texas with her husband, two German Shepherd Dogs, and two cats. She travels to Britain frequently to research her books.
More about Deborah Crombie...

Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #1)
  • All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #2)
  • Leave the Grave Green (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #3)
  • Dreaming of the Bones (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #5)
  • Kissed a Sad Goodbye (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #6)
  • A Finer End (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #7)
  • And Justice There Is None (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #8)
  • Now May You Weep (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #9)
  • In a Dark House (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #10)
  • Water Like a Stone (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #11)