Start by marking “Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)” as Want to Read:
Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)

Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  83,826 ratings  ·  8,410 reviews
A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder....

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, 300 years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end 50 years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaces
Published January 11th 2011 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Across the Universe, please sign up.

Kai Watts No, I see Trebor means. It's like Harry Potter in the way that it's a book so good that anyone and everyone could fall in love with it. (It is SUPER…moreNo, I see Trebor means. It's like Harry Potter in the way that it's a book so good that anyone and everyone could fall in love with it. (It is SUPER GREAT.) But I do have to agree that the two books are in very different genres. Also, I'm a teen and I adore this book.(less)
Cmann The language in this book was pretty clean, but there was some sexual content that was pretty graphic for a YA novel. I quit reading solely because I…moreThe language in this book was pretty clean, but there was some sexual content that was pretty graphic for a YA novel. I quit reading solely because I felt like it was too explicit. It continually describes people "mating" everywhere. It's more than just a short suggestion or two. (less)
1984 by George OrwellThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Best Dystopian Books
33rd out of 380 books — 813 voters
For Whom The Bell Tolls (Vlad Dracula, #1) by Shane K.P. O'NeillThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsShiver by Maggie Stiefvater
A Few Great Reads
13th out of 96 books — 101 voters

More lists with this book...

Ava Oceana

When I found ACROSS THE UNIVERSE at the library, I spent several minutes trying to decipher what the cover was. I finally decided that the cover featured space fish kissing before I realized that it was actually a girl and a boy trying to kiss, Spider-Man style.

Before you laugh, look:

Lip-Locked Fish

Told you.
Kat Kennedy
I've heard it mentioned before that DNF(Did Not Finish)reviews were useless and self-indulgent. Why would someone want to read a review by someone who didn't even finish the book?

My answer to that?

have a fucking cookie

There's always going to be a small fraction of reviewers who don't connect with a book and can't finish it, but to dismiss all DNF reviews, I think, is problematic. Especially for an author.

Because it's not necessarily the reader's fault for not being able to connect to the book. Often there are rooki
I didn't enjoy Across the Universe as much as I thought I would. Like most YA, after the first 100 pages, you know you're reading a novel written for teens. That isn't a bad thing, but readers looking for a deep, complex novel, aren't going to find it here.

ETA: YA is not synonymous with shallow. Some writers think it is, but it isn't. They think that because they're writing for teens, they get a pass to write a book filled with plot holes. I don't think that's the case with Beth Revis, but I jus
Jillian -always aspiring-
I had much trouble forming my thoughts about this book to write a review. Across the Universe is a hard book to describe. Yes, it has that lovely cover that beckons everyone to read it. Yes, it has an interesting premise. Yes, it has all these elements to make it a brilliant read, something fresh and exciting. But, for me, it just didn't give me everything I had wanted.

Dystopias and I have a love-hate relationship. I love The Hunger Games and Unwind -- but others books, like Matched and Wither,
Jessica (priceiswong)
Really enjoyed this! I loved all of the twists and surprises! The characters were just okay though... This could have been a 5 star book, I think, if I'd loved them more! I think Harley was my favorite :'( I'm excited to read on and see where this story goes!
Space is awesome! I say that like I've been there. For all you know, I have. I could be a certified astronaut in the U.S. Space Program who took time off from being in space to write fiction about being in space and that's why I've been on Goodreads so much. I could be.... You don't know.

Okay, so I'm not. I haven't nor probably never will go to outer space, but that doesn't stop me from thinking it's the coolest and most awesomest thing in the universe. Which as a matter of fact it actually is t
Elizabeth Usual
May 20, 2011 Elizabeth Usual rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Feeders,
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Bookstore employee who better hope we never run into each other again.
There were a lot of problems with this book. Some were parts that just fell flat when they should have created some intrigue, and some were full on fail. I think I can divide my issues with the book into four categories: Flat Characters, Obvious Plot Twists, Science!Fail, and Bad Storytelling. I'll keep the spoilers behind cuts, and try to give a fair account and some suggestions for improvement. Let's start with...

Flat Characters:
Amy is a girl. She's got red hair. She likes running. She loves h
Steph Sinclair

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

I have read a few YA dystopian society books and I have to say, I really enjoyed this one. It would have gotten 4 stars, but I found the ending to be a bit predictable. There were also a few things I didn't like. There will probably be spoilers in this review, but I'll indicate where I'm about to reveal something.

Across the Universe is a really cool story about a girl named Amy who is frozen in time for 250 years aboard the space ship Godspeed. However, she is violently a
Juliana Zapata
Estoy impresionada con esta historia, me parece sumamente original, las emociones y el peligro son protagonistas. El libro se pone mejor a cada página, descubrimos las mil mentiras con las que funciona "Fortuna" y nos enamoramos de los protagonistas.

Me ha encantado, espero leer pronto el segundo libro.

Reseña Completa:
This book has one of the most beautiful covers I’ve ever seen but…
I hated this book. HATED it.

Why? Because all the characters sucked. Elder is just a horny boy who only thinks with his brain down there whenever he sees Amy, and Amy is just a dumb, pathetic protagonist who can do nothing for herself. The whole time she is either moping or screaming, nothing in between and when she’s moping all she can think about is all the times she missed out with her oh so wonderful boyfriend she left behind (
I really, REALLY wanted to love Across the Universe. I've been eagerly anticipating this book for months. And then...I started reading. And it put me to sleep three nights in a row.

I hate that feeling when a book you've looked forward to for so long turns out to be...meh.

Part of my problem? I read Maria V. Snyder's Inside Out last week, and I couldn't help but make comparisons with Inside Out so fresh in my mind. Inside Out is so unique and compelling that Across the Universe felt flat, weary, a
Hailey (HailsHeartsNyc)
More thoughts later, now I must sleep
A highly underrated book in my opinion. A great mix of science-fiction, dystopia and murder mystery that keeps you guessing until the very last page. Also a great trilogy as a whole! Definitely recommend this.
4.5 stars. The spaceship Goodspeed is on its 300 years long journey to an inhabitable planet, Centauri-Earth. On board are about hundred specialists and their families (bio-engineers, tacticians, sociologists) stored as frozen human cargo in the deep and forgotten bowels of the huge vessel as well as two and a half thousand common inhabitants, who either research plants, weather and livestock for the future socialization or farm and produce goods for the small community. Since an obscure past ev ...more
Emily May
As science-fiction, or as a dystopian space mystery this book was pretty much awesome. I loved the idea behind it: frozen people being transported on a spaceship to a new planet, destined to arrive in 300 years from take-off... but, uh-oh, not everything goes to plan. Someone is reviving the frozen people in their containers with the intention of letting them drown.

I really liked this whole aspect of it, and I've never been a space story fan. I never cared for Star Wars, Star Trek... or anything
Princess Bookie
My Thoughts: Wow, Wow, Wow! I tend to stay away from Sci-fi based novels but this one blew me away. As soon as I saw the summary I knew I wanted to read it, than the cover alone is worth buying it over.

We are introduced to Amy right away and her thoughts and feelings. She is getting ready to be frozen and even the very beginning of the book is very intense. The first few pages made my stomach hurt because I felt so sorry for her because the decision she had to make was huge. Than a few pages la
I'm just going to come right out and say it: This book was BRILLIANT and I absolutely LOVED every moment of it. I devoured it all through the night and have been thinking about it ever since (3 weeks ago).

Where to begin with my (rave-on) review?

It's epic, dystopian, has an impossible romance, mystery, creativity and lots of heart and soul.

The prose: Gorgeous and evocative. For a sci-fi it was so not complicated to follow - it flowed seamlessly.

The whole concept: Mate, it's so well explored. Th
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Lessons learned :
Never trust history.
Never trust doctors.
Never trust scientists.
Never trust technology.
Never trust blanket medication.

Overall my experience with this book was like meeting and falling in love, being excited and happy, then slowly finding out that he's not perfect. He drinks out of the milk carton, he ignores you in favour of sports events and when you finally get his clothes off he's as smooth as a Ken doll but insists he can still have children. Then finding out he's right he c
"A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder."

# First - the cover is absolutely gorgeous (at least I love it) and this is what made me want to read this book.. And so the myth saying that a book with a great cover is always horrible is busted (just) for the moment ;))

# Second, the cover and the beginning of the quote from above are just a bit wrong - this is not really a love story (not so far), we have some romance in it but it is a small part of this book compared to ever
Hello everybody, and welcome to another one of Nessa's reviews. This time we're looking at Across The Universe by Beth Revis, a YA novel set on a dystopian (don't you dare run away!) spaceship.

Before we begin, I have one thing to get out of the way – the cover. So many times I would pick this book up in the shop and focus on the white space, wondering what the hell it was supposed to be. Is it supposed to be a spark made by two worlds colliding? No, the planets are shaped too weirdly. Is it two

Keeper Level Shipper Level Feeder Level

The whole idea of an enormous spaceship is just AMAZING.
Well-constructed world. Brilliantly crafted mystery and suspense.
Severe case of insta-love.

This is nothing I've expected. I'm somewhat surprised.
I did enjoy the book and it's worth reading.
If you LOVE sci-fi, you should definitely pick up this book.

Amy's parents have been chosen to be a part of the secretive space mission to a whole new planet, Centauri-Earth. Amy and her parents have been frozen and p
Favourite quote:- “It is like a piece of my soul had been lost, empty, and it is now filled with the light of a million stars.”

Wow! What an amazing debut. Across the Universe is a book that you will get lost in and completely forget about the rest of the world. Utterly captivating.

It is unique with it’s mix of part space travel, part thriller and part romance. If you are worried that it sounds too sci-fi with all that space travel talk, it is not at all. It will definitely appeal to fans of para
I thought this book was just alright.
I liked it, I enjoyed it, and it was a real page-turner, but I don't think I want to continue on with the series at this point.

I loved the world Beth Revis created, but I feel like there could've been more done with it. I'm sure it's explored in the later books, but especially the first half of this book felt really pointless and empty.

overall I enjoyed it but not enough to read the other books in the trilogy. Maybe someday when my TBR is at 0 I will, but h
sunset shimmer
This review is also available over at my blog.

Well, I'm a little disappointed.

First of all, I'm disappointed at the cover change of this series. This cover, the original, is absolutely gorgeous. I find it sad that they keep changing the covers. The first time I saw the newest covers was when I saw the cover of the third book, and no joke, I thought it was a placeholder at first. When I found out they were the official new covers for the whole trilogy I was like...what?
I picked up ACROSS THE UNIVERSE thinking that it would be a sci fi novel. And while it was--complete with all sorts of cool futuristic spacey technology, I discovered it was so much more than that. ACROSS THE UNIVERSE is like STAR TREK meets THE GIVER bound together by a delicious romance (and lets face it, all the best books will have a delicious romance). Already, I know this will be one of the best books of 2011 for me. I read this book straight through in one day without stopping. Every chap ...more
Stacia (the 2010 club)

3.5 stars. This was a hard book to rate. The first half was 4 star all the way, but something fell off a bit around the middle, and then it picked back up at the end.

Normally, I put a lot more effort into trying to write something worthy of the book, but my excitement about this new series can be summed up into one little sentence : It's about space, man.

That's it. Space. We don't have enough space fiction in YA. This needs to be remedied ASAP. I like where the series is going already, especial
I want to take her into my arms and hold her tight. But at the same time, I know that is that exact opposite of what she wants. She wants to be free, and all I want to do is hold her tight against me. – Elder

For the first time since I woke up, I feel as if this is a place I could learn to love. It’s not Earth, not by any stretch of the imagination – but I’m seeing art and inventions and life that Earth will never know. – Amy

Well, I will say I’m glad I finally finished this book because it’s been
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Where to begin on this review? I have no clue; I have a feeling I’m going to be rambling so I apologize in advance.

What I loved:

• Amy. She is a great character. She is very strong-willed and driven. Once she “wakes up”, she doesn’t waste significant amount of time feeling sorry for herself. She quickly tries to figure out what the hell happened.

• YA vs teen. I often find that a book that is labeled “Young Adult” is really a pre-teen or teen book. Here, while the story is geared towards the young
I unexpectedly LOVED this one, up until the last eight pages, which were bullshit.

(Also the whole nuclear thing annoyed me because that's just not how spacecraft engines work, but I was enjoying the story so much that the science fails washed over me.)

Review to come. Damn those eight pages.
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
I really liked this a lot mostly for the plot and the potential the next two books have. It was just interesting and different from what I've been reading lately. The only thing...Elder is really creepy and weird to me. Just sayin.
  • Spark (Sky Chasers, #2)
  • Hourglass (Hourglass, #1)
  • Neva
  • All These Things I've Done (Birthright, #1)
  • For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1)
  • Tempest (Tempest, #1)
  • Inside Out (Insider, #1)
  • Possession (Possession, #1)
  • Black Hole Sun (Hell's Cross, #1)
  • The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3)
  • Burn Bright (Night Creatures, #1)
  • Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)
  • The Forsaken (The Forsaken, #1)
  • Fateful
  • Ashfall (Ashfall, #1)
  • 172 Hours on the Moon
  • The Declaration (The Declaration, #1)
  • Dearly, Departed (Gone With the Respiration, #1)
Beth Revis wrote her first books as a student in classrooms, when the professors did not hold her interest and she jotted down stories instead of taking notes.

Beth writes science fiction and fantasy novels for teens. Her debut novel, ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, will be published by Razorbill/Penguin in Spring 2011. Beth is represented by Merrilee Heifetz at Writers House.

Beth also runs a blog on writing
More about Beth Revis...

Across the Universe (3 books)
  • A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2) Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3) As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5) The Body Electric Love Is A Choice (Across the Universe, #0.6)

“I never thought about how important the sky was until I didn't have one.” 624 likes
“(D)reams are like that: they go in and out of memories and scenes, but they're never real. They're never real, and I hate them because they aren't.” 492 likes