Me & Jack

Me & Jack

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Joshua Reed is used to moving around since his dad became an Army recruiter and the Vietnam War broke out. But their newest home, in the mountains of Pennsylvania, feels special somehow. Josh has started to make a new friend, his dad has finally allowed him to get a dog, and Jack-with his strange glowing ears and the way he seems to understand Josh's feelings-is like no ot...more
Published June 21st 2011 by Walker Childrens

Natalee
Kate
Danette Haworth's ME AND JACK is a wonderful, classic boy-and-his-dog story in some ways, but it goes far beyond that, too. Set during the Vietnam War, it takes a look at attitudes and biases from a handful of angles, most notably through the main character's father's position as a wartime recruiter new in town. Full of enough humor and adventure to appeal to reluctant readers, this is also a great look at the home front during the Vietnam years. Pair it with Cynthia Kadohata's CRACKER: THE BEST...more
Becca
MG can be a hard genre in which to find good historical fiction book. There are many wonderful action/adventures, sci-fi based books. Be prepared to get your hands on this book! Me & Jack is set in Vietnam era US. The story opens with our MC, a young boy, moving to a new town in PA with his widowed father, an Air Force recruiter. Having lost his mom, his friends at the last base, Jack enters the picture. A boy and his dog is certainly a classic story set-up BUT the chosen era and Danette's l...more
Annika Barranti
Me & Jack is a charming coming-of-age story about a boy, his dog, his father, and friendship during the Vietnam war. I couldn't put it down and I cried at the end. I've read all three of Danette's books, and they're all so different from one another. I couldn't choose a favorite between Me & Jack and Violet Raines, but I did give both to my husband immediately after I finished them, and I only give him books I really love.
Travis
Was fortunate enough to get my hands on an advanced review copy. Loved the book for it's ability to entertain while also educate and shed light on a time and mindset that few kids today have though about. Given the fist person POV the author did an outstanding job of presenting the dilemma from several different angles. I immediately handed the book to my boys and they are now happily reading it.
Jerilyn
Dannette Haworth has done it once again. Not only has she written, successfully I might add, violet raines and the Summer of Moonlight Secrets and has now written Me and Jack. From her talented descriptions to her witty humor, there is nothing that she can change. I loved this book all the way, but mostly Danette. Me and Jack is a great book for really anybody, and I can't wait to read the next.
Edward Sullivan
The primary plot is classic "boy and his dog" which is nicely done but there are also some richer, more complex themes woven in and the result is an engaging middle grade novel with a good bit of depth. The climax was quite suspenseful.
this was a great book the write wrote from several point of views i enjoy reading it i got this book as a giveaway on goodreads.com and now my children are reading it so far there loving it
Linda
What a great boy/dog story set during the Vietnam era, with realistic emotions, not at all sappy.
Maddy
It kinda reminded me of Where the Red Fern Grows. . .
Kathie Jackson
The Vietnam war is on and Joshua and his father, an Air Force recruiter, just moved again, this time to the mountains of Pennsylvania. Josh's mom died a few years back and he's having a hard time trying to make new friends once more. Things start looking up when Joshua's dad gets Jack, an odd-looking but wonderful dog, whose distinctive looks get Joshua noticed by some kids in the neighborhood. Then all of the sudden bad things start happening - property damage and pets turning up dead - which h...more
May 22, 2012 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Linda George
A boy and his dog-a theme that is very popular again this year. Add the many emotions about returning soldiers from the Vietnam War and you have an historical novel that kids will enjoy and learn from. I know for me, someone who moved often and who lived through the madness and sadness of the returning soldiers, the feelings in this book resonated with me.

Other issues that that are handled well are bullies and guns.
This book has a lot to offer. I think it went on a bit too long but still, I en...more
Hiba Siddiqui
If I could rate this book ten stars, i would. This is an amazing book about proving something wrong
Susan
Great boy and dog story set in the Vietnam war era. There was just the right amount of historical background while really getting to the themes of loyalty, bullying, forgiveness,friendship, etc. I think most middle school readers will relate to the relationships between Joshua and his dog and Joshua and his father. It was rather predictable, but enjoyable nonetheless.
Lucy
This was a much better story then I expected! It takes place during the Vietnam War era, which most kids would not be familiar wit, so they'd need some background about how soldiers were mistreated upon return to the states.

This story lends itself to themes about bullying, friendship and war veterans.

I liked it a lot.
Cheri
I enjoyed this story, but found it repetitive at times and a little drawn out. The cover led me to believe the dog in the story was a Doberman, but it's not. The breed of dog is a mystery, so I won't give it away. Topics include: Vietnam War sentiments, dog, friendship, bullies, country life - Pennsylvania.
Grant
Connor (my 6 year old) picked this out at the library and I've got to say he picked a good one. It's a simple story of an air force kid and his dog set during the Vietnam war era. This one made me look forward to story time a bit more than usual.
Bailey Albert
I wish I could give this six stars! I don't really know how to explain WHY I liked it so much but, it was amazing! I love how the author picked a Pharaoh Hound as Jack. Pharaoh Hounds make remarkable family members and a lot of people don't know about them.
Kristi
I'm not even a dog person, but I love Danette Haworth's writing. Me & Jack explores interesting topics and weaves a war far away to a war in Josh's backyard. Wonderful!
Danette
This story is very close to my heart, and I can't tell you how happy it makes me to have the story available to young readers.
Debbi
want to keep this one very good
Helene
I read this with my almost 10 year old. He loved it and wished there was another book about Joshua and Jack. A nice story that I would recommend to any child this age
Grace
Really good
Mindy Ann
Mindy Ann marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Jenna
Jenna is currently reading it
May 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning The Summer of Moonlight Secrets A Whole Lot of Lucky Me & Jack Der Sommer, Als Ich Beinahe Vom Blitz Getroffen Wurde