Start by marking “Vicious Little Darlings” as Want to Read:
Vicious Little Darlings

Vicious Little Darlings

Sarah Weaver wasn't looking forward to starting at an all-girls school. But that was before she met Maddy. Maddy and her best friend, Agnes, are fun and rich and interesting-and for some reason, they seem to really like Sarah. Before long, Maddy and Agnes have moved Sarah into a big house off campus, where they cook together, buy each other presents, and share each other's
Published June 21st 2011 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Vicious Little Darlings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vicious Little Darlings

Vone Savan
Nov 26, 2011 Vone Savan rated it really liked it
*4.5 Stars*

I love off the wall things; things that are weird and strange and random and goofy and campy and ridiculous. Things that aren’t always so logical or predictable or sensible. Off the wall things add color and flavor to the world; and often times, these things crack me up. And I like to laugh—a lot! Vicious Little Darlings by Katherine Easer encompasses this “off the wall” attitude that more fiction needs to embrace—and then some.

Sarah Weaver, a senior in high school, lives with her si
PhobicPrerogative
*some spoilers

Vicious Little Darlings did not make sense. Period.

Some shit in this book was just too effing weird.
Taking in a deer that you accidentally ran over to nurse back to health? To your dorm? Christ, I understand mothering a chipmunk, bird or something else but a deer? One that has some sort of irritable bowel syndrome? If the author was advocating for PETA or the fact that she adores all creatures great and small, this was a disgusting, bizarre and unreal way to do it.

Sarah, as a prota
 May
Aug 14, 2011 May rated it it was amazing
Here is the entire review on my blog: http://oopsireadthatbook.blogspot.com/2011/08/vicious-little-darlings-by-katherine.html
Disturbing.
Chilling.

For a YA book it was surprisingly gritty and unexpected.

The book was promoted as being similar to Pll.

But it’s not.

It’s so much better.

The summary doesn’t really give out much and that was perfect because I devoured the book hungrily. I couldn’t put it down till I finished it. And even when I did it left me breathless and I couldn’t really disconnect fr
Apricotteacup
Oct 14, 2012 Apricotteacup rated it did not like it
Katherine Easer’s Vicious Little Darlings is an unbelievable train wreck. It’s compelling awful. The plot is so peculiar and the characters are so unlikable that sheer bafflement will power your journey through page after page of illogical nonsense, but your effort will never be rewarded with cleverness or good writing. In short, if you’re at all tempted to check this book out based on all the positive reviews it has here on goodreads, don’t.

VLD reads like the diary of a fickle teenager sufferin
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
2.5

i'm not sure if i'm being a bit too generous or harsh with my rating but maybe you can decide for yourself by the end of this review.

sarah's grandmother basically sends her packing to an all girls school after she catches her with a guy. there she meets her roommate- maddy - and maddy's best mate agnes. as she starts spending more time together with these girls, she eventually gets caught up in their world - and not for the better.

very early on it becomes apparent that something isn't quite
Annie McElfresh
Mar 24, 2011 Annie McElfresh rated it it was amazing
Reading, Writing and Waiting

A good young adult contemporary novel, to me, is gritty and real, with a plot that is reasonable, yet has a great twist. A twist I can't guess by the second chapter of the novel. Well, my friends, I am so happy to tell you I found that in Vicious Little Darlings.

I really didn't know what to expect when I started this ARC, but when I got into chapter one, I fell in love with the main character, Sarah. She was different, with tons of flaws, which makes a great character. I love how she had this
Stephanie
May 13, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This is the most crazy, insane, messed up book I have read in a long, long time. Not saying I didn't like it, because I did, it was just crazy. I'm usually good at figuring out what's going to happen in a book, but with this one I could never quite put my finger on it. I could never figure out who was or wasn't telling the truth. And I like that, it's nice to read a book that you can't figure everything out until the very end. I think it's also nice to see an author do something that's totally ...more
Madison Calhoun
Oct 09, 2016 Madison Calhoun rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Okay, Vicious Little Darlings was definitely a weird book. I personally didn't find it as scary or disturbing as some of the other reviewers did (probably because I've read so much worse by other authors), but it certainly still had its fair share of creepiness (especially for a Young Adult novel). The story revolves around three first-years at an all woman's college- Sarah (the narrator), Agnes, and Maddy. Sarah was just an okay character. At the beginning of the novel, I really liked her ...more
Brooke
Dec 10, 2011 Brooke rated it it was amazing
This book has been on and off of my To read list for months now. I think oh this sounds interesting, then see it later on and think ehh, and take it off. Then I'll see someone else add it so I re add it and the process continues. I finally just sat down and said fuck it, I'll read it so I don't keep re adding it. I'm glad I finally sat down and read it.

First things first, some of you are going to want to take this book off you lists: There is a lot of sex mentioned in this book. At least at firs
Rachel
I had numerous problems with this book. Firstly, the main character (Sarah) was dull, vapid, and just clueless enough to come off as really annoying. She sleeps with three or four guys in the course of the book, makes herself "emotionally unavailable" supposedly because of her parents failed marriage-- but then falls in love overnight with a random stranger because he "seems sweet". Also, her sensibilities are childish, contradicting, occasionally downright ridiculous, much like the rest of the ...more
Meagan
Jan 14, 2015 Meagan rated it really liked it
This is more of a 3.5, but I'm feeling generous. There are some great elements to this book, and I enjoyed reading it.

Sarah's a strange character. She has a little bit of the "I'm not like the other girls" syndrome, but it's not overtly stated or anything like that. She's promiscuous and makes some bad decisions, but I found myself invested in how those things would later work into the story.

I enjoy the fact that you don't actually know 100% of the truth behind what Maddy or Agnes are up to. Th
Lindley Walter-smith
Nov 04, 2012 Lindley Walter-smith rated it it was ok
Unpleasant, not very credible, with unlikable characters and a nagging feeling of plot holes and lack of motivation.
Christine
Mar 29, 2012 Christine rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2012
This was completely awful, in every single way possible. I wish I could get back the time I spent reading this :/
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
Jul 09, 2011 Alanna (The Flashlight Reader) rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
What happens when a R.L. Stine Fearstreet book grows up? Vicious Little Darlings is what happens. What a creepy book. It has all the classic elements (sabotage, misunderstandings, murder) mixed with grown up situations.

The characters were only so-so. Sarah, the main character was really lackluster. I felt like she was flat, honestly. Now Agnes and Maddy... hmm... I would have liked to known more about Agnes. You kept getting hints at what she's like and what her home life is like, but there was
Lisa (Badass Bookie)
Jan 10, 2012 Lisa (Badass Bookie) rated it really liked it
The Short Story? – A dark and twisted tale for fans of Pretty Little Liars and Imaginary Girls. Easer has written a sinfully filling debut about what happens when friendship gets real nasty. Addictive and entertaining, Vicious Little Darlings will challenge the meaning of friendship and push the limits of too far. A thriller like no other, Vicious Little Darlings will haunt you long after the last page.

The Long Story? – This book can only be described as the offspring of Pretty Little Liars and
Elizabeth Moffat
Oct 18, 2013 Elizabeth Moffat rated it liked it
I have to admit, I was tempted to read this book from the beautiful cover art, and that it promised an intriguing debut thriller. It is written from the perspective of a girl called Sarah, who is sent to an all-girls school after being caught in a compromising position with a man by her grandmother. Nana is hoping that Sarah, who has a few issues with men and sex (in that she can’t seem to get enough of it!), and is troubled by the absence of an uncaring mother, will straighten herself out at ...more
Kavya
Aug 07, 2013 Kavya rated it it was ok
Get ready for a super-rant.

I have no words. I took up this book because it was an exclusive one on the shelves so I thought it couldn't be to bad. Boy, was I wrong.

I'll start with the positives first.

1.)It was something a lot of people could relate to, having to do with relationships, and school, and the struggles of growing up on your own.

2.) It was different from the usual book. There was no fictional, fantasy-like parts, or unbelievable stuff.

3.) The characters seemed so real, and I seriously
Meghan
Feb 10, 2012 Meghan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of mystery thrillers
Shelves: 2011-dac, need-review
Review also posted at my blog, Books and a Cup of Tea

When I first heard about Vicious Little Darlings, I immediately fell in love with the premise. The fact that it says fans of Pretty Little Liars would love it had me hooked. It's definitely one of the more underrated novels of 2011 and I think it deserves more recognition. It's an amazing mystery thriller and is very creepy!

The characters in Vicious Little Darlings were wonderful. I felt that they were perfectly formed and each had their own f
Annabelle
This book was absolutely nothing like I was expecting.
First of all, I wasn't expecting the protagonist to be so damn amazing. Sarah Weaver is a complete person, with complexities and faults, and she actively participates in the world around her- making moves and mistakes that create consequences and push events into motion. She's funny and witty and a little strange and I just love her.
I honestly wish she was given a better story to live in.
Let me just say that I could not put this book down. I
Anna  Smyth
Jan 17, 2016 Anna Smyth rated it did not like it
Vicious Little Darling has a promising premise that unfolds in a terrible story.
There is no plot just random non-stop nonsense!I read it till the end because I was hoping that there was a reason behind it all.
It's hard to empathise with a protagonist like Sarah who sleeps with her new friend's boyfriend just because they were alone.

Maddy and Agnes are just as demented, random psychos, but Sarah stays with them because they're such good friends(I still can't remember when they became such close f
Kayla
Sep 24, 2011 Kayla rated it did not like it
Vicious Little Darlings is a gripping novel which you will either hate or love. The one thing that doesn’t change is the knowledge you will want to read it through time after time. Emotive and diabolical, Katherine Easer’s first novel is nail biting and packed with drama and a touch of the paranormal.
From a broken home Sarah Weaver has two choices, have her Nana pay for her tuition at Weatherly Women’s Collage or make her own way at UCLA. Poorer than poor Sarah chooses the former- not that her
Marie
Aug 10, 2011 Marie rated it it was ok
I didn't like this one too much. The main character Sarah was an unlikeable skank, and the book was mostly really boring - the build up of Sarah's relationship with Agnes and Maddy took forever. The good stuff happened a few chapters after the fawn died. I never was able to muster up any sympathy or caring for Sarah at all. I thought the relationship between Agnes and Maddy was far more interesting. I only finished it to see how many random strangers Sarah would sleep with (only two; three if ...more
Olivia
Jun 13, 2012 Olivia rated it it was amazing
Vicious Little Darlings is one of the best books I have ever read. EVER. Katherine Easer has sculpted a novel which is perfect in all areas. Her writing is descriptive and detailed, she has created deliciously deceptive characters and her storyline is gripping. I devoured this book, every word, every chapter drew me deeper into the story; I was totally enthralled. The book is told in Sarah’s point of view, a poor, family-less teenager who finds herself in some complicated and sometimes hilarious ...more
Susan Williams
Nov 12, 2013 Susan Williams rated it it was ok
Shelves: best-for-nobody
I like teen trash probably more than most, so I picked this one up to get my fix based on the book jacket.
I got through the book, but was tempted to give up more than once. The main character, Sarah, is unrealistically slutty. The other two, Maddie and Agnes are completely obnoxious. None of these characters invite empathy and are the worst role models yet. The Pretty Little Liars crew seem saintly compared to this trashy trio.
Maddie and Agnes are old pals who invite Sarah to move in with them.
Chelsea
Aug 11, 2011 Chelsea rated it really liked it
This was an interesting story. It had quite a lot of sexual content so I would recommend this book for mature teens. The story revolves around a strange intimate friendship that is unconventional and intense. I did not find this one creepy or scary like other readers but it was chilling. You knew something was not right throughout the whole book so that made it a real page turner. The ending was rather bizzare but worked. All in all I really enjoyed this one.
Anna
Jan 09, 2013 Anna rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
I've never read Pretty Little Liars, but I assume this book is Pretty Little Liars-esque. It is a lot like The Innocents by Lili Peloquin. So, if you like that sort of thing, this is for you. I like my non-sci-fi a little more romancey, or a little less psychotic, or something. It is not that the writing is bad or that there are flaws in the storyline, so don't let my opinion keep you from reading the book. It's just not my thing.
Helen
Sep 24, 2012 Helen rated it it was ok
When I finished this book, I wasn't sure what to rate it. After thinking about the characters, the randomass/unbelievable plotline with the deer, and the anti-climatic ending, I've decided on two stars, because really, it was...okay. I can't say it wasn't intriguing at times. I think I would've enjoyed it more if the MC wasn't so unlikeable and most of the plot wasn't so unbelievable.
Alayna
Apr 30, 2012 Alayna rated it really liked it
I literally could not put this book down. I just couldn't figure out who to trust, and I couldn't stop reading until I reached a point where I thought I knew... And only after that when I picked up the book again did I figure out something new that made me doubt my earlier assumptions. The ending was SUCH a surprise! LOVE-LOVE-LOVED THIS BOOK!!!
Alex
Jul 24, 2011 Alex rated it it was amazing
just think the roomate just 15x amped. i usually don't read thriller/suspence books because after a while it gets dragged out and i end up skipping 50 pages and reading the last chapter. However this book didnt make me feel that way infact i didnt even know that this book was SO complex and complicated intil the very end. i really enjoyed it and i would recommend it(:
Jessie Wilkens
Nov 18, 2012 Jessie Wilkens rated it it was ok
Sigh. This could have been great, but the protagonist had such a bland personality it was difficult to care. Her relationship with her boyfriend was erratic and her relationships with her friends were too difficult to relate to.
Vicious Little Darlings 5 32 Nov 09, 2013 04:18PM
Whos read this book before? 1 6 Oct 11, 2012 03:06AM
  • In My Father's Den
  • Memory: Stadt der Träume
  • Melody Burning
  • Future Imperfect (Future Imperfect, #1)
  • Displacement
  • He's After Me
  • The Convent
  • By Any Other Name
  • The Right Song
  • You Don't Even Know
  • Popular
  • Kill You Last (Thrillogy, #3)
  • Like Mandarin
  • Flyaway
  • Dead Rules
  • Girl Wonder
  • Ladybird Ladybird
  • The Imaginary World of...
Katherine Easer was born in Kansas City, Kansas, and now lives in Los Angeles. VICIOUS LITTLE DARLINGS, her debut YA novel, will be published by Bloomsbury in June 2011.

Author photo by Kenneth Dolin

More about Katherine Easer...

“Here's something I've learned from seventeen years of living: there's nothing you can do to make someone love you.” 19 likes
“A few weeks ago I had a dream. I dreamed I was back at the house, in the red room, reading my microeconomics textbook. Maddy outside playing with Hope, and Agnes was preparing dinner. It was just like old times. I was elated. I knew all along that they weren't really dead. It was all just a terrible mistake. Maddy joined me in the library. Strangely, she didn't smell like anything. Not her usual crème brulee or green apples or candy. That's when I realized she was dead, though I didn't know I was dreaming. She apologized for everything and then proceeded to explain why things had turned out the way they had. Her story made complete sense. It was what I needed to hear. Finally I had an answer. Finally I could let go. And then she vanished
When I woke up, in a pool of sweat, I couldn't remember a thing Maddy had said.”
3 likes