Start by marking “Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under Her Bed (Junie B. Jones, #8)” as Want to Read:
Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under Her Bed (Junie B. Jones, #8)

Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under Her Bed (Junie B. Jones #8)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  6,040 ratings  ·  237 reviews
Barbara Park’s New York Times bestselling chapter book series, Junie B. Jones, is a classroom favorite and has been keeping kids laughing—and reading—for more than twenty years. Over 60 million copies in print and now with a bright new look for a new generation!

Meet the World’s Funniest Kindergartner—Junie B. Jones! Junie B. knows there’s no such thing as monsters. Mother
Published June 24th 1997 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under Her Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under Her Bed

Dog Days by Jeff KinneyJunie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business by Barbara ParkJunie B., First Grader by Barbara ParkDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyRodrick Rules by Jeff Kinney
Good Books For Anyone
11th out of 70 books — 109 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussAre You My Mother? by P.D. EastmanHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
Best books for remembering childhood
10th out of 118 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

I thought this was cute, but my son couldn't handle it! Junie B Jones is a mini version of me.
Book Girl
This book is about a girl named Junie B Jones. At school her friend told her that there was a monster under her bed. And she didn't want to believe him but she did so she asked her best friend how to
make the monster go away. Her Best friend told her how but you will have to read the book to find out what happens. Junie B. Jones is a series so if you like this one read the others.
Lauren Iuppa
I loved Junie B. Jones as a child they were my favorite childhood books as I was got older and more familiar with reading. I feel like the series of the Junie B. Jones books are great for the older generation. I found that reading the series again because I love them they all have messages to children. I enjoy these books so much and love the message they convey for children.
Dominique Woodbridge
This book is a good book for transitional readers. It is about a young girl who believes she has a monster under her bed. I think that this book would be best for second or third graders. This age group would be interested in this book because they can easily relate to the main character. This book would be used for independent reading. Children who are interested in a funny book about a child just like them would love this book. This book has short sentences, about 6 or 7 words. The short sente ...more
Brittany Dalziel
Personal Reaction: I thought that this book was pretty cute. I know that if I were younger I would have liked this book a lot more. The only thing I didn't enjoy was how repetitive and simple the story line was in how really all it was about is Junie B. Jones thinking there was a monster under her bed. I completely understand why there was not much of a plot since this is a transitional book for younger kids and so it is supposed to be simple.

Purpose: The purpose of this book is for young child
Lovmelovmycats Hart
My daughter loves these books. But the misspellings bug the heck outta me. Some people say, "That's how kids that age talk". I disagree. When my five year old daughter makes gramatical mistakes, I correct her, and she learns. Junie B. Is so annoying because she does not seem to want to learn. The books are less bad as stand-alones, because the lack of character development over the series is so disappointing.
Adorable. Barbara Park really captures how children think, act, and speak. There's some controversy about the language used - that the improper use of grammar and incorrect pronunciation of certain words will have a negative effect on the way children speak - but I think that's how kids talk regardless. Older kids that read the books already know better and can see the humor in Junie B.'s mistakes.
Jill Marks
Junie B. Jones is a classic children's series. I remember reading some of these books as a kid. In this book, Junie B. is scared of the monster under her bed. Even though her daddy told her that there were no such things as monsters - daddys are supposed to say that. Junie B. bugs her mom and dad relentlessly until they finally suck up the monster with the vacuum cleaner and run it over with the car. The Junie B. Jones series is perfect for early readers. If I were to use any of the Junie B. ser ...more
The second graders I read this to loved it. It kept their attention and they thought it was hilarious. I hated the horrible grammer though. I know Junie B is a kindergartener in this book but I don't like to read such poor grammer to students. I had to correct all of her dialogue.
Piper Hall
The funniest part is when she called the t-rex, T-Dotty.
One hundred thousand million stars.
We live in a world where little girl's toys are horrifically sexified and a girly image is the ideal shown in the media. It's started up early, in little girl's shows and books. It makes girls like Junie B. Jones rare gems.

Let me describe her to you. She's a five year old whose best dress has a dinosaur on it. One of her favourite things to do is wear her grandpa's tool belt and help to fix the toilet. She's a nutball, she's got a crazy sense of humour, and she's utterly unique. She has her ow
Jul 27, 2011 Libby added it
I can agree with Junie B. thinking that she has a monster under her bed. When I was little I thought that there was a monster in my closet. I found out later that there was no monster in my closet just my clothes. Junie B. discovers that her school pictures are funny because she is making a stinky face in the picture and her mom is laughing at the pictures because her daughter's face is so funny. Junie discovers drool on her pillow when she comes home from school and she wonders if the drool cam ...more
Brian Breese
Feb 19, 2013 Brian Breese added it
Shelves: edre-4870
What? The story opens with Junie B. taking school pictures. She takes her individual portrait and then the class picture. While lining up for the class picture she stands next to Paulie Allen Puffer, who tells Junie B. that his brother says that everybody has a monster under their bed and that explains why she finds drool on her pillow in the morning. Grace also tells Junie B. that her sister says monsters can turn themselves invisible. Junie B.’s parents and grandparents have told her time and ...more
I just finished reading this to my daughter. We both were laughing the entire time. If you want to hear the infectious laughter of your little one before bed, read this book by, Barbara Park. A little girl named, Junie B. narrates the story in her persistent, rather loud kindergarten voice. This makes it all the more so, funny! A must read bedtime story. If your kids are used to you reading to them, the made-up words will automatically register as such.
I love Junie B. Jones. When I was a kid I wasn't actually allowed to read her books, because according to my lovely mother "that little girl gave you IDEAS.". Which while true made me in my opinion a much more interesting and enjoyable child. Junie B. Jones is my Patronus. Junie B. Jones understands how to get rid of a monster and does so quite effectively in this book. I've never read a book about her I didn't believe deserved 5 stars.
A book about Junie’s conviction that a monster exists under everyone’s bed (“why do you think mommies and daddies sleep together?”). Along the way she comes up with humorously outrageous excuses for not going to bed. At the same time, it’s picture day at school, and Junie cannot resist lecturing the cameraman. We also get the usual dose of Junie’s relentless energy and vivid imagination.

A fine addition, if not as funny.
Haruna Saka
This book:)
"Junie B. Jones has a monster under her bed"
By Barbara Park

7 summary:)
Pictures-Paulie(One of her friends)-invisible-Monster-Bed-Scary-drool

1 discussion question:)
Q: When you were child, did you believe monsters or ghosts as Junie B did?
A: Actually, I've NEVER believed any kinds of ghosts... It is because I knew that I would be afraid of them and wouldn't sleep well. So, I avoid DVDs and TV programs connected with ghosts and monsters every time. I don't understand my
Katherine Lima
this book is about june b jones being scare about a monster that she thinks is under her bed and i think is a wonderful book cause it shows kids that they don't need to be scare of things that is just a imagination that they have thinking that is something under there bed or that someone is watching them so this a good book for kids thta rae scare of something.
Bossy Kiya (Jakiya)
Junie thinks that there are lots of ghostly things under her bed. In another one of the Junie B. Jones series books, Junie B. is having yet another dilemma she has to solve. In this story, Junie B’s friends from her kindergarten class convince her that there is a monster under her bed, even though Mommy and Daddy say there is no such thing. Junie B. is then terrified of what lies beneath her bed. Until, she gets the terrific idea of putting a bad school picture of herself under the bed to scare ...more
Mavis Koo
I give it five stars because her friend says that there is a monster under her bed and she believes it and every night she is scared,that when her mom turns off the lights she pretend to be asleep and after that she looks for the monster under her bed and I sometimes get that feeling too!That is why I give it five stars.
How many kids have worried about a monster under the bed? Well Junie B thinks there is one under hers and she is afraid it might eat her toes since they look like "little wiener sausages". She gets a great way to get rid of it from Gracie, and Grandma tries to help her even driving over the laundry bag they used to vacuum up the monster. Only Gracie had a trash compacter and its probably not "flatso". Her picture from picture day is the one way to fix it and even her mother agrees with her metho ...more
I like the Junie B Jones book because in the book, Junie B was funny because she kept explaining about (annoying stuff) to her classmates and she thinks she has a monster under her bed and kept waking up her family saying that there is a monster under her bed every single night and kept waking up her mom and dad.
chelsea simon

These were a big part of my childhood and I now enjoy reading them to younger kids. They make me laugh even more now because as an adult I can appreciate the humorous things that come out of a child's mouth. Always a joy to read.
Excellent book for starting a conversation with your children about their fears of monsters in the bed or in the closet. You could even let your child do what Junie B did to solve her fear. Though not with school pictures!

Title: Junie B. Jones has a Monster Under Her Bed

Author: Barbara Park

Series: Junie B. Jones #8

Summary: There's no such thing as monsters. Mother and Daddy even said so. But then why is there monster drool on Junie B.'s pillow? Oh, no! What if Paulie Allen Puffer is right -- what if she really does have a monster under her bed? If Junie B. goes to sleep, the monster might see her feet hanging down. And he might think her piggy toes are yummy little wiener sausages!

Review: Kind of scary. A
Apr 21, 2015 Faith added it
I read to my sister a LOT. When I ask her which book it'll be that night, this is one of her go-to series. I have a whole bunch of these, and I used to love them too! They're still pretty cool.
This is the book that Kate chose for reading books for at least 15 hours this summer. The books was actually pretty funny. Written in a kind of kid's dialect, but the kindergarten-aged narrator talks worse than Kate.
Its about a girl name Junie B. Jones an one day her an her firends were talking about a monster being under there beds but they didnt no Junie B. Jones were scard so when she tryed to sneak of a girl name grace said junie i no your not afird there might be a monster under your bed do you an she said no am just tired i think i need to go home an get some sleep but she lied of corouse so she ran home an told her grandmother about what had happend she was just thinking I think it is true about a mo ...more
  • Amber Brown Wants Extra Credit
  • High Tide in Hawaii (Magic Tree House, #28)
  • Judy Moody: Around the World in 8 1/2 Days (Judy Moody #7)
  • Mrs. Roopy Is Loopy! (My Weird School, #3)
  • The Ninth Nugget (A to Z Mysteries, #14)
  • Two Times the Fun
Barbara Park received over 40 awards for her books, including 25 Children's Choice awards.

Park was the daughter of a merchant and a secretary, Doris and Brooke Tidswell. She grew up in Mount Holly Township, New Jersey. From 1965 to 1967, she attended Rider College, later finishing her B.S. in 1969 at the University of Alabama. She married Richard A. Park in 1969. She lived in Phoenix, Arizona for
More about Barbara Park...

Junie B. Jones (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • Junie B. Jones and the  Stupid Smelly Bus (Junie B. Jones, #1)
  • Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business (Junie B. Jones, #2)
  • Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth (Junie B. Jones, #3)
  • Junie B. Jones and Some Sneaky Peeky Spying (Junie B. Jones, #4)
  • Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake (Junie B. Jones, #5)
  • Junie B. Jones and That Meanie Jim's Birthday (Junie B. Jones, #6)
  • Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren (Junie B. Jones, #7)
  • Junie B. Jones Is Not a Crook (Junie B. Jones, #9)
  • Junie B. Jones Is a Party Animal (Junie B. Jones, #10)
  • Junie B. Jones Is a Beauty Shop Guy (Junie B. Jones, #11)
Junie B. Jones and the  Stupid Smelly Bus (Junie B. Jones, #1) Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business (Junie B. Jones, #2) Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth (Junie B. Jones, #3) Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake (Junie B. Jones, #5) Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentime (Junie B. Jones, #14)

“Y are you called the cheese man?” 5 likes