Junie B. Jones Is Captain Field Day (Junie B. Jones, #16)

Junie B. Jones Is Captain Field Day (Junie B. Jones #16)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  4,168 ratings  ·  135 reviews
Published January 2nd 2001 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2001)

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyDog Days by Jeff KinneyJunie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business by Barbara ParkJunie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren by Barbara ParkJunie B. Jones Is a Graduation Girl by Barbara Park
Good Books For Anyone
7th out of 61 books — 58 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussAre You My Mother? by P.D. EastmanHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
Best books for remembering childhood
32nd out of 89 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Harper
I like how she calls her mother "That Woman". Not that I would call my mom that.
Norberto Leyva
In the book ¨Junie B. Jones is Captain Field Day¨ the main character, Junie, competes against another class. Junie is really excited about the day. The excitement extends into the school day, and Junie is selected as captain of the classroom. There are different events the classes compete against each other. Junieś class does really well until she accidentally loses the tag team event for her classroom.

Junie rubs it in that she becomes captain of Classroom Nine and her classmates did not, and s...more
Cesar
“Junie B. Jones Captain Field Day” is about a girl who is in kindergarten. She is excited about the first day of school. When she started to go to school she liked to run. She has a race against other students. Room Nine competes against another class. Junie lost her shoe during the race and everyone was mad at her because she lost. She feels bad about it because the race was important. Junie reminds others that they are there to have fun and not fight.

Junie is a main character and she is kinder...more
Carol Marco
First, for anyone who felt they needed to be "boss" when they were in 1st grade....you'll love this book. Second, anyone who knows "BSB" or my twin sister, Shirley, this book is about her :) ANNNNDDDD, probably about me, too :)

Yes, it's written for 1st-2nd graders....but my 4th graders still love it when I read this book to them the morning before field day....and I read it to them because they get a huge kick out of it and it still makes me giggle.
Anna Burgos
the story was about a girl that was the captain of the class for kindergarden day
Jillybean
Reading aloud to my 6 year old. This is one of the better ones . . . funny!
April
Jillian, my 5 year old, loved it!
Josiah
There's no more accurately telling description I can give of Junie B. Jones and the celebrated series of books about her than to say that they are both an absolute joy. I can completely understand the enormous popularity of the series. Junie B. is hilarious in nearly everything she does; she can turn the simplest new concepts into epically humorous misunderstandings that will leave most readers in stitches long after finishing one of the books. At their best, the Junie B. Jones series is arguab...more

My 6 year old niece decided to take this book out in French from her school's library. She has become very fond of Junie B. Jones and wanted to try one in French (she is in grade one and is in French immersion and can now read quite well in French).

I thought it was really cute how they adapted/translated some of our favorite Junie B. Jones terms. Meanie Jim was Jim la peste. Crybaby William was Bebe-la-la William. The teacher was simply Madame. It made me laugh.

The only thing I didn't notice as...more
Kristina Charnecki
Genre: Contemporary Realism

She’s at it again. Readers continue their journey following our favorite rambunctious kindergartener, Junie B. Jones. Only now, its field day, and she’s determined for her class to be champions, which requires her to step up and lead Room Nine to victory.

a.) A major strength of this book/series is the character development of Junie B. Jones.
b.) Readers cannot help but fall in love with this feisty character. Everything from the way she dresses to the “off the wall” thi...more
Sierra
Great book for a classroom full of Kindergartners! Junie B. Jones is in room 9 and they are having a field day in which they compete against room 8. Their teacher named Mrs. decides that in order to pick their room captain she will put little slips of paper in a container and whoever grabs the piece of paper that says “captain” gets to be the captain of the room. Surprisingly Junie B. ends up getting the piece of paper and is thrilled. Throughout the book she says things that are quite self-cent...more
Aylin Sapiens
Junie B Jones is Captain Field Day is a very interesting book it is funny and worth reading. This book reminded me of days in my childhood when I was in PreKinder and Elementery school it is a book that when you read it it will make you remember some of the little kid drama. Something funny about this book is that when you have smaller siblings in your family like I do you could compare them with Junie B Jones and some of her classmates you could see and compare that there attitude is the same,...more
Katrina
I read this with my six-year-old and the rating is hers. We just received this fourth box set of Junie B. Jones and had to skip ahead to read this one with Junie B. in the cape. This is really funny, having experienced field day with my own kids including the aforementioned six-year-old. As an adult, I can appreciate the teacher's efforts to instill sportsmanship into the kids with less than favorable results.
Libby
Jul 27, 2011 Libby added it
Junie B. learns the important value of teamwork and how to help her classmates work together as a team. She also learns that winning isn't everything and that even if her class loses all the events the important thing is about having fun! She also leans to be a good team sport and cheers and her classmates. The ending is very surprising and I'm not going to give it away. Junie also learns how not to brag because if she brags she is being very rude to her classmates and other people. Barbra Park...more
Bethany
Barbara Park's series "Junie B. Jones" has always been a favorite of mine. I think particularly because it was one of the first chapter books I read by myself and actually enjoyed reading. Any book in the Junie B. Jones series interested me because it was something a little girl like me could relate too. Junie B. Jones is a funny little girl, who tells it like it is, no matter what. In every book Junie B. Jones book Junie B. is in a setting where she ends up learning a lesson, which the reader...more
luhvBOOKS
Title: Junie B. Jones Is Captain Field Day

Author: Barbara Park

Series: Junie B. Jones #16

Rating: ★★★

Summary: Afternoon kindergarten is having a field day, and Junie B. Jones is team captain! Only, here's the problem. Room Eight keeps on winning too many events. And so how will Room Nine ever become the kindergarten champions? As Captain Field Day, will Junie B. find a way to lead her team to victory? Or will it be up to someone else to save the day?

Review: Ah, field day! I love me some competitio...more
Jodi
Sep 20, 2009 Jodi rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: young readers
Tia
Cute book that was a quick read for my 1st grader. These books are always funny and Junie B. is very witty. The problem is that she uses words I don't allow my kids to say ("darned") and she talks about how her boyfriend dumped her which I find strange for a kindergarten book. I certainly don't want my 6 year old having boyfriends and getting dumped.
These books seem almost unavoidable though - they are in the school library and my daughter's teacher reads them aloud in class. I guess the best I...more
Mary
Junie B.'s class is having a field day and she is very excited. Then it is time to choose the Captain for her classroom. She gets the piece of paper with the word Captain on it and is so excited she convinces her teacher to put a cape on her. But during the first game, her shoe flies off and she chases it down and her team loses. Then her team goes on to lose every game to the other team. The teachers keep trying to convince everyone that this is supposed to be fun. But not everyone believes it....more
Madeline Natzke
This is the most recent Junie B Jones book I have read to school age children at my child care center. They love Junie B Jones books, just like I did when I was younger. This one is about Junie B being captain of Field Day for her class, but totally going overboard with it. She makes her classmates upset, but in the end learns a valuable lesson. Junie B Chapter books are a great way to start reading chapter books to your class, especially this one.

Extension: Do a field day with your pre-k. Have...more
Wendy Daniel
I chose the Junie B. Jones series to see what girls in second grade are so interested in. Some parents can't stand Junie because she is rambunctious and a bit nuts. The reaction of the other mothers when I shared this in book talk was horror and disgust. I happen to like this series. Perhaps it's because I have boys, but I liked her spunk and the simple lessons that are taught in each one. As an introduction to chapter books for early readers, it's a great choice. In this volume, Junie wants to...more
Person1234
I loved this book as a kid, and I still love it! Junie B. Jones was my absolutely favorite character to read about as a child, and she still has a special place in my heart! I LOVE YOU JUNIE! :) <3
Michael Goode4
Junie B. Jones is an excellent children book writer. This book is for toddlers five to twelve. Captain Field day is when two kindergarden class go out to the playground and compete against each other in various events. One class is getting beat pretty bad, and they start to get attitudes. In there final event the losing class wins the pull up event on the monkey bars. I didnt really care for this book but if you like little kids book this is your book to read.
Bossy Kiya (Jakiya)
Afternoon kindergarten is having a field day, and Junie B. Jones is team captain! Only, here's the problem. Room Eight keeps on winning too many events. And so how will Room Nine ever become the kindergarten champions? As Captain Field Day, will Junie B. find a way to lead her team to victory? Or will it be up to someone else to save the day? Room nine thinks that theyre going to win but junie steps in. Junie is on a plan to help her and her class.
Marcy
The Junie B. Jones series is an easy read, meant for young elementary students. They are easy for children to connect to - especially kindergartners because they are going through the same things as Junie and having a lot of similar feelings. Kindergartners would love this as a read aloud as they are too hard for them to read on their own. Older children, even up to 3rd and 4th grade would enjoy reading these books on their own.
Stephanie Goldberg
Very cute book. Horrible grammar. The fact that she calls her teacher Mrs And sometimes calls her gramma and grampa by there first names. Not good grammar at all. Author, please change that.
Dolly
Feb 21, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
As Junie's Kindergarten year comes to a close, so does our oldest's Kindergarten. I read this book very slowly, a chapter at a time so we could delay moving onto First Grade, since I know our daughter is very eager to move on herself. We enjoyed this book as much as all the others in this series and we look forward to her graduation next...
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Apr 02, 2013 ↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝ rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: yes
Shelves: y-junie-b-jones
★★★Junie B. Jones Is Captain Field Day (Junie B. Jones, #16)
by Barbara Park

Another funny Junie B. book. It's field day time, and Room Nine needs a captain. And what do you know Junie B. picks the lucky slip of paper. Will she boss the class around or be able to raise their spirits. In Junie B.'s case, I'm going with a little of both along with other kindergarten antics.
Riho Uto
8/1=34min
Junie B said to person who are calling to her"What's wrong with your voice? Do you have a froggie in your throat?"
She thought the person is her friend, but this is her friend's father. Her expression is very funny. I like it.
I also like "That woman has ears like a hawk." Because when Junie B says something bad words, Mrs. hears that and scolds about that.
Ari Slauson
Such a cute book. Junie B. Jones learns the important value of teamwork and how to help her classmates work together as a team. She also learns that winning isn't everything and that even if her class loses all the events the important thing is about having fun. This is a good book for kids to read as a class because it will help each other and the way they act together.
Junie B. 5 17 Mar 17, 2014 08:10AM
  • You Can't Eat Your Chicken Pox, Amber Brown
  • Two Times the Fun
  • High Tide in Hawaii (Magic Tree House, #28)
  • Katie the Kitten Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Pet Keeper Fairies, #1)
  • Stanley in Space (Flat Stanley, #3)
Barbara Park received over 40 awards for her books, including 25 Children's Choice awards.

Park was the daughter of a merchant and a secretary, Doris and Brooke Tidswell. She grew up in Mount Holly Township, New Jersey. From 1965 to 1967, she attended Rider College, later finishing her B.S. in 1969 at the University of Alabama. She married Richard A. Park in 1969. She lived in Phoenix, Arizona for...more
More about Barbara Park...
Junie B. Jones and the  Stupid Smelly Bus (Junie B. Jones, #1) Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business (Junie B. Jones, #2) Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth (Junie B. Jones, #3) Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentime (Junie B. Jones, #14) Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren (Junie B. Jones, #7)