Start by marking “Girls Hold Up This World (Step into reading. A step 2 book)” as Want to Read:
Girls Hold Up This World (Step into reading. A step 2 book)

Girls Hold Up This World (Step into reading. A step 2 book)

Actress Jada Pinkett Smith--wife of superstar Will Smith--lovingly captures the strength, unity, and beauty that live in girls in this poignant photographic book.

"We are sisters of this Earth -- members of one powerful tribe. /Every color, shape, and size, we're united by beauty inside." Artistic photographs enhance the positive message of Jada Pinkett Smith's inspiring po
Published January 1st 2005 by Cartwheel

To ask other readers questions about Girls Hold Up This World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls Hold Up This World

Hannah Morrison
Wish I had this book for International Women's Day! Gender roles are such an issue in elementary school as boys and girls are so influenced by outside sources. This would be an excellent lead in to what strong women are in students lives. A great start to a language arts lesson with meaning.
Kelly Coyle DiNorcia
I got this one when I was pregnant with my daughter over four years ago, and it's still one of my favorites. "Girls hold up this world with a strength that's all their own..." The photos are beautiful and diverse, the text is lyrical and powerful, a great addition to any little girl's library!
Dolly
Aug 18, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading to young children
Great book for little girls - I like the photographs and the poem is nice too. I suppose that I was attracted to the book because of the author, but it is a good book with an inspiring message.
Linda
Dec 07, 2016 Linda rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Very uplifting read with delightful photos!
Cc Fortenberry
Oct 04, 2016 Cc Fortenberry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book is a great "girl power" book. It tells of how great it is to be a girl and lists all the things we can do in a rhyming scheme format. It makes a point to say we as girls should not be limited in what we can do.

I absolutely loved this book. I was told far too often that I couldn't do something because I was a girl and that used to make me so mad. I wish I would've had this book then! I loved that the pictures in this book were multicultural and all-inclusive.

I would use this book in th
Gypsy
Jan 10, 2013 Gypsy rated it really liked it
I read Jada Pinkett Smith's Girls Hold Up This World, years ago, and I thought that it was a very powerful, affirming book for young girls. I vowed that if I ever had a little girl, this would be required reading.

Fast forward a few years, and I finally got the chance to share Girls Hold Up This World with my three year old daughter. She thoroughly enjoyed it, but her favorite part was when I explained that the little girl on the cover was same girl that sings her favorite song, "I Whip My Hair B
Quadeema Jackson
Apr 22, 2013 Quadeema Jackson rated it it was amazing
For me, this book defines empowerment. Jada Pinkett-Smith's poem compliment's the pictures beautifully. This book celebrates young women and uplifts them. Her poems tells young women to be proud to be a woman. I adore how she mentions that all woman come in different shapes and sizes but we are all women who make up this world. We all have various emotions, strengths and weaknesses but that just makes up even stronger. Hold fast to your beliefs and stand firm in the decisions you make as a young ...more
Alvera
Oct 31, 2013 Alvera rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book -- so heartwarming and uplifting. The illustrations/photographs are gorgeous -- lots of close-ups of women and girls of a variety of ages and ethnicities -- more "of color" than white, more like the real world. My children and I recently had a discussion about "brown people" and how they get to be that way -- no, not because they've got a tan... and Cadence's choice of this book tonight helped continue that conversation about race. I purchased this book for Cadence's 4th ...more
Lenise Jones
Sep 03, 2014 Lenise Jones rated it it was ok
Shelves: libs642
Smith, Jada & Kennedy-McCullough, D (2005). Girls Hold Up This World, New York: Scholastic Inc.
Picture Book Soak
Beautiful poem about female empowerment accompanied with pictures of girls. The author's poem encourages young girls to embrace their uniqueness and feminism. While I think this is a wonderful message to teach young girls, I would have liked the book to have some pictures of women in power or important women of history. I think these types of photos, along with the cute photos of t
Zoraya Brown
I love this book by Mrs. Pickett-Smith. I would create a small-group read-aloud for the girls in the classroom, and we would read this book together, and talk about how special girls and boys are, but how this book is only about girls. As an extension, I would find another one that is similar to conduct the same exercise with the boys in the classroom at a later time. During this one for the girls, I'd used the opportunity to point out how everyone is different and beautiful in their own way and ...more
Anita
Apr 05, 2013 Anita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: just-be-yourself
This book is all about the empowerment of women. It teaches little girls that they are special in every way possible. It tells them to dream big and that one day they can change the world! I wish there were more books like this one, for boys and for immigrants, for moms and dads...it's just so encouraging.

I would use this book in a small group setting and ask them what they think is special about themselves and others. I think it is so important for young children to know that they are so specia
Cindy Mittendorfer
Oct 07, 2014 Cindy Mittendorfer rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book. It is a book full of poems about how girls make up a beautiful and wonderful part of this world. It says that no matter the shape or size all girls are important. This book teaches young girls that they are strong and powerful and the world needs them because they "hold up this world." The theme is gender related. I would use this book in the classroom by teaching the boys and girls different stereotypes and how we can defy those stereotypes because everyone is equal ...more
Rashanda Ravenel
This book is so sweet and encouraging. I can definitely appreciate this book since I am a girl. We can discuss the stereotypes that come along with being different genders and how people expect you to act based on cultural differences. It is a great book just to encourage girls and anyone to be proud and stand strong in being themselves because we are more than the categories in which we are placed.
Tonia Holloway
I must say that I absolutely love this book.I am particularly a fan of the fact that this book used pictures of real people. I think it easier for the students to relate to stories such as these since there is somebody in the book who probably looks like them. I would read this book during the time we talk about "All About ME" theme and I would read it along with a book that focuses on mainly boys since all kids are equally important.
Amy
Apr 06, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book to focus on girls and women and their place in the world and society. It can be very important for children to see early on that gender carries difference. It's also nice that this book is filled with real photographs - it can show students the realness of the book's writing and the real women and girls who were photographed for the book.
Kathryn Hogan
This book way very inspirational. I loved the real images of every day girls and women. This isa great book for explaining womens rights, and dealing with self esteem. I will read this book to my own daughter and teach her that she needs to take pride in being a girl and doing the impossible is possible.
Kai Palmer
Jul 08, 2013 Kai Palmer rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspirational
My daughter received this book as a gift when she was younger at a time when she started to notice people are different colors. Children are noticing race and the perception of beauty at too early of an age, especially our girls. I would use this as a tool that we are all beautiful and powerful regardless of what we look like.
Latise
Jun 24, 2012 Latise rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspirational, gender
This is a very inspirational book to read to not only a group of girls but to boys as well. It is a purposeful book that teaches gender equality. It could be used in an "All about Me" thematic lesson and defiantly belongs in my classroom. I will be sure to read this book to my students and my future children as well. :)
Miri
Oct 24, 2016 Miri rated it really liked it
The photographs in this book are really lovely, and I'm pretty sure several of them are of baby Willow.

"We are sisters of this Earth — members of one powerful tribe.
Every color, age, and size, we're united by beauty inside.
We're a new generation of girls — we will make this world better.
We girls hold up this world, standing united... Standing together!"
Shonda
Feb 19, 2012 Shonda rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
Pinkett Smith pens a poem dedicated to the beauty and strength of women and young girls. Photographs of females of all ages, race and ethnic backgrounds are included. Pinkett Smith is also featured with her daughter. The book speaks to why it's special to be girl and the bond of sisterhood we share with each other A girl of any age will enjoy reading this book.

Alysia
Jul 06, 2013 Alysia rated it it was amazing
This book goes a long way with helping to encourage young girls to be the best at what they do however they do it. It would aide me in a lesson plan on strengthening young girls self esteem and drive. Also this book plaid with poetry, so it would be a great item to aide in the introduction of poetry and rhyme.
Amanda!puertorico05b
Oct 01, 2011 Amanda!puertorico05b rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ALL THE GIRLS IN THIS WORLD !
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING AND MEANS ALOT 2 ME,WHEN I WAS ABOUT 3 YEARS OLD MY MOTHER GAVE ME THIS BOOK AND WE SAT AND READ IT ALMOST EVERYDAY...I LOVE IT BC IT TALKS ABOUT GIRLS AND HOW IMPORTANT AND WONDERFUL IT IS 2 BE A GIRL...

WHEN MY MOTHER GAVE ME THIS BOOK IT HAD A NOTE IN IT THT I WILL NEVER FORGET(:

TO ALL THE GIRLS IN THIS WORLD THIS IS A BOOK U MUST READ !!!
Janet Chen
Mar 09, 2011 Janet Chen rated it it was amazing
Sweet sweet book and the pictures are all of actual photographs. I feel that this book would be good such as international women day, and just to have the book in the classroom for the students to pick up during DEAR time or guided reading maybe. It would maybe even be nice to have boys read the book also.
Michelle
Dec 30, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Fabulous to read with your daughter. Great gift we received from my sister. Beautiful photographs of multicultural girls and women from around the world.+

Annette Taylor-james
Jul 15, 2014 Annette Taylor-james rated it it was amazing
Shelves: selfesteem
If you have girls who may be having issues the boys don't want to play with us read this book for them and that problem will be solved . Girls power, great tool to use to talk about diversity and what we are doing.
Glennisha
This is a lovely book. I would read this book next time i attend a girls club meeting. Not saying that man are bad, but girls do a very large part in how the world works. My favorite line in the book is "Every color, age, and size , we're united by beauty inside".
Ebony Hargett
Apr 08, 2011 Ebony Hargett rated it really liked it
Shelves: multi-cultural
Cute picture book with real pictures of girls in the world. I would use this book as a visual for maybe a language arts lesson on descriptive writing, having students describe what they see and how the pics make them feel. Good for any grade level.
Danielle
Jun 12, 2012 Danielle rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I think that this is a book that all young girls should read at least once in their lives. It is very empowering and encourages embracing being a girl. I also love all the pictures included in the book especially the ones with Jada Pinkett Smith and her daughter.
Amy
Jun 01, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
My niece and I thought that Girls Hold Up This World was a pretty great celebration of females. Jada Pinkett Smith's text is empowering and uplifting, and it, along with the lovely photos, does an excellent job of reinforcing to girls that they are special and powerful creatures.
Sha_von
Apr 03, 2009 Sha_von rated it it was amazing
This a great book to read to litte girls. Jada and her mother did an excellent job in explaining how girls are strong too. It helps to show young girls how critical it is to be able to be a independent female.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »