Start by marking “The Buddhist Catechism” as Want to Read:
The Buddhist Catechism

The Buddhist Catechism

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  319 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Composed by Olcott in 1881, his Catechism outlines what he saw as Buddhism's basic doctrines.
Published November 8th 2009 by Echo Library (first published 1881)

To ask other readers questions about The Buddhist Catechism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Buddhist Catechism

Rachel
Oct 13, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
As I knew little about Buddhism, I would say this book was a good resource. That being said, I do not agree with the religion having understood what was presented. It appears to be a religion founded on the sole urge to overcome ignorance, which in itself is good, but not logical. Not everyone is capable of that. The part I had the most issue with would be that one reaches Nirvana by reaching heightened enlightenment by basically being good, yet you can't be good on purpose otherwise it doesn't ...more
Vaughn
Jan 29, 2011 Vaughn rated it it was amazing
Written in question and answer format, similar to Catechisms of other faiths, this book covers every aspect of Buddhism. It’s been published in at least 20 languages, mainly by and for Buddhists, and is used in many Buddhist schools. I strongly recommend this book to anyone seeking a greater understanding of Buddhism.
Jeff
Mar 25, 2012 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folks lookin for early 20th cent WESTERN commentary on Buddhism
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
I don't have a lot of praise for Olcott's Catechism other than to say that i will consider its 14 "universally"-agreed-upon ideas to be a fair base upon which to build my understanding of the religion as a whole. If, like me, you are a Buddhistic ignoramus[1], then go ahead and read at least the first two sections of this little book. It is conveniently, refreshingly—but frequently awkwardly—written in the classic catechismal Q&A format.

"The Life of the Buddha" and "The Dharma or Doctrine" i
Mysty M. Jean
May 11, 2015 Mysty M. Jean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

I highly recommend this book as having answered many of my beginner questions. A very good description of Buddhism and the people involved in compiling the work at the time 1891.

Jorge Santos
May 13, 2014 Jorge Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

A nice approach for understanding Buddhism, although in my opinion there's a lack of definitions for people who's not really into the philosophy.
Rick
Apr 18, 2014 Rick rated it really liked it
A very nice intro to Buddhism for folks who are seriously interested in getting into Buddhism. Offers great perspective and context.
Shannon
Dec 26, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
From a non-Buddhist: This is a great introduction to Buddhist philosophy. I now have elemental understandings of some phrases and names that have emerged from Buddhism. I can see why some people find similarities within Hinduism and Christianity, among other religions. Though I have not studied Indian languages and it gave me pause at every name and phrase in Indian, I was still able to follow the ideas and concepts presented. It is also a short read, available free on the Kindle.
Mike
Apr 07, 2014 Mike rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
If there's nothing else to serve as an introduction, then useful I guess.
J.T.
Jan 12, 2014 J.T. rated it liked it
It's old. You can tell as you read. There's good information here, but there are dozens of better sources to get it from.
Carlos
Sep 24, 2015 Carlos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-books
It is good introduction to Buddhism, it is written in question/answer form that gives a lot to interpretation. It states the origins, beliefs and spread of Buddhism. Great book for a beginners.
Riobhcah
Mar 06, 2011 Riobhcah rated it it was amazing
This is a very nicely-done summary of basic Buddhism done in a question-and-answer format. I would recommend this as a starting point for those who would like to begin studying Buddhism.
Rosa Louis
Jun 24, 2013 Rosa Louis rated it liked it
pretty good introduction for Buddhism. interesting for those who would not know about this practice. it does need more interpretation though for the culture language.
Steve Goble
Jul 17, 2013 Steve Goble rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zen, religion
One man's take on Buddhist beliefs, leaning heavily on mythology and told in spectacularly boring fashion.
Jonathan Thomas
May 20, 2013 Jonathan Thomas rated it liked it
Good introduction to understand Buddhist thought and history. An easy read, clear and concisely written.
Caleb
Not as helpful as I had hoped in understanding the basic tenants of Buddhism.
Susan
Jun 24, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
Succinct.
Cherie Bartlett
Cherie Bartlett marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Drew Kostic
Drew Kostic rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Chris Larkee
Chris Larkee rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Esme white
Esme white rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Tiffanie Hernandez
Tiffanie Hernandez rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Jeff Godwin
Jeff Godwin rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Jen Greslick
Jen Greslick marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Deborah
Deborah rated it did not like it
Jun 29, 2016
Leigh E. Ball
Leigh E. Ball marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
teri
teri rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
  • The Seven Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor
  • Gandhi: Naked Ambition
  • Living the Questions: The Wisdom of Progressive Christianity
  • Engaging the Muslim World
  • Modern Buddhism: The Path of Compassion and Wisdom - (Volume 3 Prayers for Daily Practice)
  • The Zen Experience
  • The Life and Legends of Saint Francis of Assisi
  • Dhammapada (Canonical Books of the Buddhists)
  • The Great Hedge of India: The Search for the Living Barrier that Divided a People
  • This Changes Everything: Occupy Wall Street and the 99% Movement
  • Familiar Quotations
  • Buddhism (Pelican)
  • Guide to Stoicism

“Physiologically speaking, man's body is completely changed every seven years.” 1 likes
“THE LIFE OF THE BUDDHA 1. Question. Of what religion[1] are you? Answer. The Buddhist. 2. Q. What is Buddhism? A. It is a body of teachings given out by the great personage known as the Buddha. 3. Q. Is "Buddhism" the best name for this teaching? A. No; that is only a western term: the best name for it is Bauddha Dharma. 4. Q. Would you call a person a Buddhist who had merely been born of Buddha parents? A. Certainly not. A Buddhist is one who not only professes belief in the Buddha as the noblest of Teachers, in the Doctrine preached by Him, and in the Brotherhood of Arhats, but practises His precepts in daily life.” 0 likes