Start by marking “Haskell: The Craft of Functional Programming” as Want to Read:
Haskell: The Craft of Functional Programming

Haskell: The Craft of Functional Programming

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  118 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This student-focused introduction to the Haskell programming language emphasizes the process of crafting programs, problem solving and avoiding common pitfalls. Running examples and case studies highlight new concepts and alternative approaches to program design.
Paperback, Second Edition, 487 pages
Published March 29th 1999 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published August 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Haskell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haskell

The Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntThe C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanDesign Patterns by Erich GammaCode Complete by Steve McConnellClean Code by Robert C. Martin
Essential Programming Books
68th out of 123 books — 320 voters
Learn You a Haskell for Great Good! by Miran LipovačaReal World Haskell by Bryan O'SullivanParallel and Concurrent Programming in Haskell by Simon MarlowDeveloping Web Applications with Haskell and Yesod by Michael SnoymanProgramming in Haskell by Graham  Hutton
Haskell Books
12th out of 13 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Peihong Guo
Mar 11, 2016 Peihong Guo rated it liked it
The presentation is a bit messy in this book. Not recommended as the first book for Haskell.
The content of this book is too basic so it is not suitable as an intermediate book either... Well, to sum up I won't recommend it at all.
Biri
Jan 22, 2016 Biri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I READ THIS WHOLE FRICKEN BOOK! (Seriously...)
Was pretty good. Had to learn a few things on my own but still a really good textbook.
Nick Black
Nov 27, 2008 Nick Black rated it liked it
A great introduction to Haskell, but rather shallow and certainly lacking real indication as to the power of the language, and the thinking necessary to exploit it. I liked The Haskell Road to Logic, Maths and Programming more both as a book on Haskell (shorter than Thompson's book, but more complete) and an introduction to computability.

I traded this to Vegan John for a copy of Chomsky's Universal Grammar: An Introduction, but bought myself another copy a few years back.
Nikolay Hodyunya
Aug 11, 2014 Nikolay Hodyunya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: haskell
If you aren't experienced with functional programming, this book is probably best fit to start with haskell. But it's probably better to pick some other book to learn haskell if you have already learned functional language, such as scheme or standard ml. I give it five stars because it's an excellent introduction, but people with prior knowledge of functional programming may find the first thirteen chapters little boring.
Colin Jones
Dec 30, 2013 Colin Jones rated it liked it
I read the 2nd edition which is a bit out of date, using Hugs rather than GHCi - otherwise I suspect I'd have liked this more. I think this would be good for someone new to functional programming who hasn't yet read Learn You a Haskell. It's an easier read than LYAH (lighter on the category theory), and was mostly review from that book and doing FP in Clojure.
Debasish Ghosh
Jun 01, 2013 Debasish Ghosh rated it really liked it
Shelves: dg-book-shelf
Very good explanation of the language as well as the principles of functional programming. The chapters of reasoning of functional programs are really really worth reading many times. Explains the relationship between types, testing, property based testing and equational reasoning. My review is for the 3rd edition of the book. GR shows the second edition.
Steve
Aug 04, 2007 Steve rated it really liked it
A clear, dense guide to Haskell guided by examples. A totally engrossing and fun read. I wish it talked about Monads more but I think that might double the size of the book.
Tom C
Aug 27, 2008 Tom C rated it really liked it
A solid introduction to Haskell programming
Robert Postill
Robert Postill marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Denis
Denis marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Karthik Prabhakar
Karthik Prabhakar rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Daniel Bess
Daniel Bess marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Kajol
Kajol marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Jaffu Jakku
Jaffu Jakku marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Joey
Joey marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Cauê Waneck
Cauê Waneck marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
caisah
caisah is currently reading it
Mar 17, 2016
Faivel Fedullo silva
Faivel Fedullo silva marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
fethi  erdinc uzun
fethi erdinc uzun is currently reading it
Mar 13, 2016
Matt Laporte
Matt Laporte marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Kyryl
Kyryl marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Readerrunner
Readerrunner is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2016
João Vortmann
João Vortmann marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Danylo Lizanets
Danylo Lizanets marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Naum
Naum is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2016
Alexey Vyskubov
Alexey Vyskubov marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Kim DeCina
Kim DeCina marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
  • Programming in Haskell
  • Real World Haskell: Code You Can Believe In
  • The Haskell School of Expression: Learning Functional Programming Through Multimedia
  • Introduction to Functional Programming
  • The Haskell Road to Logic, Maths and Programming. Second Edition
  • Purely Functional Data Structures
  • Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!
  • On Lisp: Advanced Techniques for Common Lisp
  • LISP in Small Pieces
  • ERLANG Programming
  • Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming
  • The Art of the Metaobject Protocol
  • Land of LISP: Learn to Program in LISP, One Game at a Time!

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »