Start by marking “The Poetry of Robert Frost (Collected Poems, Complete & Unabridged)” as Want to Read:
The Poetry of Robert Frost (Collected Poems, Complete & Unabridged)

The Poetry of Robert Frost (Collected Poems, Complete & Unabridged)

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  31,207 Ratings  ·  285 Reviews
The only comprehensive gathering of Frost's published poetry, this affordable volume offers the entire contents of his eleven books of verse, from A Boy's Will (1913) to In the Clearing (1962). Frost scholar Lathem, who was also a close friend of the four-time Pulitzer Prize-winner, scrupulously annotated the 350-plus poems in this collection, which has been the standard e
Published March 15th 1979 by Henry Holt & Company (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Poetry of Robert Frost, please sign up.

Laurie Oliver It is a comprehensive collection, so I assume it will be sufficient for a research paper. Poetry is rarely meant to be read in a 600 page book start…moreIt is a comprehensive collection, so I assume it will be sufficient for a research paper. Poetry is rarely meant to be read in a 600 page book start to finish. Select what is meaningful to your purpose and proceed.(less)
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank1984 by George OrwellHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
100 Books to Read in a Lifetime: Readers' Picks
207th out of 6,876 books — 8,533 voters
The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotAriel by Sylvia Plath
Best Poetry Books
23rd out of 1,647 books — 1,843 voters

More lists with this book...

Grey853
Aug 03, 2007 Grey853 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Robert Frost wrote some stunning and thought provoking poems. Almost everyone has heard of "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening" or "The Road Not Taken", but one of my all time favorites is "Desert Places". The last verse:

"They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
Between stars--on stars where no human race is.
I have it in me so much nearer home
To scare myself with my own desert places."

Jody
Aug 23, 2007 Jody rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: poetry lovers
Shelves: favorites, poetry
I think it's this version I have an old copy of this book. My grandma gave it to me for Christmas many years ago. I love Robert Frost. He's my first favorite poet and my favorite poem will always be The Road Not Taken. "And I, I took the road less traveled by and that has made all the difference." RF is my reason for loving words I think.
Amy
Sep 18, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
Robert Frost has the most beautiful poetry! My dad used to read to me from this book every night before bed and it has been a fovorite ever since. When I was little my favorite one was The pasture. Now I love "Reluctance"

OUT through the fields and the woods
And over the walls I have wended;
I have climbed the hills of view
And looked at the world, and descended;
I have come by the highway home, 5
And lo, it is ended.

The leaves are all dead on the ground,
Save those that the oak is keeping
Nick
Jul 27, 2009 Nick rated it it was amazing
He expertly articulates and captures those feelings inspired in us as children.
Wonderment and Beauty, Innocence, and Joyfulness, but also and equally, Loneliness Isolation and Desperation. Wisdom and Naivety.

Reading Frost is like traveling across New England With two people. The First incarnation a small enthusiastic and expressive child awe struck by the simple beauty of the landscape and changing seasons as he passes them by yearning to run ahead and spy what lay beyond the next bend.

The Seco
Elizabeth
Oh, if there were only the words to express how I feel about Frost. There aren't the right words nor near enough. However, I do most expressively enjoy reading his poems. They buoy me.

I am usually a lover of short poems, yet, even in his longer poems a line or two will reverberate.

Most will recommend "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening", "The Road Not Taken" or "Nothing Gold Can Stay". There are reasons why they would recommend these poems, as they have merit. Yet, these are not the only poem
MaryAnn Baker
Apr 24, 2016 MaryAnn Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Robert Frost is one of America's most beloved poets. Set on the cusp between the end of Transcendentalism and Modernism, Frost portrayed his world with a complex collection of poems set in a simple folksy tone. He is well-known for his "Stopping In A Wood on A Snowy Evening". I highly recommend "The Poetry of Robert Frost".
Charles
Jun 28, 2009 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
My November Guest

My Sorrow, when she's here with me,
Thinks these dark days of autumn rain
Are beautiful as days can be;
She loves the bare, the withered tree;
She walks the sodden pasture lane.

Her pleasure will not let me stay.
She talks and I am fain to list:
She's glad the birds are gone away,
She's glad her simple worsted grey
Is silver now with clinging mist.

The desolate, deserted trees,
The faded earth, the heavy sky,
The beauties she so truly sees,
She thinks I have no eye for these,
And vexes me for
LJ
Oct 13, 2007 LJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, male_author
I've loved Frost's poems for years. "Birches," "A Road Not Taken," a version of which I've sung, "Time to Talk," are just a few of my favorites.
Timothy Muller
Dec 27, 2013 Timothy Muller rated it really liked it
It may seem strange to allot only four stars to such a great poet. However, for me, there are (more or less) two Frosts. Actually, there are three Frosts, but the third is not a very important consideration.

To take the third first, this is the Frost of lighter, often satirical poetry, as in, for example “A Case for Jefferson.” This kind of verse is not really Frost’s strong suit and I think his reputation might rest a little higher had he not published it. However, virtually all poets publish ma
E
Aug 12, 2015 E rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Lines from Frost seem to stick in my mind forever since studying him in high school and college and graduate school. And one of my favorite of his poems is "The Death of the Hired Man," which is about work, family, compassion, forgiveness, and home. When Warren and Mary disagree about the definition of "home," it is the second definition of home below (Mary's) that always brings tears to my eyes.

" 'Home is the place where, when you have to go there,/
They have to take you in.’/

‘I should have ca
Jan-Maat
I was intrigued to learn that Frost and Edward Thomas had met and spent time together in England before the first world war following on from a review of some of Frost's poetry by Thomas. I feel both that in some way that the two of these people are now coming together in my understanding is a sign both of the deficiencies in my education and that luckily there is ever more to discover about the world. I believe "The Road not taken" was inspired by some of the walks the two went on and that Fros ...more
Cara
While striking, unique, scattered with profound verse, I just couldn't jive with you Mr. Frost. I flipped through this book, because honestly I'm not going to read 600 pages of random Robert Frost. So, I started by just checking out all the classic Frost poems from: "The Road Not Taken", "Fire and Ice", "Dust of Snow", to "Birches". They are pretty. I actually enjoyed a few of them, thought they were unique and beautiful, especially, "Death of a Hired Man" and "A Considerable Speck".

I learned t
Madeline
Feb 18, 2010 Madeline rated it liked it
I liked Robert Frost a lot more when I thought he was just writing about farms, and taking nice walks, and stopping in various wooded areas on nights of inclement weather.

After three class discussions of his poems, I am dismayed to learn that it's all a hell of a lot more complicated than that. Dammit.

But he's nice when I don't have to worry about the deep philosophical meaning of birches and can just enjoy the nice comfortable feeling his poems give me. Here, have a random excerpt.

From "Birch
Judy
Jul 14, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads, poetry
A wonderful collection of Robert Frost's poetry and 2 plays. In hindsight, I wish I would have kept a running list of the poems I loved the most. Of course,The Road Not Taken would be right up there among the best. One of his later poems I enjoyed was The Milky Way is a Cowpath. I love Frost's sense of humor; he never seems to take himself (or anything) too seriously compared to some poets. He never seems to be overwrought about any subject which makes his work easier to relax with. I prefer his ...more
Carol
Apr 30, 2009 Carol rated it really liked it
Whose woods these are...I think I know,
His house is in the village though
He will not mind me stopping here to watch
his woods fill up with snow
my little horse must think it queer
to stop without a farmhouse near
between the woods and frozen lake
the darkest evening of the year. When I had to memorize Frost in High School, little did I know how thankful I would be to carry these words
with me wherever I go. Hopefully, my students feel the same way after
they labored to memorize the poems I assigned.
If
Kent
Aug 21, 2011 Kent rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Perhaps I am just not a poetry guy. I enjoyed very few of this collection. I liked only slightly more than that, and actually understood only a few more than that number. The most understood poems, and seemingly the very few that communicated purpose and meaning to me, happen to include the three or four that other reviewers list as their favorites, and I suppose they were mine also. Beyond those, Frost's work leaves me wondering why all the fuss. My apologies to the throng of "Frost Lovers" eve ...more
Vicky Hunt
Feb 16, 2016 Vicky Hunt rated it it was amazing
Beautifully performed masterpieces!

(I read the Audible and Kindle version)

It was. a pleasure to discover more of the lovely poetry of one of my favorite poets. I'd memorized "Stopping by Woods" in grade school. I'd no idea what waited hidden among the rest. The Hired Man, The Impulse, and so many more jewels like hidden treasure saved for a later time in my life. Maybe I'd not have appreciated them as much as a child. But, many will certainly move you to tears.

My favorite was probably "In the Ho
Cassie DeFrank
Mar 30, 2015 Cassie DeFrank rated it it was amazing
Wow. Robert Frost is amazing. I always assumed he was over-rated, but that is not the case. It is hard to give a review on a collection when I could write a pretty good amount on each poem. While I enjoyed almost every poem, I will talk about a few specifically.

Not All There is super under-rated. It questions religion, or rather ones own ability to have faith. It is a short poem, but it will leave a mark on you.

Another one of my favorites was Provide, Provide. The poem exposes that no matter wh
Dan
Mar 09, 2015 Dan rated it really liked it
I'm often surprised to compare the public persona of a Great Author with the actual experience of reading something by that author, as I was with Frost.

Frost's work demonstrates a lot more puckish humor than the public image of a severe, rather antisocial New Englander--a no-fun writer who said we shouldn't use free verse. That's even evident in his most well-known pieces, such as his mild self-deprecation in The Road Not Taken and the ribbing he gives a neighbor in Mending Wall. But the persona
Krishna Kumar
Feb 05, 2014 Krishna Kumar rated it it was ok
Completed reading all the poems of Robert Frost... I could pick not more than 10 poems as worth reading. But those 10 are worth remembering too.... My top three are, 'The road not taken;, 'Stopping by woods in a snowy evening' and 'Asking for roses' ..
The rest I liked are...

Acquainted with the night...
Flower Gathering...
Going for water...
God's garden...

Other than these I find the rest other 100 poems I read to be a just an art of mending words but not a magic of moulding emotions and imaginat
Huda AbuKhoti
Nov 12, 2012 Huda AbuKhoti rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Strangely enough my favorite poems weren't really related to nature. Robert Frost first got me with his poem "fire and ice." I thought I knew what I was expecting before I started reading the poems, I was wrong though. Not that I was disappointed in the content, it's just most of his poems are different than that particular one, which was my favorite.

Beautiful collection of genius poetry.
Terence Carlisle
Mar 06, 2016 Terence Carlisle rated it it was amazing
Somehow, the sense we tend to have of Frost is homey, vaguely patriotic, that of a poetic bumpkin, sweet and a bit thick, like Vermont maple syrup. If this is what you’re looking for when you crack the cover of this collection, prepare to despair…he’s as dark and bleak a poet as the most ardent existentialist could hope to find, with a marvelous sense of irony. I don’t know whence comes this tendency to remake him in an upbeat vein – probably because he “took the road less traveled.” But though ...more
Zack
Mar 13, 2013 Zack rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Frost represents all that's wrong with American literature. Frost did write some beautiful poetry about the weather, but it was overshadowed by cliches of American life and useless descriptions of rural New Hampshire.
John
Oct 12, 2007 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of course, this book has all the old favorites, all the great masterpieces. But one of my favorite poems is the relatively obscure "An Old Man's Winter Night." That poem amazes me every time I read it...
Kris Spisak
Feb 01, 2012 Kris Spisak rated it it was amazing
I found out recently that my yet-to-be-born son can hear the world around him. What a better introduction to poetry, rhythm, nature, and language than Robert Frost. I love this collection.
Megan
Mar 06, 2014 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: juda-3-5
(Poetry) I love Robert Frost's poems. I haven't read all of them, but my favorite one to read is "The Road Not Taken". This is one of the first poems that I was introduced to and it helped spark my interest in poetry.

My favorite part of "The Road Not Taken" is:

"Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back"

It is a good reminder to not worry about the choices you make because life has a way of working itself out.

I would use Robert Fr
Randy
What can one say but to be in awe of an American master of the poem. I re-read it yearly! Check out "West Running Brook"!
Lafcadio
Aug 12, 2007 Lafcadio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Newt
Incredible index by title and first line. I always find something new and exciting in this book every time I open it.
Jared Little
May 05, 2014 Jared Little rated it liked it
Shelves: poems
Robert Frost is one of the iconic American poets. His poems have been seen in classrooms for generations, and will continue to do so for years to come. I have fond memories of reading his "A Road Less Traveled" in high school. It is a very inspirational poem that can be dissected for its meaning.

I could see a 5th or 6th grade class benefiting from studying poetry from Robert Frost, even if it was just an introductory poem. I would love to teach his poems as a way for students to appreciate the b
Teri-k
Robert Frost. "He is a simplifying genius." (Anne Morrow Lindbergh)
Poetry about critical moments 2 14 Aug 20, 2015 11:22AM
  • The Collected Poems of W.B. Yeats
  • Complete Poems, 1904-1962
  • The Complete Poems
  • Poetry (Norton Critical Editions)
  • Collected Poems, 1909-1962
  • Selected Poems
  • The Collected Poems
  • Robert Browning's Poetry
  • Otherwise: New and Selected Poems
Flinty, moody, plainspoken and deep, Robert Frost was one of America's most popular 20th-century poets. Frost was farming in Derry, New Hampshire when, at the age of 38, he sold the farm, uprooted his family and moved to England, where he devoted himself to his poetry. His first two books of verse, A Boy's Will (1913) and North of Boston (1914), were immediate successes. In 1915 he returned to the ...more
More about Robert Frost...

“They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
Between stars—on stars where no human race is.
I have it in me so much nearer home
To scare myself with my own desert places.”
983 likes
“I would not come in.
I meant not even if asked,
And I hadn't been.”