Start by marking “The Sheriff's Sweetheart (Brides of Simpson Creek, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Sheriff's Sweetheart (Brides of Simpson Creek, #3)

The Sheriff's Sweetheart (Brides of Simpson Creek #3)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  20 reviews
He needs to turn his life around...And Simpson Creek, Texas, is the perfect place to do it. On the run from his dangerous past, Sam Bishop is happy to find a town seeking "marriage-minded bachelors." A wealthy wife is "just" what he needs to make his gambling problems disappear. But when Prissy Gilmore catches Sam's eye, she proves to be much more than a rich match. Sam wa ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published April 5th 2011 by Love Inspired Historicals (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Sheriff's Sweetheart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sheriff's Sweetheart

Vickie McDonough
Sam Bishop is a man running from his past. When he reads an ad about spinsters looking for husbands, he concocts a plan. Marrying a wealthy woman is just what he needs to solve his problems, but when he meets Prissy Gilmore, the pretty woman quickly steals his heart and makes him want to be the good man she deserves. He takes the job of sheriff and sets out to clean up Prissy’s town and prove his worth. But then he comes face to face with an unscrupulous man from his past—a man who has a vendett ...more
Kym McNabney
The Sheriff’s Sweetheart by Laurie Kingery, is sweet indeed. If you like an old time romance about a bad guy turned good, where the poor meets the wealthy, you’ll love this tender historical romance. It is well written with a great plot and characters you’ll get to know and love.

After taking a beating following a gambling game gone wrong, Sam Bishop decides enough is enough. An ad in the newspaper seeking marriage-minded bachelors has him heading for the small town of Simpson Creek, Texas. What
Title: THE SHERIFF’S SWEETHEART
Author: Laurie Kingery
Publisher: Love Inspired Historical
April 2011
ISBN: 978-0-373-82866-1
Genre: Inspirational/historical romance

Sam Bishop is a man on the run. When he is almost murdered by a wealthy gambler, Sam manages to escape (with his almost killer’s dog) and travels to Simpson Creek, Texas, a town advertising for “marriage-minded bachelors”. A rich wife is just what Sam needs to make his gambling problems disappear.

Prissy Gilmore is the lady who placed the
Ada Brownell
The Sheriff’s Sweetheart
By Laurie Kingery

Sam Bishop, beaten by a man wearing an egg-sized ring, awakes to his arms tied behind him and his legs bound. In the corner is a dog crouched in a metal cage. Sam almost sneezes from the dust, and a groan nearly bursts from his throat because of the pain, but his assailants still chat nearby.
“You want us to finish him and leave him in some alley?” a voice asks.
Sam heard Kendall Raney’s voice. “Wait ‘til dark.Then we’ll take him out to the bayou. I’ve seen
Christina
The first time I picked up a Laurie Kingery book I knew she had something special and she became an automatic buy. When the Brides of Simpson Creek hit the shelves I immediately fell in love with her unlikely heroines and out-of-the-box heroes. I had become so accustomed to Kingery’s heroines that I had doubts she’d pull off a somewhat normal heroine.

Am I glad I was wrong. Prissy Gilmore’s quiet strength and faith drive Sam Bishop’s need for change by drawing him to her. And Sam Bishop experienc
Jamie
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from start to finish. The characters are very real and believable. The hero starts out on rough ground but redeems himself and is very likable from start to finish. The author gives her readers insight on how the main characters grow as they face trials and fall in love. There's humor, mystery and romance all tied together.

I read this book knowing that it was the third in a series that I had not started. I was not lost as the book stands well alone. But after finis
Paula-O
I have just finished the "Simpson Creek Brides series" by Laurie Kingery, what a story-Sam is a man down on his luck and looking for a way to become a solid citizen again when he sees the ad in the paper that will change his life. This man who had never before been a sheriff found himself soon a leader of the community and so many folks depending on him and it made him live up to the job. He found a good woman named Prissy who had been looking for just the right man and they went tru some trying ...more
It took me a while to get into this one for some reason, but it was still a good story. Love the series as a whole! I just found the characters in this one to not be so endearing as the other two books. I don't know what it was. But, in the end I love how there was a twist on the mail ordered brides with this series and how independent spunky texas gals took it into their own hands to get more males to town! Love the way this series was told.
Mary
Cute story about a man who who wanted to be different and become a man of respect who was worthy of a good woman and life. He had to go through some scrutiny and allow God to develop his new persona while trusting that he would not be rejected based on the past. I enjoyed the easy read based on a verse in Joshua claiming "whom we will serve". Laurie is a good writer.
Christina
I have liked every book in this series. Laurie keeps the action moving and likes to place her characters in tough situations where they have to struggle in their faith only to come out stronger from it. I look forward to the next book about Caroline.
Megan
I fell in love with Sam the moment I read the prologue, when he decided to save not only himself but the dog too. He was by far my favorite character in this story, though several of my past favorites in this series made an appearance.

Each book in the Brides of Simpson Creek has been very enjoyable and this one is no different. The only reason I'm not giving this book 5 stars is because the ending was just too unbelievable and everything was resolved way too soon.

Overall, it was a lovely and sw
Joy
Sam's had a hard life and has made some poor choices. On the run, he sees the Spinster's Club ad and decides to go to Simpson Creek to find him a wife. The day he gets to town, he meets Prissy Gilmore and ends up as the town's new sheriff. The more he gets to know Prissy, the more he wants to change his life and be worthy of her. When his past catches up with him, will it destroy everything he's come to love?

I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I love second chance stories. This one had a nic
Shawn
Loved Prissy in the other books and enjoyed getting to read her story.
Zette
Definitely not my favorite book of the series. I found myself skimming the last part of the book just to get to the end. I seem to lose interest in books where the love is declared so early on. Just me though and I know that there are others that won't find that a problem. I do hope there are more in this series as I really like the idea of the women advertising for spouses.
Melody
Really enjoyed this book. I loved the character development, the changes came to me at just the right pace. I like the idea of being able to change into something better, and having people actually give the chance to do so. I love this cute little town. Can't wait to read more by this author!
Highland-dreamer
Terri Pray
Fun, quick read. Not heavy on the scripture which some inspirational romances can be, and that made it a far more comfortable read.
Nancy A.
I also loved this book. You are so creative about telling the stories.

Nancy Wilson
Charity U
It was good, not great, but fun. :) Several cool twists.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Brides of Simpson Creek
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Cindy Coleman
Cindy Coleman marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Kylie Nix
Kylie Nix marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Kjay
Kjay marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Tabitha Vinson
Tabitha Vinson marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
1934565
Laurie Kingery is a central Ohio author and veteran E.R. RN who wrote 16 historical romances as Laurie Grant and now writes inspirational historicals for Steeple Hill. She won the Reader's Choice for short historicals in 1994. Her website is http://www.lauriekingery.com. Country Christmas was her first inspirational historical in Oct. '08; her next release from Steeple Hill was The Outlaw's Lady i ...more
More about Laurie Kingery...
Mail Order Cowboy (Brides of Simpson Creek, #1) The Doctor Takes a Wife (Brides of Simpson Creek, #2) The Rancher's Courtship (Brides of Simpson Creek, #4) The Outlaw's Lady The Preacher's Bride (Brides of Simpson Creek, #5)