Start by marking “At the Captain's Command” as Want to Read:
At the Captain's Command

At the Captain's Command

Duty and career--Captain Thomas Moberly of His Majesty's Navy prizes them above all. So why is he tempted to relinquish both for Dinah Templeton? Though Dinah seems sweet and charming, the difference in station between an East Florida belle and the son of an earl is too marked to ignore. And all other obstacles pale with the discovery that Dinah's brother James is not what ...more
Paperback, Love Inspired Historical #85, 277 pages
Published April 5th 2011 by Steeple Hill (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about At the Captain's Command, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At the Captain's Command

Debbie Lynne
Apr 03, 2011 Debbie Lynne rated it it was amazing
I sped through At the Captain's Command. I loved the characters and the setting was so real I could feel the heat and the mosquitoes! Louise Gouge takes you to Florida amid the Revolutionary War. I truly enjoyed this story and all the history I learned in it. I have to add that I absolutely loved running into some of the characters from her other book A Captain's Lady! That was a pleasant surprise. Like seeing old friends again. A very pleasant read indeed and if you are like me you'll have it f ...more
Christine Lindsay
Apr 07, 2011 Christine Lindsay rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all women from 13 to 90
“At the Captain’s Command” is a delightful historical set during the Revolutionary War. Dinah Templeton, living in an East Florida colony,believes her family is loyal to England, but she has the feeling there is something her family is not telling her. There is also a great deal of talk about the infamous pirate Nighthawk who plagues the coastline.

To protect those loyal to the crown against this growing list of revolutionaries is his Majesty’s Royal Navy and the Dauntless commanded by Captain T
Ada Brownell
Apr 12, 2011 Ada Brownell rated it it was amazing
Dinah Templeton spots three handsome Naval officers and discovers one of them is her kinsman, Captain Thomas Moberly, whom she hasn’t met. The captain’s brother is married to her cousin and his sister is married to Dinah’s brother.
Dinah is splashed with “love at first sight” as they become acquainted. They enjoy spending time together, but she vows she will never marry a sea-faring man.
Since her parent’s deaths, she is almost destitute so doesn’t dress as most of the women with whom the captain
Apr 03, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Title: AT THE CAPTAIN’S COMMAND
Author: Louise M. Gouge
Publisher: Love Inspired Historical
April 2011
ISBN: 978-0-373-82865-4
Genre: Inspirational/historical Romance

Dinah Templeton lives with her foster sister, Anne, and Anne’s husband in Florida, a British colony, during a time of great unrest. Dinah doesn’t ever want to marry a sea-faring man, as she can’t handle the idea of marriage to a man she’d never see, but the prospects in her town don’t appeal much either.

Captain Thomas Moberly of His Maj
Holly
May 24, 2011 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over all, great book, great story line, great characters. Mrs Gouge has really done her research into what things must have been like around the time of the revolutionary war. I could invision in my mind the walls of the fort she described, and the british ships in her majestys navy. The ending i will say was very surprising! It was quite a twist in a book that was becoming slightly boring after the whole i love you, you love me lets get married.
Two problems i had with this book. Number one bei
Mary
Apr 04, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
If you love romance novels, if you love to know that in the end, the hero and his lady will be together despite all the obstacles that frustrated them, and especially if you like learning a bit of history along the way, Louise M. Gouge's new book is exactly right for you! Furthermore, if you've read some of her previous books, you'll be glad to know that characters from those books also serve as background characters for this one. My favorite parts of this book were the history section--we don't ...more
Terri Harr
Apr 05, 2011 Terri Harr rated it it was amazing
This book gives you a glimpses of history and what people went through during the time of America's fight for independence. Like in any war, families can be torn apart or brought together. We can fall in love with those on the other side of an issue and have to choose which is more important, the issue or the person we love.

The characters came alive to me as I read. They are easy love and care about. There are a few that are just as easy to dislike. It takes place in Florida, a place I never th
MaryLu Tyndall
Mar 25, 2011 MaryLu Tyndall rated it it was amazing
I've enjoyed Louise Gouge's writing for years. Her prose is smooth and rich like fine wine. And this book is no exception. Set during the Revolutionary war, A British naval captain falls in love with a woman whose loyalties toward the crown are dubious at best. Not to mention she has vowed never to marry a man in the navy. And if things are bad enough her benefactor is determined to marry her to another man for political gain. As you can see there is plenty of tension to keep the story flowing. ...more
Christina
Apr 22, 2011 Christina rated it really liked it
First, I want to say how refreshing it is to visit historical eras outside the norm. Secondly, I want to give kudos to the author for taking on a difficult task with this series.There are always at least two sides to every tale and Gouge has done an excellent job of spinning both. It can’t be easy having heroes from opposite sides of a war, especially when they’re brothers.

After having read the first book from this series I had no idea what to expect from Louise M. Gouge. I was pleasantly surpri
Lynne
May 18, 2013 Lynne rated it it was amazing
I won this and two other of Louise Gouge's books at a raffle at my Central Florida Romance Writer's meeting. I am so NOT into Christian fic, but I would have missed a great read if I had passed these over.

Well written, perfectly paced, the characters drew me in from the beginning. I had also never read a historical based in Florida--I was amazed at the amount of history my current state has in relation to the Revolutionary War.

I haven't zipped through three books so quickly in years. Part of t
Cynthia
Apr 29, 2013 Cynthia rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, nautical
Very artificial love story. Everything happened too easy for the two main characters, there was no conflict. There were a couple chapters near the end, where I thought "finally, the story is getting good," but then I read more and was let down. Perhaps the Harlequin book/story "mold" was too short of a venue for what Gouge wanted to convey with her characters. I think that if she heightened the tension between the characters, her audience will be rewarded with a nail-biter story.

This is a Love I
Sybil McCormack
Sep 09, 2012 Sybil McCormack rated it really liked it
Set in Florida during the Revolutionary War, "At the Captain's Command" is an adventurous, no-holds-barred inspirational historical romance. Dinah Templeton and Captain Thomas Moberly, the couple whose complex relationship lies at the heart of the story, are very well-executed characters. Author Louise M. Gouge also does an admirable job of illustrating the intricacies of both the military and political backdrop associated with the aforementioned period in American and British history. Though I ...more
Judy
Apr 22, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing
The 3rd book in her Revolutionary series.

Thomas Moberly is a Captain in the English Navy and he is stationed at St Augustine, Florida when he finally meets the sister and cousin to his brother in law and sister in law, Dinah Templeton.

Even though there are 10 years between them and Dinah has sworn never to marry a seaman, there is an immediate attraction.

They are both in the mind set that England is right and they have no idea that their other family members support the rebels.

Very enjoyable and
Elizabeth
The unfortunate thing about this book is that I read it on the heels of a new book by Allie Pleiter, and it just didn't stand up. A good historical Christian romance, but there's not much else to say about it. I really wanted to love it, but just couldn't get myself beyond "like".
Patsy
May 29, 2011 Patsy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-inspired
I really loved this book. Louise did a great job with this story of her Revolutionary War Series.
Terri Pray
Jul 24, 2012 Terri Pray rated it did not like it
Just could not get into this one at all.
Susan Snodgrass
Susan Snodgrass rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2016
MariaFernanda
MariaFernanda rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2011
Nikki
Nikki rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2012
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2011
Naomi Rawlings
Naomi Rawlings rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2012
Isabelle
Isabelle rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2012
Rachel Boling
Rachel Boling rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2014
Ali
Ali rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2011
John Hanscom
John Hanscom rated it liked it
May 08, 2011
Mommyc
Mommyc rated it liked it
May 07, 2014
Lynn Ratliff
Lynn Ratliff rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2013
Courtney Robison
Courtney Robison rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2012
E.C. Jackson
E.C. Jackson rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2013