Start by marking “The Potluck Club” as Want to Read:
The Potluck Club

The Potluck Club (The Potluck Club #1)

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  2,949 Ratings  ·  294 Reviews
Six church ladies share the joy of cooking and discover the power of prayer in this contemporary, humorous tale of down-home Christianity.
Published August 1st 2005 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Potluck Club, please sign up.

Deb
plot summary: what happens, when & where, central characters, major conflicts[return]meet the six women of the mt. summit, colorado potluck club. they meet to share food and prayer requests, and although their meetings may occasionally turn into gossip fests, by the end of this tale the reader will see how god has worked in each of their lives. evie is the founding member of the group, who is in for a shock when her neice arrived with a big surprise. lisa leann is new to town, she hopes to w ...more
Amy
Feb 11, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first experience with a Christian novel and it was a good one. The cover is a little misleading, though, because there are mostly old bitties in the Potluck Club and that woman on the cover doesn't fit the bill.

The book is about a group of women in an exclusive, invititon-only prayer group. Each chapter is told from a different member's perspective and they each are very different and interesting. One's a police officer, one has a big sercret, one is a librarian, one has a cheating husband an
Nenette
Jan 09, 2016 Nenette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another book that's been sitting for quite a while in my shelf, and I'm beating myself now on why I didn't pick it up earlier.

Going through the book, the first thing that came to my mind was "Desperate Housewives". Both stories are about a set of women friends from the same neighborhood pulling up for each other, even with conflicts amongst them. There is that big difference though that the Potluckers get together and pray. I don't think I remember a mention of God in DH, or probably there was,
Karen Baney
I liked the innovative approach the author used by writing multiple points of view in the first person. I've never read another book quite like it.

However, the book started out very, very slow. Several times I considered putting it down and walking away. Somewhere around page 180 it started to pick up some. All that long wind-up was beginning to go somewhere. Unfortunately, I was already annoyed and distracted by the slow pace so I didn't enjoy the end as much as I hoped.

I thought the characte
Mrs.  Garza
Feb 19, 2011 Mrs. Garza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
When I downloaded this free ebook for my Kindle app, I had no idea that it was Christian literature and ended up liking the book even with the references and scriptures sprinkled in. There were many strong women characters of various ages with the same problems we all face or have faced. Marriage, family, secrets, regret, work, misunderstandings, meddlesome neighbors and dealing with difficult personalities. It's refreshing to read a book where the majority of the characters stand by each other ...more
Christine
Jul 31, 2009 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun little book with an ensemble cast of characters who form a prayer group and whose lives are woven together in interesting ways. Each chapter is told in the voice of one of the 6 main characters and includes a recipe that somehow is connected to the experiences. Some of those everyday/everybody recipes look really good! I enjoyed this book enough to run to the library the day I finished it and get the next in the series, "Trouble's Brewing." Who will win Donna's heart? Will Vernon e ...more
Lara
Mar 16, 2013 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd read a later book in the series first, not knowing. So that limited some of the surprises in the book for me, but still, tears came a couple of times.

My favorite part was about Chucky & the bear. I can't imagine having bears in the backyard, so it tickled both my funnybone and my imagination.

My least favorite part about these books is that each chapter is from a different character's point of view, so I always (ALWAYS!) had to go back to the chapter page to see who was talking. You'd thi
Lillie
The Potluck Club is made up of some colorful ladies. They enjoy their potluck meals and a little gossip along with their prayers for others. Each has her own story, and then there's the story of their interactions. I enjoyed reading about Christians portrayed realistically as flawed women living in an imperfect world.
Karol
Loved it! The characters seemed very real. I enjoyed the perspective of Clay Whitfield, the ace reporter of the small community, who tried so hard to get a handle on what this group of ladies were all about. But what I liked most was seeing how God worked to change the hearts of the women. Very engaging story.
Brenda Unger
Apr 25, 2016 Brenda Unger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2016
Such a great read! I really enjoyed how everyone evolved throughout the story. I also liked that God was a big part of this story. The power of Prayers were shown in this story. I hope one day I too will have a group of women like this to hang out with, share my life with and pray and support each other.
Angie
Jul 01, 2008 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a bit of a departure from what I normally read but I really enjoyed it and have subsequently read the two books that follow it. It follows 6 different womens lives and the trials and tribulations they go through. They women all have a "potluck prayer group" in which they meet to eat, support each other, and pray for one another.
Beth
Oct 20, 2008 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books (3 of them) are a good mix between the Jan Karon books and Yada-Yada Prayer Group Books. The lives of about 5 or 6 women in a potluck/prayer group that takes place in a small Colorado mountain town that is fashioned after Frisco, Colorado. The town's reporter is trying to figure out what goes on in these women's lives.
DeAnn
Sep 28, 2008 DeAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book and will read all the Potluck Club novels. Each member of the Potluck Club gets to narrate, so you see all sides of the story. It was a fun read and even comes with recipes! Reminds you that everyone you come in contact with has a story that completes who they are.
Wendy
It took me a while to get the characters straight as each character wrote in first person. It was a pretty quick read. I might try one more just to see if i would enjoy it better now that I have all the members straight in my head/ :)
Lanette
Dec 22, 2008 Lanette marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Picked this one up at the thrift store, too. Didn't realize it was Christian Fiction, but even better. Also didn't realize it is the first in a series, so that means I'll probably have to read the sequels, too...
Margaret
I like books with recipes and this had some good ones. the characters in the book all seem to have secrets but they live in a small town so will they be able to keep them. They meet once a month for friendship, food and prayer but a lot of gossiping goes on. A relaxing read.
Daphne
Mar 03, 2008 Daphne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It is written by two colorado authors. One lives in Longmont. The recipes talked about in the book are all at the end of the book so you can try them out at your home!
Mom
Oct 15, 2008 Mom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book very quickly. It drew my attention when it talked about a prayer group. I like that. It is good and has me ready to read other book they may have in this series.
Tammy
This is a great series. I'm ready for the 3rd one.
Teri Thompson
May 25, 2017 Teri Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought my mom this book for Mother's Day. She is recently retired and goes to lots of potlucks and events with church ladies. When I talked to her on Mother's Day she had just started reading but she wasn't caring so much for the book or the ladies in it she thought they were too gossipy.
So I bought the book to read and see the book if they were as bad as she was saying. The beginning deals with the backgrounds of the women and they are not perfect, which is one reason for a change or transfor
Wendy
May 05, 2017 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While being overtly "Christian", without being preachy, anyone expecting to read about pious and virtuous church ladies will be disappointed. The ladies of the Potluck Club are varied and interesting, and the reader is invited to hear the inner thoughts and prayers of each one. (Every chapter is written from the point of view of a different character.) They grow and mature as the group faces different events and challenges.

The only character that is completely static is the local reporter. He d
Jun 11, 2017 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book started off very slow. The multiple visits made it confusing at times to follow the different storylines. The ending was good but I felt like it was rushed compared to how much the stories were drawn out.

Two errors stood out to me since I'm from Texas. One of the characters is originally from Texas. The author included details in the story that Texans would know were incorrect and I don't them distracting. One: The character says she is from the Woodlands. The town is called The Woodla
Patricia Van Schaick
Just enough suspense to keep me reading late into the night

Every town has the same group of women and everyone always wonders what they are like. Well here they are. I have been able to match the characters to the group of women in the village where I grew up. It was pleasant to read something not so fantastical as to put it out of the realm of my life. they hank you for an enjoyable read.
Carina
Jun 16, 2017 Carina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's Okay

I thought this was a mystery, and frankly it could be improved with two or three bodies. The story's nice enough and the characters are well written. I quit about a third of the way in because it was realistically written enough small town drama that I felt like I was reading Facebook (right down to complaining about entitled and overly opinionated California transplants). A pity, because I want to enjoy the book.
Sheila Siler
May 03, 2017 Sheila Siler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!

What a delightful book! The characters are diverse and pretty realistic. I liked that there were multiple generations and hard issues were addressed well. Humor and sorrow were expressed well. Even though I felt like I knew what was going to happen, I still wanted to read and watch the story unfold. I loved all the different viewpoints. A great story.
Linda Dillon
May 15, 2017 Linda Dillon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Christian Story

I loved this story about the Potluck Club. I loved the lessons each one learned and no matter how difficult, they learned to maintain and grow their friendship with each other and their faith in God.
Trina
May 24, 2017 Trina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable

This story is a good reminder that we all have our own issues and secrets that we live with everyday. We all need God. We all need to remember to pray to Him and seek His guidance. Do yourself a favor and meet the potluckers!
Donna
I think the intentions were good in the writing of this book but it just didn't click with me. Very predictable, a weak story line and uninteresting characters. What I did like was the summary at the end of the book of recipes for each dish that the ladies of the Potluck Club made.
A slow start but it was an enjoyable read by the end (view spoiler)
Tammy Jones
Jun 03, 2017 Tammy Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put it down!

I found myself so engrossed in this story that I stayed up late several nights because I couldn't put this book down. Such a beautiful story with very real characters whose lives become so intertwined and great plot twists too.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #176 - The Potluck Club 1 1 Oct 28, 2014 12:31PM
  • Just As I Am (Just as I am #1)
  • Happily Ever After (Deep Haven, #1)
  • Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #1)
  • Gone to Green (Green #1)
  • The Big Five-OH!
  • After the Leaves Fall (Threads of Change #1)
  • Sweet Baklava
  • Charlotte Figg Takes Over Paradise (Bright's Pond #2)
  • Shattered: A Daughter's Regret (Secrets, #2)
  • The Homecoming
  • Heart of Stone (Irish Angel, #1)
  • It Happens Every Spring
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Rolling (The Yada Yada Prayer Group, Book 6)
  • A Time to Love (Quilts of Lancaster County, #1)
  • Blood Ransom (Mission Hope)
  • Sisterchicks on the Loose (Sisterchicks, #1)
  • All Through the Night
  • The Year She Fell
Author of When You Don't Know What to Pray-How to Talk to God About Anything & Potluck Club novels, speaker, TV host, President of Right to the Heart & AWSA.com
More about Linda Evans Shepherd...

The Potluck Club (6 books)
  • The Potluck Club Troubles Brewing (The Potluck Club #2)
  • The Potluck Club Takes the Cake (The Potluck Club #3)
  • The Secret's in the Sauce (Potluck Catering Club #1)
  • A Taste of Fame (Potluck Catering Club #2)
  • Bake Until Golden (Potluck Catering Club #3)

“Death,” she whispered. “It isn’t a punishment, you know, Lizzie. It’s the victory we race toward. We’re born, and God draws us to himself.” 0 likes
“Proverbs 3:5 says that if we trust in the Lord with all our heart and lean not on our own understanding, and in all our ways ac–Shepherd_ knowledge him, he will direct our paths.” 0 likes