Start by marking “Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4)” as Want to Read:
Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4)

Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires #4)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  21,337 ratings  ·  1,843 reviews
Times are hard for newly minted vampire Merit. Ever since shapeshifters announced their presence to the world, humans have been rallying against supernaturals—and they're camping outside of Cadogan House with protest signs that could turn to pitchforks at any moment. Inside its doors, things between Merit and her Master, green-eyed heartbreaker Ethan Sullivan, are tense. B...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by NAL Trade (first published April 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hard Bitten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Bitten

Kat Kennedy
It's going to be really difficult for me to give this book a rating because equally divergent parts of me both enjoyed and disliked aspects of this book. Thus I figured a nicely rounded three star rating accurately reflects my ambivalence toward this novel.

On the positive side, Hard Bitten is an easy to read and mostly enjoyable book providing that you enjoy the narration of the main character and protagonist, Merit.

Luckily I do enjoy her narration and respect her as a character.

This story, mor...more
Mrs. Badass

Spoiler Free, I think.

ADDED:
I am an admittedly emotional reviewer, and this book really pissed me off. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, and I have no ill will towards the author, Ms. Neill. I mostly enjoy these novels, but I cannot get behind cliffhangers. I know that if you read this review Ms. Neill, that you will take this personally, because you are human, and you are the creator of this universe in Merit Land, but I ask you to put aside your personal feelings, and know that I don't know you...more
Jen
Oct 13, 2011 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: neill
WTH. I cannot even describe how I feel right now. Wait, yes I can. Betrayed. That is how I feel. Betrayed. Depressed. Devastated. Pissed.

Out of simple respect for the author I will refrain from giving this book a 1 star rating until I read Drink Deep. However, I must say that I would have read Drink Deep anyway. I didn't need some big, horrible shocker to keep on with this series. I will not read the series past Drink Deep though, if it is not resolved in a way that I like.

Sorry, not really, bu...more
ൠSinful
OMG.

Speechless.

Breathless.

OMG.

This changes everything. Holy cow.
Go. Preorder this now. Plan to stay up late. Have alcohol near by. scratch that. Alcohol will make you fall asleep.... CHOCOLATE! That's it. You MUST have LOADS of chocolate. The book should come with a bar strapped to it. (and an oxygen tank.. I could really use an oxygen tank right about now)

I can't post my official review until it hits the review site first.. so I'll add it in May. After y'all read it and it's too late. Suffic...more
"That's All" Ash
*** Take Shelter. This Review Contains Spoiler-Bombs.***

photo tumblr_ma3ni9jU0L1qgn3cpo1_500-2.gif

For the record:

I was loving this series.
Loving it.

I had my cupcakes in one hand and vodka in the other; and I was friggin’ ready to hop on the “Chloe Neill” train, okay?

(Ash Pre-Book #4)
 photo tumblr_inline_mrl05zrt6D1qc9lhz.gif

And all the while I’m reading this series, I kept get warnings like, “Hey. Watch out for Book #4; it’s gonna kill you a little.”

And I would read and hear these warnings and then I’d do that thing where you kind of snort and you kind of laugh and your gra...more
The Flooze
I declare Chloe Neill to be a ballsy bitch. I’m thinking loophole because of one detail in the final pages, but that’s all I’ll discuss about the ending.

I had some problems with the third installment. I’m pleased to say they didn't crop up again in Hard Bitten. Merit’s snark was back up to par, Ethan garnered the right amount of sympathy, and Mallory was a friend rather than an irritation. Recapping was kept to a minimum, with Neill dishing out just enough to jar my memory. The pacing was smooth...more
Catherine
If you haven’t read any of the previous books I strongly recommend that you do not jump into the series here. A large draw for the series is Ethan and Merit and their connection. Their attraction grows with each book and it’s best to read them in order and watch the tension build. Plus, you’ll probably be lost about the current situation with the humans if you haven’t at least read the last book.

Starting this book, I was pretty nervous. The last book, Twice Bitten, took me high and then it drop...more
Flannery
Holy curveball, Batman! As I was nearing the end of this book, I kept thinking, “Oh, I totally know what the crazy jawdropper at the end of this book is going to be. Come on people, duhhh” as I paged through the windup. NOPE, it turns out this book just wiped that smug look off my face. I will put spoilers in this review where spoilers are due but LISTEN UP, COMPULSIVE SPOILER CLICKERS!! If you click on the spoilers and intend to read this book, you might as well get a Flannery-shaped voodoo dol...more
Mariya
Oh, Chloe Neill, you might as well have just staked me. Hard Bitten will leave you speechless, breathless and possibly leave you full of many many emotions. I loved it and hated it at the same time. And you will get my meaning when you flip to the last page of this book.

You guys have no idea how much I want to explode right now, explode all the secrets of this book, but I won't. I pray that the next week goes by fast so I can finally discuss with all my buddies, but this book was a roller coast...more
Juliana

Post Script, written October 2011 (don't read unless you've read #5): (view spoiler)

Okay, so it was fantastic!!! So great. I loved Ethan in it (as always) and I finally loved (well ... liked a lot) Merit as well. The other characters were great as always and the subplot was really well-done.

The best of the series so far, IMO, though this is a series that you have...more
Lisa O.
Gosh, am I pissed at this book. Angry. Could I go back and choose I wouldn't even read it now. I would wait and pick it up together with Drink Deep in November.

Neill, you cannot possibly bore me for almost 200 pages and then drop the bomb 10 pages from the back cover. I feel betrayed and irritated because this screams very much like a mean marketing strategy. This isn't even a cliffhanger. This is what cliffhangers hang on. Do I make sense? Probably not.
You know, of the people who read this on...more
Bonnie
I thought long and hard about what I wanted to say in my review but I simply couldn't find the words necessary that wouldn't also give the book away. So in the end I decided that I was going to sum it up with this:

Sophia (FV)
Mandi Schreiner
Natasha
An emotional masterpiece!
First of, if your new to this series, it isn't a stand alone series. so id recommend/suggest you start on book on. Next off, as series go, this is on my top 5 favorites list. Each book was an utter delight but this book just blew me away.

In past reviews, I raved on my love for Ethan Sullivan, the master of the Cadogan house, bu until this novel, we weren't giving him the respect he deserved. As a character, he grew personality and emotionally wise. As a male character,...more
Susie
Now that I've had a good night's rest, some time to digest, read other people's thoughts, and the author's few statements, here is where I'm at...

Action = I'll read Drink Deep and decide whether I'll continue with the series or abandon it and pretend that the last 2 books didn't happen (ends for me at Twice Bitten).

Rant #2 = I'm a bit annoyed at some reviews where they call this move bold, gutsy and/or an action other authors would never risk. Really? What books have they been reading? (view sp...more
Lady Allison
I finally read it.

But I don't think I can review it. I love Merit & Ethan. It's still too painful.

This is me:

[image error]

I am SO glad I waited until more books were released so I didn't have to torture myself with that ending. Now to read how she intends to fix this mess...
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
*4.5 stars*

…he stroked my jawline with his thumb. “You can run. You can keep running to the ends of the earth. But I won’t be far behind you.”

Oh. My. God. Really?? Reeeeaallyyy?? Ugh, that was a low blow. It’s not that I didn’t think this would inevitably happen in one of these books, it’s more that I didn’t expect it to happen so early. It was epic, amazing….unexpected. It was everything I’ve wanted from my latest obsession (cough, Ethan, cough), but everything that could bring my world crashi...more
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Ok, seriously, DO NOT READ THE SPOILER BELOW IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THIS BOOK. It will seriously ruin it for you. Don't be tempted, thinking that it won't matter and you'll still read the book. Because, it is a huge spoiler.

(view spoiler)
AH
I'm in shock...

Ms. Neill, that was truly diabolical of you. You know what I’m talking about. There I was innocently reading one of my favorite series thinking about how happy I’d be if only – then – BAM! You pull the rug right from under me!

I screamed. I was upset. My status update said simply “NOOOOOO!!!!” I almost threw the book across the room. I didn’t because I am anal about keeping my books in pristine condition.

Wow. That was awfully brave of you.

I must say that you are a very smart writ...more
Wendy Darling
HOLY CRAP.

I don't think I can write a coherent review. You have punched me in the face, Chloe Neill. Now you'd better put some ice on it.

There was a tiny part of me that thought some things that happened were out of character throughout the book, but...I so did not see this coming. What the heck happens now...?
Aimee (Coffee Table Reviews)
I'm having a hard time with my review of Hard Bitten. I had notes about what I wanted to point out but when I got to the last few chapters, it's all I can think about. Not sure if that is the way it was supposed to be, but that is the way it is, at least with me. I'm not completely sure what Chloe Neill has in store for the next one, but it seems she's left a window open for hope. The only thing that sucks completely is, I can't tell you guys. I can't talk about it for at least another two weeks...more
new_user
Chloe Neill, you've won me back! When she's on her game, she's on her game. Other authors try, but only Neill succeeds. Ne'er a dull noun in the bunch and super tight prose.

Some time ago, I whined that Friday Night Bites , last installment in the Chicagoland Vampires, was absent the witty, funny voice that had my heart pitter-pattering in Some Girls Bite, book one.

Neill made up for it.

In Hard Bitten, female lead Merit exchanges witty, Gilmore Girls repartee with Jeff, Catcher, Mallory, and th...more
valee
I really disliked the ending. Not the whole book, but the ending killed all my fascination with the series. I would've rated it higher but I just can't with an ending like this one. The book was great but when something as big as this happens right at the end it changes everything. These are the reasons for why I am completely against this book:

(view spoiler)...more
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Wow… I just finished reading this and I’m still trying to catch my breath. I saw, before starting it, many people cursing the author because she did something really bad in Hard Bitten. I hate spoilers so I tried so damn hard avoiding any hint that would ruin the experience of reading this for me. Now I was sure something will happen, I won’t say what, and in the end it happened exactly how I imagined it. More or less…

Wow again… my heart is still beating faster; I was so damn close to crying… I...more
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
W.O.W. I thought Twice Bitten was great but this blows it out of the water. The only bad part about this book was knowing that something major was going to happen and trying to figure out what it is!

Ethan is still trying to get back into Merit's good graces and we get a lot of sweet moments but there is something going on with the vampire raves and of course, Merit has to find out what. Mallory is still learning her magic but we do get some good interactions between her and Merit...especially at...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under The Covers

Chicago is in a bit of an uproar against vampires, who are being accused of murdering humans at raves. Ethan has a warrant for his arrest out from the CPD. Cadogan House is still under repairs. Humans are protesting outside the House.

Merit is now forced to investigate these human murders to clear Ethan's name, using Jonah as an ally, they try to infiltrate the raves to gather information, and stumble upon a drug that is making vampires crazy and brings o...more
Patti Loves FAB Romance
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Hal-le-freakin-lujah. I finally finished this book after how many months?

First attempt : March 2012

Second attempt : August 2012

Can you really blame me when I had this book's ending spoiled for me way back when it was first released? I ended up reading Hard Bitten in 3 separate parts because my motivation was stolen, given the fact that I knew what was up ahead.

Since then I've had books 5 and 6 spoiled for me, so I really should either quit reading this series, or get caught up so I can read the...more
Sonya
Quick, fun read until the last few pages.

I find major events occurring at the very end of the book frustrating. I prefer each book to be able to stand alone, but still be a part of the whole (the series). If a series is good, I don’t have to be manipulated into buying the next book with an OMG! moment occurring at the end that will have me rushing out to buy the next book as soon as it is available.

I’m also a little frustrated because I’m wondering if the author will somehow “un-do” what happen...more
I'm done with this series now.... 17 117 Jun 21, 2014 05:26AM
ARE U KIDDING ME???!!!!!!(spoiler) 47 299 Dec 15, 2013 06:26PM
Goodreads Librari...: Jumbled editions? 3 21 Nov 19, 2011 04:50AM
  • The Renfield Syndrome (Rhiannon's Law, #2)
  • Green-Eyed Demon (Sabina Kane, #3)
  • Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors (Jane Jameson, #4)
  • Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)
  • One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress #6)
  • Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)
  • Kate's Daddy (Curran POV, #3)
  • Fury's Kiss (Dorina Basarab, #3)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #3)
  • Burn the Night (Dark Days, #6)
  • Sins of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #4)
Chloe Neill was born and raised in the South, but now makes her home in the Midwest—just close enough to Cadogan House and St. Sophia's to keep an eye on things. When not transcribing Merit’s and Lily’s adventures, she bakes, works, and scours the Internet for good recipes and great graphic design. Chloe also maintains her sanity by spending time with her boys—her husband (also her favorite landsc...more
More about Chloe Neill...
Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3) Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5) Biting Cold (Chicagoland Vampires, #6)

“Ethan—”

“No. I will never be far behind you.” He tipped up my chin so that I could do nothing else but look back into his eyes. “Do the things you need to do. Learn to be a vampire, to be a warrior, to be the soldier you are capable of being. But consider the possibility that I made a mistake I regret—and that I’ll continue to regret that mistake and try to convince you to give me another chance until the earth stops turning.”
284 likes
“Be stubborn if you wish to, if you need to, but we know how this will end.” 118 likes