Start by marking “I Will Fight No More Forever: Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce War” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
I Will Fight No More F...

Merrill D. Beal

I Will Fight No More Forever: Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce War

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  270 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Softcover - historical narrative of the Nez Perce Ware and Chief Joseph
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published July 12th 1979 by Ballantine Books (Mm) (first published January 1st 1963)

Shannon
Jun 16, 2008 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I attended grade school on an Indian reservation and this story was shown in movie form every year during Indian week. I have always loved this book. Here is a quote, from Chief Joseph,to depict how the book got it's title:

"Tell General Howard I know his heart. What he told me before, I have it in my heart. I am tired of fighting. Our chiefs are killed; Looking Glass is dead, Too-hul-hul-sote is dead. The old men are all dead. It is the young men who say yes or no. He who led on the young men is
Karen
May 07, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this over 30 years ago when I was reading everything I could get my hands on about the American Indians and our government's wars to exterminate them.

Heartbreaking. Right up there with Bury My Heart in Wounded Knee.
Dawn Livingston
I have to admit that I did not finish this book. It has nothing to do with the quality of this book however. I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I just don't like non-fiction as much as I used to. I would say that if you like non-fiction, history in general, native americans, 19th century history in particular or US history or the Old West you really should read this book. It gives insight into the Nez Perce indians, military strategy, etc. To some this book I'm sure would be well worth the read ...more
Max
Jan 22, 2014 Max rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe this is still such a popular book on the subject. The author's perspective on Native Americans is painfully condescending and eurocentric. I ditched the book pretty quickly after the first few chapters repeatedly referred to the native populations as "heathens" or "uncivilized" and described how missionaries were "bringing civilization" to them. No, dude. They had a civilization. We destroyed it. Beal relies exclusively on white sources as far as I can tell, and made no effort to ...more
John Johnson
Oct 03, 2013 John Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was raised in Idaho so I am familiar with the territory in which this story took place and with the history of Chief Joseph. The following heart wrenching quote by Chief Joseph is one of the finest speeches that have been uttered on our continent, in my estimation.

Linda
Oct 12, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My heart breaks for Joseph and the Nez Perce. "When will the white man stop lying?" A simple question, really, but I fear the answer is never. This should be essential reading for everyone. The first 2/3 plods through the history and battles and movements and migrations and Indians and generals, but any dryness is more than made up for by the emotional final third and the fact that every child in the U.S. should grow up knowing this story although few do. I was inspired to read this by my grandf ...more
Fay Fawcett
Aug 10, 2015 Fay Fawcett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will fight no more, forever is suppose to be the surrender speech of Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce.Interesting and heart breaking story of the plight of the Nez Perce last stand.
Troy G
Aug 13, 2011 Troy G rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
When I was a child, one of the things I enjoyed most was when my father read to me. I will fight no more forever was one of the most memorable books that he read to me. So memorable that I returned to it once I reached adulthood.

The story is compelling, marking a chapter in American history that hasn't been given its due. I was enthralled by the history, but the story, and the characters were not as compelling. They werarchetypeses that existed to express the history.

I expect that I will read t
Reddy Katz
May 11, 2014 Reddy Katz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
in the end i decided not to read it, i began but it didnt appeal to me in any form
Janet
Jun 10, 2010 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book for my youthful Classical Summer Book Club. A very dry read, written years ago with historical documents, accounts of battles, and lists of the living and the dead. Well, all of them are dead now actually. Yet it is important to remember and honor those who came before us. This is an example of what happens when a Nation becomes a conquered peoples.....why we must defend well America militarily against all threats.
+Chaz
Nov 28, 2008 +Chaz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Typical Indian history in the States in 1877. Peaceful Nez Perce tribe doing what was asked, of them but setting on land the whites wanted. Chief Joseph, a peace loving man was forced to teach the US Army how to fight using delaying tactics that are still taught. It was bloody and the last historic war of the American Indians and a noble Chief. If you’re interested in American Indians, this must be read.
Nick
Sep 07, 2007 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While rafting and then visiting friends in north central Idaho, I finally read this history of the Nez Perce war. This excellent history describes the confluence of conflicting needs and desires which led to a war no one wanted that killed hundreds. I was most struck by the Nez Perce efforts to avoid doing violence even to white settlers as they fled their homeland for safe haven.
john
Aug 28, 2007 john rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent and in-depth account of the story of Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce fighting the US Army during the settlement of the West. Goes into the stories of not just the Nez Perce, but also the other tribes involved in the rebellion, and the misunderstandings and mistakes on both sides that led to the bloodshed.

Dry at times, but thorough and impartial.
Nigel Williamson
Heartbreaking, horrifying, a true testament to man's ability to inflict inhumanity on his fellow man; After reading this I was left with a hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach and a sense of loss I still feel today after all those years. This book haunts me, and it should; some things should never be forgotten.
Fredrick Danysh
When the Nez Perce Indians rebelled against the United States government, they tried to escape to Canada while being chased by three separate US armies. This is the story of their over 3,000 mile trek through the areas of the Pacific Northwest.
Tamra
Jul 30, 2010 Tamra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, almost text book-like but a fair representation of weaknesses and strengths of both sides of the Nez Perce War. I came away with a liking for Chief Joseph and a sadness for all involved.
Kurt
Probably the best book to be found specifically on the Nez Perce War of 1877 for those who don't want to be overwhelmed with military and background detail. Fantastic!
Ciara
Feb 06, 2008 Ciara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
Another one I think should be required reading. No fancy heroics, no idolization of white folk, just the sad truth of the story. I hope it makes you cry.
Toby White
I thought this was a very well written and informative report on the Nes Perce War! Well worth a read if you're into your history.
Valerie
Jan 29, 2009 Valerie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Valerie by: Dad
Again, stolen from my Dad. I wonder if he has any books left?
Daniel
Jul 13, 2012 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it a couple of times
Clay
Clay is currently reading it
Feb 09, 2016
Shuhrab Sujon
Shuhrab Sujon rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Becky Shattuck
Becky Shattuck marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Jarred Zelenski
Jarred Zelenski marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Amy Wels
Amy Wels rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
R.L. Herron
R.L. Herron marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Elliott Burley
Elliott Burley rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Shayan Mughal
Shayan Mughal rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
  • Tough Trip Through Paradise, 1878-1879
  • Crazy Horse: The Strange Man of the Oglalas
  • Chief Joseph & the Flight of the Nez Perce: The Untold Story of an American Tragedy
  • The Last Indian War: The Nez Perce Story
  • Native American Testimony: A Chronicle of Indian-White Relations from Prophecy to the Present
  • Once They Moved Like The Wind: Cochise, Geronimo, And The Apache Wars
  • 500 Nations: An Illustrated History of North American Indians
  • The Comanche Empire
  • The Lance and the Shield: The Life and Times of Sitting Bull
  • Stolen Continents: 500 Years of Conquest and Resistance in the Americas
  • Rabbit Stew and a Penny or Two: A Gypsy Family's Hard Times and Happy Times on the Road in the 1950s
  • The Conquerors: A Narrative
  • Comanches: The Destruction of a People
  • Andrew Jackson and His Indian Wars
  • Black Elk: The Sacred Ways of a Lakota
  • The Cherokee Nation and the Trail of Tears: The Penguin Library of American Indian History series
  • Ishi in Two Worlds: A Biography of the Last Wild Indian in North America